Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just a great statement from SW supporters club... 14:41 - Jan 11 with 1437 viewsunstableblue

Clear on the issues, great insights into the clubs situation, not about Lambert personality.

Bravo.

Most telling line for me: “after many years lacking an identity or style, we desperately need one”

Too right - I do think pressuring Marcus on getting the next managerial appointment right is also really key. He surely can’t mess it up again?

South West Branch Call For Change of Manager 11th Jan 2021 12:28
The South West Branch of the Supporters Club has called for manager Paul Lambert to be replaced. 28

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 14:46 - Jan 11 with 1389 viewsBlueBadger

80% of his managerial appointments have been bad.

And the other one had the gall not to even play Technical Football but focused on actually coaching players and getting results instead.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 14:49 - Jan 11 with 1372 viewstractorboy1978

It's good and all credit to them but sadly irrelevant. Need the full weight of the official supporters club which will never happen.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2021 14:54]
Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 15:00 - Jan 11 with 1345 viewsunstableblue

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 14:46 - Jan 11 by BlueBadger

80% of his managerial appointments have been bad.

And the other one had the gall not to even play Technical Football but focused on actually coaching players and getting results instead.

Oh BlueBadger please take off the selective memory filter, and really remember what the football became like under Mick, and just how awful and poisonous his tenure became in the end.

Mick was a brilliant appointment at the time, and I think he's a nice guy (despite the way he twisted the incredible patience shown to him by Town fans), but he was definitely not the long term solution, and your just confusing that with woeful subsequent appointments. He literally couldn't continue - you need to let him go! calling for his return is just silly.

Don't take my word for it, some media quotes:

It rather narks me when I hear people lauding Mick McCarthy as if he was some sort of revolutionary football manager. No more than revisionist history ahoy.

"They finished 16th the following season, and though it’s generally accepted McCarthy has done a decent job under difficult circumstances, that Norwich game was effectively the beginning of the end for McCarthy’s relationship with the supporters.

When his style of football gets results, fans have little reason to complain, but when it doesn’t… “Mick McCarthy, you football is sh*t”. As more time goes by without any tangible success to show, the more perilous one’s position may become.
When your own home ‘faithful’ are chanting in unison against you, it’s a pretty clear sign that things probably won’t end well."

"McCarthy absolutely saved the club from relegation when he came in. To deal with the mess that previous bosses had left behind was nothing short of miraculous, and for that, he deserves respect and thanks. The play-off season was also a highlight, but I think it masked a style of football whereby, if Ipswich didn’t win, there was little else going for it. For others, the football was dire, tactics were defensive and line-ups were (a couple of attacking players aside) set up to capture a point rather than tickle three out of the opposition."

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 15:25 - Jan 11 with 1272 viewsBlueBadger

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 15:00 - Jan 11 by unstableblue

Oh BlueBadger please take off the selective memory filter, and really remember what the football became like under Mick, and just how awful and poisonous his tenure became in the end.

Mick was a brilliant appointment at the time, and I think he's a nice guy (despite the way he twisted the incredible patience shown to him by Town fans), but he was definitely not the long term solution, and your just confusing that with woeful subsequent appointments. He literally couldn't continue - you need to let him go! calling for his return is just silly.

It rather narks me when I hear people lauding Mick McCarthy as if he was some sort of revolutionary football manager. No more than revisionist history ahoy.

"They finished 16th the following season, and though it’s generally accepted McCarthy has done a decent job under difficult circumstances, that Norwich game was effectively the beginning of the end for McCarthy’s relationship with the supporters.

When his style of football gets results, fans have little reason to complain, but when it doesn’t… “Mick McCarthy, you football is sh*t”. As more time goes by without any tangible success to show, the more perilous one’s position may become.
When your own home ‘faithful’ are chanting in unison against you, it’s a pretty clear sign that things probably won’t end well."

"McCarthy absolutely saved the club from relegation when he came in. To deal with the mess that previous bosses had left behind was nothing short of miraculous, and for that, he deserves respect and thanks. The play-off season was also a highlight, but I think it masked a style of football whereby, if Ipswich didn’t win, there was little else going for it. For others, the football was dire, tactics were defensive and line-ups were (a couple of attacking players aside) set up to capture a point rather than tickle three out of the opposition."

Oh yeah, The Football Is Better Now.

