Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) 14:00 - Dec 28 with 1928 viewsITFC_nostalgia

Does anyone know where I can find the line ups and goal times from the 2 cup games versus Swindon in 1994 please? The replay is the ‘Nicky Hammond match’.

Thanks people
Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 14:04 - Dec 28 with 1754 viewsIllinoisblue

http://www.prideofanglia.com/page.php?page=matchReport&level=1&day=8&

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 14:10 - Dec 28 with 1741 viewsDennyx4

Away Swindon 1-1 Marshall scored in first half

Team
Forrest
Stockwell
Thompson
Wark
Linighan
Williams
Johnson
Guentchev
Marshall
Youds
Slater

Subs
Baker, Palmer & Yallop

Home 2-1 AET Stockwell scored in first half, Marshall in Extra time

Team
Forrest
Stockwell
Thompson
Mason
Wark
Linighan
Williams
Johnson
Marshall
Youds
Slater

Subs Baker, Palmer & Whitton
Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 14:37 - Dec 28 with 1691 viewsRadlett_blue

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 14:10 - Dec 28 by Dennyx4

Team
Forrest
Stockwell
Thompson
Wark
Linighan
Williams
Johnson
Guentchev
Marshall
Youds
Slater

Subs
Baker, Palmer & Yallop

Team
Forrest
Stockwell
Thompson
Mason
Wark
Linighan
Williams
Johnson
Marshall
Youds
Slater

Amazingly, we thumped Spurs 3-0 in the next round & it was an acute disappointment when we put in a lifeless performance to lose at home to Wolves in a 5th round replay.
Again, Town's league form collapsed in the New Year & we won only 2 out of our last 21 matches, staving off relegation for a year thanks to Mark Stein. Still would have been fuming if we'd gone down as Everton's comeback win over Wimbledon looked hugely fraudulent as Hans Segers put £19k into his bank account a few days later.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 14:46 - Dec 28 with 1677 viewspatrickswell

Team
Forrest
Stockwell
Thompson
Wark
Linighan
Williams
Johnson
Guentchev
Marshall
Youds
Slater

Subs
Baker, Palmer & Yallop

Team
Forrest
Stockwell
Thompson
Mason
Wark
Linighan
Williams
Johnson
Marshall
Youds
Slater

For specificity’s sake, Marshall scored after 28 minutes in the first game. In the replay, Stockwell scored after 45 minutes and the Marshall winner after Nicky Hammond’s miskick took place in the 107th minute.
Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 16:35 - Dec 28 with 1568 viewsPique

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 14:37 - Dec 28 by Radlett_blue

Amazingly, we thumped Spurs 3-0 in the next round & it was an acute disappointment when we put in a lifeless performance to lose at home to Wolves in a 5th round replay.
Again, Town's league form collapsed in the New Year & we won only 2 out of our last 21 matches, staving off relegation for a year thanks to Mark Stein. Still would have been fuming if we'd gone down as Everton's comeback win over Wimbledon looked hugely fraudulent as Hans Segers put £19k into his bank account a few days later.

Yep, that season was largely depressing, apart from the opening games and the Cup run.

Dozzell was gone, Lyall had mysteriously ‘gone upstairs’ (to do what was unclear) and Mick McGiven was in his pomp with his patented 8-1-1 formation.

In fact, looking at those line ups, seven of the players in each were either defenders or defensive midfielders.

Shudder.

And yet we were light years ahead of where we are now!
Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 16:38 - Dec 28 with 1552 viewsgainsboroughblue

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 16:35 - Dec 28 by Pique

Yep, that season was largely depressing, apart from the opening games and the Cup run.

Dozzell was gone, Lyall had mysteriously ‘gone upstairs’ (to do what was unclear) and Mick McGiven was in his pomp with his patented 8-1-1 formation.

In fact, looking at those line ups, seven of the players in each were either defenders or defensive midfielders.

Shudder.

And yet we were light years ahead of where we are now!

