Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? 08:28 - Dec 28 with 3503 viewsBluefish

Let's just start this off by saying I am not a Boris supporter and I did not vote for him so this is not supposed to be another post to put down JC to help BJ.

My biggest issue with JC was how he constantly whipped the party. Whether this was to play games to try and force a GE or whether it was because he felt everyone should be inline to act the opposition who knows but it was destructive, especially with an issue that should have been above party politics.

This makes me wonder, would he allow the current deal to get through? The SNP are voting against and there is a loony Tory element hell bent on no deal.

I would probably vote Labour if a GE was today for the first time in my life because I like the way starmer puts important decisions ahead of party politics but does that make him look weak to the people that vote by headlines and sound bites?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 09:02 - Dec 28 with 3029 viewsBlueRaider

Interesting thought as I am not convinced that Corbyn voted remain in the referendum. I suspect he would have been anti no deal so would have at worst abstained.

This vote is simply deal or no deal, it is not endorsing brexit

One of the Sky journalists asked Starmer the other day what the benefits of brexit were that were leading him to vote for the deal. This completely missed the point, and is the sort of sensationalist nonsense that we get from the media now that has poisoned the political arena.

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 09:08 - Dec 28 with 3013 viewsPinewoodblue

The current choice is deal or no deal. We left the EU a year ago. It would be an act of lunacy ( see LibDem) to vote against it.

Had Labour win the last election I doubt very much if JC would still be PM.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 09:16 - Dec 28 with 2978 viewsitfcjoe

JC and his acolytes were more interested in their cause and being 'right' than they were in getting Labour into power.

They weren't willing, or able, to ever compromise to try and win, but not sure what they'd do here. I can't see how he would have voted for a hard right Brexit Deal, but then the alternative is an even harder right No Deal Brexit

I think voting for the deal is the right thing, because if any freak happens and they end up losing due to the ERG No Deal loons it will be a disaster for the country, and it will somehow be Labour that suffer for that happening.

Starmer needs to just get this done, so he can push on, so he doesn't have it thrown back in his face again and again - they want the PM to own this deal, and need to ensure it goes through. Both for the good of the country, and the good of their election chances.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 09:21 - Dec 28 with 2970 viewsChurchman

Had JC won the election and still been in No 10, I suspect a deal much like last week’s would have been agreed - assuming they hadn’t called a referendum on leaving the EU again and employed a half decent negotiator.

As for voting against the deal, I can understand abstaining, but not voting against it. To do that is to vote for no deal. The Scottish balloon got himself in a bit of a mess trying to explain that away, as did the trapped wind liberal bloke who was grieving about it not having read it.
Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 09:22 - Dec 28 with 2960 viewsBluefish

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 09:21 - Dec 28 by Churchman

Had JC won the election and still been in No 10, I suspect a deal much like last week’s would have been agreed - assuming they hadn’t called a referendum on leaving the EU again and employed a half decent negotiator.

As for voting against the deal, I can understand abstaining, but not voting against it. To do that is to vote for no deal. The Scottish balloon got himself in a bit of a mess trying to explain that away, as did the trapped wind liberal bloke who was grieving about it not having read it.

I was talking about JC in opposition

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 09:26 - Dec 28 with 2943 viewsMonkeyAlan

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 09:02 - Dec 28 by BlueRaider

Interesting thought as I am not convinced that Corbyn voted remain in the referendum. I suspect he would have been anti no deal so would have at worst abstained.

This vote is simply deal or no deal, it is not endorsing brexit

One of the Sky journalists asked Starmer the other day what the benefits of brexit were that were leading him to vote for the deal. This completely missed the point, and is the sort of sensationalist nonsense that we get from the media now that has poisoned the political arena.

Starmer isn't the answer. Has no more clue than the Tories.
Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 09:55 - Dec 28 with 2901 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 09:26 - Dec 28 by MonkeyAlan

He's already proven he has on countless occasions. You should try watching PM's questions.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 10:22 - Dec 28 with 2836 views26_Paz

I’m not sure the ERG will oppose, if they don’t it wouldn’t matter

The Paz Man

Login to get fewer ads

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 10:29 - Dec 28 with 2803 viewsElephantintheRoom

Corbyn is not an inhabitant of the real world but I suspect even he would recognise the choice on offer is no deal or a very bad deal which is considerably less devastating for most than no deal - albeit at a long term cost of billions to the UK economy and susbequent loss of living standards for all.

