Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Key workers 12:33 - Jan 6 with 4342 viewsBluefish

How many should there be in a supposed full lockdown? Just been for my school visit and we have 30% of the school attending stating they are keyworker parents.

The teachers are running on fumes 3 days into the start of a term. The shambolic government have no idea what they are doing to these people

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Key workers on 12:37 - Jan 6 with 3081 viewsStokieBlue

Our school requires documented proof that the parent is considered a key worker before the child is allowed to attend.

Doesn't seem likely that 30% are actually key workers unless the demographics of your area dictate that (ie. you are right next to a large hospital or something).

How are you assigning blame to the government? Is it because the definition of key worker is too loose? Should some ire be directed at the parents if they are taking advantage of the situation?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Key workers on 12:39 - Jan 6 with 3068 viewsBluefish

Key workers on 12:37 - Jan 6 by StokieBlue

Our school requires documented proof that the parent is considered a key worker before the child is allowed to attend.

Doesn't seem likely that 30% are actually key workers unless the demographics of your area dictate that (ie. you are right next to a large hospital or something).

How are you assigning blame to the government? Is it because the definition of key worker is too loose? Should some ire be directed at the parents if they are taking advantage of the situation?

SB

The vast majority are employed by RR

The government issue was around sending teachers back for 1 day and then ripping it all up with no notice period at all. It has left them spinning

Key workers on 12:39 - Jan 6 with 3061 viewsFixed_It

Exactly. Staff trying to educate those in school as well as those at home - doubling the workload (and stress) despite what some members of the public and media would have you believe. I fully agree with Key Worker (and vulnerable) kids being allowed in school - but clearly some parents are taking liberties which somewhat defeats the object of the exercise.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Key workers on 12:41 - Jan 6 with 3047 viewsStokieBlue

Key workers on 12:39 - Jan 6 by Bluefish

The government issue was around sending teachers back for 1 day and then ripping it all up with no notice period at all. It has left them spinning

I'm not sure how RR workers qualify as key workers but I guess production line staff might do? I am not sure of the rules on what applies (assuming there are any).

Fair point on the government. Everything was closed here so the kids didn't go back and our school had an inset day on the Monday as well. It's been very poorly handled and must be awful for the teachers.

The home schooling from the school is hugely improved from March though, it's really pretty good, updated daily with lots of videos from the teachers and a daily Google call. Still needs top-ups but it's a mile away from the previous lockdown.

SB
[Post edited 6 Jan 2021 12:42]

Key workers on 12:41 - Jan 6 with 3038 viewsm14_blue

Key workers on 12:39 - Jan 6 by Bluefish

Yep, absolutely criminal and impossible to overstate the impact on teachers.
Key workers on 12:43 - Jan 6 with 3029 viewsmo_itfc

My other half's school has 15% key worker attendance.

Several of them have ridiculous claims to being a key worker, but the guidelines aren't that clear really.

One is a dog walker for NHS staff...

I certainly blame the parents here more than the gov... but it would be nice if the gov gave clear concise guidelines.

Poll: Now that The Athletic has an article, is this takeover actually happening?

Key workers on 12:48 - Jan 6 with 2992 viewsFixed_It

Key workers on 12:43 - Jan 6 by mo_itfc

My other half's school has 15% key worker attendance.

Several of them have ridiculous claims to being a key worker, but the guidelines aren't that clear really.

One is a dog walker for NHS staff...

I certainly blame the parents here more than the gov... but it would be nice if the gov gave clear concise guidelines.

30% at my other half's place. Luckily, their Academy Trust pre-empted Boris' latest U-turn and closed all their Primary Schools for the week on Sunday and Monday was a Training Day so they were able to put plans in place. Which, of course is something Boris should have done last week (at least).
[Post edited 6 Jan 2021 13:44]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Key workers on 12:53 - Jan 6 with 2961 viewsBluefish

Key workers on 12:41 - Jan 6 by StokieBlue

I'm not sure how RR workers qualify as key workers but I guess production line staff might do? I am not sure of the rules on what applies (assuming there are any).

