Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More Tory culture war nonsense 08:22 - Jan 17 with 4810 viewsHerbivore

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55693020

This bit in particular is impressive:

"Mr Jenrick added that he had noticed an attempt to set a narrative which seeks to erase part of the nation's history, saying this was "at the hand of the flash mob, or by the decree of a 'cultural committee' of town hall militants and woke worthies"."

Mob, militants, 'woke' people. Not really the kind of language that a cabinet minister should be using about people that he and his party should at least be pretending to govern for and represent. The constant description of BLM protestors as a 'mob' is dog whistle racism at its finest. The notion that those who think slavery was bad are 'woke' and a threat to our history, when actually things like the Colston statue incident actually made more people aware of a portion of our history, is utterly ridiculous. This use of woke as an insult is also pretty pathetic, when generally it's applied mainly to be people who think things like racism and homophobia are bad.

Down with Robert Jenrick (another who manages to stand out as deeply awful and unimpressive amongst the worst cabinet we've ever had), down with the Tory government, and down with anyone who voted for them.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

More Tory culture war nonsense on 08:50 - Jan 17 with 1956 viewsm14_blue

They’re pathetic.

They literally have nothing positive to offer about anything and, now we’ve left the EU, their only plan is to create another bogeyman to keep their supporters living in a state of constant paranoid fear. Enter ‘the left’, woke mobs who want to destroy everything British.

It’s easy to feel contempt for everyone that voted for them but really they’re just easily manipulated and scared of a non existent enemy. The media keeps them scared and they can’t even see how much happier they’d be if they weren’t being groomed.
More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:01 - Jan 17 with 1917 viewsHerbivore

More Tory culture war nonsense on 08:50 - Jan 17 by m14_blue

They’re pathetic.

They literally have nothing positive to offer about anything and, now we’ve left the EU, their only plan is to create another bogeyman to keep their supporters living in a state of constant paranoid fear. Enter ‘the left’, woke mobs who want to destroy everything British.

It’s easy to feel contempt for everyone that voted for them but really they’re just easily manipulated and scared of a non existent enemy. The media keeps them scared and they can’t even see how much happier they’d be if they weren’t being groomed.

You'd rather have hoped that after witnessing the storming of the Capitol the other day that the Tories might have questioned whether stoking a civil war is really the best way to go. It seems they're taking the gamble that low levels of gun ownership in the UK mean things probably won't get quite as nasty here.

Frankly though I'm sure plenty of people are starting to get pretty tired of being demonised for thinking racism is bad and that poor people deserve support. At some point the tensions this government is stoking will spill over and the more brazen they are in their contempt for most of the population the worse it will get.

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:04 - Jan 17 with 1908 viewsm14_blue

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:01 - Jan 17 by Herbivore

You'd rather have hoped that after witnessing the storming of the Capitol the other day that the Tories might have questioned whether stoking a civil war is really the best way to go. It seems they're taking the gamble that low levels of gun ownership in the UK mean things probably won't get quite as nasty here.

Frankly though I'm sure plenty of people are starting to get pretty tired of being demonised for thinking racism is bad and that poor people deserve support. At some point the tensions this government is stoking will spill over and the more brazen they are in their contempt for most of the population the worse it will get.

Spot on.
More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:14 - Jan 17 with 1897 viewslowhouseblue

planning permission and consultation with the local community before a monument in a public place is moved seems very sensible to me. so let the abuse commence.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:17 - Jan 17 with 1868 viewsHerbivore

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:14 - Jan 17 by lowhouseblue

planning permission and consultation with the local community before a monument in a public place is moved seems very sensible to me. so let the abuse commence.

Point wilfully and spectacularly missed as ever. You're basically Paz without capital letters these days.

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:20 - Jan 17 with 1849 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Wake up Lowhouse!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:21 - Jan 17 with 1842 viewslowhouseblue

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:17 - Jan 17 by Herbivore

Point wilfully and spectacularly missed as ever. You're basically Paz without capital letters these days.

i read the linked article about what was actually proposed rather than your hysterical straw manning. what is proposed is very sensible - a proper process for the local community to decide if something should go or stay. the rest, i'm afraid, is in your rather fetid imagination.

but you don't intend these threads to discuss stuff, they just exist so that you can shout abuse at people, so I will leave you to it.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:21 - Jan 17 with 1834 viewsm14_blue

Jesus Christ lowhouse, I think Corbyn has broken you.

Has seeing what happens across the pond when you willfully ignore the perpetuation of a culture war by the government not made you think twice?
Login to get fewer ads

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:22 - Jan 17 with 1821 viewsHerbivore

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:20 - Jan 17 by BanksterDebtSlave

Wake up Lowhouse!

You cannot make a blind man see.

