Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New car needed 12:41 - Jan 7 with 4176 viewshype313

Torn between going Hybrid (due to limiting charge ports) and full electric (in the hope that more and more will be added)

Anyone else made the leap to full electric, and thoughts?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

New car needed on 12:57 - Jan 7 with 3353 viewsMeadowlark

Not me, but brother-in-law's family have only all electric. Had both cars for over two years now. One for about 5 years.
I have hybrid but would go electric if I could afford it!
I think you have to go for it. All the people that say the infrastructure is not here yet are not speaking from personal experience - obviously.
New car needed on 13:00 - Jan 7 with 3337 viewsReuser_is_God

Why not go self charging hybrid?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

New car needed on 13:01 - Jan 7 with 3338 viewshype313

New car needed on 13:00 - Jan 7 by Reuser_is_God

Looks a real possibility, obviously the cost for full electric is still quite steep, so I might have to opt for something in between.

New car needed on 13:01 - Jan 7 with 3339 viewsStokieBlue

New car needed on 12:57 - Jan 7 by Meadowlark

Not me, but brother-in-law's family have only all electric. Had both cars for over two years now. One for about 5 years.
I have hybrid but would go electric if I could afford it!
I think you have to go for it. All the people that say the infrastructure is not here yet are not speaking from personal experience - obviously.

I think that depends entirely where you live.

If you have a drive then you can get your own charger and away you go. If you live in the middle of a city or in a block of flats then that becomes much more problematic.

All that can be solved but it's not immediately available.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

New car needed on 13:03 - Jan 7 with 3330 viewsBasuco

I haven't gone electric myself but a mate's neighbour had an electric car on demo for a few days and found quite a few charging points not working, my neighbour has had an electric car for a year or two and said never again, not being able to rely on finding a charge point the main reason. That is with an affordable small EV. If your budget stretches to a Tesla, my boss has one and has looked at getting out of the lease agreement and get rid of it as soon as possible. He gets around 250 miles per charge in real time motoring for around £30 of electric. But to top up you do need a Tesla fast charger. I know these are not first hand reports but are from reliable reasonable people and not pure petrol heads.

I think electric cars are just a stop gap until hydrogen cars are developed and more hydrogen pumps are available, as battery technology does not appear to be making any progress at all, I am not sure if the battery charge drops off as the car gets older.
New car needed on 13:03 - Jan 7 with 3331 viewsJakeITFC

Go full electric if you can and are worried about the environmental impact of your driving.

The batteries are getting bigger/better in the EVs, the infrastructure is improving every day, there are better options for home charging, workplaces are starting to cotton on and install chargepoints and (depending on what you do for work or what happens post-Covid) I imagine that's where you'll have your car >90% of the time anyway.

I find driving an electric car quite a fun challenge with limited places to charge now anyway - it definitely stops me just hammering down the dual carriageway which has to be a good thing.
New car needed on 13:04 - Jan 7 with 3324 viewsIpswichKnight

This is interesting as we are probably going to go for Hybrid in a few months. We’re not quite confident enough around the range of electric vehicles ( Surrey to Ipswich and back seems to be just on the limit of most electric cars at the moment) and the supply of charge points. I’m pretty certain our car after this will be fully electric though as the points that are stopping us now will have been cleared in another 2-5 years!
New car needed on 13:06 - Jan 7 with 3312 viewsipswich78

Not sure if that's a joke... the marketing around these types of vehicles is hugely deceptive.

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

Login to get fewer ads

New car needed on 13:07 - Jan 7 with 3313 viewsCoco

We will be needing a new finance drain too soon. What’s your preferred method of financing or are you a cash buyer?

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

New car needed on 13:07 - Jan 7 with 3308 viewsblue62

I had the hybrid Golf GTE that was a really nice car, but only 17 ish miles on a charge.

Really fancy the new VW ID 3 which is full electric, but new company cars have taken a back seat with the virus.
New car needed on 13:08 - Jan 7 with 3290 viewsBluefish

As I've said before I work in this field. Happy to help where I can but my advice would be full EV. Depending on family size to which one but lots of options now across the budgets.

How soon do you need it?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

New car needed on 13:10 - Jan 7 with 3283 viewsCoco

New car needed on 13:08 - Jan 7 by Bluefish

As I've said before I work in this field. Happy to help where I can but my advice would be full EV. Depending on family size to which one but lots of options now across the budgets.

How soon do you need it?

They’re still unreasonably expensive though aren’t they?

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

New car needed on 13:11 - Jan 7 with 3267 viewsBluefish

New car needed on 13:10 - Jan 7 by Coco

They’re still unreasonably expensive though aren’t they?

Not necessarily. You need to view on a tco basis

New car needed on 13:13 - Jan 7 with 3274 viewsipswich78

In my personal opinion any two car house could pretty go have one EV without any fears whatsoever. The average commute in the UK is something like 30 miles.

If you have the capability to charge from home and can easily do your commute on a full charge i'd say go for it. When looking at costs review the total cost of ownership i.e. tax, running costs etc.

Generally the upfront costs of an EV are higher but running costs are so much lower - less maintenance, much cheaper on fuel etc. I currently have a PHEV but will be looking at a full EV when the time to change comes.

