Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thought police stuff 18:37 - Dec 28 with 6548 viewsgiant_stow

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-55192786

... With the best of intentions, for sure, but almost pure in its attempt to shape public opinion. This isn't an anti-beeb point btw - just that I was so noticeable and clear.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Thought police stuff on 18:41 - Dec 28 with 4333 viewsJ2BLUE

I saw that earlier and just thought it's becoming like Heat Magazine on parts of the BBC site. That woman sounds incredibly thick.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Thought police stuff on 18:55 - Dec 28 with 4285 viewsgiant_stow

Thought police stuff on 18:41 - Dec 28 by J2BLUE

I saw that earlier and just thought it's becoming like Heat Magazine on parts of the BBC site. That woman sounds incredibly thick.

Yeah that too!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Thought police stuff on 19:15 - Dec 28 with 4236 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If the people and interviews are genuine it smacks of "why do they bother going out for New Year if they begrudge the expense and the experience so much?" Are they that tied to doing what their friends tell them to do?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Thought police stuff on 19:33 - Dec 28 with 4220 viewsmonytowbray

If you ever needed a better summary of the Beeb these days, this nails it.

“The BBC is confusing factuality with balance. The truth is not the midpoint between a fact and a lie, and BBC producers need to be cognisant of their responsibility to represent the truth, above all else.”

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/11/10/us-election-2020-the-power-of-populist-lies-a

The Beeb isn’t fit for purpose anymore.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2020 19:33]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Thought police stuff on 20:09 - Dec 28 with 4147 viewsDarth_Koont

Thought police stuff on 19:33 - Dec 28 by monytowbray

“The BBC is confusing factuality with balance. The truth is not the midpoint between a fact and a lie, and BBC producers need to be cognisant of their responsibility to represent the truth, above all else.”

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/11/10/us-election-2020-the-power-of-populist-lies-a

Agree 100%

The funding for the BBC and a charter for objective, fact-checked public service information needs to be ring-fenced. The problem they’ve had is a) having their funding dependent on the whims of the government and b) as a result, chasing the clickbait of their commercial colleagues.

The BBC do a lot of great stuff but their overall trustworthiness should have been their main responsibility. And they’re they’ve dropped the ball and Laura Kuennsberg has dry-humped it.

Pronouns: He/Him

Thought police stuff on 20:15 - Dec 28 with 4119 viewsGuthrum

It's a tad blunt (being Radio 1 newsbeat), but is trying to influence people away from risky behaviour so far from a public broadcaster's remit? Does it differ so much from the Green Cross Code Man, "Clunk Click Every Trip" or the dont't burn your house down at Christmas ads?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Thought police stuff on 21:41 - Dec 28 with 4009 viewsmonytowbray

Thought police stuff on 20:09 - Dec 28 by Darth_Koont

Agree 100%

The funding for the BBC and a charter for objective, fact-checked public service information needs to be ring-fenced. The problem they’ve had is a) having their funding dependent on the whims of the government and b) as a result, chasing the clickbait of their commercial colleagues.

The BBC do a lot of great stuff but their overall trustworthiness should have been their main responsibility. And they’re they’ve dropped the ball and Laura Kuennsberg has dry-humped it.

Kuennsberg and Peston are embarrassments to Journalism. Both seem to think their job is copying what someone else says and then publishing it without question, then hiding behind the claim of impartiality.

Not to mention both have been completely compromised by inside sources (likely ones that drive to Durham) in favour for such levels of access. Seems all very self-serving in the long run but that's the world we live in, neither will struggle to get a job elsewhere so could they please f*ck off and give up their positions to capable investigative journalists?

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Thought police stuff on 21:53 - Dec 28 with 3987 viewsTractorWood

Thought police stuff on 19:33 - Dec 28 by monytowbray

I love the idea of the BBC. A bastion of free and totally independent speech. However, its execution is so utterly banal, subtly alarmist and self politicising. As someone else says. It also forays into clickbait, like '10 things I learnt whilst not shaving'. Such dross.

On that article specifically, no idea how you can have a £4 taxi fare! Either Wales is unbelievably cheap or she's getting a cab from one side of the street to the other.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Login to get fewer ads

Thought police stuff on 22:35 - Dec 28 with 3933 viewsBlueBadger

Thought police stuff on 20:15 - Dec 28 by Guthrum

It's a tad blunt (being Radio 1 newsbeat), but is trying to influence people away from risky behaviour so far from a public broadcaster's remit? Does it differ so much from the Green Cross Code Man, "Clunk Click Every Trip" or the dont't burn your house down at Christmas ads?

'AIDS: Don't Die Of Ignorance' seems like a more apt parallel..

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Thought police stuff on 22:48 - Dec 28 with 3904 viewsjeera

We've been complaining about people behaving irresponsibly all year so if a piece like this helps to make a few feel less obliged to go to a party in the current situation then that's a good thing.

If it were to have any effect at all, then I don't care what the source is.

Edit: Also just realised it is Newsbeat, so deliberately aimed at youngsters. Honestly can't see a problem here, as Guthers says too, it's performing a job.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2020 23:05]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Thought police stuff on 22:52 - Dec 28 with 3895 viewsjeera

Thought police stuff on 21:53 - Dec 28 by TractorWood

I love the idea of the BBC. A bastion of free and totally independent speech. However, its execution is so utterly banal, subtly alarmist and self politicising. As someone else says. It also forays into clickbait, like '10 things I learnt whilst not shaving'. Such dross.

On that article specifically, no idea how you can have a £4 taxi fare! Either Wales is unbelievably cheap or she's getting a cab from one side of the street to the other.

The £4 to town is quite possibly realistic for a private hire.

