Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sergei Baltacha’s debut 10:24 - Jan 4 with 3301 viewsITFC_nostalgia

Hi all. Does anyone know who played in defence for Sergei’s debut v Stoke?

Here’s the team and given I know Sergei played right midfield in a 4-4-2 we must have played a makeshift central defender or right back (with Yallop playing central) which makes it even more crazy he played there. This was pre Warky being a defender I think but may be it was him?

Fearon;
Yallop Linighan Harbey;
Baltacha Zondervan Hill Wark Redford;
Dozzell Kiwomya.
Sub: D’Avray
Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 10:35 - Jan 4 with 2313 viewsgainsboroughblue

I think it would have been Warky in central defence. Makes sense from that line up. Well, not sense, but you know what I mean.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

(No subject) (n/t) on 10:50 - Jan 4 with 2274 viewsTrequartista

Yallop I think with Zondervan right back. John Duncan would often play Warky up front rather than in defence.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2021 10:53]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 10:51 - Jan 4 with 2278 viewsPJH

Yallop was certainly at RB playing behind Sergei because SB kept looking at Frank Yallop for instructions on where to stand when we did not have the ball.

I think Warky was in central defence.
Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 11:11 - Jan 4 with 2210 viewsazuremerlangus

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 10:51 - Jan 4 by PJH

Yallop was certainly at RB playing behind Sergei because SB kept looking at Frank Yallop for instructions on where to stand when we did not have the ball.

How an earth do you remember that much detail? I can remember him scoring in that match but that is about it.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2021 11:13]

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 11:19 - Jan 4 with 2183 viewsPJH

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 11:11 - Jan 4 by azuremerlangus

How an earth do you remember that much detail? I can remember him scoring in that match but that is about it.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2021 11:13]

I just do remember Sergei keep looking to Frank and Frank beckoning him to move backwards until he put his hand up to stop.

I just remember thinking it strange that a player that had appeared in the 1982 World Cup should need on field coaching on his positional sense. That is not having a go at Sergei, just the ridiculous situation of having a top class sweeper being asked to play wide right midfield.
Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 11:25 - Jan 4 with 2167 viewsBluespeed225

Glue pot pitch, Mick Mills managing Stoke? I remember saying to my mate, 'he's in there', then mini scenes among a sparce crowd, though being in The North always had a warmth!
Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 11:50 - Jan 4 with 2126 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 11:25 - Jan 4 by Bluespeed225

Glue pot pitch, Mick Mills managing Stoke? I remember saying to my mate, 'he's in there', then mini scenes among a sparce crowd, though being in The North always had a warmth!

I think there were over 18,000 there for thew game. Sergei put 2,000 extra on the gate. 0-0 at half-time before Sergei scored early in the second half at the Churchman's end. Dave Bamber scored a header for Stoke at 3-0.

You're right about the pitch and it was a defence of Yallop, Linighan, Wark and Harbey. David Hill played in midfield.

I have the full match on VHS but haven't watched it since 1989.

Very nice man Sergei, who was part of the Soviet Union squad which reached the final of the 1988 European Championship a few months before joining us. The best side at the tournament in my opinion. Always one of life's great mysteries why you'd sign a world class sweeper and play him on the right wing. Sergei's instructions when he arrived was to 'run, run, run'. Madness.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2021 11:50]

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 11:54 - Jan 4 with 2114 viewsbrazil1982

I have a copy of the Green Un from that match, a quick read doesn't give much away as to the formation of the team, does mention Wark with a couple of defensive actions but that is all.
Login to get fewer ads

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 12:14 - Jan 4 with 2086 viewsRadlett_blue

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 11:50 - Jan 4 by The_Last_Baron

I think there were over 18,000 there for thew game. Sergei put 2,000 extra on the gate. 0-0 at half-time before Sergei scored early in the second half at the Churchman's end. Dave Bamber scored a header for Stoke at 3-0.

You're right about the pitch and it was a defence of Yallop, Linighan, Wark and Harbey. David Hill played in midfield.

Very nice man Sergei, who was part of the Soviet Union squad which reached the final of the 1988 European Championship a few months before joining us. The best side at the tournament in my opinion. Always one of life's great mysteries why you'd sign a world class sweeper and play him on the right wing. Sergei's instructions when he arrived was to 'run, run, run'. Madness.

Crowd was 14,692 which might not sound much but we'd recently been getting under 10,000 for run of the mill games.
I remember Baltacha looking a bit like a fish out of water as a right midfield player, though he did win a few headers. He stayed in midfield for the next couple of games, both of which Town lost.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 12:33 - Jan 4 with 2046 viewsgainsboroughblue

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 12:14 - Jan 4 by Radlett_blue

Crowd was 14,692 which might not sound much but we'd recently been getting under 10,000 for run of the mill games.
I remember Baltacha looking a bit like a fish out of water as a right midfield player, though he did win a few headers. He stayed in midfield for the next couple of games, both of which Town lost.

I do remember an attendance of 13,000 plus being described as a 'bumper crowd' by Dave Allard in the Evening Star.

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 12:40 - Jan 4 with 2028 viewsTrequartista

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 10:51 - Jan 4 by PJH

If you can remember that I would suspect you are more likely to be correct than my guess. Yallop certainly played centre back in that season as there are matches where Wark isn’t in the side where Yallop and Linighan are the only centre back possibilities

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 13:03 - Jan 4 with 1987 viewsPJH

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 12:40 - Jan 4 by Trequartista

If you can remember that I would suspect you are more likely to be correct than my guess. Yallop certainly played centre back in that season as there are matches where Wark isn’t in the side where Yallop and Linighan are the only centre back possibilities

Yes Yallop did play centre back on occasions as you say but my (now 70 year old) memory tells me that he was certainly at RB that day.