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

New car needed on 13:14 - Jan 7 with 3268 viewsPendejo

All hybrids are at least partially self charging.

Have a look on auto trader at pre-plug-in hybrids, there is no electric charging port, so how is the electricity generated?
Ok hybrids have more / bigger batteries, but these still need charging. My (limited) understanding is that it's mainly old school alternator like normal cars and regenerative charging that comes when one applies the brakes. These cars have a feature on the dash so you can see when it happens, but of a distraction but fascinating.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

New car needed on 13:14 - Jan 7 with 3267 viewsCoco

New car needed on 13:11 - Jan 7 by Bluefish

I thought that’s where they fell down. I am coming from a position of total ignorance
but i thought any fuel savings etc where lost in the extortionate purchase prices.

New car needed on 13:19 - Jan 7 with 3250 viewsBasuco

New car needed on 13:11 - Jan 7 by Bluefish

Are the batteries bought as part of the car or leased as an extra cost?
New car needed on 13:26 - Jan 7 with 3202 viewsPendejo

A few years ago I looked at Vauxhall Ampera which is full electric with range extending engine, the wife rejected it as only had 4 seats not 5.
As I understand it the conventional engine charges the batteries and doesn't drive the wheels.

Until March 2020 that would have been fine as we had car charging ports at work. However where I live the nearest charging point is 1/2 mile away up a steepish hill.

Next car will probably be hybrid even though insurance cost appears to be twice that for petrol / diesel equivalents

uberima fides

New car needed on 13:30 - Jan 7 with 3176 viewshype313

New car needed on 13:26 - Jan 7 by Pendejo

A few years ago I looked at Vauxhall Ampera which is full electric with range extending engine, the wife rejected it as only had 4 seats not 5.
As I understand it the conventional engine charges the batteries and doesn't drive the wheels.

Until March 2020 that would have been fine as we had car charging ports at work. However where I live the nearest charging point is 1/2 mile away up a steepish hill.

Next car will probably be hybrid even though insurance cost appears to be twice that for petrol / diesel equivalents

It's such a minefield, as much as I want to move away from fossil fueled cars, they don't make it easy, either by cost or convenience.

New car needed on 13:34 - Jan 7 with 3172 viewsbluefunk

I ran a hybrid, 30 or so miles electric only in a full charge, but on a long run, I could seldom find a charger to top up the electric (it didn’t self charge) because they were always either full or not working, or I didn’t really have the time to wait 2 hours for a full charge. I know they are getting better at range and the charging network but I would wait a year or 2 before I went full electric
New car needed on 13:42 - Jan 7 with 3152 viewsBasuco

New car needed on 13:30 - Jan 7 by hype313

It's such a minefield, as much as I want to move away from fossil fueled cars, they don't make it easy, either by cost or convenience.

My diesel car has 700 mile range, cost's around £55 to fill up and takes 2 - 3 minutes to fill up, when you add the eco footprint of battery manufacture and disposal to the total eco cost, the actual "green" element is questionable. The sheer weight of the batteries impacts range significantly, but the instant torque of an EV is fantastic, 0 - 60 in 3 seconds in a Tesla is great fun.
New car needed on 13:42 - Jan 7 with 3143 viewsBluefish

New car needed on 13:19 - Jan 7 by Basuco

Are the batteries bought as part of the car or leased as an extra cost?

Some manufacturers kept it separate and then gave the option of both but all are part of the car nowadays

New car needed on 13:44 - Jan 7 with 3139 viewsBluefish

New car needed on 13:34 - Jan 7 by bluefunk

I ran a hybrid, 30 or so miles electric only in a full charge, but on a long run, I could seldom find a charger to top up the electric (it didn’t self charge) because they were always either full or not working, or I didn’t really have the time to wait 2 hours for a full charge. I know they are getting better at range and the charging network but I would wait a year or 2 before I went full electric

I just don't understand why. Charge at home and pick one with a 200 mile plus range

New car needed on 14:06 - Jan 7 with 3101 viewsPendejo

New car needed on 13:44 - Jan 7 by Bluefish

I just don't understand why. Charge at home and pick one with a 200 mile plus range

Notional and real world range is very different.

Thru work I was lucky enough to drive a wide range of vehicles from a 160,000 mile Toyota Previa to a £168,000 Range Rover, and in between fully electric Audi E-from and Mercedes V Class. Neither of the EV met their notional ranges, but fast chargers and access to them (in Central London) was improving.

Could never understand why the guy in charge of the EVs insisted on giving two of them to guys who lived 30 miles into Kent.

Sadly I just missed out on trying the 7 series PHEV

uberima fides

New car needed on 14:10 - Jan 7 with 3085 viewsBasuco

New car needed on 13:30 - Jan 7 by hype313

Also, figures that may put people off, just looked at a 2020 Nissan Leaf, manufacturer figures quote 168 mile range on a full charge, 21 hours to fully charge, 7.5 hours on a quick charge. How realistic the 168 mile range is in real time motoring, like today when you would need the heater on is not clear, but charge times are not good. As previously stated as a second local run about that would be fine, but as a main car that is not at all practical.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024