Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gibraltar Spain border open 17:30 - Dec 31 with 1899 viewsNthsuffolkblue

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/spain-and-uk-agree-deal-to-keep-gibraltar-

I wonder what concessions have been made to enable it. I would not be too surprised if in the longer term Gibraltar becomes Spanish and Ireland unified.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Gibraltar Spain border open on 17:35 - Dec 31 with 1705 viewsFreddies_Ears

Gib didn't have much choice. A hard border would kill the economy - they rely on free movement people, with many who work in Gib living in Spain (for example). So, they may not want to become Spanish, but they recognise that rapprochement is the only way forward. Spain are playing a smart long game.
Gibraltar Spain border open on 18:00 - Dec 31 with 1664 viewsRadioOrwell

Look at Spain with all their sovereignty and controlling their borders. Lucky they are not in the EU.
Gibraltar Spain border open on 20:46 - Dec 31 with 1589 viewsPinewoodblue

Wait until full details are published as they apparently also cover security at Gibraltar airport and docks.

Think about it. Gibraltar in the Schengen zone, UK out of it so we presumably, if we fly to the rock , go through different channels at the airport to Dutch, French or German travellers. Going to upset a few little englanders.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Gibraltar Spain border open on 22:05 - Dec 31 with 1543 viewsbluejacko

Gibraltar Spain border open on 20:46 - Dec 31 by Pinewoodblue

Wait until full details are published as they apparently also cover security at Gibraltar airport and docks.

Think about it. Gibraltar in the Schengen zone, UK out of it so we presumably, if we fly to the rock , go through different channels at the airport to Dutch, French or German travellers. Going to upset a few little englanders.

http://www.marsecreview.com/2015/11/maritime-security-and-gibraltar/
Nothing here about Spain looking after security at Gib docks!
Gibraltar Spain border open on 22:16 - Dec 31 with 1540 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Gibraltar Spain border open on 22:05 - Dec 31 by bluejacko

http://www.marsecreview.com/2015/11/maritime-security-and-gibraltar/
Nothing here about Spain looking after security at Gib docks!

Not sure what relevance an undated article that appears to have been written in November 2015 has to the current situation.

The previous comment about Gibraltar having no choice is right. However, Spain did and that it the point.

Gibraltar Spain border open on 00:26 - Jan 1 with 1477 viewsPinewoodblue

Gibraltar Spain border open on 22:16 - Dec 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

Not sure what relevance an undated article that appears to have been written in November 2015 has to the current situation.

The previous comment about Gibraltar having no choice is right. However, Spain did and that it the point.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/spain-uk-in-last-minute-talks-to-enable-gi

2023 year of destiny

Gibraltar Spain border open on 09:17 - Jan 1 with 1396 viewsbluejacko

Gibraltar Spain border open on 22:16 - Dec 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

Or you could take the view that if Spain hadn’t of agreed a deal a few thousand of their citizens would have been very jarred about having no jobs.
Gibraltar Spain border open on 11:33 - Jan 1 with 1301 viewsRadlett_blue

The post Brexit arrangements for Ireland are clearly another step towards a united Ireland, which to me would be the best long term option for the people. The "Unionist veto" was weakened by Johnson's resounding GE victory so disappointing the Unionists was the rational decision. De-segregating the schools would be the next rational step & eventually the new generation might be less suspicious.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Gibraltar Spain border open on 13:57 - Jan 1 with 1261 viewsEwan_Oozami

Gibraltar Spain border open on 09:17 - Jan 1 by bluejacko

Or you could take the view that if Spain hadn’t of agreed a deal a few thousand of their citizens would have been very jarred about having no jobs.

But it was nice of the UK to put Spain in that position though wasn't it?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Gibraltar Spain border open on 16:09 - Jan 1 with 1217 viewsbluejacko

Gibraltar Spain border open on 11:33 - Jan 1 by Radlett_blue

The post Brexit arrangements for Ireland are clearly another step towards a united Ireland, which to me would be the best long term option for the people. The "Unionist veto" was weakened by Johnson's resounding GE victory so disappointing the Unionists was the rational decision. De-segregating the schools would be the next rational step & eventually the new generation might be less suspicious.

Well living here in NI I have yet to meet anyone with the remote interest in joining with the South and leaving the Union.
Gibraltar Spain border open on 16:27 - Jan 1 with 1207 viewsblueislander

Gibraltar Spain border open on 13:57 - Jan 1 by Ewan_Oozami

But it was nice of the UK to put Spain in that position though wasn't it?

Around 15,000 people cross the border to work. Many of them Spanish which is why Spain were keen to make the deal. They have agreed not to raise the issue of Spanish sovereignty, although they have not renounced it. Of the 15,000:many are not Spanish..When I worked in Gibraltar I lived in Spain.
Gibraltar Spain border open on 17:01 - Jan 1 with 1186 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Gibraltar Spain border open on 16:09 - Jan 1 by bluejacko

Well living here in NI I have yet to meet anyone with the remote interest in joining with the South and leaving the Union.

