Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Readers of TWTD 14:23 - Jan 6 with 1285 viewsSpruceMoose

Get any decent books for Chrimbo?

Having just been on somewhat of a Roger Deakin and Robert Macfarlane binge over the holidays, my appetite has been whetted for some more local musings to reduce the old heimweh a little.

Does anyone have any recommendations of books about, or taking place in, Suffolk? Non-fiction suggestions in the areas of history or environment would be preferred, but if you think there's something worthy in other fields (or even fiction) feel free to offer it up as a suggestion.

Thank you my lovelies x

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Readers of TWTD on 14:25 - Jan 6 with 1064 viewsBluefish

I got Obama's book, I haven't started it yet though. I am picking the right time because I am scared about becoming obsessive with it due to my massive crush on him

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Readers of TWTD on 14:26 - Jan 6 with 1055 viewsfooters

I haven't read it, but The Rings of Saturn by Sebald is often touted when the topic of Suffolk books comes up.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2015/aug/13/the-rings-of-saturn-by-w

Could be just what you're after, Spruce.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Readers of TWTD on 14:29 - Jan 6 with 1048 viewsbluelagos

I got given a book on Africa and how they have been raped/pillaged by multi-nationals. Took one look at it yesterday and decided it would lower my already sh1t mood, so opted to dig out Bill Bryson's "Walk in the woods" as haven't read it for a few years, and his travel writing always makes me smile.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Readers of TWTD on 14:30 - Jan 6 with 1039 viewsSpruceMoose

Readers of TWTD on 14:26 - Jan 6 by footers

I haven't read it, but The Rings of Saturn by Sebald is often touted when the topic of Suffolk books comes up.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2015/aug/13/the-rings-of-saturn-by-w

I've actually got the nestled on my bookshelf. Forgot it was there and have never started it. Thread closed!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Readers of TWTD on 14:33 - Jan 6 with 1025 viewsSpruceMoose

Readers of TWTD on 14:29 - Jan 6 by bluelagos

I got given a book on Africa and how they have been raped/pillaged by multi-nationals. Took one look at it yesterday and decided it would lower my already sh1t mood, so opted to dig out Bill Bryson's "Walk in the woods" as haven't read it for a few years, and his travel writing always makes me smile.

Walk in the Woods is a lovely read. I'm with you there. BB books are always guaranteed a genuine laugh out loud moment every few pages and are pretty damn comforting.

Readers of TWTD on 14:33 - Jan 6 with 1021 viewsfooters

Readers of TWTD on 14:30 - Jan 6 by SpruceMoose

I've actually got the nestled on my bookshelf. Forgot it was there and have never started it. Thread closed!

So do I get a retrospective personal shopper bonus or what?

Readers of TWTD on 14:35 - Jan 6 with 1007 viewsbluelagos

Readers of TWTD on 14:33 - Jan 6 by SpruceMoose

Walk in the Woods is a lovely read. I'm with you there. BB books are always guaranteed a genuine laugh out loud moment every few pages and are pretty damn comforting.

What I like is that he is genuinely insightful too. As a foreigner, living in the UK, he has a very unique insight into our ways and he has a lovely way of putting it across.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Readers of TWTD on 14:39 - Jan 6 with 997 viewsSpruceMoose

Readers of TWTD on 14:33 - Jan 6 by footers

So do I get a retrospective personal shopper bonus or what?

You get 10 points added to your reading club reward club account. 50,000 points and you get a free bookmark.

Login to get fewer ads

Readers of TWTD on 14:41 - Jan 6 with 998 viewsFixed_It

Readers of TWTD on 14:25 - Jan 6 by Bluefish

I got Obama's book, I haven't started it yet though. I am picking the right time because I am scared about becoming obsessive with it due to my massive crush on him

He is indeed a great man. Did you ever see the programme he did with Bear Grylls? If not, your man crush is about to get out of control...
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3nu1dg

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Readers of TWTD on 14:44 - Jan 6 with 985 viewswkj

I just read Divided Soul: The Life of Marvin Gaye and Black People invented Everything. Decent reads.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Divided-Soul-David-Ritz/dp/030681191X/ref=sr_1_1?dchild

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-People-Invented-Everything-Indigenous/dp/19357211

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Readers of TWTD on 14:45 - Jan 6 with 986 viewsSwansea_Blue

No.

I didn't get anything for Christmas at all . Apart form recovery from covid which was better than any other present I could think of.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Readers of TWTD on 14:47 - Jan 6 with 977 viewsSpruceMoose

Readers of TWTD on 14:41 - Jan 6 by Fixed_It

He is indeed a great man. Did you ever see the programme he did with Bear Grylls? If not, your man crush is about to get out of control...

