Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Return to gigs? 18:24 - Jan 11 with 3556 viewshoppy

Just wondering what people's thoughts are re: getting back to being able to go to gigs?

First I've got is a ticket to see Fontaines DC at Cambridge Corn Exchange in May, bought last year... do you reckon by then it's going to go ahead?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Return to gigs? on 10:21 - Jan 12 with 1233 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Return to gigs? on 10:05 - Jan 12 by stonojnr

Prof Chris Whitty, who seems to be setting government policy on this, who has already said even with a vaccine, social distancing measures as we have had so far will have to be in place next year, his consistent view to when "normal" returns is measured in years, not weeks or even months.

I cant remotely see how that will lend itself to an environment where gigs could be held,especially not indoors, some events might be held outside in summer with strict social distancing.

But we will see

Surely once everyone is vaccinated the virus will simply die out because it has nowhere left to go? I appreciate that's a simplistic view and that the vaccines aren't 100%, but surely it'll do well to still spread to any meaningful amount once everyone's vaccinated? You'd need quite a lot of people that the vaccine doesn't work for to come into contact with each other to keep it going on a scale where all the social distancing measures still need to be in place?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Return to gigs? on 10:29 - Jan 12 with 1225 viewsStokieBlue

Return to gigs? on 10:21 - Jan 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

Surely once everyone is vaccinated the virus will simply die out because it has nowhere left to go? I appreciate that's a simplistic view and that the vaccines aren't 100%, but surely it'll do well to still spread to any meaningful amount once everyone's vaccinated? You'd need quite a lot of people that the vaccine doesn't work for to come into contact with each other to keep it going on a scale where all the social distancing measures still need to be in place?

We have only managed to kill off one virus entirely through vaccinations and that was smallpox.

There are significant numbers who don't want the vaccine, it's over 50% in France for instance. We also don't know the real-world efficacy or the duration of protection.

There are simply still a lot of unknowns.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Return to gigs? on 10:31 - Jan 12 with 1221 viewshype313

Return to gigs? on 10:21 - Jan 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

Agreed, The whole point of social distancing, restrictions, lockdowns is to keep hospitals running as best as they can, if you vaccinate everyone over 50 which accounts to 99% of hospitalisations (which they plan doing by April) then I really dont see why we would then be under constant restrictions.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Return to gigs? on 10:35 - Jan 12 with 1216 viewsbluelagos

Return to gigs? on 10:29 - Jan 12 by StokieBlue

We have only managed to kill off one virus entirely through vaccinations and that was smallpox.

There are significant numbers who don't want the vaccine, it's over 50% in France for instance. We also don't know the real-world efficacy or the duration of protection.

SB

Which will lead to a debate about getting on with our lives (with an associated risk from the disease) or forever limiting our freedoms.

At some point, when we have protected the most vulnerable then surely the rest of us can (if we chose) get on with things like going to football/gigs etc. We don't for example choose to stop people going to football ordinarily, knowing that things like the flu spread and cause deaths.

So once the most vulnerable are protected I think many people will be looking for normality.

Probably a debate for the weeks ahead, given we are still seeing many dieing at the rate we currently are.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Return to gigs? on 10:36 - Jan 12 with 1219 viewsblueasfook

After having 5 gigs cancelled last year, I am playing it by ear. Not booking anything until I know it will definitely go ahead.

TWTD Veteran
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Return to gigs? on 10:37 - Jan 12 with 1214 viewsRadlett_blue

SB

At least they are known unknowns.
I am not Donald Rumsfeld.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Return to gigs? on 10:39 - Jan 12 with 1213 viewshoppy

Return to gigs? on 09:37 - Jan 12 by bluelagos

Just shows how much footie has changed in recent years. As a teenager I used to come home from Portman Rd hoarse after every match.

Is that what happened to the original Bluey?

Return to gigs? on 10:39 - Jan 12 with 1212 viewsStokieBlue

Return to gigs? on 10:35 - Jan 12 by bluelagos

Which will lead to a debate about getting on with our lives (with an associated risk from the disease) or forever limiting our freedoms.

At some point, when we have protected the most vulnerable then surely the rest of us can (if we chose) get on with things like going to football/gigs etc. We don't for example choose to stop people going to football ordinarily, knowing that things like the flu spread and cause deaths.

