Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just a small, pedantic point. 19:33 - Jan 9 with 2752 viewshaynes_toe1

Why do our players laugh and smile and joke around with the opposition after a loss?

I know "its only football" and the games over, but I watch other games and when teams lose most of the squad look distraught and the last thing they want to do in the minutes after is laugh and joke with the guys that beat them. Especially when you've lost to a team 23rd in League One, at home.

Just irritates me.
Just a small, pedantic point. on 19:36 - Jan 9 with 2695 viewsPinewoodblue

You get the impression it is just a job they don’t give the impression that performances like that hurt. Marcus Evans is very lucky fans are not admitted.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Just a small, pedantic point. on 19:37 - Jan 9 with 2677 viewsKeaneish

The reality is it’s because it doesn’t hurt them, they don’t care like we do. Anyone coming off a football field after a bad defeat should be gutted. Anything other than this points to a serious lack of relationship and respect for their position, the club, the fans and the game.

There are plenty of players out there, they’re not just at this club. I’ve never understood or related to players like that at any level though.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Just a small, pedantic point. on 19:42 - Jan 9 with 2589 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Just a small, pedantic point. on 19:44 - Jan 9 with 2543 viewsPinewoodblue

Just a small, pedantic point. on 19:37 - Jan 9 by Keaneish

The reality is it’s because it doesn’t hurt them, they don’t care like we do. Anyone coming off a football field after a bad defeat should be gutted. Anything other than this points to a serious lack of relationship and respect for their position, the club, the fans and the game.

There are plenty of players out there, they’re not just at this club. I’ve never understood or related to players like that at any level though.

Learning to live with disappointing performances is part of Lamberts master plan. He is trying his best to be sacked but he can’t even do that properly.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Just a small, pedantic point. on 19:50 - Jan 9 with 2459 viewsVaughan8

Loads of teams players do it, not just ours unfortunately.

It annoys me as well but it seems to be the way now.

Someone should ask Roy Keane about it... haha
Just a small, pedantic point. on 19:56 - Jan 9 with 2398 viewsjayessess

I be surprised if they don't care. Even the most mercenary players are basically flushing their careers down the toilet right now. The youngsters won't get big moves playing badly in a mid-table League 1 team, the older ones will likely never get another contract at this level if they don't step it up. If, for e.g., Huws could play like he did when we signed him he could have another half decade earning £10k a week, at this rate he'll be playing for £500pw next year, if he's lucky. Even if you hated the club you'd care about that.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Just a small, pedantic point. on 19:59 - Jan 9 with 2372 viewsChurchman

I doubt they care too much, playing for a dross club like Ipswich. They are hardly going to be held to account for it. Maybe having a good joke with their betters, possibly about their next move or what they’re paid to amble about now and again makes them feel better? Who knows. Personally I never laughed, smiled or joked with anyone after losing at anything. I was always too annoyed, disappointed and/or embarrassed.
Just a small, pedantic point. on 20:01 - Jan 9 with 2335 viewsjayessess

Just a small, pedantic point. on 19:59 - Jan 9 by Churchman

I doubt they care too much, playing for a dross club like Ipswich. They are hardly going to be held to account for it. Maybe having a good joke with their betters, possibly about their next move or what they’re paid to amble about now and again makes them feel better? Who knows. Personally I never laughed, smiled or joked with anyone after losing at anything. I was always too annoyed, disappointed and/or embarrassed.

What next move? Every player out there is busy destroying their future career right now.

Login to get fewer ads

Just a small, pedantic point. on 20:04 - Jan 9 with 2302 viewsgordon

Norwood and Pitman were having a really good laugh with each other when Downes was booked. I assumed it was about beards.
Just a small, pedantic point. on 20:05 - Jan 9 with 2283 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Just a small, pedantic point. on 19:42 - Jan 9 by Tangledupin_Blue

Gattuso would sort the Town players out. Modern football is a shadow of the game it was even ten years ago.

Who can honestly be ar5ed with this rubbish.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2021 20:07]

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Just a small, pedantic point. on 20:08 - Jan 9 with 2226 viewsKeaneish

Just a small, pedantic point. on 19:56 - Jan 9 by jayessess

I be surprised if they don't care. Even the most mercenary players are basically flushing their careers down the toilet right now. The youngsters won't get big moves playing badly in a mid-table League 1 team, the older ones will likely never get another contract at this level if they don't step it up. If, for e.g., Huws could play like he did when we signed him he could have another half decade earning £10k a week, at this rate he'll be playing for £500pw next year, if he's lucky. Even if you hated the club you'd care about that.

