Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Evans backing question..... 19:48 - Jan 13 with 5175 viewsBlueBertie

Apologies if this has been spoken about before but why do some on here trot out the opinion that we should be grateful for him putting money into our club, £5 million or so just to keep us afloat each year and that somehow we should be grateful. Surely this is complete nonsense as the reason he's having to is 100% down to his miss-management of the club. A fair chunk of the debt figure banded about doesn't exist surely. I run my own business and if I have problems which are down to me, I don't ask my customers to pay for these costs?
Evans backing question..... on 21:48 - Jan 13 with 1175 viewsPhilTWTD

Evans backing question..... on 21:11 - Jan 13 by BlueBertie

Roughly how much was the actual debt when he first came and how much it is now?

£32m when he took over, £95.5m to June 2020.
Evans backing question..... on 22:02 - Jan 13 with 1161 viewsBlueBertie

Evans backing question..... on 21:14 - Jan 13 by casanovacrow

Looking at the debt I don't think he's taking it out.

I think he's keeping the debt there and letting it grow. Probably at a very nice interest rate. I'm not even implying he expects to get it back, just that the interest on debt will no doubt cause us to be much less competitive if he wants to keep losses to a minimum

So he's getting interest back on money he's loaned to cover financial implications of mistakes he's made? That's madness. I say getting money back, I appreciate it's all numbers on paper but still. Apologies again for going over a subject that's probably been done to death previously.
Evans backing question..... on 22:06 - Jan 13 with 1162 viewsChurchman

Evans backing question..... on 21:48 - Jan 13 by PhilTWTD

Since Sheepshanks’ ‘efforts’, we’ve heard all the reasons and excuses, both justified and otherwise. The one fact is that only Bolton as far as I can see have done worse since 2002 and is in a worse state. At least they had a lot of good years in the Prem. We sit in the middle of the old 3rd division heading one way. We have an owner who has appointed one decent manager in 5, in addition to Magilton who he fired and with the gift of hindsight was better than all bar MM.

He has well and truly ‘sweated the assets’ I.e. the football ground and everything else and is now looking forward to the salary cap. Does anyone think the likes of Sunderland won’t find ways around that, just as about all bar ITFC did with FFP? Of course they will and of course Evans will hide behind the rules..

Evans doesn’t back this club. He does the minimum he can without the least bit of interest in it. He bought the club with its written down debt because it was short cut to make £££. That plan failed when he appointed Keane and we are where we are.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2021 22:10]
Evans backing question..... on 22:09 - Jan 13 with 1161 viewscasanovacrow

Evans backing question..... on 21:48 - Jan 13 by PhilTWTD

so at a rate of say 1.75% over the duration of his tenure the initial £32m debt would be almost £44m of the overall 95.5m ,and the yearly debt would still be charged on that part ...albeit onto the balance sheet. That would be a £3/4m a year now? If he stopped compounding that part and just wrote off further interest on that too we'd have enough to buy one or two players each year and still have the same shortfall each year?

If he know's he wont be getting that paid back I don't see why he'd tie the clubs hands behind their back like that each year. I'm obviously missing something
Evans backing question..... on 22:17 - Jan 13 with 1156 viewsPhilTWTD

Evans backing question..... on 22:09 - Jan 13 by casanovacrow

so at a rate of say 1.75% over the duration of his tenure the initial £32m debt would be almost £44m of the overall 95.5m ,and the yearly debt would still be charged on that part ...albeit onto the balance sheet. That would be a £3/4m a year now? If he stopped compounding that part and just wrote off further interest on that too we'd have enough to buy one or two players each year and still have the same shortfall each year?

If he know's he wont be getting that paid back I don't see why he'd tie the clubs hands behind their back like that each year. I'm obviously missing something

I'm missing something as I don't see how the debt/interest impacts upon what's available for players. Are you conflating the loss reported in the accounts with the shortfall?
Evans backing question..... on 22:20 - Jan 13 with 1151 viewscasanovacrow

Evans backing question..... on 22:17 - Jan 13 by PhilTWTD

I'm missing something as I don't see how the debt/interest impacts upon what's available for players. Are you conflating the loss reported in the accounts with the shortfall?

