Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
£2500 a week 10:43 - Jan 1 with 5146 viewschrismakin

That doesn't get you much of a player does it?

There are players in the conference on just under 1k a week,
[Post edited 1 Jan 2021 10:46]

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

£2500 a week on 11:21 - Jan 1 with 4054 viewsBent_double

It is a pretty small amount, double that would have been a bit more realistic, for the larger clubs anyway.

What's the fine for going over the cap, is it something like 3 times the overspend?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

£2500 a week on 11:49 - Jan 1 with 3976 viewsjeera

I'll do it.

Oh, that just proves your point doesn't it.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

£2500 a week on 11:54 - Jan 1 with 3969 viewsPendejo

Back in the 50s my father turned down Millwall and Crystal Palace as he earned more working in insurance and playing in Athenian League.

I think that still happens now, but will probably become more common under salary cap.

BUT I guarantee you he thinks "what if" as he was 26 when England won the world cup... "What if" he had signed for Palace in 1957?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

£2500 a week on 12:07 - Jan 1 with 3908 viewschrismakin

£2500 a week on 11:49 - Jan 1 by jeera

I'll do it.

Oh, that just proves your point doesn't it.

Im just baffled how low it is, I knew there was a cap next season, but £2500 is incredibly low

Any big prospect youngster you have will just get picked up by those above for very little outlay for the buying club, imagine a dobra for example, £2500 easily be offered and probably would accept £6000 in the championship, which is still a really low figure in the grand scheme of things.

UK football is basicaly, Prem league/championship followed by elite Non league starting from league 1

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

£2500 a week on 12:14 - Jan 1 with 3890 viewsjeera

£2500 a week on 12:07 - Jan 1 by chrismakin

Im just baffled how low it is, I knew there was a cap next season, but £2500 is incredibly low

Any big prospect youngster you have will just get picked up by those above for very little outlay for the buying club, imagine a dobra for example, £2500 easily be offered and probably would accept £6000 in the championship, which is still a really low figure in the grand scheme of things.

UK football is basicaly, Prem league/championship followed by elite Non league starting from league 1

I meant if all you can is the likes of me then you're right, we're stuffed.

But yes, it's nowhere near enough.

Although I am in favour of some grading system when it comes to wages attached to the various divisions, it has to be more realistic than that.

£2500 a week on 12:20 - Jan 1 with 3877 viewsGuthrum

The point of a cap is that everyone is in the same boat. If a player cannot attract the interest of a higher-level club (which themselves have restrictions and a limited number of places on the squad), then a move for financial reasons alone becomes less of an incentive and all options are equal on that front.

Clubs will have to sell themselves on the basis of achievement, potential, ambition, good coaching, facilities, pleasant environment, fan support and the like, instead of just offering big bucks.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

£2500 a week on 12:21 - Jan 1 with 3870 viewsGuthrum

£2500 a week on 11:54 - Jan 1 by Pendejo

Back in the 50s my father turned down Millwall and Crystal Palace as he earned more working in insurance and playing in Athenian League.

I think that still happens now, but will probably become more common under salary cap.

BUT I guarantee you he thinks "what if" as he was 26 when England won the world cup... "What if" he had signed for Palace in 1957?

Remember Russell Osman talking about how, in his playing days, win- and other bonuses were a real financial incentive, given the basic wage was nothing special.

£2500 a week on 12:24 - Jan 1 with 3842 viewsDurovigutum

£2500 a week on 12:07 - Jan 1 by chrismakin

This is the problem. Chelsea pay some under 18s more than that, what chance do we have of keeping "the next Kieron Dyer" with this cap? We've already lost academy kids for peanuts and with the Brexit u18 EU kids rule (and limits for u21) this will get worse!
Login to get fewer ads

£2500 a week on 12:27 - Jan 1 with 3826 viewschrismakin

£2500 a week on 12:24 - Jan 1 by Durovigutum

This is the problem. Chelsea pay some under 18s more than that, what chance do we have of keeping "the next Kieron Dyer" with this cap? We've already lost academy kids for peanuts and with the Brexit u18 EU kids rule (and limits for u21) this will get worse!

Norwich pretty much have the whole of East Anglia's kids to keep an eye on, can let us develop them, then come swipe them away for peanuts let alone other clubs

Seen the champ clubs are looking at 18-20 Mill wage caps, with league 1's being between 1.5 and 2.5 mill that's a ridiculous difference

£2500 a week on 12:30 - Jan 1 with 3812 viewsjeera

£2500 a week on 12:20 - Jan 1 by Guthrum

The point of a cap is that everyone is in the same boat. If a player cannot attract the interest of a higher-level club (which themselves have restrictions and a limited number of places on the squad), then a move for financial reasons alone becomes less of an incentive and all options are equal on that front.

Clubs will have to sell themselves on the basis of achievement, potential, ambition, good coaching, facilities, pleasant environment, fan support and the like, instead of just offering big bucks.

"potential, ambition, good coaching, facilities, pleasant environment"

So we're stuffed then.

£2500 a week on 12:35 - Jan 1 with 3803 viewschrismakin

£2500 a week on 12:20 - Jan 1 by Guthrum

I'd agree if there wasn't such a vast difference, but there is financially between the football leagues

Really league 1 is miles away from the leagues above and do pretty much fall into a sort of elite non league set up with league 2 downwards etc it's in it's own world.

£2500 a week on 12:46 - Jan 1 with 3770 viewsGuthrum

£2500 a week on 12:30 - Jan 1 by jeera

"potential, ambition, good coaching, facilities, pleasant environment"

So we're stuffed then.

That thought was in the back of my head even as I typed it.

