Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has the R number been revised down a bit? 17:07 - Jan 3 with 4663 viewsNthQldITFC

For those who've been looking at the localised map at https://localcovid.info/map.html, it looks to me that the 'actual' values for the last week or so and the forecast now are significantly lower than when I looked at them around Christmas time. If so that's a bit of encouragement. Or am I 'mis-remembering'?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Has the R number been revised down a bit? on 17:20 - Jan 3 with 2368 viewsTrequartista

Can see what you mean - drag that date picker back to Dec 10 and its red nearly everywhere, yet the latest data has a lot of blue, even in Kent.

This doesn't seem to tally with the high infection rates we are seeing, and the assumption that the new strain, which is now dominant, pushes the R up by 0.4

Others might be able to explain it.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Has the R number been revised down a bit? on 17:24 - Jan 3 with 2339 viewslowhouseblue

Has the R number been revised down a bit? on 17:20 - Jan 3 by Trequartista

Can see what you mean - drag that date picker back to Dec 10 and its red nearly everywhere, yet the latest data has a lot of blue, even in Kent.

This doesn't seem to tally with the high infection rates we are seeing, and the assumption that the new strain, which is now dominant, pushes the R up by 0.4

was speaking to someone in one of the bits of kent which was seeing explosive growth a few weeks ago. apparently their numbers have newcomer down hugely. if that's right it's surprising given the high incidence of the new strain.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Has the R number been revised down a bit? on 17:48 - Jan 3 with 2260 viewsTrequartista

Has the R number been revised down a bit? on 17:24 - Jan 3 by lowhouseblue

was speaking to someone in one of the bits of kent which was seeing explosive growth a few weeks ago. apparently their numbers have newcomer down hugely. if that's right it's surprising given the high incidence of the new strain.

Looking at some random Kent figures from a week ago, Dover went down from 855 to 532 cases and Thanet 3128 to 2421, big drops, so your anecdotal evidence seems borne out.

This seems to be replicated in areas that initially went into Tier 4 in Essex where both Chelmsford and Brentwood (20%) are down. Whereas areas later into Tier 4 such as Colchester and Ipswich are still rising.

East London is still seeing big increases still in Barking, Newham.

So i wonder if Tier 4 is reducing the R in areas with no big urban centres (Kent and Essex). Although the strain is more transmissible, if you keep away from people it has no chance to display this (as simple as that may sound).
[Post edited 3 Jan 2021 17:49]

Has the R number been revised down a bit? on 17:50 - Jan 3 with 2238 viewsWD19

Has the R number been revised down a bit? on 17:24 - Jan 3 by lowhouseblue

It’s always going to be an inexact science guesstimating the transmission rate of the new strain in and amongst everything else. Clearly I know nothing, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it turns out it is not much more contagious than before.....it’s just more of a case that this variant runs through kids more easily.....who haven’t been mixing much for 2 weeks. Maybe that is just hope.
Has the R number been revised down a bit? on 18:06 - Jan 3 with 2182 viewsStokieBlue

Has the R number been revised down a bit? on 17:20 - Jan 3 by Trequartista

The latest study from Imperial cites that the VOC202012/01 strain put the R value up by between 0.4 and 0.7 which is an increase on the preliminary studies.

I'll look at the actual data in the tool after dinner but I wouldn't expect anywhere to be below 1.2 given this (based on the fact we couldn't really ever get the R<0.8 for the previous strain and this one adds at least 0.4). I would expect many regions to be R>1.5.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Has the R number been revised down a bit? on 18:12 - Jan 3 with 2168 viewsElderGrizzly

I’d be astonished if it has, certainly based on what is going on in London hospitals

It appears out of control

Has the R number been revised down a bit? on 18:20 - Jan 3 with 2137 viewsTrequartista

Has the R number been revised down a bit? on 18:06 - Jan 3 by StokieBlue

The latest study from Imperial cites that the VOC202012/01 strain put the R value up by between 0.4 and 0.7 which is an increase on the preliminary studies.