It all depends if it is taken into account by the man at the top in how much he's willing for the club to lose each year?
Regardless, if you know you aren't getting it back, why keep charging interest on the debt? I don't want to be "that guy" but could the £3/4m be a tax write off to him?
[Post edited 13 Jan 2021 22:33]
Evans backing question..... on 09:34 - Jan 14 with 1063 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Evans does take a large slice of the blame, but to suggest its 100% down to him implies you havent followed football over the last 2 decades.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Evans backing question..... on 09:53 - Jan 14 with 1056 viewsChurchman

Evans backing question..... on 09:34 - Jan 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

Evans does take a large slice of the blame, but to suggest its 100% down to him implies you havent followed football over the last 2 decades.

Who else is to blame? He is 100% accountable. It’s Evans’ club and the decisions were and are his. He decided what to put into the club and what not to. He appointed the managers, directors, DoFs etc etc. He sets the tone in terms of the clubs ambition, image and just about everything else. He decides whether it’s ok for plants to grow out of the roof or whether or not to give an idiot a five year contract. It’s down to nobody else but Evans that we can’t compete with the top 10 in League One.
Login to get fewer ads

Evans backing question..... on 10:15 - Jan 14 with 1042 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Evans backing question..... on 09:53 - Jan 14 by Churchman

Who else is to blame? He is 100% accountable. It’s Evans’ club and the decisions were and are his. He decided what to put into the club and what not to. He appointed the managers, directors, DoFs etc etc. He sets the tone in terms of the clubs ambition, image and just about everything else. He decides whether it’s ok for plants to grow out of the roof or whether or not to give an idiot a five year contract. It’s down to nobody else but Evans that we can’t compete with the top 10 in League One.

The football landscape has completely changed while he has been the owner, and manager that he appointed, are not blameless either.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Evans backing question..... on 10:46 - Jan 14 with 1031 viewsdaisyisabaddog

An amount of £32m approx was owed to Aviva. He bought that debt for £7m but our debt of £32m remained. We just owed it to Evans rather than Aviva. He charged interest up to around 2012 but never took the money out. It went round in a circle back into the club and increased the loan. Since 2012 he has been loaning around £5m a year to cover losses without interest being charged. His ownership has been a disaster but we wouldn't have been in this position if his predecessor hadn't borrowed so much money to build stands that have rarely been full.
Evans backing question..... on 10:54 - Jan 14 with 1029 viewsBluespeed225

Evans backing question..... on 20:26 - Jan 13 by BlueBertie

Yes sorry my bad. I get all that but as a Director albeit fairly new to running my company, if I drop a clanger at work or continued to make bad decisions and the company was failing as a result, I'd then put money into the company to rectify my bad management. I can say the company then owes me but that wouldn't as such be true. I can say it does but not the case.

NEVER say 'my bad'. down there with 'reach out'. Unless your in The Four Tops of course.
Evans backing question..... on 11:22 - Jan 14 with 1027 viewsHighgateBlue

The £5m or whatever figure it is (I always thought it was £6m, but there we go) is a figure that is needed to inject each year to plug our operating losses. The debt figure is totally irrelevant to this.

You run your own business. I assume you make a profit. ITFC does not. In order for it to make a profit, we would have to spend hardly anything on wages. I don't know how many L1 clubs break even but it can't be very many at all, if any.

If he were to sell the club for £1 to the supporters club and forgive all of the debt, the club may well fold, as it would need to pay off very many players in order to break even. Even if it could pay off whatever players it wanted for £0, it would need to have a tiny tiny budget in order to break even, and would surely not be able to compete in L1.

Football clubs generally run at a loss. Whoever plugs that loss means that our football club continues. I'm not bowing down at Evans' feet, but I do appreciate him putting millions into our club each year. He's got some managerial appointments badly badly wrong, and the 5 year deal for Lambert is mind-boggling, but I do not understand the antipathy towards the guy. There's no evidence whatsoever that he has some sort of evil agenda. He's just trying to do his best. He appoints professional managers each time, all of whom had either achieved promotion with a previous club, or in the case of Hurst had outperformed with a previous club. No appointment is going to please all the fans, but at the time, there was no widespread consensus with any manager that it was a bonkers appointment.

We have had an awful 20 years to endure. No doubt about that. But Evans is in administrative control of an organisation, and if one is going to criticise him, one needs to do so with calm rational analysis, not merely knee jerk reactions or rage. Personally I think Lambert has performed very poorly and given that I can't see the season turning around, he should go now. There are numerous possible replacements, all of whom would be a risk but would have a chance at turning us round. Getting rid of Evans is not a solution, because that proposition on its own does not answer the question as to what he is replaced with, or on what terms.
Evans backing question..... on 13:58 - Jan 14 with 1000 viewsChurchman

Evans backing question..... on 10:15 - Jan 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

The football landscape has completely changed while he has been the owner, and manager that he appointed, are not blameless either.

