Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The world is grim atm so thought this might be of interest 15:31 - Dec 21 with 1712 viewsTractorWood

Although the 2nd highest mountain, K2 provides a ridiculously challenging technical difficulty namely due to the infamous bottleneck and shoulder before the summit. This provides a level of objective danger not really matched elsewhere.

Due to its Northern location in the Karakoram the weather is notoriously difficult. Climbing it in the winter is one of the last great challenges in mountaineering.

It's well worth reading up on its incredible history. Particularly the Duke of Abruzzi who actually got very close for the day and age. Also Alestair Crowley's attempt in about 1902.

I'll be watching closely for updates:

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-55341778
[Post edited 21 Dec 2020 15:44]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

The world is grim atm so thought this might be of interest on 20:11 - Dec 21 with 1577 viewseastangliaisblue

Good luck to them, they are crazy attempting it with no supplementary oxygen. I've spent a fair bit of time between 3500m-5000m and I certainly wouldn't want to go any higher without extra oxygen.
The world is grim atm so thought this might be of interest on 20:34 - Dec 21 with 1541 viewsStokieBlue

Good luck to them, especially in winter and without oxygen. Even doing the Inca trail at 4200m was hard work in the thin atmosphere.

K2 is generally considered the second hardest mountain to climb I believe after Annapurna which has a category rate of just over 30% which is madness.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The world is grim atm so thought this might be of interest on 20:37 - Dec 21 with 1530 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Does this mean that if I decide to do a virtual attempt at climbing it on my own stairs, as I approach the summit I will need to leave the central heating off to make it realistic?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The world is grim atm so thought this might be of interest on 20:48 - Dec 21 with 1521 viewsGuthrum

The really dangerous bit is the (unavoidable) traverse across the snowfield below what is called the Balcony. It is a small glacier which overhangs the route, with large chunks constantly breaking off and sweeping the area with deadly and unpredictable ice avalanches. You have to pass it on the way up and down, doubling the risk.

Add in the remoteness, the notoriously bad weather, lack of oxygen and low temperatures - plus the earthquakes to which that region is prone - and it becomes extremely dangerous.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The world is grim atm so thought this might be of interest on 21:29 - Dec 21 with 1478 viewsKingsCrossBlue

The world is grim atm so thought this might be of interest on 20:48 - Dec 21 by Guthrum

The really dangerous bit is the (unavoidable) traverse across the snowfield below what is called the Balcony. It is a small glacier which overhangs the route, with large chunks constantly breaking off and sweeping the area with deadly and unpredictable ice avalanches. You have to pass it on the way up and down, doubling the risk.

Add in the remoteness, the notoriously bad weather, lack of oxygen and low temperatures - plus the earthquakes to which that region is prone - and it becomes extremely dangerous.

This is amazing and nuts alike. Like eastangliaisablue, I’ve done a tonne of climbing at 5,000m-ish, in Kyrgyzstan. I remember day 1 at 4000m and nearly passing out trying to put my backpack on.

8600m without oxygen is just insane. The human body is a remarkable thing.
The world is grim atm so thought this might be of interest on 21:43 - Dec 21 with 1462 viewsTIB

Everest may take the title as the tallest, but definitely some far superior peaks out there for mountaineers, such as K2.

If you’ve not watched “Meru”, it’s well worth a watch. Trailer below.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

The world is grim atm so thought this might be of interest on 22:01 - Dec 21 with 1440 viewsbluelagos

The world is grim atm so thought this might be of interest on 20:34 - Dec 21 by StokieBlue

Good luck to them, especially in winter and without oxygen. Even doing the Inca trail at 4200m was hard work in the thin atmosphere.

K2 is generally considered the second hardest mountain to climb I believe after Annapurna which has a category rate of just over 30% which is madness.

SB

Did similar, 4700m I think.

So given the comment in the link about 8000m with oxygen being similar to 3500 without, does that mean we can claim we did similar to an Everest climb?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

The world is grim atm so thought this might be of interest on 22:09 - Dec 21 with 1429 viewsStokieBlue

The world is grim atm so thought this might be of interest on 22:01 - Dec 21 by bluelagos

Did similar, 4700m I think.

So given the comment in the link about 8000m with oxygen being similar to 3500 without, does that mean we can claim we did similar to an Everest climb?

