Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Soul America - If you are looking for something to watch 11:20 - Jan 16 with 559 viewsKeno

I can recommend Soul America on BBC Iplayer. A history of Soul music in the US

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000m7h1/soul-america-series-1-1-amazing-g

As an aside I had forgotten until a recent countryfile (yes I know that a random link but welcome to my world) one of the origins of soul/gosoel/blues etc can ne found in the ancient art of Gaelic Pslam singing as practiced in the Highlands and Islands and taken to the States in the 1700/1800's by people from there fleeing the clearances

[Post edited 16 Jan 2021 11:59]

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Soul America - If you are looking for something to watch on 11:30 - Jan 16 with 536 viewsbluefunk

There was a programme on Gospel music several years ago which tried to link Gospels “call and response” style to Gaelic singing, and as one black musician said “they’re even trying to take away our music” I think that’s about right, and for further evidence, watch Aretha Franklin’s Amazing Grace film, also on IPlayer and tell me she and the other participants have anything in common with Gaelic singers beyond the fact their both using their voices
Soul America - If you are looking for something to watch on 11:38 - Jan 16 with 518 viewsKeno

Soul America - If you are looking for something to watch on 11:30 - Jan 16 by bluefunk

There was a programme on Gospel music several years ago which tried to link Gospels “call and response” style to Gaelic singing, and as one black musician said “they’re even trying to take away our music” I think that’s about right, and for further evidence, watch Aretha Franklin’s Amazing Grace film, also on IPlayer and tell me she and the other participants have anything in common with Gaelic singers beyond the fact their both using their voices

I know its one of those 'areas of contention' in music

A few years ago I Billy Connolly did a things travelling across the southern states. He was talking to some black musicians and while mucking about with a mandolin took an Irish folk song form the original to a well know negro spiritual.

I think there was call and response within African music but its also quite possible that the music of the the poor immigrants also influenced the music of their poorer neighbours.

Its harder to accept that didn't happen

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Soul America - If you are looking for something to watch on 11:46 - Jan 16 with 505 viewsbluefunk

Soul America - If you are looking for something to watch on 11:38 - Jan 16 by Keno

A few years ago I Billy Connolly did a things travelling across the southern states. He was talking to some black musicians and while mucking about with a mandolin took an Irish folk song form the original to a well know negro spiritual.

I think there was call and response within African music but its also quite possible that the music of the the poor immigrants also influenced the music of their poorer neighbours.

If anyone really wanted to find a link it’s likely in the religious element, slave owners forcing their slaves to follow Christianity and sing hymns etc. I guess there’s common threads in music right across the globe, but I do get the anger from black musicians when it’s implied their music is white in origin.
Soul America - If you are looking for something to watch on 11:57 - Jan 16 with 488 viewsfactual_blue

Soul America - If you are looking for something to watch on 11:38 - Jan 16 by Keno

Indeed. Irish, Scotch, Mexican and German music permeates the music of the southern states.

I think both RIch Hall and Reginald D Hunter have also fronted documentaries about the various forms of music from that part of the world

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Soul America - If you are looking for something to watch on 12:29 - Jan 16 with 439 viewsjaykay

Soul America - If you are looking for something to watch on 11:57 - Jan 16 by factual_blue

Indeed. Irish, Scotch, Mexican and German music permeates the music of the southern states.

I think both RIch Hall and Reginald D Hunter have also fronted documentaries about the various forms of music from that part of the world

i also think cajun music from the south of the u.s.a. has all the elements of irish and scottish folks well as its main french back ground. e.g. the fiddle and squeeze box

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024