Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not a happy time in the household 22:34 - Dec 20 with 1384 viewsFrimleyBlue

Arguing a out what should have happend with covid etc

Now. Various different opinions on what should have happend. Help me out with your views lol.

I said as an island. We should have closed borders for 2 months apart from export. Gave 3 weeks notice for people to get flights out if needing to get home from holidays.

Only supermarkets open and pharmacies.

4 weeks of every person apart from those workers stay at home

Use the army and police to oversee it.

Once 2 month flight ban lifted.. no leisure trips allowed just business with on spot tests done.

Now I know this sounds a bit far fetched.. but surely something close to that is the only way you can really suppress a virus?

Mini lockdowns Will reduce it but then it just get larger once you open up again surely.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Not a happy time in the household on 22:44 - Dec 20 with 1307 viewsvapour_trail

I’d politely suggest that arguing amongst yourselves about what other people could have done nine months ago, will not be productive time spent.

Get pissed up and talk about religion.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Not a happy time in the household on 22:47 - Dec 20 with 1288 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Pointless to argue about what should have happened.

If someone is not prepared to accept that the Government made a mess of it, they probably won't have their minds changed now, either.

The important thing is to recognise where we are and you own part in keeping everyone as safe as possible.

The Government rules/guidelines should be seen as a minimum except in truly exceptional circumstances. If you recognise they have done a poor job, remember the scientists are still saying they are not going far enough.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Not a happy time in the household on 00:29 - Dec 21 with 1129 viewsjeera

Not a happy time in the household on 22:44 - Dec 20 by vapour_trail

I’d politely suggest that arguing amongst yourselves about what other people could have done nine months ago, will not be productive time spent.

Get pissed up and talk about religion.

"We should have closed borders for 2 months apart from export."

No imports at all for 2 months?

Blimey. Not sure we grow enough root veg for us all to survive on for that long.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Not a happy time in the household on 00:48 - Dec 21 with 1105 viewsJ2BLUE

I think 'mini lockdowns' are going to be quite effective in the next couple of months. 300,000+ have received their first dose of the vaccine. The Oxford one is apparently being authorised before the end of this year and it should be ready to go early January. This latest strain will surely focus the government even more and roll it out even faster. I think people will be surprised how quickly we improve things next year. It should look much better by Easter.

What is frustrating is how close we are to being in a much better place and still we have some people acting incredibly selfishly and stupidly (as I said, I absolutely don't mean people in your situation).

We have a very tough couple of months coming up but better times are coming. I wish the media and the government would focus more on that as it might help compliance rather than focusing on the negative all the time.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Not a happy time in the household on 07:17 - Dec 21 with 873 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Your position seems reasonable, apart from (as Jeera also says) not sure how we'd survive with no imports for two months. But certainly no people allowed in would make sense.

I didn't understand this line;
"4 weeks of every person apart from those workers stay at home."

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Not a happy time in the household on 07:57 - Dec 21 with 803 viewsChrisd

Not a happy time in the household on 00:48 - Dec 21 by J2BLUE

I think 'mini lockdowns' are going to be quite effective in the next couple of months. 300,000+ have received their first dose of the vaccine. The Oxford one is apparently being authorised before the end of this year and it should be ready to go early January. This latest strain will surely focus the government even more and roll it out even faster. I think people will be surprised how quickly we improve things next year. It should look much better by Easter.

What is frustrating is how close we are to being in a much better place and still we have some people acting incredibly selfishly and stupidly (as I said, I absolutely don't mean people in your situation).

We have a very tough couple of months coming up but better times are coming. I wish the media and the government would focus more on that as it might help compliance rather than focusing on the negative all the time.

Part of the problem is the vaccine. As you rightly highlight because we are so close, the selfish ones are deliberately pushing the boundaries because they know they'll be receiving the vaccine over the next few months. Therefore, they are not really bothered about their actions, behaviours and the impact this has on others. When you have a lot of Mancs come down to have an illegal rave in a closed down nightclub in Essex at the weekend even though it's in a Tier 4 area, you really do question the logic and rational thinking of some people.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Not a happy time in the household on 10:46 - Dec 21 with 631 viewsGuthrum

By the time we were aware there was a problem, it was already far too late to keep it out by closing the borders. The virus arrived at multiple locations in the UK during January and February. Mainly from Italy, where things were already brewing, but the full scale had not yet emerged into the open. At that stage, nobody knew any better, there simply wasn't the data.

Contingencies for a full-scale, military-enforced lockdown have existed for years. However, the extreme social, political and financial impacts were probably considered too severe when the virus was regarded as suppressable using less harsh measures. Also, they can be sustained for only a very limited time.

Even had we been able to eradicate the first wave of C-19 through stringent lockdown methods, I'm not convinced it would have prevented subsequent waves. Complete isolation is not tenable long-term for a nation of the size and population density of the UK.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Not a happy time in the household on 10:59 - Dec 21 with 588 viewsRadlett_blue

Not a happy time in the household on 10:46 - Dec 21 by Guthrum

By the time we were aware there was a problem, it was already far too late to keep it out by closing the borders. The virus arrived at multiple locations in the UK during January and February. Mainly from Italy, where things were already brewing, but the full scale had not yet emerged into the open. At that stage, nobody knew any better, there simply wasn't the data.

Contingencies for a full-scale, military-enforced lockdown have existed for years. However, the extreme social, political and financial impacts were probably considered too severe when the virus was regarded as suppressable using less harsh measures. Also, they can be sustained for only a very limited time.

Even had we been able to eradicate the first wave of C-19 through stringent lockdown methods, I'm not convinced it would have prevented subsequent waves. Complete isolation is not tenable long-term for a nation of the size and population density of the UK.

The most intelligent post I have seen since the COVID crisis appeared. Basically, there is no "solution" bar mass vaccination. The only realistic policy is control/damage limitation. Those screaming for full scale lockdown should read your post.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024