I counted eight in each. And in the first game, we had Baker, Palmer and Yallop waiting on the bench to add some attacking flair.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 16:44 - Dec 28 with 1541 viewsPique

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 16:38 - Dec 28 by gainsboroughblue

I counted eight in each. And in the first game, we had Baker, Palmer and Yallop waiting on the bench to add some attacking flair.

Yes, they were dark times.

It always amazes me that, in all the many discussions about Town’s worst ever manager that we’ve had over recent years, McGiven’s name never comes up. He took a fine, pressing team that had performed pretty well in its first year in the Prem and turned it into relegation fodder playing dire football in a very short space of time.

I can only assume a lot of people don’t count him because they thought Lyall was still in charge (which he wasn’t).
Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 16:54 - Dec 28 with 1520 viewsgainsboroughblue

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 16:44 - Dec 28 by Pique

It always amazes me that, in all the many discussions about Town’s worst ever manager that we’ve had over recent years, McGiven’s name never comes up. He took a fine, pressing team that had performed pretty well in its first year in the Prem and turned it into relegation fodder playing dire football in a very short space of time.

I can only assume a lot of people don’t count him because they thought Lyall was still in charge (which he wasn’t).

In terms of our reputation in the top flight, it was a disaster.

We were anti football pretty much from the second half of 92-93 onwards.
Then a laughing stock in 94-95.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Login to get fewer ads

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 17:05 - Dec 28 with 1508 viewsPique

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 16:54 - Dec 28 by gainsboroughblue

I well remember the day 90 Minutes magazine described us as ‘the Suffolkators’...
Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 18:31 - Dec 28 with 1396 viewsBlueyandCrazy

All relative, yes he was a dire manager and certainly it was the worst top flight experience we've had, those last 12months of McGiven (until Burley was given a hospital pass). Under both Burley (in 02) and Ferguson (86) we were relegated but were 'competitive'. However, at the time relative to the sheer boredom of Duncan's football finishing mid-table in the second tier it was seen as at least we were still in the premier league, and was quite short lived...........both McGiven and Duncan have of course since been emulated on several occasions....

Poll: Worst ever ITFC manager

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 21:09 - Dec 28 with 1275 viewsPique

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 18:31 - Dec 28 by BlueyandCrazy

All relative, yes he was a dire manager and certainly it was the worst top flight experience we've had, those last 12months of McGiven (until Burley was given a hospital pass). Under both Burley (in 02) and Ferguson (86) we were relegated but were 'competitive'. However, at the time relative to the sheer boredom of Duncan's football finishing mid-table in the second tier it was seen as at least we were still in the premier league, and was quite short lived...........both McGiven and Duncan have of course since been emulated on several occasions....

I can understand that. I didn’t start supporting ITFC until 1992, so didn’t experience the Duncan years. My first experience of the Town was the ‘Lyall style’, so felt quite betrayed by McGiven (and Lyall too to an extent).

All relative, as you say.
Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 22:40 - Dec 28 with 1227 viewsParisBlue

Team
Forrest
Stockwell
Thompson
Wark
Linighan
Williams
Johnson
Guentchev
Marshall
Youds
Slater

Subs
Baker, Palmer & Yallop

Team
Forrest
Stockwell
Thompson
Mason
Wark
Linighan
Williams
Johnson
Marshall
Youds
Slater

Goals here:

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 22:42 - Dec 28 with 1223 viewsRadlett_blue

After Town won promotion under Lyall, that summer he was elevated to the position of "club manager" & McGiven given the title of "first team manager". Under this regime, the football became increasingly negative & defensive. I suppose this was an attempt at a continental-style system where Lyall was effectively DoF & McGiven first team coach. After the narrow escape from relegation, Lyall was reinstated as team manager & McGiven given the title of "football development manager". Paul Goddard became first team coach. However, after another poor summer recruitment season, I think the die was cast - Sedgley didn't live up to expectations & Paz was a complete dud.