It's Technical Football.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 15:32 - Jan 11 with 1230 viewsMonkeyAlan

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 15:00 - Jan 11 by unstableblue

Christ, what a ramble. Mick was the best manager we have had since BFJ. . Evans chose not to back him when he could well have taken us back to the premiership. Evans you muppet.
Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 15:45 - Jan 11 with 1211 viewsunstableblue

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 15:25 - Jan 11 by BlueBadger

Oh yeah, The Football Is Better Now.

It's Technical Football.

Oh dear, must try harder.

The whole problem is its NOT TECHNICAL/tactical football and coaching! and hence Lambert has ultimately failed. Keep up.

There was genuine hope he was beginning to improve our passing and shape - WHICH WAS SO DESPERATELY NEEDED after Keane, Jewell and Mick - first season we had games like West Brom away and others, and some final hope that he could make 4-3-3 work this season -with players also responding well, and strong performance like Blackpool

But the players just don't to seem to have the tactical and technical strategies and moves to fall back on. And thats down to the manager.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2021 16:02]

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 15:48 - Jan 11 with 1191 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Excellent. We need all the other supporters clubs to come out with something similar now.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 15:50 - Jan 11 with 1182 viewsDarth_Koont

You can’t disagree with them that something needs to change – and in 2 years we’ve seen little sign that Lambert knows how to get performances or results with the squad at his disposal.

I think the tactical stuff is a bit of a red herring though. Yes, it may be a tactical shift rather than just better man/squad management but I’m not sure the answer is a “dynamic, high-tempo, technically sustainable style” per se. For starters, playing a high-tempo style isn’t sustainable and we fell off the pace on Saturday after we worked rather than played ourselves back into the game.

I’d be perfectly happy if we can mix it up, players know what they’re doing and how to link up, and we become harder to beat. Let’s be pragmatic and avoid losses, build up some confidence and momentum, and then see where we are. If we want to be more technical then we add to that foundation by playing more technical players – not trying to force through a style that I’m not sure our players are that suited to.

For example, I’d almost see Norwood and Jackson as more of a Kuqi and Bent and give them early balls to work with rather than expecting us to play up to them slowly and deliberately and then see them crowded out. Let them pull the defence around and create space for others to move into. I could care less whether it’s a second ball or a particularly fluent move. There just has to be more pressure on the opposition full stop if we’re going to win games.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 15:56 - Jan 11 with 1163 viewsHARRY10

Whereas, the reality is that the quality of our players is just not up to it, and the rot that has spread through the club for years will not be dealt with in a matter of a season or two - nor will the delusion hold that it is just a matter of changing the manager.
Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 15:59 - Jan 11 with 1137 viewsunstableblue

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 15:32 - Jan 11 by MonkeyAlan

Christ, what a ramble. Mick was the best manager we have had since BFJ. . Evans chose not to back him when he could well have taken us back to the premiership. Evans you muppet.

Totally agree that Mick was probably our best manager - albeit Magilton played far far more attractive and at times effective playing style; but just wasn't experience and rounded enough.

I also agree if Mick had been effectively funded we may have beaten Norwich, and who knows what would happen in the final. But you'd be crazy to say Norwich weren't looking a better side technically/tactically than us.

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 16:01 - Jan 11 with 1127 viewsBlueBadger

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 15:56 - Jan 11 by HARRY10

Whereas, the reality is that the quality of our players is just not up to it, and the rot that has spread through the club for years will not be dealt with in a matter of a season or two - nor will the delusion hold that it is just a matter of changing the manager.

It will be considerably easier if we've got a competent manager who's gotten us into the Championship, though rather than an inept one who's also trying to do it in the third division under a salary cap though.

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 16:15 - Jan 11 with 1067 viewsunstableblue

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 15:32 - Jan 11 by MonkeyAlan

ramble - its not my words

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 16:24 - Jan 11 with 1045 viewsHARRY10

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 16:01 - Jan 11 by BlueBadger

It will be considerably easier if we've got a competent manager who's gotten us into the Championship, though rather than an inept one who's also trying to do it in the third division under a salary cap though.

ah yes, I see

there is nothing wrong at the club that a 'competent' manager could not put right

we have not produced a first team keeper in 15 years

the guff about funding a CAT 1 academy

what happened to having 50% squad coming from the academy

any player that can raise a few quid has been sold

two non football CEOs (Clegg, Milne)

all overseen by an indifferent owner - thats where the real problem lies - and has been for years
Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 17:02 - Jan 11 with 981 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Rather naughty to pass off a supporters email to EADT as ‘media quotes’

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/mick-was-not-the-problem-your-posts-2658354

