Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school 11:35 - Jan 7 with 945 viewshomer_123

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-55565537

Now, I can understand some elements of this but this is going to be very open to abuse isn't it?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school on 11:39 - Jan 7 with 928 viewsStokieBlue

I don't understand why parents would want to abuse it though? Why risk bringing the B117 variant into your home if you don't have to?

The laptops thing is strange. The school has iPads for all students in years 4, 5 and 6 and are getting them for year 3. However they don't ask who actually needs them so I would think that in reality the school already has enough for everyone who actually needs one. Instead they blanket give them to everyone in the year.

It doesn't seem very efficient.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school on 11:44 - Jan 7 with 898 viewshomer_123

So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school on 11:39 - Jan 7 by StokieBlue

I don't understand why parents would want to abuse it though? Why risk bringing the B117 variant into your home if you don't have to?

The laptops thing is strange. The school has iPads for all students in years 4, 5 and 6 and are getting them for year 3. However they don't ask who actually needs them so I would think that in reality the school already has enough for everyone who actually needs one. Instead they blanket give them to everyone in the year.

It doesn't seem very efficient.

SB

I suspect that some will be happy to put them into school regardless of the risks - certainly a lot of parents where I am were furious schools were closed and I have no doubt they would take advantage of this - regardless of risk.

So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school on 11:47 - Jan 7 with 892 viewsSouperJim

Jesus wept, what a mess. So we had "btw you're testing" on the last day of term. Then "btw lockdown" on the first day of term. Now it's "btw everyone can claim vulnerable" by the end of the first week. I honestly don't think they could balls this up more if they tried.

School staff are scared and at the end of their rope. Nobody wants to come in. People are going off with anxiety left right and center. Testing still isn't in place. No staff to run the testing as everyone is either working from home, or occupied with students who are vulnerable so can't deliver the testing. Others don't want to come in unless they can be tested. And the test is less than 50% accurate anyway?

Honestly it's an utter sh!tshow.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school on 11:47 - Jan 7 with 885 viewsStokieBlue

So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school on 11:44 - Jan 7 by homer_123

I suspect that some will be happy to put them into school regardless of the risks - certainly a lot of parents where I am were furious schools were closed and I have no doubt they would take advantage of this - regardless of risk.

Why were they furious? Did they give reasons?

SB

So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school on 11:53 - Jan 7 with 881 viewshomer_123

So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school on 11:47 - Jan 7 by StokieBlue

SB

Broadly into the following:

1. Simply didn't think they should be closed because the Gov said they weren't going to shut them.
2. Don't believe that their kids will get it or spread it.
3. Logistics (trying to manage work, schooling etc.) and lack of space

That's the order. Oddly, 3 is the genuine and perfectly logical reason for people to want to schools to stay open and should have been the main reason but wasn't.

Also, a number of these parents were still sending their kids (often 30 to 40 mins) away to football training at a Pro Football club as late as Monday this week.......even though schools in the areas had said for kids to not go in Monday due to the threat etc. etc.

So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school on 11:55 - Jan 7 with 861 viewshomer_123

So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school on 11:47 - Jan 7 by SouperJim

Jesus wept, what a mess. So we had "btw you're testing" on the last day of term. Then "btw lockdown" on the first day of term. Now it's "btw everyone can claim vulnerable" by the end of the first week. I honestly don't think they could balls this up more if they tried.

School staff are scared and at the end of their rope. Nobody wants to come in. People are going off with anxiety left right and center. Testing still isn't in place. No staff to run the testing as everyone is either working from home, or occupied with students who are vulnerable so can't deliver the testing. Others don't want to come in unless they can be tested. And the test is less than 50% accurate anyway?

Honestly it's an utter sh!tshow.

It's all over the shop isn't it.

So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school on 11:59 - Jan 7 with 849 viewsFixed_It

So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school on 11:47 - Jan 7 by StokieBlue

SB

Sadly, I think a large number of people see education/schools as little more than free childcare. Take it away and they are up in arms - and not for the reasons they should be - ie. educational progress.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school on 12:00 - Jan 7 with 843 viewsStokieBlue

So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school on 11:53 - Jan 7 by homer_123

1. Simply didn't think they should be closed because the Gov said they weren't going to shut them.

That's the order. Oddly, 3 is the genuine and perfectly logical reason for people to want to schools to stay open and should have been the main reason but wasn't.

Also, a number of these parents were still sending their kids (often 30 to 40 mins) away to football training at a Pro Football club as late as Monday this week.......even though schools in the areas had said for kids to not go in Monday due to the threat etc. etc.

They seem like a bright bunch.

As you say, 3 is the only really valid reason from that list and for it to be last is quite astonishing.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school on 12:05 - Jan 7 with 834 viewshomer_123

So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school on 12:00 - Jan 7 by StokieBlue

They seem like a bright bunch.

As you say, 3 is the only really valid reason from that list and for it to be last is quite astonishing.

SB

To be perfectly honest, we are having to re-evaluate some of our 'friendships' over how people are reacting to this this.

From a parents perspective, we are ending up having to really think about who our kids spend time with after this - as you can begin to see how people evaluate risk and if they react to Covid in this odd way - how would they act in other situations?

So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school on 12:48 - Jan 7 with 789 viewsDinDjarin

So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school on 12:05 - Jan 7 by homer_123

To be perfectly honest, we are having to re-evaluate some of our 'friendships' over how people are reacting to this this.

From a parents perspective, we are ending up having to really think about who our kids spend time with after this - as you can begin to see how people evaluate risk and if they react to Covid in this odd way - how would they act in other situations?

They could be thinking the same thing.
So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school on 14:26 - Jan 7 with 725 viewstractorboy1978

So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school on 11:59 - Jan 7 by Fixed_It

Sadly, I think a large number of people see education/schools as little more than free childcare. Take it away and they are up in arms - and not for the reasons they should be - ie. educational progress.

That's definitely true. A friend of mine works at a school and runs quite a few of their after school clubs. Says you get the same parents turning up unapologetically late every time to pick their kids up - sometimes seriously late. The school implemented a fine system which some aren't remotely bothered about because it's still cheaper than sorting other childcare. And obviously they cannot go home for the day until the last child is picked up!
So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school on 14:36 - Jan 7 with 713 viewsmrshallisfit

So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school on 12:48 - Jan 7 by DinDjarin

Doesn't seem to me that thinking is high up on their to do list.
So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school on 14:46 - Jan 7 with 687 viewsStokieBlue

So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school on 11:53 - Jan 7 by homer_123

To disprove point (2) I just got an email saying there has been a positive case of C19 in the school and a number of the kids who are attending have been sent home to isolate.

SB

So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school on 15:15 - Jan 7 with 662 viewsjeera

So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school on 12:48 - Jan 7 by DinDjarin

Not sure how that works.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school on 15:49 - Jan 7 with 630 viewsmikeybloo88

The way these definitions of vulnerable and keyworkers are being abused is totally negating the whole point of closing the schools...it's not protecting kids, parents or teachers. Either tighten up the definitions or schools will start making their own rules to ensure sensible limited numbers, or unions will call them all out.
So, kids without laptops are now classed as vulnerable and can go to school on 15:57 - Jan 7 with 617 viewsRobTheMonk

Madge is a teacher and doesn't sound fun at the moment. The school have been good though and have a pretty clear plan of what they're doing. They had about 30 kids in the other day, up for the 6-10 they had during first lockdown and the number looks to be increasing...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024