The football landscape changed for all clubs, both professional and non league. Talking of that, Lincoln City were non league a few years ago and we quite literally look up to them now let alone Wycombe Wanderers who are out of our league. If you are saying that in the climate of the last 20 years this is the best we could of hoped for, I’m afraid I’ll have to disagree.

We were relegated with Leicester City in exactly the same financial situation at the same time. The difference since then has been the respective owners.

As for the Managers, the are responsible for the appalling players and laughable set up of the team, but Evans is accountable.
Evans backing question..... on 14:28 - Jan 14 with 981 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Evans backing question..... on 11:22 - Jan 14 by HighgateBlue

The £5m or whatever figure it is (I always thought it was £6m, but there we go) is a figure that is needed to inject each year to plug our operating losses. The debt figure is totally irrelevant to this.

You run your own business. I assume you make a profit. ITFC does not. In order for it to make a profit, we would have to spend hardly anything on wages. I don't know how many L1 clubs break even but it can't be very many at all, if any.

If he were to sell the club for £1 to the supporters club and forgive all of the debt, the club may well fold, as it would need to pay off very many players in order to break even. Even if it could pay off whatever players it wanted for £0, it would need to have a tiny tiny budget in order to break even, and would surely not be able to compete in L1.

Football clubs generally run at a loss. Whoever plugs that loss means that our football club continues. I'm not bowing down at Evans' feet, but I do appreciate him putting millions into our club each year. He's got some managerial appointments badly badly wrong, and the 5 year deal for Lambert is mind-boggling, but I do not understand the antipathy towards the guy. There's no evidence whatsoever that he has some sort of evil agenda. He's just trying to do his best. He appoints professional managers each time, all of whom had either achieved promotion with a previous club, or in the case of Hurst had outperformed with a previous club. No appointment is going to please all the fans, but at the time, there was no widespread consensus with any manager that it was a bonkers appointment.

We have had an awful 20 years to endure. No doubt about that. But Evans is in administrative control of an organisation, and if one is going to criticise him, one needs to do so with calm rational analysis, not merely knee jerk reactions or rage. Personally I think Lambert has performed very poorly and given that I can't see the season turning around, he should go now. There are numerous possible replacements, all of whom would be a risk but would have a chance at turning us round. Getting rid of Evans is not a solution, because that proposition on its own does not answer the question as to what he is replaced with, or on what terms.

An excellent post. Thank you.
Evans backing question..... on 14:36 - Jan 14 with 974 viewstextbackup

"He's got some managerial appointments badly badly wrong"

all but one have been absolutely hopeless, then he didn't back the one that had an ounce of success. he let sht managers spend money, and another rip up the foundations of an average championship squad.

this entire fck up of a football club falls at his feet, with piss poor management over a 12/14 year period.

but yeah, ta for keeping so going, and getting worse year on year.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Evans backing question..... on 15:14 - Jan 14 with 952 viewshype313

Good post, without Evans we would be in a far worse state, however, his decisions have been dire to say the least.

What frustrates me the most is why he gave Lambert the job in the first place, he has had no success for ten years, you don't need to delve very far to do some due diligence on him, it's there for all to see. Not only that, even after zero signs of improvement he decided to give him an extension on his contract.

This appointment has been nothing bar an unmitigated disaster.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Evans backing question..... on 16:38 - Jan 14 with 924 viewstractorboy1978

Evans backing question..... on 15:14 - Jan 14 by hype313

Good post, without Evans we would be in a far worse state, however, his decisions have been dire to say the least.

What frustrates me the most is why he gave Lambert the job in the first place, he has had no success for ten years, you don't need to delve very far to do some due diligence on him, it's there for all to see. Not only that, even after zero signs of improvement he decided to give him an extension on his contract.

Would we be in a worse state though? Someone would have come in for us - it's not Evans or nothing.

In the time he's been here the number of clubs that have flown past us is countless.

Leicester have won the PL - from L1
Palace an established PL club
Burnley - PL
Brighton - PL from L1
Bournemouth - CH from L2 - few years in the Prem
Brentford - CH play off contenders from L2
Huddersfield - CH from L1 - spent two years in the Prem
Bristol City - solid CH side from L1
Luton - non league to CH
Coventry - dropped down to L2 now back up to CH
Wycombe - L2 to CH
Rotherham - L2 to CH
Lincoln - non league to above us in L1
Accrington - non league to above us in L1

How long before clubs like Fleetwood and Salford (that are upwardly mobile) are ahead of us?