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 00:02 - Dec 29 with 1187 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 16:54 - Dec 28 by gainsboroughblue

Agree. We were painful. Losing Dozzell was a huge blow in 1993 but John Lyall handing over the reigns to Mick McNegative was a disaster. An ageing team by 1994 and some of the signings weren't great.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 04:10 - Dec 29 with 1140 viewsSE1blue

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 21:09 - Dec 28 by Pique

I can understand that. I didn’t start supporting ITFC until 1992, so didn’t experience the Duncan years. My first experience of the Town was the ‘Lyall style’, so felt quite betrayed by McGiven (and Lyall too to an extent).

All relative, as you say.

The Duncan era...

I used to have to ‘persuade’ my dad who didn’t like football to take me to two Town matches a year; a Christmas game and one for my birthday in late April/early May. Those two games meant everything to me.

Duncan nearly stopped this happening. I remember a dire 0-0 against Grimsby in which my dad read the paper for most of the game. There used to be a song that ended ‘who’s gonna score? IPSWICH!’ but the fans changed it to ‘who’s gonna draw? Ipswich’.

Terrible days.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 05:27 - Dec 29 with 1135 viewsPique

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 22:42 - Dec 28 by Radlett_blue

After Town won promotion under Lyall, that summer he was elevated to the position of "club manager" & McGiven given the title of "first team manager". Under this regime, the football became increasingly negative & defensive. I suppose this was an attempt at a continental-style system where Lyall was effectively DoF & McGiven first team coach. After the narrow escape from relegation, Lyall was reinstated as team manager & McGiven given the title of "football development manager". Paul Goddard became first team coach. However, after another poor summer recruitment season, I think the die was cast - Sedgley didn't live up to expectations & Paz was a complete dud.

It’s funny, because in recent years there’s been a lot of clamour for Evans to appoint a DoF - probably quite rightly given his own lack of football knowledge and lack of support he’s provided to successive managers. And yet...I can’t quite get behind it, and I think it’s because I’m still scarred by the memory of these years.

I remember one of the biggest reasons I felt some relief when Burley was appointed was that we finally knew who the hell was in charge!
Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 09:03 - Dec 29 with 1093 viewsRadlett_blue

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 05:27 - Dec 29 by Pique

It’s funny, because in recent years there’s been a lot of clamour for Evans to appoint a DoF - probably quite rightly given his own lack of football knowledge and lack of support he’s provided to successive managers. And yet...I can’t quite get behind it, and I think it’s because I’m still scarred by the memory of these years.

I remember one of the biggest reasons I felt some relief when Burley was appointed was that we finally knew who the hell was in charge!

I didn't feel huge enthusiasm when GB was appointed, but at least he had genuine passion for the club. Some of the other candidates were far less appealing - Howard Kendall, Graham Tuner & Steve Perryman.
While GB had no chance of saving Town from relegation, he did well next season given he inherited an ageing, demoralised squad & he made some shrewd purchases such as Alex Mathie. I almost forgave him the absurd signing of Lee Chapman.

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 14:45 - Dec 29 with 1003 viewsPique

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 09:03 - Dec 29 by Radlett_blue

I didn't feel huge enthusiasm when GB was appointed, but at least he had genuine passion for the club. Some of the other candidates were far less appealing - Howard Kendall, Graham Tuner & Steve Perryman.
While GB had no chance of saving Town from relegation, he did well next season given he inherited an ageing, demoralised squad & he made some shrewd purchases such as Alex Mathie. I almost forgave him the absurd signing of Lee Chapman.

In a way, the fact we were so dreadful in 1994/95 worked to our advantage the next year, because we didn’t lose any players at all (because nobody wanted them!). The likes of Milton, Mason, Thomsen, Sedgley, Stockwell, Mathie, Marshall and Forrest were more than capable at Division One level, so it gave Burley a solid foundation to build on. Adding Mowbray was sensible, and even Uhlenbeek wasn’t bad IMO. And Taricco and Scowcroft started to emerge too.