I'll look at the actual data in the tool after dinner but I wouldn't expect anywhere to be below 1.2 given this (based on the fact we couldn't really ever get the R<0.8 for the previous strain and this one adds at least 0.4). I would expect many regions to be R>1.5.

SB

It seems to me that the 'R' has a huge regional variance so if the national 'R' is 1.2-1.4 it could be 0.8-1.0 in some areas and 1.6-1.8 in others.

Indeed going by the map cited in the op, on Dec 5, Brentwood was at 1.7-2.4 and Thurrock 1.8-2.5

Here he is, TWTD's very own..... on 18:41 - Jan 3 with 2069 viewsBloots

Has the R number been revised down a bit? on 18:12 - Jan 3 by ElderGrizzly

I’d be astonished if it has, certainly based on what is going on in London hospitals

....little ray of sunshine.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Login to get fewer ads

Has the R number been revised down a bit? on 18:43 - Jan 3 with 2060 viewsDennyx4

Has the R number been revised down a bit? on 17:48 - Jan 3 by Trequartista

Looking at some random Kent figures from a week ago, Dover went down from 855 to 532 cases and Thanet 3128 to 2421, big drops, so your anecdotal evidence seems borne out.

This seems to be replicated in areas that initially went into Tier 4 in Essex where both Chelmsford and Brentwood (20%) are down. Whereas areas later into Tier 4 such as Colchester and Ipswich are still rising.

So i wonder if Tier 4 is reducing the R in areas with no big urban centres (Kent and Essex). Although the strain is more transmissible, if you keep away from people it has no chance to display this (as simple as that may sound).

Is it because there were less tests carried out because it was Christmas?
Has the R number been revised down a bit? on 18:55 - Jan 3 with 2023 viewsvapour_trail

Has the R number been revised down a bit? on 17:48 - Jan 3 by Trequartista

I’m in Kent.

We’ve been locked down for two months now, since the start of November, you’d want to see some impact on the back of that. Where I am, the first fall in numbers was the seven days to 25 Dec.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Has the R number been revised down a bit? on 18:58 - Jan 3 with 2018 viewsTrequartista

Has the R number been revised down a bit? on 18:43 - Jan 3 by Dennyx4

Is it because there were less tests carried out because it was Christmas?

No, there were more tests

I took my figures from Dec22-Dec28. Dec 22,23 and 24 saw the highest amount of testing so far in the entire pandemic in the UK, it drops back for Dec 25-28 but still higher than the normal weekend testing levels

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/testing

Here he is, TWTD's very own..... on 19:47 - Jan 3 with 1942 viewsElderGrizzly

Here he is, TWTD's very own..... on 18:41 - Jan 3 by Bloots

....little ray of sunshine.

I try. You wait until Tier 5 arrives on Thursday :)
Here he is, TWTD's very own..... on 20:23 - Jan 3 with 1901 viewsfactual_blue

Here he is, TWTD's very own..... on 19:47 - Jan 3 by ElderGrizzly

We know you're trying.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Here he is, TWTD's very own..... on 20:24 - Jan 3 with 1892 views26_Paz

Here he is, TWTD's very own..... on 19:47 - Jan 3 by ElderGrizzly

What’s going to be in tier 5? Schools aside there’s not much left to close ...

The Paz Man

Here he is, TWTD's very own..... on 20:42 - Jan 3 with 1852 viewsWD19

Here he is, TWTD's very own..... on 20:24 - Jan 3 by 26_Paz

I think you have just answered your own question.

Although I guess they could go back to rationing ppl leaving their house and ban meeting out of home. They should definitely prevent ppl going to the supermarket in groups larger than 1.
Here he is, TWTD's very own..... on 20:48 - Jan 3 with 1814 views26_Paz

Here he is, TWTD's very own..... on 20:42 - Jan 3 by WD19

Although I guess they could go back to rationing ppl leaving their house and ban meeting out of home. They should definitely prevent ppl going to the supermarket in groups larger than 1.

It’s only meeting one person outside at the moment anyway I think ... I can’t imagine getting rid of that will make any difference.
The one hour outside thing is just completely unenforceable as well ... and in all honesty I can’t see what harm going for a run before work and then maybe a walk to clear the head after does either ...