The above isn't down to money in a lot of circumstances either, just incompetence, no plan and running the club abysmally, including not putting the right infrastructure in place.

And without being melodramatic, the club is in the worst state I've ever known it to be in so many areas - fan engagement being top of that list.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2021 22:56]
Evans backing question..... on 16:41 - Jan 14 with 919 viewsSlambo

Evans backing question..... on 15:14 - Jan 14 by hype313

I get vey frustrated with this idea that we'd have been worse off without Evans, or that he somehow 'saved' the club. If we were forced into administration we would've got docked a load of points and got relegated to div 3, 17-18 years before we washed up there anyway. We would have been unable to pay off many creditors (which I understand was the case even going into voluntary administration?) which would have been an enduring shame, but ultimately we would have been able reset, chastened, but debt free and ready to go again.

Countless numbers of clubs have gone into administration in the premier league era, and guess what - every single one of them are still operating now. A tiny proportion had to be reborn as phoenix clubs (Halifax springs to mind) but every single one - with the possible exceptions of Stockport, Notts County and maybe Wrexham - are back playing at a similar level to when they went under.

If the people of Ipswich/Suffolk want a professional football club, they will have a professional football club. We don't need Marcus Evans; we not only didn't need him for the previous 129 years before he came on the scene, but we positively thrived without him. In relation to Marcus Evans, Ipswich fans sound like a battered wife: 'you don't see his nice side', 'I can't do any better anyway'. Evans's tenure has been without doubt the greatest calamity that has befallen this club and his reckoning is due.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2021 16:44]

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

Evans backing question..... on 19:41 - Jan 14 with 859 viewsKeaneish

Evans backing question..... on 20:08 - Jan 13 by jeera

That's not what you said though is it?

It's only his because he says so.

It's the club's debt really, but does that matter right now? The club can't repay it, and no one is about to offer to buy it.

It’s effectively a loan, right? He bought the debt but the club pays annual interest on the debt. Evans puts money in out of his own pocket but the more he puts in the more we pay back in interest. Interestingly, I read he hasn’t converted any of his investment to equity.

The club doesn’t actually need to repay the debt he purchased though, the club just pays the annual interest it’s charged on the investment. That’s my understanding - is that right do you know?

This has already been answered further up!
[Post edited 14 Jan 2021 19:45]

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Evans backing question..... on 20:11 - Jan 14 with 838 viewsKeaneish

These reactions aren’t knee jerk though are they? The bottom line is the club’s status and stature has deteriorated exponentially. The club’s debt has increased to astronomic levels (it does matter long term what this is regardless who owns it). The owner has complete control both financial and directoral and the decision making has been absurd for 13-years.

I have the opposite view to you. If he’s doing his best as you say, and this is it, he’s not a good owner and not fit for purpose but we’ve been rendered powerless to do anything about it. Ironically, the longer this continues and the greater the debt becomes, the more we are beholden to him. It’s a sad, perverse state of affairs. Does Evans really care about turning the club around or does he just want to keep it enslaved to Marcus Evans and use managers as a shield to take the flack? After all, that’s the only thing we do seem to have some level of control or say over.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Evans backing question..... on 21:34 - Jan 14 with 809 viewsbluebudgie

Evans backing question..... on 20:11 - Jan 14 by Keaneish

These reactions aren’t knee jerk though are they? The bottom line is the club’s status and stature has deteriorated exponentially. The club’s debt has increased to astronomic levels (it does matter long term what this is regardless who owns it). The owner has complete control both financial and directoral and the decision making has been absurd for 13-years.

I have the opposite view to you. If he’s doing his best as you say, and this is it, he’s not a good owner and not fit for purpose but we’ve been rendered powerless to do anything about it. Ironically, the longer this continues and the greater the debt becomes, the more we are beholden to him. It’s a sad, perverse state of affairs. Does Evans really care about turning the club around or does he just want to keep it enslaved to Marcus Evans and use managers as a shield to take the flack? After all, that’s the only thing we do seem to have some level of control or say over.

Genuine question what happens to the debt if Marcus Evans dies?
Evans backing question..... on 22:06 - Jan 14 with 791 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Evans backing question..... on 16:38 - Jan 14 by tractorboy1978

Would we be in a worse state though? Someone would have come in for us - it's not Evans or nothing.