I think if we both say it then it becomes true.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

The world is grim atm so thought this might be of interest on 23:21 - Dec 21 with 1397 viewsTractorWood

The world is grim atm so thought this might be of interest on 20:34 - Dec 21 by StokieBlue

SB

Annapurna is plagued by avalanches as well as difficulty. I think that's a major contributor to its mortality rate. K2 has far worse weather, is higher and the serac collapses are more likely.

Both are effectively reckless attempts in good weather and with oxygen.

K2 in Winter with no oxygen is for my money mission impossible.

The world is grim atm so thought this might be of interest on 23:23 - Dec 21 with 1394 viewsTractorWood

The world is grim atm so thought this might be of interest on 20:48 - Dec 21 by Guthrum

It's mostly called the shoulder or the bottleneck as per the OP.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottleneck_(K2)

You are bang on about the descent. It's where Ger McDonnell and many others died from various serac collapses in the awful 2008 season having summited. Wilco van Rooijen seemingly survived against all odds.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_K2_disaster

By all accounts Marco Confortola rocked up on his own and soloed it alpine style!

[Post edited 21 Dec 2020 23:36]

The world is grim atm so thought this might be of interest on 12:30 - Dec 22 with 1259 viewsTJS

If you want a good mountaineering read over Christmas try "No picnic on Mount Kenya"
Its about two Italian prisoners who escaped from a British POW camp purely to climb Mount Kenya - a really great story..
The world is grim atm so thought this might be of interest on 20:58 - Dec 23 with 1197 viewsTractorWood

https://adventureblog.net/2020/12/winter-expeditions-have-turned-k2-into-a-circu

This article basically says K2 is going to win and there are a few of the ingredient present that have also been present for highly dangerous seasons in the high peaks of the Himalaya and Karakoram before. 100mph winds, minus 70c and waste deep snow on one of the most technical mountains in the world.

The world is grim atm so thought this might be of interest on 18:01 - Jan 16 with 1036 viewsTractorWood

Great news for Nepal. Absolutely amazing achievement against all odds and previous attempts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-55684149

The world is grim atm so thought this might be of interest on 20:18 - Jan 16 with 957 viewsIpswichKnight

The world is grim atm so thought this might be of interest on 23:23 - Dec 21 by TractorWood

You are bang on about the descent. It's where Ger McDonnell and many others died from various serac collapses in the awful 2008 season having summited. Wilco van Rooijen seemingly survived against all odds.

By all accounts Marco Confortola rocked up on his own and soloed it alpine style!

If you can find it there is a brilliant Storyville documentary about this. A lot of people come out of it badly especially the Korean climbers. The autobiography of the American climber who decided it was far to dangerous to climb is a fascinating read ( he’s climbed all of the highest peaks as well )
The world is grim atm so thought this might be of interest on 20:21 - Jan 16 with 946 viewsMoriarty

The world is grim atm so thought this might be of interest on 23:23 - Dec 21 by TractorWood

The Summit is a good documentary.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/movie-reviews/2013/1121/486210-the-summit/

fka omuircheartaigh

The world is grim atm so thought this might be of interest on 20:51 - Jan 16 with 915 viewsChurchman

The people who do this sort of stuff are incredible. Always find it fascinating.

One of my ‘most admired’ is Ernest Shackleton. He had many weaknesses, even by the standards of the day, but was a phenomenal explorer and leader of men. The Kenneth Branagh drama is excellent and from what I’ve read doesn’t diverged too much from what happened on his 1914 Trans-Antarctic expedition.
The world is grim atm so thought this might be of interest on 21:47 - Jan 16 with 868 viewsTractorWood

The world is grim atm so thought this might be of interest on 20:18 - Jan 16 by IpswichKnight

If you can find it there is a brilliant Storyville documentary about this. A lot of people come out of it badly especially the Korean climbers. The autobiography of the American climber who decided it was far to dangerous to climb is a fascinating read ( he’s climbed all of the highest peaks as well )

Ed Viesturs? No shortcuts to the top? An amazing read.

The world is grim atm so thought this might be of interest on 22:14 - Jan 16 with 845 viewsIpswichKnight

The world is grim atm so thought this might be of interest on 21:47 - Jan 16 by TractorWood

Ed Viesturs? No shortcuts to the top? An amazing read.

Yes!! That’s the one it was an amazing read.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024