Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who is the 5th Beatle? 09:22 - Dec 18 with 2562 viewsitfcjoe

In recent days I've gone back to Mark Lewisohn's definitive Beatles book, All These Years.

It truly is an epic, and well worth a read for any Beatles fan.....

I come away from it thinking, that there is no doubt that the 5th Beatle is Brian Epstein, without him and his backing in time and money, borne out of a love for the boys and what they could do then it's not a stretch to think they'd have just drifted away to nothingness on the Liverpool scene.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:26 - Dec 18 with 2166 viewsblueislander

I always though it was Pete Best.
Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:28 - Dec 18 with 2158 viewsEJP

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:26 - Dec 18 by blueislander

Stuart Sutcliffe...
Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:30 - Dec 18 with 2150 viewsitfcjoe

It's a term that has been bandied about....

Stuart Sutcliffe and Pete Best as members of the band

Brian Epstein

George Martin

Nell Aspinall who I think still manages their brand and output

Billy Preston who was in the Let It Be sessions

And plenty of others have been coined the 5th Beatle

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:31 - Dec 18 with 2146 viewsEJP

I’ve always had a problem with “5th Beatle”. To me there are/were 4 Beatles - John, Paul, George and Ringo. Brian Epstein and George Martin were huge influences on the 4, but were not Beatles per se.

The Beatles to me were born in Hamburg and were shaped over the years with the assistance of Brian, George M, Neil Aspinall etc.
Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:31 - Dec 18 with 2142 viewsfactual_blue

I guess it depends on what the question really is. Stuart Sutcliffe was literally a fifth Beatle. Pete Best was a Beatle but (for a variety of reasons) kicked out by the others. George Martin was the fifth Beatle in terms of his creative input. Brian Epstein was key in getting them to the top.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:32 - Dec 18 with 2137 viewsEJP

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:30 - Dec 18 by itfcjoe

Brian Epstein

George Martin

Neil died a few years back but did head up Apple (and had a son with Pete Best’s mother!)

Billy Preston was going to be my other shout!
Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:33 - Dec 18 with 2132 viewsfactual_blue

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:30 - Dec 18 by itfcjoe

Brian Epstein

George Martin

And on Pointless the other day was an old bloke who actually started The Quarrymen and asked John Lennon (his schoolmate) to join.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:35 - Dec 18 with 2119 viewsWarkystache

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:28 - Dec 18 by EJP

Stuart Sutcliffe...

Pete Sutcliffe

Oh.....

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Login to get fewer ads

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:36 - Dec 18 with 2117 viewsitfcjoe

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:31 - Dec 18 by EJP

I’ve always had a problem with “5th Beatle”. To me there are/were 4 Beatles - John, Paul, George and Ringo. Brian Epstein and George Martin were huge influences on the 4, but were not Beatles per se.

The Beatles to me were born in Hamburg and were shaped over the years with the assistance of Brian, George M, Neil Aspinall etc.

If they were born in hamburg then surely just 3 Beatles as no Ringo.....! But I get your point, that is where they perfected their craft, which allowed them to come back to Liverpool and earn enough to make it viable in the short term to give it a proper go.

The more you read about it, the more you realise that without Brian there would be no Beatles though as we know it - others obviously had big impacts at different times - but without him therw would have been no band to have an impact on.

So many things had to fall perfectly into place at the right time, lots of different alternate universes out there where they didn't

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:38 - Dec 18 with 2100 viewsGlasgowBlue

George Martin. Without doubt,

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:39 - Dec 18 with 2095 viewsGlasgowBlue

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:33 - Dec 18 by factual_blue

And on Pointless the other day was an old bloke who actually started The Quarrymen and asked John Lennon (his schoolmate) to join.

Pete Shotton?

Iron Lion Zion

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:40 - Dec 18 with 2097 viewsEJP

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:36 - Dec 18 by itfcjoe

If they were born in hamburg then surely just 3 Beatles as no Ringo.....! But I get your point, that is where they perfected their craft, which allowed them to come back to Liverpool and earn enough to make it viable in the short term to give it a proper go.

The more you read about it, the more you realise that without Brian there would be no Beatles though as we know it - others obviously had big impacts at different times - but without him therw would have been no band to have an impact on.

So many things had to fall perfectly into place at the right time, lots of different alternate universes out there where they didn't

Fair point about Ringo, but... they knew of him on the circuit and he played with them in Hamburg too when Pete Best often missed shows.

