Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dover port closed for 48 hours. 21:39 - Dec 20 with 2130 viewscatch74

Wondering what the repercussions of this new strain will be, hope it won’t affect deliveries of essentials/ vaccines etc etc.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 21:41 - Dec 20 with 1804 viewsgiant_stow

Potentially a very big deal I spose and also perhaps slightly suspicious timing?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 21:42 - Dec 20 with 1792 viewsvapour_trail

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 21:41 - Dec 20 by giant_stow

Potentially a very big deal I spose and also perhaps slightly suspicious timing?

Pourquoi?

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 21:46 - Dec 20 with 1778 viewsfactual_blue

dominic raaaabb is the to-to guy for info about the Port of Dover.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 21:46 - Dec 20 with 1775 viewsWD19

That’ll screw up Brexit preparations.....everything unlikely to go 100% smoothly now.
Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 21:48 - Dec 20 with 1758 viewsBlueBadger

Don't worry, it will.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 21:48 - Dec 20 with 1760 viewsgiant_stow

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 21:42 - Dec 20 by vapour_trail

Pourquoi?

Because it might end up disrupting the flow coming of stuff coming in I spose.

Edit : sorry. Whosh!
[Post edited 20 Dec 2020 21:54]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 21:52 - Dec 20 with 1736 viewsElderGrizzly

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 21:46 - Dec 20 by factual_blue

dominic raaaabb is the to-to guy for info about the Port of Dover.

For those who don’t know the shuddering incompetence of my boss

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 22:01 - Dec 20 with 1669 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 21:52 - Dec 20 by ElderGrizzly

They need us more than ... oh.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 22:48 - Dec 20 with 1536 viewsEastTownBlue

When The Scum is leading with "Xmas Supplies Chaos" on their front page, you just know what is going to happen in the shops tomorrow.
Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 23:08 - Dec 20 with 1488 viewssyntaxerror

We are officially a cut off Island now. No way in, and no way out.
Farage must be jumping for joy. (Though is probably in his German home doing so).
Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 23:14 - Dec 20 with 1458 viewsJ2BLUE

I would imagine we would collect vaccines using the military if it came to it. Soldiers who had been tested multiple times etc which other countries would accept.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 23:14 - Dec 20 with 1458 viewsSeablu

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 21:48 - Dec 20 by giant_stow

Because it might end up disrupting the flow coming of stuff coming in I spose.

Edit : sorry. Whosh!
[Post edited 20 Dec 2020 21:54]

It’s ‘whoosh’
It amazes me how that extra finger actually misses letters out.
Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 23:14 - Dec 20 with 1459 viewscatch74

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 23:08 - Dec 20 by syntaxerror

Farage must be jumping for joy. (Though is probably in his German home doing so).

You mean this pr!ck.

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 07:46 - Dec 21 with 1179 viewsElderGrizzly

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 23:08 - Dec 20 by syntaxerror

He is sadly

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 08:57 - Dec 21 with 1094 viewsFreddies_Ears

At least this all proves how easy it is to stop nasty foreign stuff and people getting into the UK. Our border is properly controlled. By the French!!!!!
Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 09:02 - Dec 21 with 1085 viewsChurchman

I think what is interesting is the speed other countries have moved on this, and rightly so. Compare that to the snail speed this government moves on anything. Behind the curve on everything. Earlier in the year, the government said control on the border was unnecessary because the virus was already here. It seems other countries disagree on that principle. BJ and co are the equivalent of Captain Rum in Blackadder saying he doesn’t need a crew.

This strain of virus was detected in September. We are now in another disaster thanks to laziness and grotesque incompetence. This is likely to be compounded with food shortages. The government is holding a COBRA meeting today. All a bit late really isn’t it.

Then there is Brexit. The end of the year deadline is of the governments making. It would be logical to delay it in the circumstances, regardless to whether 1% or 90% has been agreed. But I doubt they’d have the guts to do that. If or when people are fighting over food in a few weeks time, I wonder if fathead will be telling us that’s what we voted for?

It would be entirely sensible for the government to instigate food rationing on essential items now, but I suspect as the bath olivers are passed around the meeting will be more about telling each other how great they are and asking of anyone has heard of a place called Dover.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2020 9:04]
Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 09:30 - Dec 21 with 1023 viewsGuthrum

Not in this case. The new C-19 strain/variant has apparently triggered contingencies which have been in place for months.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 09:34 - Dec 21 with 1021 viewsGuthrum

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 07:46 - Dec 21 by ElderGrizzly

He is sadly

He is wrong, of course. An event such as this is likely to remind everyone just how important easy interaction with our nearest neighbours is.

