Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who would accept a more defensive approach v Pboro? 19:48 - Dec 17 with 1614 viewsBent_double

and accept a boring 0-0, or even nick it 1-0 if we get lucky?

I'm not a fan of setting out 'not to lose' per se, but in light of our awful record against the top teams, I think I would accept Lambert doing this - away from home especially.

We've already shown how poor we are at attacking the better teams, so why bother trying, and who knows, we may frustrate them enough to sneak a lucky win!

With the league being so tight atm, it's more important that we don't give other potential top-six teams 3 easy points, much better a point each, right?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

More defensive??!?? (n/t) on 19:50 - Dec 17 with 1599 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

More defensive??!?? (n/t) on 19:54 - Dec 17 with 1571 viewsBent_double

More defensive??!?? (n/t) on 19:50 - Dec 17 by Bloots

You know what I mean....

9 across the back!

Who would accept a more defensive approach v Pboro? on 20:50 - Dec 17 with 1485 viewsWD19

Parking the bus to try and steal a result against Peterborough....

#superblues
Who would accept a more defensive approach v Pboro? on 20:51 - Dec 17 with 1479 viewscressi

Who would accept a more defensive approach v Pboro? on 20:50 - Dec 17 by WD19

#superblues

Any approach that wins games
Who would accept a more defensive approach v Pboro? on 20:54 - Dec 17 with 1477 viewsWD19

Who would accept a more defensive approach v Pboro? on 20:51 - Dec 17 by cressi

Any approach that wins games

As long as it’s not boring obviously.

Otherwise we will have to start calling the manager a nonce again.

Nobody wants to have to do that.
Who would accept a more defensive approach v Pboro? on 20:56 - Dec 17 with 1472 viewsBent_double

#superblues

With no Edwards, maybe no Bennetts, I hardly expect us to be peppering their goal with shots for 90 mins, so just being pragmatic: don't lose, don't let them get another 3 points ahead.

This is just for the top-six teams away from home, bit late for some of the home games anyway - we need to be hard to beat whilst Lamberts still here and 4 or 5 of our better players are out injured.

Who would accept a more defensive approach v Pboro? on 21:05 - Dec 17 with 1438 viewsSeablu

Who would accept a more defensive approach v Pboro? on 20:56 - Dec 17 by Bent_double

With no Edwards, maybe no Bennetts, I hardly expect us to be peppering their goal with shots for 90 mins, so just being pragmatic: don't lose, don't let them get another 3 points ahead.

This is just for the top-six teams away from home, bit late for some of the home games anyway - we need to be hard to beat whilst Lamberts still here and 4 or 5 of our better players are out injured.

With PL in charge, I wouldn’t expect us to be peppering their goal if we had Pele & Puskas available.
The fact is, we fall hideously into a none category.
We aren’t negative, we aren’t positive, we’re just meh.
Poor defensively, unable to offer anything in attack.
I’d accept anything that vaguely resembles a tactical approach.
If we parked the bus, PL would leave the handbrake off and watch it trundle helplessly into the undergrowth.
Who would accept a more defensive approach v Pboro? on 21:07 - Dec 17 with 1436 viewsBlueBadger

We can't really be much more defensive than we are already.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Who would accept a more defensive approach v Pboro? on 21:15 - Dec 17 with 1420 viewsMetal_Hacker

Who would accept a more defensive approach v Pboro? on 21:07 - Dec 17 by BlueBadger

We can't really be much more defensive than we are already.

11 goalkeepers 🤷🏼‍♂️

Poll: If it were one or the other

Who would accept a more defensive approach v Pboro? on 21:16 - Dec 17 with 1416 viewsBlueBadger

#superblues

What a time to be alive!

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Who would accept a more defensive approach v Pboro? on 21:27 - Dec 17 with 1404 viewsFtnfwest

Well that’s how we played for a number of years in the championship so why not?
Who would accept a more defensive approach v Pboro? on 21:32 - Dec 17 with 1397 viewsPJH

Who would accept a more defensive approach v Pboro? on 21:27 - Dec 17 by Ftnfwest

Well that’s how we played for a number of years in the championship so why not?

championship?

