Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
400,000 Police records lost 23:49 - Jan 16 with 1978 viewsRocky

Not sure if this has been covered, but how could that number of records - including DNA, fingerprint records etc - be wiped off at a stroke from the Police National Computer?
This is surely more than a just a slip of the finger?
Surely, this would need a whole chain of mistakes to happen?
[Post edited 16 Jan 2021 23:50]
400,000 Police records lost on 00:00 - Jan 17 with 1926 viewsCoastalblue

Ghost In The Machine?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

400,000 Police records lost on 00:06 - Jan 17 with 1912 viewstractordownsouth

Thank goodness Diane Abbott isn't Home Secretary and we've got someone competent like Priti Pa....

Balls

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

400,000 Police records lost on 00:12 - Jan 17 with 1900 viewsRocky

400,000 Police records lost on 00:06 - Jan 17 by tractordownsouth

Thank goodness Diane Abbott isn't Home Secretary and we've got someone competent like Priti Pa....

Balls

No doubt she'll follow recent trends of fellow cabinet bloopers and resign over this....
400,000 Police records lost on 08:35 - Jan 17 with 1782 viewsChurchman

Balls

I doubt Patel lost them personally or it’d have made any difference if King Arthur was Minister, but ultimately she is accountable.

As it goes, I always found Home Office most peculiarly organised. Bit of a shambles really and has been for at least 10 years. It should have been reorganised years ago.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2021 8:45]
400,000 Police records lost on 08:52 - Jan 17 with 1755 viewsPendejo

Does seem a !little suspicious.

Also I am definitely no expert but don't large organisations have back up copies?
When I worked in insurance and was involved in systems development our records were backed up electronically and also to microfiche (does that even exist anymore?)

So who'd be responsible?
Chinese, Russians, Narcotics Dealers Anonymous, Trump?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

400,000 Police records lost on 09:17 - Jan 17 with 1720 viewsElderGrizzly

Maybe the Police lost these records too...

400,000 Police records lost on 09:29 - Jan 17 with 1694 viewsPlums

400,000 Police records lost on 08:52 - Jan 17 by Pendejo

Does seem a !little suspicious.

Also I am definitely no expert but don't large organisations have back up copies?
When I worked in insurance and was involved in systems development our records were backed up electronically and also to microfiche (does that even exist anymore?)

So who'd be responsible?
Chinese, Russians, Narcotics Dealers Anonymous, Trump?

It’s bizarre that a file restore doesn’t sort this out. It’s also likely to be a contravention of the Cilvil Contingencies Act which requires critical national infrastructure to have robust plans for disruption.
Having said that, I’ve worked in business continuity and disaster recovery for many years and can remember a police force telling my old employer when we enquired about DR testing that they didn’t do it because they ‘lose data’. We took that to mean they had no test environments so had to run any tests against production which is also extremely odd.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

400,000 Police records lost on 11:37 - Jan 17 with 1609 viewsBlueBadger

Presumably, some IT bloke slipped and dropped the hard drives whilst he was carrying them downstairs...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

400,000 Police records lost on 11:45 - Jan 17 with 1597 viewslongtimefan

400,000 Police records lost on 09:29 - Jan 17 by Plums

It’s bizarre that a file restore doesn’t sort this out. It’s also likely to be a contravention of the Cilvil Contingencies Act which requires critical national infrastructure to have robust plans for disruption.
Having said that, I’ve worked in business continuity and disaster recovery for many years and can remember a police force telling my old employer when we enquired about DR testing that they didn’t do it because they ‘lose data’. We took that to mean they had no test environments so had to run any tests against production which is also extremely odd.

I’d assume since a lot the data collected by the Police isn’t lawfully allowed to be held beyond certain dates and conditions, would having a back-up of that particular data be legal?? Although this deletion has happened by mistake, I suppose it’s could be somewhat reassuring that data that should be deleted can’t just be retrieved on a whim.
400,000 Police records lost on 12:08 - Jan 17 with 1568 viewsjeera

400,000 Police records lost on 11:45 - Jan 17 by longtimefan

I’d assume since a lot the data collected by the Police isn’t lawfully allowed to be held beyond certain dates and conditions, would having a back-up of that particular data be legal?? Although this deletion has happened by mistake, I suppose it’s could be somewhat reassuring that data that should be deleted can’t just be retrieved on a whim.

