Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On this day in 1973... 21:29 - Jan 14 with 3518 viewsblueasfook

Chelmsford city away in FA Cup. Hippies fighting.

TWTD Veteran
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

On this day in 1973... on 21:43 - Jan 14 with 3010 viewsColin_Viljoen

That was some day, was in that pub!
On this day in 1973... on 21:57 - Jan 14 with 2975 viewsfloridablue

Wow.. never seen these before. Yes i was there as a teenager but one of the age group that suddenly realize it's not so cool to be part of the mob! remember being in the left side stand as you look from where the Town fans behind the goal stood, and looking round at every stand being jam packed.. yet only 16,000 inside.
On this day in 1973... on 22:13 - Jan 14 with 2926 viewsVic

I can see Factors grandson in the picture with the old cortina in it.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

On this day in 1973... on 22:14 - Jan 14 with 2919 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The picture top right is like the officer is saying "has anybody left this fan behind?" - the police Mini too!

And then the one of the bloke turning round as if to say "will you stop letting that dog nip my legs?"!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

On this day in 1973... on 22:14 - Jan 14 with 2929 viewsAtmosphere

I was there as a 15 year old Chelmsford boy supporting Chelmsford City. Was set upon by a load of Town fans and had my scarf nicked. Anyone here like to own up?
On this day in 1973... on 22:22 - Jan 14 with 2883 viewsWallingford_Boy

Ahh the good old days of knock out punches.

Rarely seen at football these days, kinda shame. In a way..

RIP Sir Bobby

On this day in 1973... on 22:25 - Jan 14 with 2883 viewsNthsuffolkblue

On this day in 1973... on 22:14 - Jan 14 by Atmosphere

I was there as a 15 year old Chelmsford boy supporting Chelmsford City. Was set upon by a load of Town fans and had my scarf nicked. Anyone here like to own up?

Was that the beginnings of you supporting ITFC or are you here as a guest fan?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

On this day in 1973... on 22:55 - Jan 14 with 2798 viewsBlueBadger

On this day in 1973... on 22:14 - Jan 14 by Atmosphere

Given your username, do you have any thoughts on the kind of parties you prefer?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

On this day in 1973... on 23:22 - Jan 14 with 2765 viewsnorth_stand77

I was there as a 15 year old too.

Think the participants in the photo might be a bit upset to be called Hippies.Fairly certain they were 'Boot Boys'!
On this day in 1973... on 23:36 - Jan 14 with 2725 viewsColin_Viljoen

The run through Woolworth's after the game is still spoken about in Chelmsford.
On this day in 1973... on 23:54 - Jan 14 with 2714 viewsRocky

I was there too. A lot of our fans were Billy Big Boots trying to teach these tiny non-league fans a lesson in proper aggro.
Cringeworthy when you look back.
On this day in 1973... on 00:23 - Jan 15 with 2677 viewsnoggin

The only known evidence of Town fans being involved in any trouble, thankfully.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

On this day in 1973... on 09:07 - Jan 15 with 2455 viewsDinnernotTea

On this day in 1973... on 00:23 - Jan 15 by noggin

The only known evidence of Town fans being involved in any trouble, thankfully.

The last time would've been Portsmouth at home 2003 as they got ambushed in the Drum and Monkey. That was carnage but can't remember anything high profile since. I know there's been a few scraps in that time but always low numbers.

Peterborough 2019 was all handbags and BTP/Social Media completely hyped that up.

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

On this day in 1973... on 09:54 - Jan 15 with 2406 viewsAtmosphere

On this day in 1973... on 22:25 - Jan 14 by Nthsuffolkblue

Was that the beginnings of you supporting ITFC or are you here as a guest fan?

No I'm not here as a guest but as a Town fan. I grew up watching Chelmsford City who in the late 60s were one of the best non league sides and deserved to get in the Football League. Even as a kid I had a soft spot for Town which took hold when I moved to Suffolk in the early 1990s.
On this day in 1973... on 09:57 - Jan 15 with 2405 viewsAtmosphere

On this day in 1973... on 22:55 - Jan 14 by BlueBadger

Given your username, do you have any thoughts on the kind of parties you prefer?

