Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Covid good news (long-term) 18:42 - Jan 5 with 1407 viewsTrequartista

Buried under all the bad news (understandably), is the result of a study in Newcastle that has now proven you have immunity from Covid-19 (sars-covid-2) for at least 6 months if you've survived it first time, (zero NHS workers re-infected from over a thousand who had covid-19 in the first wave - not even asymptomatically)

Also the fact that the coronavirus sars-covid-1 gives immunity for at least 17 years means it is probable, but not proven, that surviving covid, or being vaccinated will provide immunity for the long-term rather than the need for a yearly covid vaccine as is necessary with flu.

There was no comment made about mutations.

(thank you J2Blue, for pointing me in the direction of the expert who alerted me to this)
[Post edited 5 Jan 2021 19:00]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Covid good news (long-term) on 18:58 - Jan 5 with 1291 viewsJ2BLUE

Yea that was a good video. Sounds like his update today will be less positive.

I can't take credit for discovering Dr Campbell, that was another TWTDer. Think maybe it was Stenvict? Apologies if I have that wrong.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Covid good news (long-term) on 19:02 - Jan 5 with 1273 viewsStokieBlue

That sounds excellent, do you have a link to the actual study by any chance?

A few things:

- We know that people can get it more than once but good to confirm its a very rare event.

- Does the study cover how they extrapolate immunity duration from SARS to C19? I ask as I've not seen many experts who are confident of that kind of long term immunity. The spike proteins are different in SARS and C19, hence why is so good at infecting people and we know that protein is already rapidly mutating. SARS didn't have the numbers to develop these mutations but C19 does.

Certainly nice to get some good news though.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Covid good news (long-term) on 19:04 - Jan 5 with 1258 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yay, I can start licking door handles and pensioners again!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Covid good news (long-term) on 19:09 - Jan 5 with 1234 viewsTrequartista

Covid good news (long-term) on 19:02 - Jan 5 by StokieBlue

That sounds excellent, do you have a link to the actual study by any chance?

A few things:

- We know that people can get it more than once but good to confirm its a very rare event.

- Does the study cover how they extrapolate immunity duration from SARS to C19? I ask as I've not seen many experts who are confident of that kind of long term immunity. The spike proteins are different in SARS and C19, hence why is so good at infecting people and we know that protein is already rapidly mutating. SARS didn't have the numbers to develop these mutations but C19 does.

Certainly nice to get some good news though.

SB

youtube video of Dr Campbell's interpretation...

study source

https://www.journalofinfection.com/article/S0163-4453(20)30781-7/fulltext

Covid good news (long-term) on 19:13 - Jan 5 with 1220 viewsDanTheMan

I've seen this video but whilst it seems good on the surface, I don't quite understand how he came to the conclusion he did from the paper, and I don't think the study conclusively proves anything if I'm reading it correctly.

Literally on the first page of the linked paper it says:
Whether SARS-CoV-2 infection confers immunity to reinfection is uncertain

For a study to show this I imagine you would need someone who has proven to have been infected originally to voluntarily be re-infected, which obviously they aren't going to do. What they do show suggests that among health workers they are unlikely to be reinfected.

Of course this is welcome news but please take these channels with a pinch of salt.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Covid good news (long-term) on 19:17 - Jan 5 with 1199 viewsJ2BLUE

Covid good news (long-term) on 19:13 - Jan 5 by DanTheMan

I've seen this video but whilst it seems good on the surface, I don't quite understand how he came to the conclusion he did from the paper, and I don't think the study conclusively proves anything if I'm reading it correctly.

For a study to show this I imagine you would need someone who has proven to have been infected originally to voluntarily be re-infected, which obviously they aren't going to do. What they do show suggests that among health workers they are unlikely to be reinfected.

Of course this is welcome news but please take these channels with a pinch of salt.

He's kept me sane during the last 3-4 months. He's a retired nurse, a nursing teacher and has written text books. He just gets the info he can get from each study. I don't think he's said it's guaranteed that everyone is protected for a minimum of six months but he is confident based on that study and his previous predictions based on SARS 1.

I think it's extremely unfair to lump him in with random Youtube channels.

Truly impaired.

Covid good news (long-term) on 19:20 - Jan 5 with 1173 viewsDanTheMan

Covid good news (long-term) on 19:17 - Jan 5 by J2BLUE

He's kept me sane during the last 3-4 months. He's a retired nurse, a nursing teacher and has written text books. He just gets the info he can get from each study. I don't think he's said it's guaranteed that everyone is protected for a minimum of six months but he is confident based on that study and his previous predictions based on SARS 1.

