Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bennetts / McGuinness 10:13 - Dec 16 with 1150 viewsSomethingBlue

On a positive note, that was a really good first half from Bennetts last night so let's hope he isn't out for long (I know ... ). Took up intelligent positions, played with purpose, great run and finish for the goal & could have had a couple more, use of the ball in general was better too. There's a big, if raw, talent in there so hopefully we can get an important half-season out of him.

A bit concerned about McGuinness, he does some really good things and for long periods looks a class act. But he does make several misjudgements a game and his two yesterday should have cost us. His timing tends to be a bit off — especially with a bouncing ball, as with their chance near the end. Reminds me a bit of Matthew Pennington, albeit with more impressive attributes and a much higher ceiling IMO but you'll get what I mean. He'll be a very good player for someone but worried about what he will cost us in there over a full season and think we really need KVY back/Chambo inside as soon as we can.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

They are both playing like exactly what they are..... on 10:22 - Dec 16 with 1102 viewsBloots

....talented youngsters that haven't had enough first team experience to learn how to consistently apply it in a match situation.

That's not a moan, it's just the reality of our situation. We aren't a club that are in the position to get those youngsters that can produce match in/match out or over a full 90 minutes.

It was good to see Bennetts taking risks last night (actually even McG "broke the lines" a couple of times), those people saying he has no end product are missing the point that we don't even get into positions where we can waste the end product enough!

Bennetts reminds me of AMN when he was here to some degree, there are probably other examples of youngsters that we have had as well. We need to accept that even the loanees we get are only here as a stepping stone to another loan period at a higher level, the Championship.

Totally agree on Chambers, he needs to get back into the middle ASAP.

I've said this before, and I know it will get shot down, but we also miss Skuse. If we are going to persist with 2 holding midfielders than his influence there would be invaluable. Albeit it's probably a couple of seasons too late now.

Lambert out.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Bennetts / McGuinness on 10:26 - Dec 16 with 1077 viewsJakeITFC

Probably both of their best games for us yesterday, which is worrying on the McGuinness side as you're right to say that he still almost cost us two goals in a good overall display.

It has to be said that it was easier for the widemen to be involved as the ball sticked to Hawkins a bit more - our play was still largely ponderous and ended up with long balls so it was nice to have occasional success when this did happen. He is very effective in that role - I'd rather we embraced it a bit more and tried to get bodies around and beyond him because he wins his headers and brings the ball down so well.
They are both playing like exactly what they are..... on 10:29 - Dec 16 with 1061 viewsSomethingBlue

They are both playing like exactly what they are..... on 10:22 - Dec 16 by Bloots

....talented youngsters that haven't had enough first team experience to learn how to consistently apply it in a match situation.

That's not a moan, it's just the reality of our situation. We aren't a club that are in the position to get those youngsters that can produce match in/match out or over a full 90 minutes.

It was good to see Bennetts taking risks last night (actually even McG "broke the lines" a couple of times), those people saying he has no end product are missing the point that we don't even get into positions where we can waste the end product enough!

Bennetts reminds me of AMN when he was here to some degree, there are probably other examples of youngsters that we have had as well. We need to accept that even the loanees we get are only here as a stepping stone to another loan period at a higher level, the Championship.

Totally agree on Chambers, he needs to get back into the middle ASAP.

I've said this before, and I know it will get shot down, but we also miss Skuse. If we are going to persist with 2 holding midfielders than his influence there would be invaluable. Albeit it's probably a couple of seasons too late now.

Lambert out.

Agree on the youngsters and you are also right on Skuse — much as he wouldn't be in the first-choice side with everyone available, I'm pretty sure we'd have eked out another couple of points with him in there.

Bennetts / McGuinness on 10:31 - Dec 16 with 1052 viewsSomethingBlue

Bennetts / McGuinness on 10:26 - Dec 16 by JakeITFC

Probably both of their best games for us yesterday, which is worrying on the McGuinness side as you're right to say that he still almost cost us two goals in a good overall display.

It has to be said that it was easier for the widemen to be involved as the ball sticked to Hawkins a bit more - our play was still largely ponderous and ended up with long balls so it was nice to have occasional success when this did happen. He is very effective in that role - I'd rather we embraced it a bit more and tried to get bodies around and beyond him because he wins his headers and brings the ball down so well.

Hawkins is such a strange player, sometimes looks really good at that job but on other occasions looks really flimsy "for a big man". Did have some effective moments yesterday and people running off him is probably the best way to get people into the box given our issues with that.

Bennetts / McGuinness on 11:09 - Dec 16 with 970 viewsX0Y0

Agree with that. Another positive would be Dozzell more often taking up positions on the edge of their box and looked creative in the final third. Too often he has been sat so deep in midfield that it has limited the effectiveness of his creativity. It's tough to play a killer pass from inside your own half, unless on a fast counter and that is not really our style of play.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2020 11:10]
Bennetts / McGuinness on 11:11 - Dec 16 with 947 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Bennetts / McGuinness on 10:31 - Dec 16 by SomethingBlue

Hawkins is such a strange player, sometimes looks really good at that job but on other occasions looks really flimsy "for a big man". Did have some effective moments yesterday and people running off him is probably the best way to get people into the box given our issues with that.

He is just a poor Will Keane, for me. Not sure why we signed him instead of keeping Keane.

Bennetts definitely getting there, hopefully his injury is not too bad.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Bennetts / McGuinness on 11:18 - Dec 16 with 910 viewstractorboy1978

Bennetts / McGuinness on 11:11 - Dec 16 by JammyDodgerrr

He is just a poor Will Keane, for me. Not sure why we signed him instead of keeping Keane.

Bennetts definitely getting there, hopefully his injury is not too bad.

Keane couldn't win a header for a start.
Bennetts / McGuinness on 11:34 - Dec 16 with 878 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Bennetts / McGuinness on 11:18 - Dec 16 by tractorboy1978

Keane couldn't win a header for a start.

Well, when Hawkins wins a header, who knows where it will go. So many bounce off him or he simply doesn't challenge. At least Keane is good with his feet and his movement is clever. You would love to play against Hawkins as a CB. Just let him back into you then beat him to the header.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Login to get fewer ads

Bennetts / McGuinness on 11:39 - Dec 16 with 853 viewsjayessess

Both McGuinness and Bennetts look like all they need is a touch more composure and a little improvement in decision-making to be really excellent for us. You can probably afford to have a winger learning that on the job for you, a centre half not so much.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2020 13:12]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Bennetts / McGuinness on 12:53 - Dec 16 with 778 viewsHerbivore

Having a raw attacking player as a wide forward isn't really an issue. He'll make poor decisions but they won't cost us much and when he does something good then, like last night, it can contribute to us winning a match. It's worrying to hear that McGuiness made two errors that could have led to goals alongside him giving the ball away poorly for the goal they did score. He does have some good attributes but he is making far too many mistakes and you can't have a rookie making those mistakes in defence when you won't get the long term benefit of them becoming a better player for it. Definitely need Chambers back alongside Woolfie in the centre as soon as possible.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Bennetts / McGuinness on 13:00 - Dec 16 with 750 viewsSuperblue95

Bennetts / McGuinness on 11:34 - Dec 16 by JammyDodgerrr

Well, when Hawkins wins a header, who knows where it will go. So many bounce off him or he simply doesn't challenge. At least Keane is good with his feet and his movement is clever. You would love to play against Hawkins as a CB. Just let him back into you then beat him to the header.

Keane was garbage and injury prone on top.

The fact that he lingered around this club as long as he did just sums us up really. A nice easy wage for injured, ineffective journeymen

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024