Perhaps my username takes a bow to my musical leanings during my formative years.
On this day in 1973... on 09:59 - Jan 15 with 2394 viewsBlueBadger

On this day in 1973... on 09:57 - Jan 15 by Atmosphere

Perhaps my username takes a bow to my musical leanings during my formative years.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

On this day in 1973... on 10:15 - Jan 15 with 2373 viewsbracknell_blue

I was at that game - living in Braintree at the time it was relatively easy to get to. I was 16 and a quiet lad, so I kept clear of the trouble. I had been to Chelmsford a few times as some guys in my class were City fans, and knew their hard core were pretty tasty and liked a good scrap. Got my ticket from my best mate, who did a milk round with Vic Gomersall, the Chelmsford captain. My mate had to promise him it wasn't for an Ipswich fan - he was very good liar.
I left just before the end so only heard Chelmsford's goal, which seemed to energise their fans. Just got my train, had to make the connection at Witham when Braintree was a shuttle service.

Poll: Should Thatcher have a state funeral

On this day in 1973... on 15:05 - Jan 15 with 2256 viewsColin_Viljoen

Is that Jeff Crane behind the copper with the dog??
On this day in 1973... on 15:26 - Jan 15 with 2228 viewsgainsboroughblue

On this day in 1973... on 15:05 - Jan 15 by Colin_Viljoen

Is that Jeff Crane behind the copper with the dog??

Definitely.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

On this day in 1973... on 15:33 - Jan 15 with 2207 viewsbrazil1982

On this day in 1973... on 09:07 - Jan 15 by DinnernotTea

The last time would've been Portsmouth at home 2003 as they got ambushed in the Drum and Monkey. That was carnage but can't remember anything high profile since. I know there's been a few scraps in that time but always low numbers.

Peterborough 2019 was all handbags and BTP/Social Media completely hyped that up.

I remember Arsenal being ambushed there in the mid 90s after their FA Cup win.
On this day in 1973... on 15:37 - Jan 15 with 2201 viewsbrazil1982

The last tie I witnessed aggro at a match was Morecambe v FC Halifax a couple of years back, FA Cup round 1. Not a large crowd but quite a few from Halifax (my local non league club) who decided to cause trouble, and apparently a load of Bury fans also turned up for a fight.

It was all very odd. Loads of police droughted in at the end.

The main reason for going was to sample the famous Morecambe pie. It was awful. Oh, and the match ended 0-0 too.
On this day in 1973... on 15:39 - Jan 15 with 2194 viewshype313

On this day in 1973... on 09:07 - Jan 15 by DinnernotTea

I was in there with some family members from Pompey, despite me wearing an Ipswich shirt got completely ambushed, I genuinely couldn't believe my own fans were trying to batter me! Despite me repeatedly saying look at my shirt ffs!

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

On this day in 1973... on 15:50 - Jan 15 with 2167 viewsgainsboroughblue

On this day in 1973... on 15:39 - Jan 15 by hype313

I was in there with some family members from Pompey, despite me wearing an Ipswich shirt got completely ambushed, I genuinely couldn't believe my own fans were trying to batter me! Despite me repeatedly saying look at my shirt ffs!

Surprised the Pompey lot didn't turn on you as well and accuse you of being bait!

On this day in 1973... on 15:52 - Jan 15 with 2153 viewshype313

On this day in 1973... on 15:50 - Jan 15 by gainsboroughblue

Surprised the Pompey lot didn't turn on you as well and accuse you of being bait!

They did say, we thought you were a friendly lot! I did say to them this isn't the best place to be drinking and tried to take them elsewhere but they never thought they would get ambushed!

It was quite sad though as my cousins daughter, who was only 12 at the time was so shaken she has never been back to a football match, hasn't set foot in Fratton Park.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

On this day in 1973... on 15:58 - Jan 15 with 2140 viewsgainsboroughblue

On this day in 1973... on 15:52 - Jan 15 by hype313

They did say, we thought you were a friendly lot! I did say to them this isn't the best place to be drinking and tried to take them elsewhere but they never thought they would get ambushed!

It was quite sad though as my cousins daughter, who was only 12 at the time was so shaken she has never been back to a football match, hasn't set foot in Fratton Park.

There had been trouble between the two sets of fans before. In 86-87, there was bother at PR and Fratton Park. Can remember watching the battle start as I walked up PR towards where the Sir Alf statue is now.

The game here coincided with CCTV being deployed and resulted in several people having an enforced hiatus.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024