A lot of stars aligning though to get them signed - Brian having the Decca tapes transferred to disc after being turned down by most labels and the engineer upon hearing them recommending George Martin.
Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:41 - Dec 18 with 2094 viewsEJP

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:39 - Dec 18 by GlasgowBlue

Pete Shotton?

Rod something wasn’t it?

Mate of mine’s band won a competition a few years ago, prize was to headline the (new) Cavern. Support act were the reformed Quarrymen!
Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:41 - Dec 18 with 2093 viewsEJP

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:35 - Dec 18 by Warkystache

Pete Sutcliffe

Oh.....

From Gavin and Stacey?
Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:44 - Dec 18 with 2082 viewsGlasgowBlue

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:41 - Dec 18 by EJP

Rod something wasn’t it?

Mate of mine’s band won a competition a few years ago, prize was to headline the (new) Cavern. Support act were the reformed Quarrymen!

Rod Davis/ Davies? was an original member but Pete Shotton was the washboard player and Lennon’s best friend who got him in the Quarrymen.

Iron Lion Zion

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:46 - Dec 18 with 2072 viewsEJP

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:44 - Dec 18 by GlasgowBlue

Rod Davis/ Davies? was an original member but Pete Shotton was the washboard player and Lennon’s best friend who got him in the Quarrymen.

I thought it was the other way round? Lennon bring Pete Shotten into the band?

Strange how people still talk about this 60 years later!
Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:48 - Dec 18 with 2065 viewsGlasgowBlue

Edit . Wrong thread.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2020 9:48]

Iron Lion Zion

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:54 - Dec 18 with 2052 viewsitfcjoe

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:40 - Dec 18 by EJP

Fair point about Ringo, but... they knew of him on the circuit and he played with them in Hamburg too when Pete Best often missed shows.

A lot of stars aligning though to get them signed - Brian having the Decca tapes transferred to disc after being turned down by most labels and the engineer upon hearing them recommending George Martin.

I don't think he's played with them in Hamburg, but had in Liverpool a few times - but not many as they always seemed to be in the wrong place at wrong time - Ringo usually at Butlins performing!

His first official gig after joining the band was Saturday August 18th 1962.......the exact same day as Liverpool played their first top flight game after promotion from the 2nd division, they have been in the top division ever since.

George Martin was lumbered with the Beatles at first, as part of ongoing punishment for having an affair with his secretary who he later married

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 10:20 - Dec 18 with 2018 viewsblueislander

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 09:54 - Dec 18 by itfcjoe

I don't think he's played with them in Hamburg, but had in Liverpool a few times - but not many as they always seemed to be in the wrong place at wrong time - Ringo usually at Butlins performing!

His first official gig after joining the band was Saturday August 18th 1962.......the exact same day as Liverpool played their first top flight game after promotion from the 2nd division, they have been in the top division ever since.

George Martin was lumbered with the Beatles at first, as part of ongoing punishment for having an affair with his secretary who he later married

Wasn't Ringo the drummer with Rory Storm and The Hurricanes who were the top Liverpool band prior to The Beatles?
Who is the 5th Beatle? on 10:29 - Dec 18 with 2015 viewsKeno

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 10:20 - Dec 18 by blueislander

Wasn't Ringo the drummer with Rory Storm and The Hurricanes who were the top Liverpool band prior to The Beatles?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 10:54 - Dec 18 with 1979 viewsEJP

The Beatles and Hurricanes were in Hamburg at the same time - there was a competition to see who could break through the stage first, won by Rory Storm!

And Pete Best was in The Beatles for exactly two years!

This is much more interesting than Town’s current plight...
Who is the 5th Beatle? on 11:00 - Dec 18 with 1965 viewsRadlett_blue

I think that as long as Lennon & McCartney had got together & made music, something memorable would have resulted.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 11:04 - Dec 18 with 1959 viewsjaykay

the cavern club

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 11:13 - Dec 18 with 1942 viewsPJH

I have an imported LP entitled 'The Beatles Live At The Star Club Hamburg 1962' and Ringo was, according to the sleeve notes, sitting in for Pete Best when the recording was made.
The actual date of the recording is not stated but only John, Paul and George appear on photographs on the sleeve.
Who is the 5th Beatle? on 11:17 - Dec 18 with 1934 viewsRadlett_blue

Who is the 5th Beatle? on 11:13 - Dec 18 by PJH

I have an imported LP entitled 'The Beatles Live At The Star Club Hamburg 1962' and Ringo was, according to the sleeve notes, sitting in for Pete Best when the recording was made.
The actual date of the recording is not stated but only John, Paul and George appear on photographs on the sleeve.

Session drummer Andy White played on a few of The Beatles early recordings.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024