Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Musical blindspots : advice thread 01:48 - Jan 16 with 543 viewsvapour_trail

I have limited exposure but love everything I hear by Roy Ayers.

Where do I begin?

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Musical blindspots : advice thread on 07:54 - Jan 16 with 459 viewsbluefunk

Not claiming to be any kind of Roy Ayers expert here, just a view that there’s quite a difference between his “vibe heavy” output (the album Red Black & Green is an example) and the jazz funk classics like Runnin’ Away. I’d say take 3 or 4 of the songs you like, find the albums they came from and listen to those and see which direction they take you in. Any of the streaming services will have plenty to keep you occupied.
Musical blindspots : advice thread on 09:31 - Jan 16 with 424 viewsCoastalblue

Musical blindspots : advice thread on 07:54 - Jan 16 by bluefunk

Not claiming to be any kind of Roy Ayers expert here, just a view that there’s quite a difference between his “vibe heavy” output (the album Red Black & Green is an example) and the jazz funk classics like Runnin’ Away. I’d say take 3 or 4 of the songs you like, find the albums they came from and listen to those and see which direction they take you in. Any of the streaming services will have plenty to keep you occupied.

Good advice, he really does have quite the varied output. My favourite abum is Vibrations but it's hard to reccomend an album because there is such a difference between a lot of his stuff.

This is not a bad article

https://thevinylfactory.com/features/introduction-roy-ayers-10-records/

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Musical blindspots : advice thread on 10:15 - Jan 16 with 407 viewsGlasgowBlue

Destination Motherland: The Roy Ayers Anthology.

That would be my recommendation.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Musical blindspots : advice thread on 10:28 - Jan 16 with 392 viewsGlasgowBlue

Musical blindspots : advice thread on 07:54 - Jan 16 by bluefunk

I’d also recommend his side projects with Sylvia Striplin, Bobbi Humphrey, Ethel Beatty and 80’s Ladies.

Edit. I recall you saying you’re a big fan of a Giles Peterson. His Roy Ayers 75th birthday mix in Mixcloud is very good.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2021 11:48]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Musical blindspots : advice thread on 12:22 - Jan 16 with 352 viewsvapour_trail

Cheers guys.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024