Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Key Workers 19:50 - Jan 8 with 1073 viewsFixed_It

My other half works in Primary school where they currently have about 40% of children attending - the numbers have gone up during the week. Apparently working at Macdonald's deems someone to be a key worker these days. Kind of defeats the object of 'closing schools' to prevent the spread of the virus really, doesn't it?!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Key Workers on 20:01 - Jan 8 with 1003 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Does the laptop thing apply to primary kids too?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Key Workers on 20:02 - Jan 8 with 1004 viewsJ2BLUE

If that is true they probably feel they have little choice to the lack of financial support for doing the right thing.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Key Workers on 20:26 - Jan 8 with 950 viewsSitfcB

There’s going to have to be tougher restrictions put in place surely ala the start of the first lockdown.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Key Workers on 20:28 - Jan 8 with 945 viewsAce_High1

Key Workers on 20:02 - Jan 8 by J2BLUE

If that is true they probably feel they have little choice to the lack of financial support for doing the right thing.

Exactly.

What is happening is people are applying the "key worker" term when actually they mean they need to work and therefore need childcare.

Only retail and hospitality have been told to close.

Almost all other industries are working - so if you cannot do you job at home and you have kids what should you do? Stay home = no money (depending on how supportive your employer is) or send your kid to what is (rightly or wrongly) an open school?

Another question for the TWTD illuminati - if as an employer you have staff that have to isolate for 10 days-14 days, would you put them on furlough? Obviously that is not the true intention of the scheme BUT you will have had to cancel work due to Covid so in a very roundabout way not much different to the real intention of the scheme - thoughts?
Key Workers on 20:55 - Jan 8 with 895 viewsStokieBlue

We were discussing this the other day, the abuse of the "key worker" definition is shameful in my opinion.

Someone said that they had a friend who was designated a key worker by her company even though she worked from home the whole pandemic in HR. It's absolutely ridiculous and some people should be ashamed.

Obviously there are key workers but nowhere near 40% I would wager.

SB
[Post edited 8 Jan 2021 20:56]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Key Workers on 21:02 - Jan 8 with 869 viewsjeera

Key Workers on 20:55 - Jan 8 by StokieBlue

We were discussing this the other day, the abuse of the "key worker" definition is shameful in my opinion.

Someone said that they had a friend who was designated a key worker by her company even though she worked from home the whole pandemic in HR. It's absolutely ridiculous and some people should be ashamed.

Obviously there are key workers but nowhere near 40% I would wager.

SB
[Post edited 8 Jan 2021 20:56]

But what pressures are there for people to work by their employers, and what support is in place for those who might want to disagree?

We haven't lived in a society in which the average family can live off one wage for decades so I can fully understand that if the option is to pay the mortgage/rent or not and have somewhere to live...

People's situations are so different it's impossible to always relate to a universal set of rules.

I don't what support is available right now for everyone just to clarify.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Key Workers on 21:02 - Jan 8 with 866 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Key Workers on 21:04 - Jan 8 with 853 viewsjeera

Key Workers on 21:02 - Jan 8 by BryanPlug

It does if you've locked yourself out!

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Key Workers on 21:07 - Jan 8 with 838 viewsJ2BLUE

Key Workers on 21:02 - Jan 8 by BryanPlug

Nah just NHS, firefighters, police, off licence owners and hookers.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Key Workers on 21:25 - Jan 8 with 790 viewsWD19

Key Workers on 20:28 - Jan 8 by Ace_High1

Exactly.

What is happening is people are applying the "key worker" term when actually they mean they need to work and therefore need childcare.

Almost all other industries are working - so if you cannot do you job at home and you have kids what should you do? Stay home = no money (depending on how supportive your employer is) or send your kid to what is (rightly or wrongly) an open school?

Another question for the TWTD illuminati - if as an employer you have staff that have to isolate for 10 days-14 days, would you put them on furlough? Obviously that is not the true intention of the scheme BUT you will have had to cancel work due to Covid so in a very roundabout way not much different to the real intention of the scheme - thoughts?

Any industry can furlough staff who have childcare responsibility.
Key Workers on 21:29 - Jan 8 with 775 viewsitfcjoe

Exactly.

We’ve had the latter situation this week, guy asked for it as his wife is positive so is isolating - didn’t think it’s right to do havent but will try and top up his statutory pay to help out a bit

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Key Workers on 22:58 - Jan 8 with 654 viewsStokieBlue

Key Workers on 21:02 - Jan 8 by jeera

But what pressures are there for people to work by their employers, and what support is in place for those who might want to disagree?

We haven't lived in a society in which the average family can live off one wage for decades so I can fully understand that if the option is to pay the mortgage/rent or not and have somewhere to live...

People's situations are so different it's impossible to always relate to a universal set of rules.

I don't what support is available right now for everyone just to clarify.

Those are fair points and I do understand it can be difficult.

However if you look at it another way, if those jobs weren't key worker jobs in March then why are they suddenly key worker jobs now (a point specifically made by headteachers in the article below). The same furlough support is available as what was available in March (I believe) so something is in the wrong here.

We aren't talking about a small difference here:

"In the March lockdown, 72% of primary schools had fewer than 10% of their pupils attending. This year, only 17% of primaries had below 10% attendance."

This issue is being highlighted by the schools themselves:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/jan/08/primary-schools-still-rammed-w

We simply cannot get the R<1 with the schools still so busy, SAGE were very clear about this so I don't really know where we go from here if the government aren't going to be stricter around what is a key worker.

SB

Edit: It's being discussed on Newsnight. Schools are far busier than March and tube journeys are also a lot higher - more than 1.2m journeys yesterday compared to less than 500k in March. Essentially they are saying the lockdown isn't strict enough and that it should be stricter than March with the new variant and the definition of key worker needs to change but that also the government needs to ensure everyone is financially supported - I think that's all fair.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2021 23:53]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Key Workers on 02:40 - Jan 9 with 562 viewschrismakin

Exactly.

In my last job earlier in the pandemic, we had the issue of child care, my manager let me have 1 week of as parental leave, my wife had 1 week, but my manager said he coudn't approve anymore and if i took any time off it would be deemed unauthorised leave.... Didn't really have much choice but to leave hence me now ending up at the hospice, but was unemployed for 3 months thanks to that previous manager

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024