So once the most vulnerable are protected I think many people will be looking for normality.

Probably a debate for the weeks ahead, given we are still seeing many dieing at the rate we currently are.

Of course people are (rightly) going to be looking for some degree of normality to return, it's just a bit early to even be discussing it because there are too many independently moving variables which we don't have values for.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

Return to gigs? on 10:41 - Jan 12 with 1207 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

SB

I appreciate all that, but I qualified my point by saying "on a scale where all the social distancing measures still need to be in place?"

Once the vaccinations have it at a manageable level surely the restrictions will be lifted. We're not going to stay in lockdown forever.

Return to gigs? on 10:42 - Jan 12 with 1206 viewsStokieBlue

Return to gigs? on 10:37 - Jan 12 by Radlett_blue

At least they are known unknowns.
I am not Donald Rumsfeld.

Could easily be some unknown unknowns as well.

Even though it was ridiculed at the time it's often now seen as a good way to summarise a complicated matter.

SB

Return to gigs? on 10:44 - Jan 12 with 1203 viewsStokieBlue

Return to gigs? on 10:41 - Jan 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

I appreciate all that, but I qualified my point by saying "on a scale where all the social distancing measures still need to be in place?"

Once the vaccinations have it at a manageable level surely the restrictions will be lifted. We're not going to stay in lockdown forever.

We won't stay in lockdown forever as you say and the vaccinations will be just in time for summer which should hopefully see a lull as we are outside more then.

Just probably a bit early to be banking on gigs and suchlike indoors in May. It could happen but it's just impossible to say at the moment.

SB

Return to gigs? on 10:50 - Jan 12 with 1189 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Return to gigs? on 10:44 - Jan 12 by StokieBlue

We won't stay in lockdown forever as you say and the vaccinations will be just in time for summer which should hopefully see a lull as we are outside more then.

Just probably a bit early to be banking on gigs and suchlike indoors in May. It could happen but it's just impossible to say at the moment.

SB

I've not mentioned May. I was responding to a poster who said, "Listening to various medical experts, we'll be lucky to have them this time next year."

Return to gigs? on 10:56 - Jan 12 with 1181 viewsStokieBlue

Return to gigs? on 10:50 - Jan 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

I've not mentioned May. I was responding to a poster who said, "Listening to various medical experts, we'll be lucky to have them this time next year."

My post was specifically relating it back to the opening post which asked about gigs in May.

I am not having a pop at you.

SB

Return to gigs? on 11:08 - Jan 12 with 1171 viewsMookamoo

A venue I work with are looking to open in May, albeit in a reduced capacity, with masks, seated at tables etc.

They're then working on opening with full capacity from Sept 1st. There is talk of requesting staff and artists have a lateral flow tests for each event, but not sure how that will be funded.
Return to gigs? on 11:26 - Jan 12 with 1164 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Return to gigs? on 10:56 - Jan 12 by StokieBlue

My post was specifically relating it back to the opening post which asked about gigs in May.

I am not having a pop at you.

SB

I didn't think you were. I agree with you that May seems too soon. Vastly different to next January though, which is what I was posting about.

Return to gigs? on 11:40 - Jan 12 with 1161 viewsthecheek

Surely indoor gigs will be one of the the last things we'll get back, can't see it happening much before the end of the year. Might be a bit of outdoor action in late autumn?

Got tickets for Squid and Bicep which have already been rescheduled a couple of times..
Return to gigs? on 11:59 - Jan 12 with 1146 viewsMookamoo

Return to gigs? on 11:40 - Jan 12 by thecheek

Surely indoor gigs will be one of the the last things we'll get back, can't see it happening much before the end of the year. Might be a bit of outdoor action in late autumn?

Got tickets for Squid and Bicep which have already been rescheduled a couple of times..

The venue's argument is with adequate staff and artist testing, combined with audience masks etc they should be able to open fully in September.