£2500 a week on 12:56 - Jan 1 with 3745 viewsGuthrum

£2500 a week on 12:35 - Jan 1 by chrismakin

I'd agree if there wasn't such a vast difference, but there is financially between the football leagues

Really league 1 is miles away from the leagues above and do pretty much fall into a sort of elite non league set up with league 2 downwards etc it's in it's own world.

Indeed. But not every decent player can get into the Prem or Champ. Especially so if they don't want to end up perennial bench-warmers or more distant reserves, never getting any proper match-time. Very few clubs at the higher levels can themselves afford to hoover up everyone who might simply be available. Even most of those are the wealthiest top Prem sides, who are going to be more picky, anyway.

There'll still be a sizeable pool of decent players or youngsters with potential who will have no option but to look for work in League One and accept the wage levels commensurate with that. Indeed, it might reduce the number of "old lags looking for a last payday", offering the illusion of skill and experience, hiding the reality of loss of fitness, pace and/or motivation.

£2500 a week on 13:20 - Jan 1 with 3684 viewsSwansea_Blue

It should do though, shouldn’t it? £130k per year for an average clogger in the lower leagues is more than enough. Imagine players like Kenlock on that - it’d work out at about £30k per appearance.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

£2500 a week on 13:30 - Jan 1 with 3660 viewsRadlett_blue

£2500 a week on 12:27 - Jan 1 by chrismakin

Norwich pretty much have the whole of East Anglia's kids to keep an eye on, can let us develop them, then come swipe them away for peanuts let alone other clubs

Seen the champ clubs are looking at 18-20 Mill wage caps, with league 1's being between 1.5 and 2.5 mill that's a ridiculous difference

The real problem is & always has been the vast amount of TV money generated by the PL. Even the bottom club gets over £85m each year &naturally most of this is spent on wages. Unless there is a collapse in TV rights, this problem isn't going away & may continue to get worse. Hence, the Championship clubs over-spend in a desperate attempt to get into the PL.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

£2500 a week on 13:41 - Jan 1 with 3615 viewstractorboy1978

That's why failing to go up this season is a disaster. A few on here don't think this squad is up to much now but they will get a real shock if we are still in this league next year.
£2500 a week on 13:54 - Jan 1 with 3568 viewsRegencyBlue

£2500 a week on 13:41 - Jan 1 by tractorboy1978

That's why failing to go up this season is a disaster. A few on here don't think this squad is up to much now but they will get a real shock if we are still in this league next year.

It won’t be a shock unfortunately, just a continuation of the last thirteen years of relentless decline.
£2500 a week on 14:12 - Jan 1 with 3540 viewsRadlett_blue

£2500 a week on 13:54 - Jan 1 by RegencyBlue

It won’t be a shock unfortunately, just a continuation of the last thirteen years of relentless decline.

Indeed. Town have now reached such depths that becoming a Rotherham-type yo-yo club between the 2nd & 3rd tiers seems the best possible outcome.

£2500 a week on 14:46 - Jan 1 with 3459 viewsyesjohn99

£2500 a week on 13:30 - Jan 1 by Radlett_blue

The real problem is & always has been the vast amount of TV money generated by the PL. Even the bottom club gets over £85m each year &naturally most of this is spent on wages. Unless there is a collapse in TV rights, this problem isn't going away & may continue to get worse. Hence, the Championship clubs over-spend in a desperate attempt to get into the PL.

Fingers crossed for a breakaway euro league. Sky/BT move on from the premier league leaving the domestic game to implode completely and we can all go to watch Ipswich wanderers.
£2500 a week on 16:43 - Jan 1 with 3336 viewsRadlett_blue

£2500 a week on 14:46 - Jan 1 by yesjohn99

Fingers crossed for a breakaway euro league. Sky/BT move on from the premier league leaving the domestic game to implode completely and we can all go to watch Ipswich wanderers.

It wouldn't surprise me if this happened & there has been more than one serious attempt. UEFA's response is usually to try to "fix" the champions' League more in favour of the big clubs.
If it did happen, the impact on the domestic leagues would be interesting. Their TV revenue would collapse & wages would have to do likewise. It might make the Football League more interesting & a more level playing field, although the level of casual interest would be much smaller. The fact that the clubs would effectively be "feeder clubs" for the big boys wouldn't actually represent much of a change & the FA Cup might be taken more seriously again.

£2500 a week on 18:37 - Jan 1 with 3200 viewsGeorge25

Will be interesting to see who’s the first club to get round it by paying player the average wage but buying them car, houses and stuff to get round it.
£2500 a week on 18:52 - Jan 1 with 3174 viewsjayessess

More likely player wages will have to adapt to the cap, I think.
Vast majority of the players in League One are there because they don't have the ability to play in the Championship. They aren't suddenly going to be drowning in better job offers just because the money on offer in L1 is more limited and most will have to cut their cloth to suit.

It'll erode our financial advantage over smaller L1 clubs, but it's not really going to affect the quality of player we can attract that much.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

£2500 a week on 19:57 - Jan 1 with 3129 viewsDurovigutum

£2500 a week on 18:37 - Jan 1 by George25

Will be interesting to see who’s the first club to get round it by paying player the average wage but buying them car, houses and stuff to get round it.

It will go onto the P60. The old fashioned car sponsorship by the local garage is an interesting question - then player pays the BIK but it's not a club expense....
£2500 a week on 20:01 - Jan 1 with 3116 viewsJ2BLUE

Finally you're getting it. Hopefully you now see why your 'write off the season' idea was so utterly stupid.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

£2500 a week on 20:02 - Jan 1 with 3117 viewschrismakin

£2500 a week on 20:01 - Jan 1 by J2BLUE

Finally you're getting it. Hopefully you now see why your 'write off the season' idea was so utterly stupid.

Well I did say it was stupid

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024