Fair point on the government. Everything was closed here so the kids didn't go back and our school had an inset day on the Monday as well. It's been very poorly handled and must be awful for the teachers.

The home schooling from the school is hugely improved from March though, it's really pretty good, updated daily with lots of videos from the teachers and a daily Google call. Still needs top-ups but it's a mile away from the previous lockdown.

SB
[Post edited 6 Jan 2021 12:42]

Apparently working at home bargains counts as a key worker

My wife's employer issued key worker letters to every single member of staff, she is a HR manager ffs. She permanently works from home

Login to get fewer ads

Key workers on 12:55 - Jan 6 with 2950 viewshomer_123

Key workers on 12:53 - Jan 6 by Bluefish

My wife's employer issued key worker letters to every single member of staff, she is a HR manager ffs. She permanently works from home

Yep - that's def not on and def taking advantage.

But again, this is down to Home Bargains interpreting the guidance.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I hate the general public. (n/t) on 12:57 - Jan 6 with 2946 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Key workers on 13:00 - Jan 6 with 2931 viewsStokieBlue

Key workers on 12:53 - Jan 6 by Bluefish

That's ridiculous.

Why would a parent think it's a good idea to send their child into school now anyway given the situation? Especially if they are already working at home.

Whilst the companies should be doing better here the parents need to have a look at their actions.

SB

Key workers on 13:00 - Jan 6 with 2937 viewsgiant_stow

My mate got a keyworker letter (shes a counsellor) but her kids school would only accept them back with a letter from both parents. Sounds like differetn schools / councils have differetn rules.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Key workers on 13:01 - Jan 6 with 2939 viewstextbackup

was brilliant to hear our CEO on a call yesterday say "just because you work under the umbrella of (company name) don't please think you are a key worker. some will be, others can WFH and wont need to send their children in to school putting pressures on teachers unnecessarily"

a few egos certainly took a battering

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Key workers on 13:06 - Jan 6 with 2897 viewstextbackup

Key workers on 13:00 - Jan 6 by giant_stow

My mate got a keyworker letter (shes a counsellor) but her kids school would only accept them back with a letter from both parents. Sounds like differetn schools / councils have differetn rules.

both should be key workers - madness to even consider anything but that.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Key workers on 13:24 - Jan 6 with 2832 viewsgiant_stow

Key workers on 13:06 - Jan 6 by textbackup

both should be key workers - madness to even consider anything but that.

I see your argument and you're probably right, but they're both working full time, so utterly screwed on childcare now.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Key workers on 13:26 - Jan 6 with 2819 viewsStokieBlue

Key workers on 13:24 - Jan 6 by giant_stow

I see your argument and you're probably right, but they're both working full time, so utterly screwed on childcare now.

Are they working full time from home or at their places of work?

I think this comes down to whether so many places should realistically still be open if they can't WFH and if not then they should have access to the furlough.

SB

Key workers on 13:31 - Jan 6 with 2802 viewsgiant_stow

Key workers on 13:26 - Jan 6 by StokieBlue

Are they working full time from home or at their places of work?

I think this comes down to whether so many places should realistically still be open if they can't WFH and if not then they should have access to the furlough.

SB

Both at home, she works as an employee and him as a director of his own company.

I guess there's nothing to be done about it, but they have 3 high maintainance kids, so tough times for them.

I guess this is just what we all have the deal with though and plenty have it far worse (like the chap having a rant earlier for a start).

Key workers on 13:36 - Jan 6 with 2774 viewsStokieBlue

Key workers on 13:31 - Jan 6 by giant_stow

Both at home, she works as an employee and him as a director of his own company.

I guess there's nothing to be done about it, but they have 3 high maintainance kids, so tough times for them.

I guess this is just what we all have the deal with though and plenty have it far worse (like the chap having a rant earlier for a start).

In which case I don't think they should be allowed to send their kids into school.

There are millions of families in that same boat and it's unfortunate but we just need to muddle through.

I'm sure the schools and teachers would say their aren't there to provide "childcare".

