Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
With a deal, apparently, having been done 17:32 - Dec 23 with 1689 viewssnudge27

Have the EU and the French played an absolute blinder with regards to Dover?

1) Close their borders based on very legitimate concerns

2) Give us a two-day taste of the potential effects of a no-deal Brexit

3) Wait...

Poll: Who is the best Lord?

With a deal, apparently, having been done on 18:06 - Dec 23 with 1559 viewsfactual_blue

The EU weren't involved in France's decision to close the borders, and indeed seems to have been unhappy with it.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

With a deal, apparently, having been done on 18:08 - Dec 23 with 1543 viewsTractorWood

Great news if it's true. The markets think it's true.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

With a deal, apparently, having been done on 18:24 - Dec 23 with 1499 viewsChurchman

I don’t think it was like that. The French have blockaded Calais loads of times, hence Operation Stack etc so they didn’t need to do a ‘see what you are going to get’ exercise. This was purely a fear driven decision and I can fully understand why. In my view, the media just highlighted it this time because of C-19, proximity to Xmas and the possibility of these scenes being repeated with no deal.

It needs to be remembered that Eurotunnel and Port of Calais are not government enterprises. Their relationship is with Dover and the last thing they want is losing money through the chaos of a blocked port so my guess that in addition to the EU there was a lot of pressure from the owners of Eurotunnel/Calais to the politicians to find a solution
[Post edited 23 Dec 2020 18:26]
With a deal, apparently, having been done on 18:26 - Dec 23 with 1488 viewsFtnfwest

Depends on the deal. Make him think he's the big man and then do a deal with EU behind his back would be better.
With a deal, apparently, having been done on 18:36 - Dec 23 with 1433 viewsHARRY10

So all the other countries around the world joined in blocking the UK.........................so as to help France ?

As to having an idea, pretty much everyone one knows this is merely one facet of this nonsense, and so it hardly needs a working example
With a deal, apparently, having been done on 18:46 - Dec 23 with 1396 viewsstantheman

Waits for France to veto deal because of fishing quotas and Tories to vote deal down because it would effect our sovereignty in some obscure way.
With a deal, apparently, having been done on 18:55 - Dec 23 with 1373 viewsclive_baker

The border closures have nothing to do with Brexit. The impact of the decision is heightened due to Brexit, thanks to the increased level of activity and stock building ahead of 1st Jan, and to a lesser extent Christmas, but the French decision to close the borders was perfectly understandable. I wish we did more of that throughout this year rather than let people swan in untested.

A deal was entirely predictable, both parties stand to lose too much by not swallowing some pride and reaching a compromise position. Will deliver a much needed bounce for GBP, hopefully at least as I have a long position. Merry Christmas Clive.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

With a deal, apparently, having been done on 19:13 - Dec 23 with 1283 viewsSwansea_Blue

With a deal, apparently, having been done on 18:55 - Dec 23 by clive_baker

The border closures have nothing to do with Brexit. The impact of the decision is heightened due to Brexit, thanks to the increased level of activity and stock building ahead of 1st Jan, and to a lesser extent Christmas, but the French decision to close the borders was perfectly understandable. I wish we did more of that throughout this year rather than let people swan in untested.

A deal was entirely predictable, both parties stand to lose too much by not swallowing some pride and reaching a compromise position. Will deliver a much needed bounce for GBP, hopefully at least as I have a long position. Merry Christmas Clive.

Sadly it won't deliver a bounce to GDP - quite the opposite according to the Govt's own estimates. It's better than no deal of course, but this thin deal is still far worse than what we have now.

Still good news though assuming it goes through (the brexiteers aren't going to be happy). Or rather, less bad news as there's no good news about this whole clusterf*ck.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

With a deal, apparently, having been done on 19:42 - Dec 23 with 1196 viewsBlueBadger

With a deal, apparently, having been done on 18:26 - Dec 23 by Ftnfwest

Depends on the deal. Make him think he's the big man and then do a deal with EU behind his back would be better.

The smartest thing to do would have been to quietly agree to stay in but take out a load of adverts on buses saying 'hurrah! we're out, isn't it great', because let's face it, the average leave voter would have bought that.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

With a deal, apparently, having been done on 19:45 - Dec 23 with 1186 viewsclive_baker

With a deal, apparently, having been done on 19:13 - Dec 23 by Swansea_Blue

Sadly it won't deliver a bounce to GDP - quite the opposite according to the Govt's own estimates. It's better than no deal of course, but this thin deal is still far worse than what we have now.

Still good news though assuming it goes through (the brexiteers aren't going to be happy). Or rather, less bad news as there's no good news about this whole clusterf*ck.

GBP (£), not GDP.

A deal is better than no deal, but no Brexit at all was still the best deal we had. Devaluation of £ has baked in some degree of no deal risk though. Can only see some upside vs EUR and USD from where it’s been trading, certainly short and medium term.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

With a deal, apparently, having been done on 21:21 - Dec 23 with 1004 viewsBlueBadger

With a deal, apparently, having been done on 18:55 - Dec 23 by clive_baker

No Deal averted apparently by BlueBadger 23 Dec 2020 18:03
'We're only going to have to eat a labrador turd rather than a great dane turd' IS technically good news, I suppose.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

With a deal, apparently, having been done on 21:47 - Dec 23 with 947 viewsPinewoodblue

With a deal, apparently, having been done on 19:42 - Dec 23 by BlueBadger

The smartest thing to do would have been to quietly agree to stay in but take out a load of adverts on buses saying 'hurrah! we're out, isn't it great', because let's face it, the average leave voter would have bought that.

We have been out a year. Don't believe going back in was an option, although we could have agreed to push back the day of reckoning. Had we done that £ would have taken a pounding since all that would do is extend the period of uncertainty.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024