Although equally you'd like to think it wouldn't be beyond their capability to be able to store those categories separately and deal with them accordingly.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

400,000 Police records lost on 13:14 - Jan 17 with 1519 viewsjaykay

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

400,000 Police records lost on 13:24 - Jan 17 with 1503 viewsfactual_blue

When something broadly comparable happened ten or more years ago at DWP, the Permanent Secretary instantly resigned.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

400,000 Police records lost on 13:32 - Jan 17 with 1479 viewsMonkeyAlan

Balls

Priti Patel is a good egg really.
400,000 Police records lost on 13:34 - Jan 17 with 1478 viewsm14_blue

400,000 Police records lost on 13:32 - Jan 17 by MonkeyAlan

Priti Patel is a good egg really.

Remember when you called Spruce a repetitive bore?
400,000 Police records lost on 13:39 - Jan 17 with 1469 viewsChurchman

400,000 Police records lost on 13:24 - Jan 17 by factual_blue

When something broadly comparable happened ten or more years ago at DWP, the Permanent Secretary instantly resigned.

Not quite. I think you are thinking of HMRCs child benefit details discs that held data for 23-26 million people. The discs were thought to have been sent to a 3rd party in Oct 2007. HMRCs Perm Sec Paul Gray resigned immediately.

The Home Office failure is about deleting so there is not a threat of personal details going into the public domain. How the details have been wiped, I’ve no idea not least because I’ve no idea how they are stored. Normally in gov info is stored and backed up just as with the private sector.
400,000 Police records lost on 13:50 - Jan 17 with 1440 viewsrgp1

Are the majority lost called walking on the moon?
400,000 Police records lost on 14:06 - Jan 17 with 1422 viewsfactual_blue

400,000 Police records lost on 13:39 - Jan 17 by Churchman

Not quite. I think you are thinking of HMRCs child benefit details discs that held data for 23-26 million people. The discs were thought to have been sent to a 3rd party in Oct 2007. HMRCs Perm Sec Paul Gray resigned immediately.

The Home Office failure is about deleting so there is not a threat of personal details going into the public domain. How the details have been wiped, I’ve no idea not least because I’ve no idea how they are stored. Normally in gov info is stored and backed up just as with the private sector.

You're right. It was HMRC, not DWP.

I remember thinking at the time (and other colleagues agreed) 'if I'd had to get that data to London from Newcastle, I'd have strapped the discs to my torso and travelled down on the train myself with them.

I don't think they were actually sent to a third party, they were lost by the Highly Competent Private Sector courier firm used by HMRC. I recall my boss (a former BT accountant) at the time remarking that if he were the Perm Sec involved, he'd have had stories planted in the media every week until the courier firm was driven out of business.

Paul Gray is a Leicester-supporting keeper of sheep.

400,000 Police records lost on 16:10 - Jan 17 with 1356 viewsfactual_blue

400,000 Police records lost on 11:45 - Jan 17 by longtimefan

There are different rules for data pertaining to crime.

400,000 Police records lost on 16:27 - Jan 17 with 1350 viewsChurchman

400,000 Police records lost on 14:06 - Jan 17 by factual_blue

You're right. It was HMRC, not DWP.

I remember thinking at the time (and other colleagues agreed) 'if I'd had to get that data to London from Newcastle, I'd have strapped the discs to my torso and travelled down on the train myself with them.

I don't think they were actually sent to a third party, they were lost by the Highly Competent Private Sector courier firm used by HMRC. I recall my boss (a former BT accountant) at the time remarking that if he were the Perm Sec involved, he'd have had stories planted in the media every week until the courier firm was driven out of business.

Paul Gray is a Leicester-supporting keeper of sheep.

They were allegedly sent to the National Audit office by TNT. Because of where I worked at the time I was heavily involved with the aftermath and dealing with it at the time so cannot go too much into it on this forum.

What I will say is that Paul Gray was a really lovely bloke and I felt sorry for him when he went. He cared about the job, was very grounded and had a good balanced approach. He’d not been in the job that long and knew there was much to do, but as head honcho, he was ultimately accountable. Shame a few politicians I can think of before and since haven’t done the same!

There were plenty of others in HMRC at the time that should have gone, but in reality there was really only one other that did go and he shall remain nameless. They were extraordinary times. Given that my last job was working on Brexit, I began to feel like Uncle Albert by the time I finished!
[Post edited 17 Jan 2021 17:19]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024