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 17:06 - Jan 11 with 969 viewsHerbivore

Lol.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 17:09 - Jan 11 with 961 viewsHerbivore

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 16:24 - Jan 11 by HARRY10

ah yes, I see

there is nothing wrong at the club that a 'competent' manager could not put right

we have not produced a first team keeper in 15 years

the guff about funding a CAT 1 academy

what happened to having 50% squad coming from the academy

any player that can raise a few quid has been sold

two non football CEOs (Clegg, Milne)

all overseen by an indifferent owner - thats where the real problem lies - and has been for years

All that aside, we have a squad that is amongst the best I the division we currently find ourselves in but a manager utterly incapable of getting them to play as a team and be greater than the sum of their parts. If we had one of those we'd be doing a lot better and none of the issues you mention would really seem such a big deal.

Give it a rest Paul. (n/t) on 17:15 - Jan 11 with 936 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 17:26 - Jan 11 with 883 viewsHARRY10

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 17:09 - Jan 11 by Herbivore

All that aside, we have a squad that is amongst the best I the division we currently find ourselves in but a manager utterly incapable of getting them to play as a team and be greater than the sum of their parts. If we had one of those we'd be doing a lot better and none of the issues you mention would really seem such a big deal.

I'm not sure what we have supposedly been issued with, but I know the failings listed are not ones that are an aberration, but are a reflection of how badly our club has been run

And I see little change in that direction other than appointing a manager with a remit to sort out the past decade or so's problems.

Bringing in another manager will not change where we are now. A failing squad, that come this summer, should see a fair number depart. Talk of being the best is ridiculous, as the results have shown.
Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 18:00 - Jan 11 with 810 viewsKeaneish

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 17:09 - Jan 11 by Herbivore

Change that from “manager” to “entire coaching staff”. I’ve seen no benefit from Lambert, Gill, Henry, Taylor or Walker to any of the players in the last two years.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 18:05 - Jan 11 with 801 viewsHerbivore

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 17:26 - Jan 11 by HARRY10

I'm not sure what we have supposedly been issued with, but I know the failings listed are not ones that are an aberration, but are a reflection of how badly our club has been run

And I see little change in that direction other than appointing a manager with a remit to sort out the past decade or so's problems.

Bringing in another manager will not change where we are now. A failing squad, that come this summer, should see a fair number depart. Talk of being the best is ridiculous, as the results have shown.

Incredible.

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 18:06 - Jan 11 with 798 viewsHerbivore

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 18:00 - Jan 11 by Keaneish

Change that from “manager” to “entire coaching staff”. I’ve seen no benefit from Lambert, Gill, Henry, Taylor or Walker to any of the players in the last two years.

Agreed, they are all hopeless but they are also all Lambert's men.

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 18:27 - Jan 11 with 744 viewsHARRY10

"we have a squad that is amongst the best I the division"

dear god, there's a worrying thought that you may be serious

cast offs from other clubs, has beens like Skuse and Chambers and failures like Jackson........then what ?

nothing, that's what, because that is the harsh reality. that is why we struggle to beat teams in the top half of the table, the squad is not good enough as Swindon so clearly exposed

and when there is the much needed clear out in the summer see how many remain at this level
Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 18:47 - Jan 11 with 719 viewsHerbivore

Just a great statement from SW supporters club... on 18:27 - Jan 11 by HARRY10

"we have a squad that is amongst the best I the division"

dear god, there's a worrying thought that you may be serious

cast offs from other clubs, has beens like Skuse and Chambers and failures like Jackson........then what ?

nothing, that's what, because that is the harsh reality. that is why we struggle to beat teams in the top half of the table, the squad is not good enough as Swindon so clearly exposed

and when there is the much needed clear out in the summer see how many remain at this level

Cast offs? You mean the likes of Downes, Bishop, Dozzell, Woolfenden, Norwood, Lankester, Edwards are all cast offs? The likes of Nsiala and Nolan, who we don't consider to be good enough for us, were good enough to be the standout players for a side that finished 3rd at this level. Jackson was the subject of a bid from Bournemouth in the summer, I suspect their scouts are better judges of a player than HARRY10 off the internet.

Have you ever considered that maybe the issue is a manager who has, over 2 years, proven to be utterly incapable of getting the best out of the players at his disposal? The evidence is there for all to see, all except you it seems. Perhaps you are a footballing oracle and can see the truth where others can't, but I make that possibility pretty close to zero.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2021 19:47]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024