All of the players I ever played with at non-league level who behaved like that came from pro-clubs and thought it was beneath them; were on their way to bigger clubs and didn’t have an affinity with where they were; they were used to losing or had no faith in the management. It’s a mindset which for me, shows there’s either bad apples or there’s rot in the dressing room.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2021 20:18]

Just a small, pedantic point. on 20:11 - Jan 9 with 2184 viewsBluespeed225

Covering their mouths as they walk off, like there’s something to hide.
Just a small, pedantic point. on 20:13 - Jan 9 with 2153 viewsMattinLondon

In my opinion a players reaction to defeat highlights how much effort they put into the match itself. Joking and laughing immediately after simply shows a lacklustre and carefree attitude.

I’m not saying that after a defeat, the players should be down all evening, but professional pride should at least make them feel disappointed when going off. The mental effort put into ninety minutes of professional sport can’t be switched off straight like that.

Or maybe it can and I’m taking rubbish.

Lambert out.
Just a small, pedantic point. on 20:20 - Jan 9 with 2109 viewsjayessess

Just a small, pedantic point. on 20:08 - Jan 9 by Keaneish

All of the players I ever played with at non-league level who behaved like that came from pro-clubs and thought it was beneath them; were on their way to bigger clubs and didn’t have an affinity with where they were; they were used to losing or had no faith in the management. It’s a mindset which for me, shows there’s either bad apples or there’s rot in the dressing room.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2021 20:18]

It can't be that hard to motivate young men who had enough about them to get to league football in the face of enormous odds and for whom a couple of seasons of sustained excellence unlocks so much?

Just a small, pedantic point. on 20:30 - Jan 9 with 2064 viewsKeaneish

Just a small, pedantic point. on 20:20 - Jan 9 by jayessess

It can't be that hard to motivate young men who had enough about them to get to league football in the face of enormous odds and for whom a couple of seasons of sustained excellence unlocks so much?

It’s funny how so many promising going footballers go by the way side because of their attitudes though. I’ve never understood it. It’s such a privilege to squander.

Just a small, pedantic point. on 20:40 - Jan 9 with 1994 viewsChurchman

Just a small, pedantic point. on 20:30 - Jan 9 by Keaneish

It’s funny how so many promising going footballers go by the way side because of their attitudes though. I’ve never understood it. It’s such a privilege to squander.

I guess that talent is one thing, application, dedication and perseverance is quite another. Add in that most footballers have the brains of a rocking horse and there you have it.

Even some players who hang around a bit in the game never learn. Just look at Chopra. Bullard is another. A talented player but instead of making the most of the end of his career, couldn’t wait to pack in the beer and pies and have a laugh. The ultimate of course is Paul Gascoigne. It’s sad.
Just a small, pedantic point. on 21:49 - Jan 9 with 1840 viewstownblue

There's a Woolfenden interview on Facebook and he can barely hide how pissed off he is with the loss.
Just a small, pedantic point. on 22:04 - Jan 9 with 1785 viewsstrikalite

Agree totally, I'd want all my players to hate losing, Robbie Savage recently said he was a horrible person for a few days after a defeat or a bad performance, Keane said how he hated seeing players laughing and joking with the opposition before a game, disrespectful, and I agree.
Just a small, pedantic point. on 22:30 - Jan 9 with 1710 viewseddiespearitt03

I am glad you have bought this up because that is something i have noticed and wondered if anyone else had.

Today.s game could of easily been treated as a MUST WIN game. NO cup competitions so we must treat this as a must win game. Once again we fall short.A devastating defeat which probably signals another year in League One. Ready to drop further some might say.

There is NO ONE to kick ass at this club. A distant club owner and and a big club now a shadow of what it once was. Chambers, the so called heroic captain should be leading the way. But everyone is too busy looking after number one and keeping it all nice and fluffy at this club.

Evans should throw the towel in and find a new owner but he will only go when this club is totally destroyed. Evans has to admit he has failed.
Just a small, pedantic point. on 22:42 - Jan 9 with 1672 viewschrismakin

Just a small, pedantic point. on 19:36 - Jan 9 by Pinewoodblue

You get the impression it is just a job they don’t give the impression that performances like that hurt. Marcus Evans is very lucky fans are not admitted.

Funnily enough Lambert said it was a job and not a hobby. So effectively the players shouldn't care if they win or lose they get paid regardless.

I'd rather the players feel it was a hobby that you want to get happiness from and felt the pain of a loss personally

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Just a small, pedantic point. on 22:57 - Jan 9 with 1620 viewsSteveDt

It’s because they don’t care , they know the owner won’t spend any money on players so they are quite safe .
Just a small, pedantic point. on 23:10 - Jan 9 with 1576 viewsistanblue

Because we have a comfy club culture where there isn't any great pressure on the players to win. They know that a midtable finish is tolerable to those in charge.
Just a small, pedantic point. on 09:12 - Jan 10 with 1376 viewsKeaneish

Just a small, pedantic point. on 21:49 - Jan 9 by townblue

There's a Woolfenden interview on Facebook and he can barely hide how pissed off he is with the loss.

Good and that’s how players should respond. I expect he’s embarrassed as much as anything having been on loan at Swindon when he was a Championship player.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024