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 09:44 - Dec 21 with 988 viewsGuthrum

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 09:02 - Dec 21 by Churchman

I think what is interesting is the speed other countries have moved on this, and rightly so. Compare that to the snail speed this government moves on anything. Behind the curve on everything. Earlier in the year, the government said control on the border was unnecessary because the virus was already here. It seems other countries disagree on that principle. BJ and co are the equivalent of Captain Rum in Blackadder saying he doesn’t need a crew.

This strain of virus was detected in September. We are now in another disaster thanks to laziness and grotesque incompetence. This is likely to be compounded with food shortages. The government is holding a COBRA meeting today. All a bit late really isn’t it.

Then there is Brexit. The end of the year deadline is of the governments making. It would be logical to delay it in the circumstances, regardless to whether 1% or 90% has been agreed. But I doubt they’d have the guts to do that. If or when people are fighting over food in a few weeks time, I wonder if fathead will be telling us that’s what we voted for?

It would be entirely sensible for the government to instigate food rationing on essential items now, but I suspect as the bath olivers are passed around the meeting will be more about telling each other how great they are and asking of anyone has heard of a place called Dover.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2020 9:04]

To be fair, when the Government said that back in March, they were absolutely correct. It was already seeded in many places in the UK and spreading domestically.

However, this recent mutation (of the September strain) appears to have originated in the UK and be in the early stages of its spread. Thus it can still potentially be contained - to this island, at least. Hence the rapid and strong reaction of our neighbours.

No argument with your Brexit comments, tho.

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 11:18 - Dec 21 with 910 viewscatch74

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 21:52 - Dec 20 by ElderGrizzly

Howard Goodall -

‘We've just spent 5 years at war with each other, devalued the £ by 20%, savaged our economy, quit the world's largest free trade zone, created a mountain of red tape & flushed £200bn down the drain to 'control our borders'. 6 EU states just did it in 24 hours with a press release’

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 11:27 - Dec 21 with 891 viewsEireannach_gorm

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 11:18 - Dec 21 by catch74

Howard Goodall -

‘We've just spent 5 years at war with each other, devalued the £ by 20%, savaged our economy, quit the world's largest free trade zone, created a mountain of red tape & flushed £200bn down the drain to 'control our borders'. 6 EU states just did it in 24 hours with a press release’

How can this be possible, they have no sovereignty?
Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 11:29 - Dec 21 with 890 viewsstantheman

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 09:44 - Dec 21 by Guthrum

To be fair, when the Government said that back in March, they were absolutely correct. It was already seeded in many places in the UK and spreading domestically.

However, this recent mutation (of the September strain) appears to have originated in the UK and be in the early stages of its spread. Thus it can still potentially be contained - to this island, at least. Hence the rapid and strong reaction of our neighbours.

No argument with your Brexit comments, tho.

If it was discovered by scientists in the SE why does everyone think it originated in the SE? It could have mutated anywhere before being discovered.
Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 11:51 - Dec 21 with 854 viewsGuthrum

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 11:29 - Dec 21 by stantheman

If it was discovered by scientists in the SE why does everyone think it originated in the SE? It could have mutated anywhere before being discovered.

The particular variant will spread outwards from its point of origin as it is passed from one host to another. If a cluster of cases appears before it is seen in numbers otherwise, that is almost certainly where the point of origin will be.

DNA/RNA analysis is so routine nowadays that analysts have been able to keep very detailed track of mutations which are affecting the virus. They are particularly on the look-out for certain changes which can alter lethality, infection rates or vaccine resistance.

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 11:55 - Dec 21 with 829 viewsstantheman

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 11:51 - Dec 21 by Guthrum

The particular variant will spread outwards from its point of origin as it is passed from one host to another. If a cluster of cases appears before it is seen in numbers otherwise, that is almost certainly where the point of origin will be.

DNA/RNA analysis is so routine nowadays that analysts have been able to keep very detailed track of mutations which are affecting the virus. They are particularly on the look-out for certain changes which can alter lethality, infection rates or vaccine resistance.

Don't you mean elsewhere rather than otherwise? If so that does seem to make sense.
Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 11:58 - Dec 21 with 825 viewsGuthrum

Dover port closed for 48 hours. on 11:55 - Dec 21 by stantheman

Don't you mean elsewhere rather than otherwise? If so that does seem to make sense.

Yes, just didn't want to use "where" twice in the same sentence.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024