Having long established that Brexit is completelhy idiotic idea, promoted by liars with vested interests there is not much merit in the opposition doubling down and voting for no deal now.... though clearly it makes an important political point for the SNP guiding Scotland to Independence with Tory fast track assistance.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 10:32 - Dec 28 with 2796 viewsBlueBadger

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 10:22 - Dec 28 by 26_Paz

I’m not sure the ERG will oppose, if they don’t it wouldn’t matter

God, that we could live in a world where the collection of xenophobes, freestyle bigots and free-market loons of the ERG truly 'don't matter'.

Mind you, if that was the case, we wouldn't be discussing this act of gross self-harm we're inflicting on ourselves, apparently voluntarily.

The UK is the ITFC of western nations.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2020 10:34]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 10:40 - Dec 28 with 2748 viewsRadlett_blue

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 10:29 - Dec 28 by ElephantintheRoom

Corbyn is not an inhabitant of the real world but I suspect even he would recognise the choice on offer is no deal or a very bad deal which is considerably less devastating for most than no deal - albeit at a long term cost of billions to the UK economy and susbequent loss of living standards for all.

Having long established that Brexit is completelhy idiotic idea, promoted by liars with vested interests there is not much merit in the opposition doubling down and voting for no deal now.... though clearly it makes an important political point for the SNP guiding Scotland to Independence with Tory fast track assistance.

The fact that Corbyn chose effectively to sit on the fence at the last GE with his "2nd referendum" policy showed he was stuck & he probably had to recognise the obvious divisions within his own party & supporters. However, the public prefer politicians to have a view on the major issues.
Starmer will get away with sitting on the fence & allowing the UK deal to go through as most people, apart from a few fanatics, realise there isn't a better practical option.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 10:52 - Dec 28 with 2727 viewsElephantintheRoom

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 10:40 - Dec 28 by Radlett_blue

The fact that Corbyn chose effectively to sit on the fence at the last GE with his "2nd referendum" policy showed he was stuck & he probably had to recognise the obvious divisions within his own party & supporters. However, the public prefer politicians to have a view on the major issues.
Starmer will get away with sitting on the fence & allowing the UK deal to go through as most people, apart from a few fanatics, realise there isn't a better practical option.

Corbyn's vision of a second referendum based on the actual reality of Brexit wasn't a bad idea and had considerable support from 'remainers' and ought to have been of interest to those misled and misinformed by the Brexit liars.

As mentioned earlier - Brexit was largely a protest vote against austerity with some hard core racism - and as shown by the rabid attitude to a few people bobbing in dinghies and complete indifference to the thousands in the back of lorries - you wont change these people's minds.

Corbyn went wrong by not being able to lead a majority government of unity supported by more voters than the current Tory rabble - and then calling an election with a ludicrous manifesto.

Quite why voters saw him as unelectable but an oxford-educated, incompetent compulsive liar as a viable leader with utter contempt for democracy and accountability is still a good question.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 11:40 - Dec 28 with 2626 viewsjas0999

Corbyn would disagree with virtually everything - even against his own party at times.
Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 11:48 - Dec 28 with 2605 viewsjeera

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 11:40 - Dec 28 by jas0999

Corbyn would disagree with virtually everything - even against his own party at times.

Don't be silly.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 12:30 - Dec 28 with 2547 viewspointofblue

Corbyn’s decision making was shaky at the best of the times - he was and is a protester rather than a leader. But I think even he would have been pushed into voting for a deal if the only other option on the table was no deal.

What do those planning to vote against the deal think will happen if they win the vote? Obviously the ERG would get their way but the rest will get their worst nightmare as a reward.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 12:34 - Dec 28 with 2537 viewstractordownsouth

As an advocate of a People's Vote, in hindsight I now think Corbyn and Starmer should've backed May's deal. It left us more closely aligned than this deal and would've sent the Tories into an internal civil war between the Cameron/May faction and the ERG. Of course Farage would still have been screeching about betrayal, but to most people Labour would have respected the result but the Tories would've been responsible if it went t1ts up.