The Paz Man

Here he is, TWTD's very own..... on 20:51 - Jan 3 with 1806 viewsblueprint

It astonishes me that couples still seem to be out shopping together when it’s just not necessary. To be honest my wife and I never go to supermarkets together even pre Covid.
Here he is, TWTD's very own..... on 21:11 - Jan 3 with 1771 viewsgordon

Think TWTD shuts in Tier 8, if I remember right.
Here he is, TWTD's very own..... on 21:32 - Jan 3 with 1726 viewsMookamoo

Friend of mine lives on the outskirts of Paris. When they locked down in April only one person from the household was allowed out to do the shopping. No walks, nothing.

We at least need to stop anyone travelling under the guise of exercise. Too many people are taking the proverbial.
Here he is, TWTD's very own..... on 21:53 - Jan 3 with 1688 viewsElderGrizzly

Here he is, TWTD's very own..... on 21:32 - Jan 3 by Mookamoo

Friend of mine lives on the outskirts of Paris. When they locked down in April only one person from the household was allowed out to do the shopping. No walks, nothing.

We at least need to stop anyone travelling under the guise of exercise. Too many people are taking the proverbial.

I’ve seen friends who are Airplane Spotters saying that counts as exercise, as it is outdoors.

Agree, we need people to make better decisions and less selfish ones
Has the R number been revised down a bit? on 22:00 - Jan 3 with 1668 viewspointofblue

Has the R number been revised down a bit? on 18:12 - Jan 3 by ElderGrizzly

Scrabbling for positivity, don't hospitals tend to be a couple of weeks behind case count? So if the case count starts to decrease it won't show in the hospital count for a further fortnight.

To put it bluntly the whole country needs to go back into the original lockdown set up. I understand the pressures for schools and children's education but the scales have tipped towards health issues in a very dramatic way.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Here he is, TWTD's very own..... on 22:09 - Jan 3 with 1641 viewsbluelagos

Here he is, TWTD's very own..... on 21:53 - Jan 3 by ElderGrizzly

I’ve seen friends who are Airplane Spotters saying that counts as exercise, as it is outdoors.

Agree, we need people to make better decisions and less selfish ones

1. You are allowed outside for recreation.

2. Struggling to see why looking at the sky is dangerous.

3. Strugggling to see why looking at the sky is selfish.

If your friends find it helps them and they are not in a group, have no objections whatsoever tbh.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Has the R number been revised down a bit? on 22:12 - Jan 3 with 1630 viewsTrequartista

Has the R number been revised down a bit? on 22:00 - Jan 3 by pointofblue

Scrabbling for positivity, don't hospitals tend to be a couple of weeks behind case count? So if the case count starts to decrease it won't show in the hospital count for a further fortnight.

To put it bluntly the whole country needs to go back into the original lockdown set up. I understand the pressures for schools and children's education but the scales have tipped towards health issues in a very dramatic way.

Possibly but the 'R' rate reducing in London and hospital cases rising is not contradictory because the 'R' rate is still above 1.0

Here he is, TWTD's very own..... on 22:14 - Jan 3 with 1602 views26_Paz

Here he is, TWTD's very own..... on 22:09 - Jan 3 by bluelagos

1. You are allowed outside for recreation.

2. Struggling to see why looking at the sky is dangerous.

3. Strugggling to see why looking at the sky is selfish.

If your friends find it helps them and they are not in a group, have no objections whatsoever tbh.

Tend to agree with this. They’re outside getting their exercise, maybe they can’t run or walk long distances but if they want to spend a couple of hours outside looking at planes on their own then I’d think they’re a bit weird but why on earth not!

The Paz Man

Here he is, TWTD's very own..... on 22:15 - Jan 3 with 1603 viewsTrequartista

Would imagine it is schools closing.

Looking at the case data and the R rates in the op, it would seem a good idea to close schools in London where Tier 4 has failed to reduce the R below 1.0 and leave them open in Kent and South and West Essex where Tier 4 appears to have done the job, with decisions pending on areas that went into Tier 4 on Boxing Day when we get the next batch of data.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2021 22:16]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024