In the time he's been here the number of clubs that have flown past us is countless.

Leicester have won the PL - from L1
Palace an established PL club
Burnley - PL
Brighton - PL from L1
Bournemouth - CH from L2 - few years in the Prem
Brentford - CH play off contenders from L2
Huddersfield - CH from L1 - spent two years in the Prem
Bristol City - solid CH side from L1
Luton - non league to CH
Coventry - dropped down to L2 now back up to CH
Wycombe - L2 to CH
Rotherham - L2 to CH
Lincoln - non league to above us in L1
Accrington - non league to above us in L1

How long before clubs like Fleetwood and Salford (that are upwardly mobile) are ahead of us?

The above isn't down to money in a lot of circumstances either, just incompetence, no plan and running the club abysmally, including not putting the right infrastructure in place.

And without being melodramatic, the club is in the worst state I've ever known it to be in so many areas - fan engagement being top of that list.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2021 22:56]

And yet, for all that list, you have your Bolton, Bury, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Notts County, Derby, etc, etc.

EDIT: It is almost a mathematical certainty that for every one of those successful there is going to be another pretty much equally unsuccessful one.

The biggest problem is that Evans does not appear to learn from his mistakes. He needs to take far better football advice than he has done.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2021 22:19]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Evans backing question..... on 22:55 - Jan 14 with 767 viewstractorboy1978

Evans backing question..... on 22:06 - Jan 14 by Nthsuffolkblue

And yet, for all that list, you have your Bolton, Bury, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Notts County, Derby, etc, etc.

EDIT: It is almost a mathematical certainty that for every one of those successful there is going to be another pretty much equally unsuccessful one.

The biggest problem is that Evans does not appear to learn from his mistakes. He needs to take far better football advice than he has done.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2021 22:19]

Charlton and Sunderland have dropped fairly comparably to us. Then you have Portsmouth, Bolton and Wigan who are where they are due to utterly catastrophic ownership destroying them or complete financial ruin in Portsmouth's case. That's it though in terms of clubs that were ahead of us before ME coming in. So you have 2 roughly on par and three below us due to exceptional circumstances.

[Post edited 14 Jan 2021 23:00]
Evans backing question..... on 09:54 - Jan 15 with 702 viewsdaisyisabaddog

Evans backing question..... on 21:34 - Jan 14 by bluebudgie

Genuine question what happens to the debt if Marcus Evans dies?

The debt isn't owed to him personally, at least I don't think so. Pretty sure it is owed to one of his companies. If he dies the shares in that company are distributed in accordance with his will. But unless he dies of shame he's likely to be around for a while yet.
Evans backing question..... on 10:00 - Jan 15 with 700 viewshype313

Evans backing question..... on 16:41 - Jan 14 by Slambo

I get vey frustrated with this idea that we'd have been worse off without Evans, or that he somehow 'saved' the club. If we were forced into administration we would've got docked a load of points and got relegated to div 3, 17-18 years before we washed up there anyway. We would have been unable to pay off many creditors (which I understand was the case even going into voluntary administration?) which would have been an enduring shame, but ultimately we would have been able reset, chastened, but debt free and ready to go again.

Countless numbers of clubs have gone into administration in the premier league era, and guess what - every single one of them are still operating now. A tiny proportion had to be reborn as phoenix clubs (Halifax springs to mind) but every single one - with the possible exceptions of Stockport, Notts County and maybe Wrexham - are back playing at a similar level to when they went under.

If the people of Ipswich/Suffolk want a professional football club, they will have a professional football club. We don't need Marcus Evans; we not only didn't need him for the previous 129 years before he came on the scene, but we positively thrived without him. In relation to Marcus Evans, Ipswich fans sound like a battered wife: 'you don't see his nice side', 'I can't do any better anyway'. Evans's tenure has been without doubt the greatest calamity that has befallen this club and his reckoning is due.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2021 16:44]

Neither of us know how things would have panned out in all honesty, This line of " but ultimately we would have been able reset, chastened, but debt free and ready to go again" maybe true, but what division? How far down would we have gone before we would be able to reset?

Look, I'm not Evans fan, far from it, I'd love nothing more than someone to come in who has a genuine interest in transforming our fortunes as opposed to someone taking a punt and doubling down when it doesn't work out, but I do wonder what would have happened to us if the nuclear option had taken place.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024