Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hunt your own venison.... 09:51 - Jan 10 with 1379 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

.....do it for the trees!
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/10/wild-deer-set-to-wreak-havoc

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Hunt your own venison.... on 10:06 - Jan 10 with 1336 viewsTractorWood

The Guardian really are helping to shed light on the crucial issues.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/fashion/2021/jan/08/men-play-wi

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Hunt your own venison.... on 10:08 - Jan 10 with 1329 viewsStokieBlue

Why can't the venison be sold in butchers and supermarkets instead?

I don't believe it's a rule that it can only be eaten in restaurants.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Hunt your own venison.... on 10:08 - Jan 10 with 1333 viewsjeera

Then drop the sodding price and get more into the supermarkets!

I never get this. Yesterday 's story was about culling chickens whose meat, despite not being suitable for selling whole, is still fine for the processed stuff.

If we're going tho kill them at least let's use them.

Cull suggests waste.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Hunt your own venison.... on 10:28 - Jan 10 with 1309 viewslowhouseblue

Hunt your own venison.... on 10:08 - Jan 10 by StokieBlue

SB

i think it's that lots of people aren't used to cooking it and therefore retail demand is low. many people don't cook what they don't know. here we have some wild meat company game in bigger co-ops - inc venison - but only quite small quantities.

in response to op: definitely eat more venison; definitely don't hunt your own; and definitely don't buy it from unlicensed sources (the animal cruelty involved with poacher gangs is very real).

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Hunt your own venison.... on 10:32 - Jan 10 with 1296 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Hunt your own venison.... on 10:08 - Jan 10 by StokieBlue

SB

Breaking news Stokie....it is.
Now get yourself down to Clissold Park and bag yourself a munty!

Hunt your own venison.... on 10:34 - Jan 10 with 1287 viewsStokieBlue

Hunt your own venison.... on 10:32 - Jan 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

Breaking news Stokie....it is.
Now get yourself down to Clissold Park and bag yourself a munty!

Well I get it from the butcher but you don't see much of it in the supermarket (well in Waitrose but not often in others).

If it's a concern then surely it's the easiest solution.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Hunt your own venison.... on 10:34 - Jan 10 with 1285 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Hunt your own venison.... on 10:08 - Jan 10 by jeera

I never get this. Yesterday 's story was about culling chickens whose meat, despite not being suitable for selling whole, is still fine for the processed stuff.

Cull suggests waste.

I bagged myself some sardines....same time, same place, see you later!

Hunt your own venison.... on 10:39 - Jan 10 with 1272 viewsbluelagos

Hunt your own venison.... on 10:28 - Jan 10 by lowhouseblue

i think it's that lots of people aren't used to cooking it and therefore retail demand is low. many people don't cook what they don't know. here we have some wild meat company game in bigger co-ops - inc venison - but only quite small quantities.

in response to op: definitely eat more venison; definitely don't hunt your own; and definitely don't buy it from unlicensed sources (the animal cruelty involved with poacher gangs is very real).

I got some fish off a bloke from a van rather than the usual supermarket last week.

This morning I decide to have some kippers on toast. Fcker had left the head on them ffs. It's like he's staring at me...

On the plus side I may have found a route to turning us all vegan and saving the planet. If we all had to catch and prepare our meat/fish etc. then wimps like me would be eating a lot more lentils.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Login to get fewer ads

Hunt your own venison.... on 10:41 - Jan 10 with 1268 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Hunt your own venison.... on 10:39 - Jan 10 by bluelagos

I got some fish off a bloke from a van rather than the usual supermarket last week.

This morning I decide to have some kippers on toast. Fcker had left the head on them ffs. It's like he's staring at me...

On the plus side I may have found a route to turning us all vegan and saving the planet. If we all had to catch and prepare our meat/fish etc. then wimps like me would be eating a lot more lentils.

....and bizarrely I would be eating fewer lentils!

Hunt your own venison.... on 10:50 - Jan 10 with 1255 viewsbluelagos

Hunt your own venison.... on 10:41 - Jan 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

....and bizarrely I would be eating fewer lentils!

Genuine story.

Spent 3 months in rural Kenya once, proper rural too, 20 miles away from nearest town. We had no electricity and relied on solar and batteries.

The cook used to give us onion and potato soup every day except the weekend when she gave us potato and onion soup. I ate nothing else for 4 weeks. She sent me to the market to buy that weeks grub, yep onions and potatoes were the main items on her list.

When I get there I see they have live chickens for sale so bought one. They have their feet tied together and you carry them upside down. Got it back and proudly announced we'd be eating chicken, onion and potato soup this week.