Yet that might say a lot more about you than the views of the people:

https://www.thejournal.ie/lord-ashcroft-irish-unification-poll-4804372-Sep2019/

Even this article put 35% support for it among those who expressed an opinion: https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-nireland-poll/poll-shows-northern-irel (link Edited)

and this one suggests it is much closer than the Brexit result: https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/northern-ireland-poll-s
[Post edited 1 Jan 2021 17:02]

Gibraltar Spain border open on 17:13 - Jan 1 with 1151 viewsbluejacko

Gibraltar Spain border open on 17:01 - Jan 1 by Nthsuffolkblue

Yet that might say a lot more about you than the views of the people:

https://www.thejournal.ie/lord-ashcroft-irish-unification-poll-4804372-Sep2019/

Even this article put 35% support for it among those who expressed an opinion: https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-nireland-poll/poll-shows-northern-irel (link Edited)

and this one suggests it is much closer than the Brexit result: https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/northern-ireland-poll-s
[Post edited 1 Jan 2021 17:02]

Are yes the polls! And we all know how reliable they are don’t we?
Gibraltar Spain border open on 17:16 - Jan 1 with 1148 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Gibraltar Spain border open on 17:13 - Jan 1 by bluejacko

Are yes the polls! And we all know how reliable they are don’t we?

Hence the degree of variation. You stated you live in NI and have not met a single person with the remotest interest in a united Ireland.

I pointed out that says a lot more about you than the over 1.5 million people you have not discussed it with.

Gibraltar Spain border open on 18:09 - Jan 1 with 1129 viewsbluejacko

Gibraltar Spain border open on 17:16 - Jan 1 by Nthsuffolkblue

Hence the degree of variation. You stated you live in NI and have not met a single person with the remotest interest in a united Ireland.

I pointed out that says a lot more about you than the over 1.5 million people you have not discussed it with.

Look you can walk down a street here and depending who lives at one end or the other you will get a completely different opinion on anything!
Hence I would not believe any poll done in NI because it can be doctored one way or another.
Gibraltar Spain border open on 18:38 - Jan 1 with 1106 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Gibraltar Spain border open on 18:09 - Jan 1 by bluejacko

Look you can walk down a street here and depending who lives at one end or the other you will get a completely different opinion on anything!
Hence I would not believe any poll done in NI because it can be doctored one way or another.

Or to paraphrase, when you said you had not met a single person who wanted a united Ireland, you only meet people on one side of the divide.

It is very sad the divide that still exists and I fear for where it is heading once again.

Gibraltar Spain border open on 11:14 - Jan 2 with 997 viewsbluejacko

Gibraltar Spain border open on 18:38 - Jan 1 by Nthsuffolkblue

Or to paraphrase, when you said you had not met a single person who wanted a united Ireland, you only meet people on one side of the divide.

It is very sad the divide that still exists and I fear for where it is heading once again.

Not true. I work with people from both sides of the divide, so please just don’t assume I have any prejudices either way.

There is only one set of people who will disturb the peace and that is the IRA as the vast majority of people just want to get on with their lives.
So again don’t assume NI is a powder keg waiting to explode.
Gibraltar Spain border open on 11:20 - Jan 2 with 983 viewsvapour_trail

Liar.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Gibraltar Spain border open on 11:33 - Jan 2 with 955 viewsbluejacko

Gibraltar Spain border open on 11:20 - Jan 2 by vapour_trail

Liar.

Well happy new year to you as well What exactly do you accuse me of lying about,after all I do know who I work with and talk too.
Obviously you are following me about and checking up on me.
Gibraltar Spain border open on 11:57 - Jan 2 with 926 viewsnoggin

Gibraltar Spain border open on 11:33 - Jan 2 by bluejacko

Well happy new year to you as well What exactly do you accuse me of lying about,after all I do know who I work with and talk too.
Obviously you are following me about and checking up on me.

Not really sure what is relevant about who you know and what their views are. You know full well that a significant number of people want a united Ireland.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Gibraltar Spain border open on 13:35 - Jan 2 with 888 viewsbluejacko

Gibraltar Spain border open on 11:57 - Jan 2 by noggin

Not really sure what is relevant about who you know and what their views are. You know full well that a significant number of people want a united Ireland.

Well by that logic everybody’s views on here are irrelevant. A very significant number of people do not want a United Ireland

On that note have a good new year.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2021 13:37]
Gibraltar Spain border open on 13:45 - Jan 2 with 849 viewsPinewoodblue

Gibraltar Spain border open on 13:35 - Jan 2 by bluejacko

Well by that logic everybody’s views on here are irrelevant. A very significant number of people do not want a United Ireland

Clearly your views are shaped by those you have contact with. I know quite a few people, who live in Derry, who have strong nationalists views but I also appreciate the fact that these views are not shared by everyone in NI.

Broaden your mind......

2023 year of destiny

Gibraltar Spain border open on 13:52 - Jan 2 with 816 viewsEireannach_gorm

That is a slight position change from nobody wanting a United Ireland. A lot of people realise that the Republic of Ireland would be unable to pump the money that the UK are currently doing into Northern Ireland. The only valid poll is the Border Poll which is written into the Good Friday Agreement.
https://thedetail.tv/articles/border-poll-mechanics
Gibraltar Spain border open on 14:27 - Jan 2 with 775 viewsEireannach_gorm

I forgot to point out the Northern Ireland Brexit result.

Gibraltar Spain border open on 14:30 - Jan 2 with 775 viewsleitrimblue

I wonder if this is due to you mainly dealing with the kind of Irishmen who just haven't realised that they are Irish yet, but who sooner or later will come to see the error of their ways?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024