Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning 16:54 - Dec 30 with 4648 viewsgordon

Who would have thought that the Brexiteers actually didn't give a sh*t about fishermen. Total surprise.

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 17:23 - Dec 30 with 2258 viewsBlueNomad

They bought a pup. Now they must pay for what they, and others, have inflicted on our once great country.

I look forward to Paz’s view.
Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 17:27 - Dec 30 with 2234 viewsfooters

Some mistake, surely? There were ardent Brexiteers on here only the other week telling me this would improve the lot of fishing towns and fishermen (and fisherpeople).

What a shock.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 17:29 - Dec 30 with 2230 viewstractordownsouth

It's ridiculous how the last few weeks of negotiation essentially turned into a choice between free trade and more fish, and that Johnson is being heralded as a hero by the majority of Brexiteers. Vote Leave promised complete control of our waters as well as an FTA, so Johnson failed.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 17:37 - Dec 30 with 2191 viewspointofblue

If we withdrew access to our waters then the EU would withdraw access to their markets - it was pretty obvious what would happen. Landing more fish means nothing if they can’t be sold.

Maybe I’m being overly harsh but I’m struggling to drum up any sympathy here.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 17:40 - Dec 30 with 2177 viewsFreddies_Ears

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 17:37 - Dec 30 by pointofblue

If we withdrew access to our waters then the EU would withdraw access to their markets - it was pretty obvious what would happen. Landing more fish means nothing if they can’t be sold.

Agree, I have no sympathy at all. Yet, I thought BJ claimed last week that his deal was great for fishing. He couldn't have been lying, surely?
Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 17:42 - Dec 30 with 2158 viewsfooters

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 17:37 - Dec 30 by pointofblue

Exactly this. Bragging about how 'we have our waters back' while severely damaging the relationship we have with our biggest export markets is not (and I repeat not, for the Brexiteers) very helpful for the fishing industry.

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 17:49 - Dec 30 with 2127 viewsSteve_M

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 17:29 - Dec 30 by tractordownsouth

It's ridiculous how the last few weeks of negotiation essentially turned into a choice between free trade and more fish, and that Johnson is being heralded as a hero by the majority of Brexiteers. Vote Leave promised complete control of our waters as well as an FTA, so Johnson failed.

A complete failure of negotiation from May's 2016 Party Conference speech through to last week. A case elegantly made here:

https://www.politico.eu/article/5-reasons-uk-failed-brexit-talks/

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 18:02 - Dec 30 with 2104 viewsBlueNomad

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 17:49 - Dec 30 by Steve_M

A complete failure of negotiation from May's 2016 Party Conference speech through to last week. A case elegantly made here:

What are you talking about? Easiest trade deal in history........
Login to get fewer ads

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 18:41 - Dec 30 with 2056 viewsHerbivore

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 17:49 - Dec 30 by Steve_M

Our negotiating strategy has basically been that of a shirtless, pissed up England fan singing Rule Britannia in the face of a slightly bemused looking European.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 19:27 - Dec 30 with 1980 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 19:50 - Dec 30 with 1925 viewsGlasgowBlue

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 18:41 - Dec 30 by Herbivore

Our negotiating strategy has basically been that of a shirtless, pissed up England fan singing Rule Britannia in the face of a slightly bemused looking European.

And yet already Norway are complaining that the UK has a better deal than they do as members of the EEA

And German media outlet Bild has claimed "Your Prime Minister has achieved a deal which is nothing short of sensational: Legally out of the EU but with full economic access to it — which is the best possible news for the members of the EU, too".

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 19:55 - Dec 30 with 1891 viewsHerbivore

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 19:50 - Dec 30 by GlasgowBlue

And yet already Norway are complaining that the UK has a better deal than they do as members of the EEA

And German media outlet Bild has claimed "Your Prime Minister has achieved a deal which is nothing short of sensational: Legally out of the EU but with full economic access to it — which is the best possible news for the members of the EU, too".

I can provide plenty of links that say it's a terrible deal if that would please you? I'm not sure what your point is? Could you maybe actually put forth an argument instead of linking to media for a change?