A few estates to town are still only in the 4 quids in BSE, but will be fare and a half during the NYE evening, so those fares would become £6 until midnight-ish, becoming either double or triple fare thereafter.

How the heck that leaps to £30 is anyone's guess though.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Thought police stuff on 08:48 - Dec 29 with 3699 views26_Paz

Trying to tell you what to think, don’t listen to them

The Paz Man

Thought police stuff on 10:38 - Dec 29 with 3622 viewsHerbivore

Thought police stuff on 08:48 - Dec 29 by 26_Paz

Trying to tell you what to think, don’t listen to them

The idea that you think is somewhat laughable.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Thought police stuff on 10:43 - Dec 29 with 3613 viewsfooters

Unless you agree with people breaking lockdown, then I'm not sure criticism is fair here. You can criticise the quality of the article, certainly, but what do you expect the BBC to do? Add in someone who says: "Me and a dozen mates don't care about the virus, it's probably a hoax anyway, so we're all planning to meet up on NYE despite what the official government advice says"?

All articles have inherent bias so to pick on one designed to protect public health in the middle of a pandemic is wide of the mark, imo.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Thought police stuff on 10:47 - Dec 29 with 3593 viewsSteve_M

It is Newsbeat Ulla not the Today programme. Target audience is under 25.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Thought police stuff on 10:57 - Dec 29 with 3554 viewsgiant_stow

Thought police stuff on 10:43 - Dec 29 by footers

Unless you agree with people breaking lockdown, then I'm not sure criticism is fair here. You can criticise the quality of the article, certainly, but what do you expect the BBC to do? Add in someone who says: "Me and a dozen mates don't care about the virus, it's probably a hoax anyway, so we're all planning to meet up on NYE despite what the official government advice says"?

All articles have inherent bias so to pick on one designed to protect public health in the middle of a pandemic is wide of the mark, imo.

I think i did a boob on the post title - I don't feel cross or critical about the story - more just commenting on how clear an attempt it is to influence. I take the point about the beeb being a public service broadcaster and having history in running campaigns, but most of those were a little more explicit and open, or at least the 'Charlie says' style films were.

Thought police stuff on 11:06 - Dec 29 with 3545 viewsTractorWood

I don't disagree but the BBC never give an opinion on anything. So arguably they shouldn't publish (albeit well intended) one sided waffle about how awful NYE is. In any normal year they are broadcasting fireworks from every place known to humanity with people in kilts singing auld lang syne.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2020 11:06]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Thought police stuff on 11:26 - Dec 29 with 3487 views26_Paz

What I expect them to do is just report the restrictions that are in place and what will happen to people who do not comply. They should just say ‘don’t go out on NYE because if you do you will be breaking the law and what’s more you would be an idiot’. What they shouldn’t do is subtlety (or not so subtlety) try to tell you that it’s all rubbish anyway so actually it’s better to stay shut in your house like you have done all year.
It’s a rubbish situation, we all know it’s a rubbish situation, just tell us that without any manipulative nonsense.

The Paz Man

Thought police stuff on 11:34 - Dec 29 with 3488 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Thought police stuff on 18:41 - Dec 28 by J2BLUE

...and there was me wondering if she needs a care bubble!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Thought police stuff on 12:22 - Dec 29 with 3446 viewsHerbivore

Thought police stuff on 11:26 - Dec 29 by 26_Paz

What I expect them to do is just report the restrictions that are in place and what will happen to people who do not comply. They should just say ‘don’t go out on NYE because if you do you will be breaking the law and what’s more you would be an idiot’. What they shouldn’t do is subtlety (or not so subtlety) try to tell you that it’s all rubbish anyway so actually it’s better to stay shut in your house like you have done all year.
It’s a rubbish situation, we all know it’s a rubbish situation, just tell us that without any manipulative nonsense.

They can publish what they like, mate. It's a free country.

Thought police stuff on 12:36 - Dec 29 with 3411 views26_Paz

Thought police stuff on 12:22 - Dec 29 by Herbivore

They can publish what they like, mate. It's a free country.

If they were a freely funded media organisation then I would absolutely agree with you.
When they are funded by a regressive form of taxation then they should stick to their remit if I’m honest

The Paz Man

Thought police stuff on 12:40 - Dec 29 with 3410 viewsHerbivore

Thought police stuff on 12:36 - Dec 29 by 26_Paz

If they were a freely funded media organisation then I would absolutely agree with you.
When they are funded by a regressive form of taxation then they should stick to their remit if I’m honest

They have a charter in place, feel free to complain if you feel they've breached it. Just because you pay for a TV licence it doesn't mean Paz off the internet gets to dictate what the BBC should and shouldn't publish.

Thought police stuff on 12:51 - Dec 29 with 3370 viewsJ2BLUE

Thought police stuff on 12:36 - Dec 29 by 26_Paz

The trouble with the BBC is that they are, mostly, fairly balanced. In our increasing black and white world more and more people consider any shade of grey to be siding with the other side. Therefore as the BBC try not to offend anyone and carefully tread the line they manage to offend an ever growing number of people who compare them to their echo chamber of choice.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Thought police stuff on 13:05 - Dec 29 with 3326 views26_Paz

Thought police stuff on 12:40 - Dec 29 by Herbivore

They have a charter in place, feel free to complain if you feel they've breached it. Just because you pay for a TV licence it doesn't mean Paz off the internet gets to dictate what the BBC should and shouldn't publish.

I regularly complain about them

The Paz Man

Thought police stuff on 13:59 - Dec 29 with 3281 viewsSpruceMoose

Thought police stuff on 13:05 - Dec 29 by 26_Paz

I regularly complain about them

Of course you do.

Maybe Newsmax would be more to your liking. They'll just tell Paz exactly what Paz wants to hear, and they will certainly do it with less pigmentation than the BBC.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024