I'm glad he's helped you keep sane, truly. I've not seen his other videos so I can't comment but there are quite a number of these Covid YouTube accounts that pop in and out of favour and honestly I prefer to steer clear of them and just focus "mainstream" sources for this kind of thing unless it's someone who was doing this kind of thing pre-Covid.

I have read the study and all I'm saying is that I don't see how he came to that conclusion given what was written, hence why I said to take it with a pinch of salt.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2021 19:20]

Covid good news (long-term) on 19:22 - Jan 5 with 1141 viewsJ2BLUE

Covid good news (long-term) on 19:20 - Jan 5 by DanTheMan

I'm glad he's helped you keep sane, truly. I've not seen his other videos so I can't comment but there are quite a number of these Covid YouTube accounts that pop in and out of favour and honestly I prefer to steer clear of them and just focus "mainstream" sources for this kind of thing unless it's someone who was doing this kind of thing pre-Covid.

I have read the study and all I'm saying is that I don't see how he came to that conclusion given what was written, hence why I said to take it with a pinch of salt.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2021 19:20]

I don't think he's said it's proven just that it's more evidence to support his prediction. I think the OP is slightly (not deliberately) misrepresenting him. He goes to great lengths to point out what we can say for sure and what is just supporting evidence but not proof.

Truly impaired.

Login to get fewer ads

Covid good news (long-term) on 19:29 - Jan 5 with 1104 viewsDanTheMan

Covid good news (long-term) on 19:22 - Jan 5 by J2BLUE

I don't think he's said it's proven just that it's more evidence to support his prediction. I think the OP is slightly (not deliberately) misrepresenting him. He goes to great lengths to point out what we can say for sure and what is just supporting evidence but not proof.

Fair enough, I wasn't trying to come in and be negative about it, just want to make sure people are actually reading these studies themselves so they get the full picture (as he recommends).

Hopefully we'll see more evidence to back this up.

Covid good news (long-term) on 19:38 - Jan 5 with 1058 viewsJ2BLUE

Covid good news (long-term) on 19:29 - Jan 5 by DanTheMan

Fair enough, I wasn't trying to come in and be negative about it, just want to make sure people are actually reading these studies themselves so they get the full picture (as he recommends).

Hopefully we'll see more evidence to back this up.

Always good to be cautious of sources you aren't familiar with

Truly impaired.

Covid good news (long-term) on 22:35 - Jan 5 with 884 viewsSuffolkPOSH

Covid good news (long-term) on 19:17 - Jan 5 by J2BLUE

I've been watching Dr Campbell's daily videos for the last 10 months, since mid March, & of all the various sources discussing COVID-19 I have found him the most objective source of information with him presentating third party research, comparing various sources of data & always providing links & encouraging people to check the data & do their own research.

I have found his videos insightful, informative & they have assisted me to make informed decisions rather than listening to sensetional mainstream media or depending on the guideance of our reactive rather than proactive government. I understand you need to be wary re: the sources of information you listen to & I'm always cautious especially of people just creating videos for click bait & views but Dr Campbell is extremely balanced & someone I have faith in.

Re: the longevity of immunity I'm sure he stated that we can only hope that it longterm as SARS 1 is the most similar virus that we can use for guidence. This is a calculated assumption which scientists frequently use in research & development but obviously some people will always find it an easy reason to criticise.
Covid good news (long-term) on 22:45 - Jan 5 with 853 viewsTrequartista

Covid good news (long-term) on 19:13 - Jan 5 by DanTheMan

i think in the video Dr Campbell regards the line "Whether SARS-CoV-2 infection confers immunity to reinfection is uncertain" as the question that the study seeks to answer as opposed to the conclusion of the study.

No-one is voluntarily infected when vaccine trials calculate their efficacy, so i see the data in this study as being just as reliable as those.

On Dr Campbell himself, from what i've seen he's no Prof Sikora in being over-optimistic about everything, but I absolutely take your point about always having a sceptical eye. For example, my comment about mutations was me wondering why he hadn't considered this.

Covid good news (long-term) on 23:01 - Jan 5 with 824 viewsSuffolkPOSH

Dr Campbell has discussed on numerous occasions the subject of mutations & the potential implications. He has also previously questioned the longevity of any potential immunity & in the early days he frequently suggested that any vaccine may have to be taken on a regular basis with him suggesting it could be as frequent as every 6 months but more likely yearly like the flu. I guess the more information/data we get the more informed decisions can be.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024