That said, it wasn't nearly as stupid as agreeing to last year's election when it was obvious Labour weren't going to win.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 12:36 - Dec 28 with 2535 viewsBasuco

If my memory is correct, his policy was to put the actual Theresa May deal back to the public, there would have been plenty of time to pick over exactly what was in it and then we would all have a very good idea what exactly we were voting this time around. There are very few times I agreed with JC, but on this the public would have been able to vote on the new deal against the existing EU membership deal in a knowledgeable way, not on the constant lies from the brexit supporters.
Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 12:38 - Dec 28 with 2527 viewsgiant_stow

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 12:30 - Dec 28 by pointofblue

Corbyn’s decision making was shaky at the best of the times - he was and is a protester rather than a leader. But I think even he would have been pushed into voting for a deal if the only other option on the table was no deal.

What do those planning to vote against the deal think will happen if they win the vote? Obviously the ERG would get their way but the rest will get their worst nightmare as a reward.

I dont buy the argument that Labour would share the blame for adverse results of brexit if they vote the deal through. I think they've made it clear that they'd be voting for the least bad option. Also imagine if they abstained or voted against it and somehow the deal wasn't voted through... Then they'd be blamed for a no deal brexit! They're screwed either way as per. All they can do is wait and see how it all pans out - if its as bad as feared, they'll have every right to put it oon the tories.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 12:45 - Dec 28 with 2495 viewsPinewoodblue

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 12:38 - Dec 28 by giant_stow

I dont buy the argument that Labour would share the blame for adverse results of brexit if they vote the deal through. I think they've made it clear that they'd be voting for the least bad option. Also imagine if they abstained or voted against it and somehow the deal wasn't voted through... Then they'd be blamed for a no deal brexit! They're screwed either way as per. All they can do is wait and see how it all pans out - if its as bad as feared, they'll have every right to put it oon the tories.

Sadly had Corbyn fully supported David Cameron prior to the referendum we would, in all probability, never have left.

Gordon Brown, backing the government, in the Scottish Independence referendum didn’t work well for Labour north of the border, perhaps JC felt supporting Cameron would be equally damaging.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 12:50 - Dec 28 with 2479 viewsgordon

Correct response from opposition parties should be to abstain. Absurd to vote for it, absurd to vote against it.
Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 12:52 - Dec 28 with 2463 viewslowhouseblue

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 12:38 - Dec 28 by giant_stow

boris definitely owns this deal. but everyone who played silly parliamentary games to undermine may has responsibility for us not now having a better deal.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 13:26 - Dec 28 with 2398 viewsBlueBadger

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 12:45 - Dec 28 by Pinewoodblue

Sadly had Corbyn fully supported David Cameron prior to the referendum we would, in all probability, never have left.

Gordon Brown, backing the government, in the Scottish Independence referendum didn’t work well for Labour north of the border, perhaps JC felt supporting Cameron would be equally damaging.

I fear you're attributing a level of competence, foresight and pragmatic(if misguided) leadership to him that simply wasn't there.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 13:40 - Dec 28 with 2362 viewsjaykay

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 09:26 - Dec 28 by MonkeyAlan

you beginning to sound like benters everday

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 13:47 - Dec 28 with 2353 viewsDarth_Koont

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 12:50 - Dec 28 by gordon

Correct response from opposition parties should be to abstain. Absurd to vote for it, absurd to vote against it.

Agreed. It’s evident that the Tories need to own this deal.

On top of which, the People’s Vote lot are now in charge of Labour. They hamstrung Labour for the best part of 4 years to end up with a worse deal than was available before. Utterly bizarre to now just wave it through as if it’s acceptable.

Pronouns: He/Him

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 14:01 - Dec 28 with 2311 viewsBluefish

Would Corbyn have agreed the deal? on 13:47 - Dec 28 by Darth_Koont

Agreed. It’s evident that the Tories need to own this deal.

On top of which, the People’s Vote lot are now in charge of Labour. They hamstrung Labour for the best part of 4 years to end up with a worse deal than was available before. Utterly bizarre to now just wave it through as if it’s acceptable.

Were there any deal proposals that Corbz abstained?

For the record I have no idea the answer to the question

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024