Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Day The Treble Died - this year marks the 40th anniversary of the FA Cup 12:10 - Jan 8 with 1495 viewsBluedandy

semi-final defeat to Manchester City. Drove up to Villa Park with my father through the pouring rain fully expecting to sweep them aside like we had WBA three years before.

Paul Power's extra time free-kick haunts me still. That volcanic eruption of joy in one half of the Holte End when the ball flew past Cooper, the other half a vast army of Town fans stunned into motionless silence.

It was spectacular visual theatre from where we sat, but God it felt awful. Just about bearable to watch again. I suspect Spurs would have beaten us in the final but in those days losing a semi was so much worse.

The Day The Treble Died - this year marks the 40th anniversary of the FA Cup on 12:14 - Jan 8 with 1467 viewsFtnfwest

to have that and the middlesborough game relatively close together and both equally as devastating was a particular low. Of course we're talking in entirely relative terms compared to most of the last 40 years!
The Day The Treble Died - this year marks the 40th anniversary of the FA Cup on 12:15 - Jan 8 with 1465 viewsPendejo

The Day The Treble Died - this year marks the 40th anniversary of the FA Cup on 12:14 - Jan 8 by Ftnfwest

to have that and the middlesborough game relatively close together and both equally as devastating was a particular low. Of course we're talking in entirely relative terms compared to most of the last 40 years!

Juxtaposed with beating Villa 3 times that season

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

The Day The Treble Died - this year marks the 40th anniversary of the FA Cup on 12:20 - Jan 8 with 1447 viewsFtnfwest

The Day The Treble Died - this year marks the 40th anniversary of the FA Cup on 12:15 - Jan 8 by Pendejo

Juxtaposed with beating Villa 3 times that season

ultimate proof that the best team doesn't always win the league. The best squad probably does, but they hardly used that either - 14 players the whole season i think it was. Plus our players effectively played 22 games more than them, so another half a season!
The Day The Treble Died - this year marks the 40th anniversary of the FA Cup on 13:06 - Jan 8 with 1389 viewsOsborneOneNil

I'd not long been to my first ever match, beat Spurs 3-0 at Portman Road, March 14th. I was 7.

I listened to the FA Cup Semi on the radio, wept like a baby when we lost that in extra time. My Mum made me a coke float to try and cheer me up. She still mentions the 'coke float' after a Town defeat.
The Day The Treble Died - this year marks the 40th anniversary of the FA Cup on 13:13 - Jan 8 with 1379 viewsbluelagos

Was it deflected? Seems to have a bit of a funny loop.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

The Day The Treble Died - this year marks the 40th anniversary of the FA Cup on 13:26 - Jan 8 with 1364 viewsOsborneOneNil

The Day The Treble Died - this year marks the 40th anniversary of the FA Cup on 13:13 - Jan 8 by bluelagos

Was it deflected? Seems to have a bit of a funny loop.

Just a pure strike, I think.
The Day The Treble Died - this year marks the 40th anniversary of the FA Cup on 13:35 - Jan 8 with 1343 viewsGlasgowBlue

Worst day of my football supporting life.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The Day The Treble Died - this year marks the 40th anniversary of the FA Cup on 13:36 - Jan 8 with 1344 viewssotd78

I was in the Holte End - we arrived so late we had to stand on the stairway steps that were slightly lower than the terracing - we couldn't get into the actual terraces. So much of the game I could not see the nearest 18 yards of pitch - just top half of the players. Robson picked an unfit Beattie and moved the back four about - I think not a great decision at the time. We were okay on the day but not great and I think when the free kick was given feared the worst - that as it turned out happened.
I also went to Villa for the game we doubled them . And, of course, the UEFA cup final.
As this site says Those Were The Days.
Sadly I was too young to really think they'd never come again.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Login to get fewer ads

The Day The Treble Died - this year marks the 40th anniversary of the FA Cup on 16:25 - Jan 8 with 1294 viewsIllinoisblue

If only Bobby had been 40 years ahead of his time and fielded a weakened side v Villa in the Cup. We probably would have won the league and one of our stars on our shirt might have had more significance

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The Day The Treble Died - this year marks the 40th anniversary of the FA Cup on 18:05 - Jan 8 with 1242 viewsCoastalblue

I was 14 and remember we parked a little way from the ground. I lived in a relatively affluent Essex coastal town and can still remember the shock I felt when I saw a woman squatting in the kerb and a growing puddle running away from her.

I think the match was the most upset I've ever felt at a football game, though as somebody said above at the age I was I never expected it to stop.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

The Day The Treble Died - this year marks the 40th anniversary of the FA Cup on 19:31 - Jan 8 with 1177 viewsBluespeed225

Arrived expectant, but we were not great on the day, Beatties last game, Gates didn’t even know there was extra time until Paul Power told him! Said ‘I’m fcuked, you can have it’. Villa did get their arses kicked when they tried to enter the terrace up Holte stirway. Their ground, fair play. The mental strength to beat Villa a few day s later set us up nicely, then Easter.... only to go and beat Cologne. King Frans didn’t play again until the UEFA cup final, Gates went of after 10 minutes against Arsenal, those boys were running on fumes and I love them. Season peaked against Forest in the cup replay, from then on it was a struggle.
The Day The Treble Died - this year marks the 40th anniversary of the FA Cup on 19:45 - Jan 8 with 1160 viewsbilllm

Gerry gow kicked out dutchmen off the park, job done
The Day The Treble Died - this year marks the 40th anniversary of the FA Cup on 20:57 - Jan 8 with 1108 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Remember it like yesterday...from Brazil missing a sitter in the first few minutes, The Beat getting injured and being the first ever FA Cup semi to have extra time, by which time we were out n our feet.

Poll: On 14th April 2020, will we be

The Day The Treble Died - this year marks the 40th anniversary of the FA Cup on 12:30 - Jan 9 with 919 viewsbalticblue

Went with my Dad. Can still remember the awe I felt as an 11 year old at the sheer size of the Holte End, especially compared to the North Stand. Also remember that Aston had to be the most deprived area I had ever seen, and probably still is!
The Day The Treble Died - this year marks the 40th anniversary of the FA Cup on 12:48 - Jan 9 with 900 viewsRadlett_blue

The Day The Treble Died - this year marks the 40th anniversary of the FA Cup on 13:36 - Jan 8 by sotd78

I was in the Holte End - we arrived so late we had to stand on the stairway steps that were slightly lower than the terracing - we couldn't get into the actual terraces. So much of the game I could not see the nearest 18 yards of pitch - just top half of the players. Robson picked an unfit Beattie and moved the back four about - I think not a great decision at the time. We were okay on the day but not great and I think when the free kick was given feared the worst - that as it turned out happened.
I also went to Villa for the game we doubled them . And, of course, the UEFA cup final.
As this site says Those Were The Days.
Sadly I was too young to really think they'd never come again.

Although we didn't know it at the time, our league form had already begun its sad collapse - 7 defeats in the last 10 games, after losing only 2 of the previous 32. Fatigue & injuries was the problem after playing so many games. We could only gee ourselves up occasionally, such as winning at Villa & for the UEFA Cup semi final & final. At least we won that, but I still felt failing to win the League was my biggest disappointment as a Town fan.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024