We didn’t go up, or even make the play offs, but the 1995/96 season was definitely the start of something positive.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2020 14:51]
Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 15:17 - Dec 29 with 975 viewsBobbychase

Is this the game where Norwich had played somewhere like Wycombe the same day, and some of their fans were still in the services when our coaches rolled in? I remember a dozen or so Canaries trying to finish their meals while we sang a few ditties, and the staff fretting that it was going to kick off. As we left another Town coach came in and people were jogging into the services to find the Norwich fans.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 15:29 - Dec 29 with 962 viewsParisBlue

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 14:45 - Dec 29 by Pique

In a way, the fact we were so dreadful in 1994/95 worked to our advantage the next year, because we didn’t lose any players at all (because nobody wanted them!). The likes of Milton, Mason, Thomsen, Sedgley, Stockwell, Mathie, Marshall and Forrest were more than capable at Division One level, so it gave Burley a solid foundation to build on. Adding Mowbray was sensible, and even Uhlenbeek wasn’t bad IMO. And Taricco and Scowcroft started to emerge too.

We didn’t go up, or even make the play offs, but the 1995/96 season was definitely the start of something positive.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2020 14:51]

Tony Vaughan also came through. I was convinced he was to be the next big thing, England youth international snatched under the noses of Man Utd.

We scored 79 goals with a goal difference of +10. Some memorable games (Geriant Williams running half the length of the pitch at Reading, Ullathorne, Taricco getting Sheffield United players sent off, winning at Warlord in Graham Taylor's return after being 2 down, 3 late goals at Barnsley to draw). In the end a bad April stopped us reaching the play offs but it was entertaining.

We could do with history repeating itself with a similar turnaround and journey.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 15:29 - Dec 29 with 961 viewsPJH

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 15:17 - Dec 29 by Bobbychase

Is this the game where Norwich had played somewhere like Wycombe the same day, and some of their fans were still in the services when our coaches rolled in? I remember a dozen or so Canaries trying to finish their meals while we sang a few ditties, and the staff fretting that it was going to kick off. As we left another Town coach came in and people were jogging into the services to find the Norwich fans.

It was that day but I thought we were on our way to Swindon rather than on the way back as you suggest but it certainly was that day.
Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 15:37 - Dec 29 with 955 viewsBobbychase

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 15:29 - Dec 29 by PJH

It was that day but I thought we were on our way to Swindon rather than on the way back as you suggest but it certainly was that day.

Our coaches came across them on the way back. Mike Walker had just left them and we were singing about that.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 15:42 - Dec 29 with 951 viewsPJH

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 15:37 - Dec 29 by Bobbychase

Our coaches came across them on the way back. Mike Walker had just left them and we were singing about that.

Yes, I remember the "Where's your Walker gone?" songs.

I still have it in my head that we were travelling to Swindon but you are probably right, unless it was both to and from that we encountered them.
Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 16:34 - Dec 29 with 931 viewsRadlett_blue

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 15:29 - Dec 29 by ParisBlue

Tony Vaughan also came through. I was convinced he was to be the next big thing, England youth international snatched under the noses of Man Utd.

We scored 79 goals with a goal difference of +10. Some memorable games (Geriant Williams running half the length of the pitch at Reading, Ullathorne, Taricco getting Sheffield United players sent off, winning at Warlord in Graham Taylor's return after being 2 down, 3 late goals at Barnsley to draw). In the end a bad April stopped us reaching the play offs but it was entertaining.

We could do with history repeating itself with a similar turnaround and journey.

Yes, history repeating itself but Town already one tier lower & in a worse league position than most of us have experienced in their lifetime.

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 16:40 - Dec 29 with 928 viewsPJH

Swindon v Town FA Cup (1994) on 15:42 - Dec 29 by PJH

Yes, I remember the "Where's your Walker gone?" songs.

I still have it in my head that we were travelling to Swindon but you are probably right, unless it was both to and from that we encountered them.

I also remember a "Walker does a runner" banner in the back window of one of the coaches that day.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024