Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just seen a couple of goldfinches on my bird feeder 15:22 - Jan 12 with 1159 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Don't think I've seen one before - was about to describe them on here to see if anyone knew what they were, but an RSPB article on garden birds had them. I imagine they aren't so rare for some of you out in the sticks.

We also had a woodpecker eating from it earlier, which is also fairly rare for a garden bird to my mind.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2021 15:29]

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Just seen a couple of goldfinch's on my bird feeder on 15:26 - Jan 12 with 1141 viewsfactual_blue

A couple of what parts or possessions of a goldfinch did you see?

We sometimes see a couple of goldfinches on our bird feeders.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2021 15:26]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Just seen a couple of goldfinch's on my bird feeder on 15:26 - Jan 12 with 1136 viewsCoco

Prefer Tits myself

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Just seen a couple of goldfinch's on my bird feeder on 15:27 - Jan 12 with 1123 viewsSteve_M

Had one flying around outside in NW1 last week. A blackcap warbler the next day too. And also last week I saw a cormorant on the canal which is unusual too.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Just seen a couple of goldfinches on my bird feeder on 15:30 - Jan 12 with 1103 viewsfactual_blue

Glad to have been of help.

Just seen a couple of goldfinches on my bird feeder on 15:31 - Jan 12 with 1098 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Just seen a couple of goldfinches on my bird feeder on 15:30 - Jan 12 by factual_blue

Glad to have been of help.

I'm just off to give myself 50 lashes.

Just seen a couple of goldfinch's on my bird feeder on 15:31 - Jan 12 with 1098 viewsIpswichKnight

We have a woodpecker that comes daily to our fat balls. Mainly it’s blue tits, Robins and Sparrows we get the most of. We do also get from time to time Starlings, goldfinches, great tit, coal tit, long tailed tits, song thrush and nuthatch.

There are 2 kingfishers that hang out on the canal about 200 meters from where we live as well.
Just seen a couple of goldfinches on my bird feeder on 15:31 - Jan 12 with 1097 viewsNthQldITFC

Put out some Nyjer seed and you'll be covered in goldfinches before you know it.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Just seen a couple of goldfinches on my bird feeder on 15:36 - Jan 12 with 1063 viewsDubtractor

Yeah, very common here in Ipswich. Very pretty birds, fairly messy also.

One of the good bits of working from home for me is that from the office (back bedroom) I'm looking out over the back garden so get some premium quality bird action to watch throughout the day.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2021 15:40]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Login to get fewer ads

Just seen a couple of goldfinch's on my bird feeder on 15:37 - Jan 12 with 1057 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Just seen a couple of goldfinch's on my bird feeder on 15:31 - Jan 12 by IpswichKnight

We have a woodpecker that comes daily to our fat balls. Mainly it’s blue tits, Robins and Sparrows we get the most of. We do also get from time to time Starlings, goldfinches, great tit, coal tit, long tailed tits, song thrush and nuthatch.

There are 2 kingfishers that hang out on the canal about 200 meters from where we live as well.

The starlings are vicious whatsits - with other birds and each other. We get all the tits too - the longtailed ones seem to turn up in a huge gang and then are off again.

Not heard of a nuthatch.

Just seen a couple of goldfinches on my bird feeder on 15:39 - Jan 12 with 1054 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Just seen a couple of goldfinches on my bird feeder on 15:31 - Jan 12 by NthQldITFC

Put out some Nyjer seed and you'll be covered in goldfinches before you know it.

Not heard of that one. Been getting a bag of mixed seeds for 90p from Sainsbury's but half of them end up on the floor. The birds seem to sort through for their favourites and chuck the rest! I've since switched to sunflower seeds this week and though more expensive, there's a lot less wastage.

Just seen a couple of goldfinch's on my bird feeder on 15:39 - Jan 12 with 1054 viewsfactual_blue

Just seen a couple of goldfinch's on my bird feeder on 15:26 - Jan 12 by Coco

Prefer Tits myself

Birding is very like dogging, but with more colourful tits.

Just seen a couple of goldfinches on my bird feeder on 15:41 - Jan 12 with 1046 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Just seen a couple of goldfinches on my bird feeder on 15:36 - Jan 12 by Dubtractor

Yeah, very common here in Ipswich. Very pretty birds, fairly messy also.