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 19:59 - Dec 30 with 1875 viewsGlasgowBlue

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 19:55 - Dec 30 by Herbivore

I can provide plenty of links that say it's a terrible deal if that would please you? I'm not sure what your point is? Could you maybe actually put forth an argument instead of linking to media for a change?

The point being people who still can't get over the result of 4 years ago will decry any deal we have and will snipe at the people who negotiated it from our side but if they step out of their bubble they would see that people in the EU believe we have a very good deal.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 19:59 - Dec 30 with 1862 viewsfooters

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 19:50 - Dec 30 by GlasgowBlue

You do realise Bild is basically the German Sun, right?

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 20:02 - Dec 30 with 1845 viewsHerbivore

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 19:59 - Dec 30 by GlasgowBlue

The point being people who still can't get over the result of 4 years ago will decry any deal we have and will snipe at the people who negotiated it from our side but if they step out of their bubble they would see that people in the EU believe we have a very good deal.

Righto.

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 20:02 - Dec 30 with 1845 viewsfooters

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 19:59 - Dec 30 by GlasgowBlue

Yes, they're called eurosceptics.

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 20:04 - Dec 30 with 1837 viewsMattinLondon

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 20:02 - Dec 30 by Herbivore

Righto.

I’m not stepping out of my bubble. Currently that would be a stupid and utterly irresponsible thing to do.
Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 20:08 - Dec 30 with 1818 viewsSeablu

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 19:59 - Dec 30 by footers

You do realise Bild is basically the German Sun, right?

He’ll dip his shifty little fingers in any cesspit to come up with what he wants to hear.
If it quacks like a duck moat.....
Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 20:59 - Dec 30 with 1677 viewsSteve_M

Nah, it’s crap deal even against the aims of the government over the last year and a half let alone against the promises of 2016. It ignores financial services, screws fishing (despite the last month of claiming otherwise) and caved on the level playing field provisions (also despite the rhetoric of the last month). On the plus side it’s not a total disaster for the movement of (most) goods.

Also, Norway aren’t in the EU.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 21:05 - Dec 30 with 1666 viewstractordownsouth

I'm glad we have a deal and would love to be proved wrong about Brexit, but it does fail the promises of 2016 of having full control of waters as well of an FTA. Think the overwhelming view of the European press is that the deal isn't as good as it was, but obviously there will be exceptions from Eurosceptic parties. The general consensus is that ours doesn't give as much provision for services as it should too.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 21:06 - Dec 30 with 1661 viewsgordon

Hehe.
Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 21:29 - Dec 30 with 1612 viewsDarth_Koont

Yes, let’s listen to the hardline anti-EU voices in Europe.

They’re not in any way like the hardline anti-EU voices in the UK.

Pronouns: He/Him

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 21:34 - Dec 30 with 1603 viewsChurchman

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 18:41 - Dec 30 by Herbivore

It was shambolic until the end of last year, largely down to the points made in the Politico article. Triggering Article 50 without knowing how the border worked, what passed through it, how it might work with or without a deal, what we wanted from it, who we were negotiating with.... I won’t go on, but it was idiotic. But this lack of preparation goes back to before the 2016 referendum. Bonkers.

However, I actually think Frost and co did a very good job with the cards they were dealt and there is now the basis of a way forward. That includes things like security and financial services. The evidence of a good job? Well, I don’t see Macron or anyone else crowing in quite the same way as they were when they were laughing at May behind her back and to her face - and oily idiot Cameron come to that.

Border systems will be refined and improved and we start with some of the best border controls/systems in the world. In my view, none of this should ever have happened, but it did and the best was made of a bad job.
Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 21:35 - Dec 30 with 1603 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

I know nothing about Norwegian politics. 1 minute of googling and I can see the Centre party advocate Norway’s withdrawal of the EEA. They polled 10% in the last election. Not exactly Norway complaining. Bild. FFS.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 21:44 - Dec 30 with 1584 viewsMattinLondon

Scottish fishermen talking about decommissioning on 21:35 - Dec 30 by WestStanderLaLaLa

I know nothing about Norwegian politics. 1 minute of googling and I can see the Centre party advocate Norway’s withdrawal of the EEA. They polled 10% in the last election. Not exactly Norway complaining. Bild. FFS.

Fair to say that GlasgowsBlue post has been put to bed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024