Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ideas to make Christmas positive for those alone? 10:26 - Dec 21 with 528 viewsclive_baker

A lot of doom and gloom out there, what with Brexit, a global pandemic, a mooted Christmas, sh1t weather and general apathy about a lot of things. I won't get on to ITFC, which pales into insignificance in the grand scheme of things.

Peoples mental health has taken a battering this year, I've seen that first hand. My uncle is disabled, lives alone and has never married or had kids, he's now in Tier 4 and was so desperately looking forward to seeing family at Christmas as he has done every year. I spoke to him last night and could hear the disappointment in his voice, which really breaks my heart. I feel like I timed my move away from the area he lives well earlier in 2020, but the consequence is I haven't seen him and my brother and I are as close to kids as he's got.

Needless to say he's staying put for Christmas now and will have it on his own. Such are the rules, and its a sensible decision, but really is sad. I hate the thought of him alone on Christmas and fear for him as he's had mental health challenges. I've just popped his present in the post, but wondered if anyone had any novel ideas (within the rules) that could help him feel included? I might devise a quiz and ask him to zoom in to it?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Ideas to make Christmas positive for those alone? on 10:29 - Dec 21 with 509 viewsfooters

Our lot have a planned quiz and Secret Santa opening video call on Christmas Day. It's probably too late to organise the first bit given how late it is but the quiz is still a good idea.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2020 10:29]

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Ideas to make Christmas positive for those alone? on 10:35 - Dec 21 with 477 viewsSteve_M

The quiz thing is probably a good idea. You can call him but it will be a bit of a forced conversation won't it ("What are you doing today? Ah...) so something interactive gives a reason for some contact.

It's going to be really crap for people who haven't seen much, or anything, of family this year.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Ideas to make Christmas positive for those alone? on 11:28 - Dec 21 with 414 viewsclive_baker

Ideas to make Christmas positive for those alone? on 10:29 - Dec 21 by footers

Our lot have a planned quiz and Secret Santa opening video call on Christmas Day. It's probably too late to organise the first bit given how late it is but the quiz is still a good idea.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2020 10:29]

I've just called him and proposed the same. Going to do some present opening together in the morning via zoom and I'll do an afternoon quiz. I've demanded he gets himself a couple of beers in and promised him he won't be in a team with me :)

Now to devise a quiz....

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Ideas to make Christmas positive for those alone? on 11:37 - Dec 21 with 385 viewsJ2BLUE

If there are a couple of households who are capable of installing them then those Portal things look really good.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024