As near as I get to def info!
Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 14:43 - Jan 4 with 1880 viewsstonojnr

I dont remember Wark playing as a defender during that second spell, certainly not a first choice defender, that only seemed to be when he'd lost all his pace but could use his brain to work out how to be in the right position still, maybe he was more a defensive midfielder, but it was John Duncan random role picks & formations so he could have been playing anywhere on the pitch quite frankly.
Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 14:49 - Jan 4 with 1872 viewsbluelagos

Was HIll not a fullback?

Which would be simple 442 of:

Fearon
Hill - Yallop - Linighan - Harbey
Baltacha - Wark/Redford - Dozzell - Zondervan
Redford/Wark - Kiwomya.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 14:59 - Jan 4 with 1858 viewsRadlett_blue

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 14:43 - Jan 4 by stonojnr

I dont remember Wark playing as a defender during that second spell, certainly not a first choice defender, that only seemed to be when he'd lost all his pace but could use his brain to work out how to be in the right position still, maybe he was more a defensive midfielder, but it was John Duncan random role picks & formations so he could have been playing anywhere on the pitch quite frankly.

Wark was replaced by Mich D'Avray during the Stoke game, but D'Avray had played a few times as a not very good emergency centre back.
David Hill (another of Duncan's Paul Hurst-type lower league signings) was primarily used as a midfield player, but he could also play left back.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 15:07 - Jan 4 with 1849 viewsgainsboroughblue

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 14:49 - Jan 4 by bluelagos

Was HIll not a fullback?

Fearon
Redford/Wark - Kiwomya.

Hill never played right-back. Had a right foot for literally standing on.

Harbey was occasionally pushed into midfield but with Redford on the left, I suspect Hill was in the middle with Zondervan and Sergei inexplicably on the right. Dozzell up front with Kiwomya.

As much as I remember Warky being in the back four for his third spell, I suspect he was alongside Linighan that day.

Fearon
Yallop Wark Linighan Harbey
Baltacha Zondervan Hill Redford
Dozzell Kiwomya

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 15:45 - Jan 4 with 1802 viewsBluespeed225

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 14:59 - Jan 4 by Radlett_blue

Wark was replaced by Mich D'Avray during the Stoke game, but D'Avray had played a few times as a not very good emergency centre back.
David Hill (another of Duncan's Paul Hurst-type lower league signings) was primarily used as a midfield player, but he could also play left back.

Forgot D'Avray was even still around then! Married a Churchmans ( the factory, don't know where she stood/sat) girl. Was that his last season?
Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 15:48 - Jan 4 with 1794 viewsMaySixth

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 11:50 - Jan 4 by The_Last_Baron

I was there with a mate - 15 years old. Got the train up from London. Stood in the Pioneer terrace.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 15:50 - Jan 4 with 1788 viewsgainsboroughblue

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 15:45 - Jan 4 by Bluespeed225

Forgot D'Avray was even still around then! Married a Churchmans ( the factory, don't know where she stood/sat) girl. Was that his last season?

His last season was 89-90 but didn't play many games from memory.

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 15:57 - Jan 4 with 1780 viewsPJH

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 15:50 - Jan 4 by gainsboroughblue

His last season was 89-90 but didn't play many games from memory.

If he was playing from memory he should not have been playing at all.

He started 8 plus 4 subs in 1989/90.
Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 17:42 - Jan 4 with 1709 viewsCoastalblue

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 14:49 - Jan 4 by bluelagos

Was HIll not a fullback?

Fearon
Redford/Wark - Kiwomya.

I regularly used to question if Hill was a footballer, let alone worrying about what position he could play. He was dreadful.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 18:48 - Jan 4 with 1668 viewsGeoffSentence

This prompted me to search on Baltacha and I unearthed this

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/1697704/st-johnstone

Good stuff on Sir Bob, and some revealing if unsurprising information on John Duncan.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 20:22 - Jan 4 with 1593 viewsMelford

I remember the big inflatable vodka bottle being chucked about on his debut.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 02:01 - Jan 5 with 1490 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 14:59 - Jan 4 by Radlett_blue

Warky played quite a few games as a centre forward during his second spell, scored some goals from corners from near post flick ons with Wark heading home or volleying in at the far post. A simple trick which Division Two defences didn't seem able to prevent a lot of the time.

He also played alongside Linighan a lot, including the infamous 5-0 hammering at Port Vale on New Year's Day when they were hungover. He tells the story in his book.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 02:38 - Jan 5 with 1473 viewsstiff_talking

Sergei Baltacha’s debut on 02:01 - Jan 5 by The_Last_Baron

Warky played quite a few games as a centre forward during his second spell, scored some goals from corners from near post flick ons with Wark heading home or volleying in at the far post. A simple trick which Division Two defences didn't seem able to prevent a lot of the time.

He also played alongside Linighan a lot, including the infamous 5-0 hammering at Port Vale on New Year's Day when they were hungover. He tells the story in his book.

I remember the excitement of Walsall away game the week prior when news broke he was joining the team. I remember waiting outside the ground for the arrival of the team bus to catch a glimpse of this Russian legend. Great days when you were a kid and expected another Classic transfer market dealing from foreign soil.

It was fitting he scored on his debut and it seemed like a massive leap forward as those were dark days under John Duncan.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024