SB

Key workers on 13:39 - Jan 6 with 2755 viewsSwansea_Blue

Key workers on 13:31 - Jan 6 by giant_stow

We have two to keep an eye on. The way I look at it is we're exceedingly lucky to be able to (a) work at all, and (b) work from home and not forced to go out to work. Working a bit later in the evenings or at weekends to catch up from time lost to home schooling is a price well worth paying (not that it protected us from Covid, as the kids brought it home from school). Although the way work has been, being on furlough for a few months does appeal...

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Key workers on 13:45 - Jan 6 with 2718 viewsgiant_stow

Key workers on 13:36 - Jan 6 by StokieBlue

In which case I don't think they should be allowed to send their kids into school.

There are millions of families in that same boat and it's unfortunate but we just need to muddle through.

I'm sure the schools and teachers would say their aren't there to provide "childcare".

SB

I *think* I agree, just uncertain as it'll be her clients who are most likely to lose out as she's the one doing most of the childcare.

How she does online school x3, plus a full time, currently vital job, I don’t know. I guess she’ll spend less prep time on each punter and just wing each session — not ideal for people in need, but as you say, what other choice is there.

Key workers on 13:49 - Jan 6 with 2692 viewsStokieBlue

Key workers on 13:45 - Jan 6 by giant_stow

I *think* I agree, just uncertain as it'll be her clients who are most likely to lose out as she's the one doing most of the childcare.

How she does online school x3, plus a full time, currently vital job, I don’t know. I guess she’ll spend less prep time on each punter and just wing each session — not ideal for people in need, but as you say, what other choice is there.

Loads of people are having to do the same thing though, if that was the definition of a key worker then the schools would be fully open with nearly 100% occupancy.

Why is she the one doing most of the childcare?

It's not ideal but it's the reality of the world at the moment. Perhaps I have a different perspective because my kids are fine with the home schooling and thus perhaps I am being a tad unfair.

SB
[Post edited 6 Jan 2021 13:51]

Key workers on 13:51 - Jan 6 with 2682 viewsandytown

Key workers on 13:36 - Jan 6 by StokieBlue

SB

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-maintaining-educ

Gov page updated on 5 Jan. Seems at least one parent has to be a critical worker to qualify, as well as key being changed to critical
Key workers on 13:55 - Jan 6 with 2664 viewsgiant_stow

Key workers on 13:39 - Jan 6 by Swansea_Blue

We have two to keep an eye on. The way I look at it is we're exceedingly lucky to be able to (a) work at all, and (b) work from home and not forced to go out to work. Working a bit later in the evenings or at weekends to catch up from time lost to home schooling is a price well worth paying (not that it protected us from Covid, as the kids brought it home from school). Although the way work has been, being on furlough for a few months does appeal...

You're absolutely right about counting our blessings - I think I'm allowed to have a whine on her behalf though, even if she would of course count herself lucky.

Sorry to hear you and yours caught it - hope it wasn't too bad.

Key workers on 13:55 - Jan 6 with 2661 viewsitfcjoe

Key workers on 13:49 - Jan 6 by StokieBlue

Loads of people are having to do the same thing though, if that was the definition of a key worker then the schools would be fully open with nearly 100% occupancy.

Why is she the one doing most of the childcare?

It's not ideal but it's the reality of the world at the moment. Perhaps I have a different perspective because my kids are fine with the home schooling and thus perhaps I am being a tad unfair.

SB
[Post edited 6 Jan 2021 13:51]

I think age of kids is a key consideration - we are ok as nurseries open and wife's work is flexible, but with children who are young primary school kids you can't just leave them for 40 minutes or so to get on with anything.

I have a 4 and a 2 year old, it's constant supervision required and working from is literally impossible for us both to do at the same time, when we have had to do it at times it's quite literally one goes in the office whilst the other goes out to take over

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Key workers on 13:56 - Jan 6 with 2662 viewsgordon

Been told that anyone who is employed by a university is a 'key worker' - seems a bit odd and pretty sure this is different to the first lockdown.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2021 13:56]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024