Don't ever Google that YouTube clip of him singing Al Green if you want your undercrackers to stay dry.

Readers of TWTD on 14:47 - Jan 6 with 976 viewsBluefish

Readers of TWTD on 14:41 - Jan 6 by Fixed_It

No i haven't. Thank you

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Readers of TWTD on 14:48 - Jan 6 with 973 viewsSpruceMoose

Readers of TWTD on 14:45 - Jan 6 by Swansea_Blue

No.

I didn't get anything for Christmas at all . Apart form recovery from covid which was better than any other present I could think of.

Cripes! Hope you're doing well old bean.

Readers of TWTD on 14:49 - Jan 6 with 968 viewsfooters

No.

Man alive! Can we all have a whip round for Swanners? This is unacceptable.

Readers of TWTD on 14:50 - Jan 6 with 959 viewsSpruceMoose

Readers of TWTD on 14:49 - Jan 6 by footers

Haven't you got any of that 'charity' money left over?

Readers of TWTD on 14:50 - Jan 6 with 960 viewsSteve_M

Readers of TWTD on 14:26 - Jan 6 by footers

I'll second this one.

The only other books I can think of that are set in Suffolk are children's fiction:

- 101 Dalmatians, the dogs end up in Suffolk to rescue the puppies (sorry for spoilers).
- Arthur Ransome's We Didn't Mean to go to Sea starts off from Pin Mill.

Actually, if Spruce is starting from Macfarlane then Rachel Lichtenstein's Estuary might be worth a shout. Doesn't get quite far enough up the coast but it's in a similar vein of geography and culture:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/oct/20/estuary-out-from-london-to-the-sea
[Post edited 6 Jan 2021 15:20]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Readers of TWTD on 14:53 - Jan 6 with 954 viewsSwansea_Blue

Readers of TWTD on 14:48 - Jan 6 by SpruceMoose

Cripes! Hope you're doing well old bean.

To quote Lee O'Neil "Lambo, why the feck do you keep changing our defence".

Oh no, sorry. Not that quote, this one "I'm Feeling Better Than I Did But It's Not Been Nice".

Pre-christmas was pretty grim here (we all had it), but the last week or so things have been looking up. Walking up the stairs still makes me puff though. The Mrs got off relatively lightly and the kids had no symptoms, the lucky beggars.

Keep safe everyone, it's really not a very pleasant disease.

Readers of TWTD on 14:53 - Jan 6 with 947 viewsSwansea_Blue

Readers of TWTD on 14:49 - Jan 6 by footers

I think Keno's got some spare whips lying around in his dungeon.

Readers of TWTD on 15:02 - Jan 6 with 928 viewsFixed_It

Readers of TWTD on 14:47 - Jan 6 by Bluefish

No i haven't. Thank you

You're welcome. Enjoy.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Readers of TWTD on 15:02 - Jan 6 with 928 viewsSpruceMoose

Readers of TWTD on 14:50 - Jan 6 by Steve_M

I'll second this one.

The only other books I can think of that are set in Suffolk are children's fiction:

- 101 Dalmatians, the dogs end up in Suffolk to rescue the puppies (sorry for spoilers).
- Arthur Ransome's We Didn't Mean to go to Sea starts off from Pin Mill.

Actually, if Spruce is starting from Macfarlane then Rachel Lichtenstein's Estuary might be worth a shout. Doesn't get quite far enough up the coast but it's in a similar vein of geography and culture:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/oct/20/estuary-out-from-london-to-the-sea
[Post edited 6 Jan 2021 15:20]

Thanks Steve. I'll check that out. I'm not too familiar with many Suffolk based books either to be honest.

Although, while I was browsing the shelves I just found an old copy of Akenfield by Ronald Blyth I've never read. I might give that a flick though later.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2021 15:03]

Readers of TWTD on 15:05 - Jan 6 with 921 viewsfactual_blue

No.

This seems appropriate then

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Readers of TWTD on 15:26 - Jan 6 with 869 viewsDebsyAngel

Got the Gary Numan (R)Evolution, the Bananarama book and Me by Elton John. No idea when I will get to read them though!
Readers of TWTD on 16:18 - Jan 6 with 816 viewsfactual_blue

Readers of TWTD on 14:53 - Jan 6 by Swansea_Blue

I think Keno's got some spare whips lying around in his dungeon.

I don't think any of them are spare...

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Readers of TWTD on 16:20 - Jan 6 with 816 viewsBlueBadger

Had Amazon vouchers fro Christmas and took the plunge on Jeff SMith's 'Bone'. It is every bit as delightful as my comic reading chums told me.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024