The cost of providing lateral flow kits to venues will be considerably cheaper than another Culture Recovery Fund Grant, but there is no commitment to provide these yet. That additional cost will wipe out any income from the gigs.
Return to gigs? on 13:24 - Jan 12 with 1123 viewsMonkeyAlan

Return to gigs? on 10:31 - Jan 12 by hype313

Agreed, The whole point of social distancing, restrictions, lockdowns is to keep hospitals running as best as they can, if you vaccinate everyone over 50 which accounts to 99% of hospitalisations (which they plan doing by April) then I really dont see why we would then be under constant restrictions.

By April for all over 50s ? I'm just over 50 and l don't expect to get it until at least September. I think April is very optimistic.
Return to gigs? on 13:27 - Jan 12 with 1123 viewshype313

Return to gigs? on 13:24 - Jan 12 by MonkeyAlan

By April for all over 50s ? I'm just over 50 and l don't expect to get it until at least September. I think April is very optimistic.

I think you might be surprised, if they are planning this in Manchester then other sites with large vaccination centres should be able to offer something similar.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchesters

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Return to gigs? on 13:57 - Jan 12 with 1109 viewshoppy

Return to gigs? on 13:27 - Jan 12 by hype313

I think you might be surprised, if they are planning this in Manchester then other sites with large vaccination centres should be able to offer something similar.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchesters

Alternatively, if they got Aldi checkout staff to administer it, they’d be all done by 10pm tomorrow evening.

Return to gigs? on 14:44 - Jan 12 with 1092 viewsgainsboroughblue

Return to gigs? on 13:57 - Jan 12 by hoppy

Alternatively, if they got Aldi checkout staff to administer it, they’d be all done by 10pm tomorrow evening.

Half of the vaccine would end up on the floor and not in your arm though.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Return to gigs? on 14:51 - Jan 12 with 1084 viewshoppy

Return to gigs? on 14:44 - Jan 12 by gainsboroughblue

Half of the vaccine would end up on the floor and not in your arm though.

No 5 second rule?

Return to gigs? on 15:39 - Jan 12 with 1078 viewsSpruceMoose

Return to gigs? on 19:18 - Jan 11 by Dubtractor

Alas, I think it will be a while yet. I've still got tickets to 10 or 12 gigs that were booked prior to March 2020 that keep getting rescheduled, plus for Green Man Festival from last year that have been rolled over.

I fear that gigs, standing ones especially, will be one of the very last things to be allowed given the very dense concentration of people in small spaces.

Here's some good news. I know that several NY engineering firms have developed an airborne pathogen control that is supposed to be approved by the EPA this week.

It uses Triethylene Glycol vapour, which is basically the active ingredient in theatre fog. At the correct concentrations, when diffused throughout a space using the HVAC system, it is supposed to have a virus kill time of around 30 seconds. It works by drying out the virus, and at the concentrations used it's 1/1000th of the level where it would pose a risk to people. So, in theory, when combined with other measures it may present a great chance to start refilling large interior spaces with people at some point soon.

As far as I'm aware it' could be one of the only airborne sources of killing the virus, as the others are based on coating surfaces that kill the virus on contact. Rest assured there are more people out there working on creative solutions than we realise at times.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Return to gigs? on 15:51 - Jan 12 with 1070 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Return to gigs? on 15:39 - Jan 12 by SpruceMoose

Here's some good news. I know that several NY engineering firms have developed an airborne pathogen control that is supposed to be approved by the EPA this week.

It uses Triethylene Glycol vapour, which is basically the active ingredient in theatre fog. At the correct concentrations, when diffused throughout a space using the HVAC system, it is supposed to have a virus kill time of around 30 seconds. It works by drying out the virus, and at the concentrations used it's 1/1000th of the level where it would pose a risk to people. So, in theory, when combined with other measures it may present a great chance to start refilling large interior spaces with people at some point soon.

As far as I'm aware it' could be one of the only airborne sources of killing the virus, as the others are based on coating surfaces that kill the virus on contact. Rest assured there are more people out there working on creative solutions than we realise at times.

Sounds promising.

My mates a roadie... (BREXIT) on 16:20 - Jan 12 with 1063 viewsunstableblue

... working on big US and Europe tours (a wild time)

He's really p!ssed off about a new Brexit law that will make touring harder for UK outfits...don't have the details, but apparently the EU offered a visa free approach and the UK turned it down

Madness... arts have been hit hard enough

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024