Had a stand off with the cook who wanted me to kill it. To my shame I bottled it. Never has a chicken soup tasted so good.

Hunt your own venison.... on 11:00 - Jan 10 with 1239 viewsjeera

Hunt your own venison.... on 10:50 - Jan 10 by bluelagos

Genuine story.

Spent 3 months in rural Kenya once, proper rural too, 20 miles away from nearest town. We had no electricity and relied on solar and batteries.

The cook used to give us onion and potato soup every day except the weekend when she gave us potato and onion soup. I ate nothing else for 4 weeks. She sent me to the market to buy that weeks grub, yep onions and potatoes were the main items on her list.

When I get there I see they have live chickens for sale so bought one. They have their feet tied together and you carry them upside down. Got it back and proudly announced we'd be eating chicken, onion and potato soup this week.

Had a stand off with the cook who wanted me to kill it. To my shame I bottled it. Never has a chicken soup tasted so good.

Food certainly does become more real when it's staring back at you in the eyes.
[Post edited 10 Jan 2021 11:07]

Hunt your own venison.... on 11:11 - Jan 10 with 1228 viewsbluelagos

Hunt your own venison.... on 11:00 - Jan 10 by jeera

Food certainly does become more real when it's staring back at you in the eyes.
[Post edited 10 Jan 2021 11:07]

Some of the most humbling experiences I've had have been when out in the bush proper. When you lack heat, water, food, warmth and need to do something to get them, it is a great way to appreciate how easy we all have it when all said and done.

Maybe why getting back to nature is so good for the soul :-)

Hunt your own venison.... on 11:23 - Jan 10 with 1214 viewsfactual_blue

Hunt your own venison.... on 10:08 - Jan 10 by jeera

Cull suggests waste.

https://www.gtyarmouthwildfowlers.co.uk/recipes/39-roast-butterflied-haunch-of-m

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Hunt your own venison.... on 11:44 - Jan 10 with 1200 viewsjeera

Hunt your own venison.... on 11:11 - Jan 10 by bluelagos

Some of the most humbling experiences I've had have been when out in the bush proper. When you lack heat, water, food, warmth and need to do something to get them, it is a great way to appreciate how easy we all have it when all said and done.

Maybe why getting back to nature is so good for the soul :-)

That's not something I've done but had an unusual experience in India on a camel trip.

I did wonder if it might be a bit too touristy but given where we were I should have known.

A 3 day trek thing in the Thar Desert and there were only 4 of us with 2 guides.

Was given a camel with clear instruction that the thing was my full responsibility for the whole trip. This meant feeding, watering, packing/unpacking, putting down to bed, getting the thing up in the morning...

The camels were the leader's only commodity and his sole income and it was quickly apparent they were more important than we were!

Hunt your own venison.... on 12:10 - Jan 10 with 1186 viewseastangliaisblue

Hunt your own venison.... on 11:44 - Jan 10 by jeera

That's not something I've done but had an unusual experience in India on a camel trip.

I did wonder if it might be a bit too touristy but given where we were I should have known.

A 3 day trek thing in the Thar Desert and there were only 4 of us with 2 guides.

Was given a camel with clear instruction that the thing was my full responsibility for the whole trip. This meant feeding, watering, packing/unpacking, putting down to bed, getting the thing up in the morning...

The camels were the leader's only commodity and his sole income and it was quickly apparent they were more important than we were!

I done a two day trek doing this. Did you sleep under stars? If you did isn't it fantastic?
Hunt your own venison.... on 14:15 - Jan 10 with 1114 viewsGeoffSentence

Nah, release a few lynx and wolves instead.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Hunt your own venison.... on 12:13 - Jan 11 with 1069 viewsjeera

Hunt your own venison.... on 12:10 - Jan 10 by eastangliaisblue

I done a two day trek doing this. Did you sleep under stars? If you did isn't it fantastic?

Yes, on the sand, no cover.

If by fantastic you mean did I wonder quite a lot if something might crawl or even slither too close to me during the night, then absolutely!

Hunt your own venison.... on 12:51 - Jan 11 with 1043 viewseastangliaisblue

Hunt your own venison.... on 12:13 - Jan 11 by jeera

Yes, on the sand, no cover.

If by fantastic you mean did I wonder quite a lot if something might crawl or even slither too close to me during the night, then absolutely!

Haha I felt exactly the same, and it was quite unerving the following morning as there was a snake track nearby to us!
[Post edited 11 Jan 2021 14:48]
Hunt your own venison.... on 14:44 - Jan 11 with 1010 viewsJ2BLUE

Hunt your own venison.... on 10:50 - Jan 10 by bluelagos

Genuine story.

Pass me the lentils.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024