One of the good bits of working from home for me is that from the office (back bedroom) I'm looking out over the back garden so get some premium quality bird action to watch throughout the day.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2021 15:40]

Yeah I've positioned myself by the patio doors - partly for the extra natural light but also for the animal watching (squirrels, cats, foxes as well as the birds).

Just seen a couple of goldfinches on my bird feeder on 15:50 - Jan 12 with 1034 viewsfactual_blue

Just seen a couple of goldfinches on my bird feeder on 15:41 - Jan 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

Yeah I've positioned myself by the patio doors - partly for the extra natural light but also for the animal watching (squirrels, cats, foxes as well as the birds).

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DO6ch56W4AA7alY?format=jpg&name=large

Just seen a couple of goldfinch's on my bird feeder on 15:51 - Jan 12 with 1031 viewsIpswichKnight

Just seen a couple of goldfinch's on my bird feeder on 15:37 - Jan 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

The starlings are vicious whatsits - with other birds and each other. We get all the tits too - the longtailed ones seem to turn up in a huge gang and then are off again.

Not heard of a nuthatch.

They are a proper woodland bird, about the size of a great tit, lovely blue and orange colour scheme as well.

Keep a look out for Goldcrests if you trees nearby it’s a really good year for them we’ve got a couple out the front. It is a tiny bird though weighs about the same as a 20p piece. You will spot them as they have a golden stripe on the top of the head.
Just seen a couple of goldfinch's on my bird feeder on 15:53 - Jan 12 with 1023 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Just seen a couple of goldfinch's on my bird feeder on 15:51 - Jan 12 by IpswichKnight

They are a proper woodland bird, about the size of a great tit, lovely blue and orange colour scheme as well.

Keep a look out for Goldcrests if you trees nearby it’s a really good year for them we’ve got a couple out the front. It is a tiny bird though weighs about the same as a 20p piece. You will spot them as they have a golden stripe on the top of the head.

We have got a bit of woodland out the back as it goes.

Just seen a couple of goldfinches on my bird feeder on 16:05 - Jan 12 with 1007 viewsWestover

When I lived in Ireland I always had Goldfinches on the nut feeders sometimes as many as 8 but only in winter.
Just seen a couple of goldfinches on my bird feeder on 16:40 - Jan 12 with 944 viewswitchdoctor

Just seen a couple of goldfinches on my bird feeder on 15:39 - Jan 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

Not heard of that one. Been getting a bag of mixed seeds for 90p from Sainsbury's but half of them end up on the floor. The birds seem to sort through for their favourites and chuck the rest! I've since switched to sunflower seeds this week and though more expensive, there's a lot less wastage.

their faves are sunflower hearts..👍
Just seen a couple of goldfinches on my bird feeder on 16:58 - Jan 12 with 918 viewsIpswichKnight

If they hadn’t borked my back on Sunday I’d have gone for my daily exercise along the canal with the camera and binoculars and had an hour of walking and bird watching at lunch.

Towards the end of the month I think it’s the RSPB garden watch, spend an hour just counting the number and type of birds that visit your garden and area.
Just seen a couple of goldfinches on my bird feeder on 17:08 - Jan 12 with 912 viewswkj

Had a lovely pair of Tits munching down on my fat ball this morning. Simple pleasures in uncertain times.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Just seen a couple of goldfinches on my bird feeder on 17:25 - Jan 12 with 893 viewsWestover

Just seen a couple of goldfinches on my bird feeder on 17:08 - Jan 12 by wkj

Had a lovely pair of Tits munching down on my fat ball this morning. Simple pleasures in uncertain times.

Lucky you 😂 I'm in the Algarve and yesterday just around the corner from me someone has two old bird cages on there ground floor apartment terrace wth doors open and I assume seed inside and about a dozen waxbills were feeding.
Just seen a couple of goldfinches on my bird feeder on 17:37 - Jan 12 with 867 viewsronnyd

Just seen a couple of goldfinches on my bird feeder on 15:31 - Jan 12 by NthQldITFC

Seemingly you need a special feeder for Nyjer seeds, as they are so small that a normal feeder just dumps them on the ground.
Just seen a couple of goldfinches on my bird feeder on 13:55 - Jan 13 with 732 viewsWarkystache

Just seen a couple of goldfinches on my bird feeder on 17:08 - Jan 12 by wkj

Stop boasting.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024