Oh yes, I remember.
Who would accept a more defensive approach v Pboro? on 21:38 - Dec 17 with 1388 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I don't think we are actually good enough defensively to have a backs-to-the-wall defensive performance for a 0-0 effectively against Peterborough. We need to offer them some sort of a threat to worry about. Indeed, we need to learn to compete against these sides regardless of whether we are missing players.

How about:
1 Looking to pass the ball inside the Peterborough half;
2 Getting players like Dobra, Huws, Jackson to run with the ball into their box;
3 Looking to shoot when we do get in and around the opposition box?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Who would accept a more defensive approach v Pboro? on 21:40 - Dec 17 with 1385 viewsWD19

Who would accept a more defensive approach v Pboro? on 21:38 - Dec 17 by Nthsuffolkblue

I don't think we are actually good enough defensively to have a backs-to-the-wall defensive performance for a 0-0 effectively against Peterborough. We need to offer them some sort of a threat to worry about. Indeed, we need to learn to compete against these sides regardless of whether we are missing players.

How about:
1 Looking to pass the ball inside the Peterborough half;
2 Getting players like Dobra, Huws, Jackson to run with the ball into their box;
3 Looking to shoot when we do get in and around the opposition box?

Maybe we need the players to tell Lambert they can do that kind of stuff.

Then he will give it a go.
Who would accept a more defensive approach v Pboro? on 21:45 - Dec 17 with 1373 viewsFtnfwest

Who would accept a more defensive approach v Pboro? on 21:32 - Dec 17 by PJH

championship?

Oh yes, I remember.

The depressing thing is actually getting promoted back to it if we could even manage it fills me with dread
Who would accept a more defensive approach v Pboro? on 21:51 - Dec 17 with 1357 viewsPortman_Pie

I’d wholeheartedly support a defensive formation to get an away draw. So too would Mourinho.

But we are manager by Shambert, who knows no other tactics than 1 formation.

Therefore we’re screwed and will obviously lose. Bet your house, car, life on it with this fraud in charge still.
Who would accept a more defensive approach v Pboro? on 21:55 - Dec 17 with 1347 viewsBlueBadger

Who would accept a more defensive approach v Pboro? on 21:51 - Dec 17 by Portman_Pie

I’d wholeheartedly support a defensive formation to get an away draw. So too would Mourinho.

But we are manager by Shambert, who knows no other tactics than 1 formation.

Therefore we’re screwed and will obviously lose. Bet your house, car, life on it with this fraud in charge still.

Remember when we all got upset about playing for draws in the Championship, because it was 'embracing mediocrity'?

Who would accept a more defensive approach v Pboro? on 22:29 - Dec 17 with 1287 viewsjudespiveyg

Who would accept a more defensive approach v Pboro? on 21:55 - Dec 17 by BlueBadger

Remember when we all got upset about playing for draws in the Championship, because it was 'embracing mediocrity'?

Accepting a draw before kick off is embracing mediocrity though, no matter the division or opponent, I don't think anyone would dispute that though. (obviously if you're down to 10 and its 1-1 in the 89th minute its different).

You should always, always play to win (and win in the right way), even if single point gets you promoted. The entire point of being a football fan is to be entertained.

Take Leicester in the Premiership, or Crewe in our division, they attack everyone despite not having close to the best squads in their respective divisions. I've still yet to see an Ipswich manager who's not afraid to just go for it.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2020 22:42]

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Who would accept a more defensive approach v Pboro? on 22:34 - Dec 17 with 1273 viewsThatMuhrenCross

In any league in the world, a hard-earned point away to your promotion rivals is a fantastic result.

Treat it like a cup final, stay compact and organised, and hit them on the counter. Doesn't matter that it's only Peterborough - right now we're only a League One team with League One standard players too.

Poll: Ipswich offer you 10k a week, Norwich offer you 20k. Who do you join?
Blog: The Cashless Debate

Who would accept a more defensive approach v Pboro? on 22:53 - Dec 17 with 1244 viewsmattyhollandsirish

I'd accept any "approach" of note. That's half the problem isn't it, in that we have no idea what approach/tactics we're trying to implement. Would be delighted with a 0-0. I don't think a single one of us can see us keeping a clean sheet at Posh though. Home banker.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024