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:23 - Jan 17 with 1809 viewsm14_blue

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:21 - Jan 17 by lowhouseblue

i read the linked article about what was actually proposed rather than your hysterical straw manning. what is proposed is very sensible - a proper process for the local community to decide if something should go or stay. the rest, i'm afraid, is in your rather fetid imagination.

but you don't intend these threads to discuss stuff, they just exist so that you can shout abuse at people, so I will leave you to it.

You’ve got this so wrong.

So very, very wrong.

If you can’t see what they’re doing then you’re nowhere near as bright as you come across, if you can see what they’re doing but you’re choosing to ignore it because of your contempt for the left then you’re a really big part of the problem.
More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:24 - Jan 17 with 1805 viewsHerbivore

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:21 - Jan 17 by lowhouseblue

Hysterical straw manning? Using someone's actual words is hysterical straw manning now? Utterly pathetic from you, but I've come not to expect any better. Off you trot.

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:25 - Jan 17 with 1797 viewsHerbivore

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:23 - Jan 17 by m14_blue

You’ve got this so wrong.

So very, very wrong.

If you can’t see what they’re doing then you’re nowhere near as bright as you come across, if you can see what they’re doing but you’re choosing to ignore it because of your contempt for the left then you’re a really big part of the problem.

At this point it is wilful on his part and really quite pernicious.

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:38 - Jan 17 with 1756 views26_Paz

Exactly. Government in attempt to prevent criminal damage shocker ... the b@stards.
I was going to leave this thread alone because as you say it will only lead to abuse but just wanted to add my voice to the common sense argument.
To be clear the government aren’t saying that statues can no longer be removed. They are saying that if you want to remove them you can’t just get a mob together and tear them down. You have to go through the appropriate legal process.

The Paz Man

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:40 - Jan 17 with 1745 viewsHerbivore

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:38 - Jan 17 by 26_Paz

Exactly. Government in attempt to prevent criminal damage shocker ... the b@stards.
I was going to leave this thread alone because as you say it will only lead to abuse but just wanted to add my voice to the common sense argument.
To be clear the government aren’t saying that statues can no longer be removed. They are saying that if you want to remove them you can’t just get a mob together and tear them down. You have to go through the appropriate legal process.

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:41 - Jan 17 with 1745 viewsm14_blue

Do you understand the concept of a culture war?

Jenrick’s final contribution is a classic example of it. Dividing the nation in two, turning people against each other, is in no one’s best interests except for the people seeking to divide and rule (and evade scrutiny on the actual issues).
More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:43 - Jan 17 with 1737 viewsSwansea_Blue

Having these new rules would have made no difference to the Colston statue. There are already laws in place to try to prevent criminal damage - indeed several of the protestors were convicted under them.

It’s petty nonsense playing to their base to distract from their horrendous handling of covid, Brexit, immigration strategy, we well pretty much everything else. And it works as we’ve seen on this thread.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:43 - Jan 17 with 1736 viewsRadioOrwell

They went through the proper procedures to remove it for years and years and were repeatedly ignored.
More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:44 - Jan 17 with 1737 viewsSomethingBlue

All they want to do is ensure people are kept angry, upset and/or frightened. They have nothing else. I'm sure we will see Ipswich's MP wading in with his approval soon enough.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2021 9:45]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:46 - Jan 17 with 1715 viewsHerbivore

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:43 - Jan 17 by Swansea_Blue

Having these new rules would have made no difference to the Colston statue. There are already laws in place to try to prevent criminal damage - indeed several of the protestors were convicted under them.

It’s petty nonsense playing to their base to distract from their horrendous handling of covid, Brexit, immigration strategy, we well pretty much everything else. And it works as we’ve seen on this thread.

Indeed. Patsies like Paz and lowhouse are lapping this up whilst blissfully ignorant of how they're being manipulated and how the Tories are deliberately stoking division.

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:47 - Jan 17 with 1708 viewsMattinLondon

You were never going to leave this thread along were you? You wanted your say and then attempt to play the victim by alluding to any ‘abuse’ you might well get.

It’s not just you who do this - other quite prolific posters do the same - it’s all rather pathetic.

Apologies to Herbivore for sort of not adding to your post directly.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2021 9:54]
More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:52 - Jan 17 with 1690 viewsSwansea_Blue

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:43 - Jan 17 by RadioOrwell

They went through the proper procedures to remove it for years and years and were repeatedly ignored.

Plus Jenrick’s obviously wide of the mark when he says “To tear them down ... [is] 'to lie about our history'. It is to denigrate and distort our past, rather than to educate, inform and unite people.”

It’s the complete opposite. The ‘woke’ did more to educate and inform people on this subject last year than Jenrick has ever done. And didn’t the statue end up in the local museum as part of a display on slaver history?

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:53 - Jan 17 with 1682 viewsHerbivore

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:52 - Jan 17 by Swansea_Blue

Plus Jenrick’s obviously wide of the mark when he says “To tear them down ... [is] 'to lie about our history'. It is to denigrate and distort our past, rather than to educate, inform and unite people.”

It’s the complete opposite. The ‘woke’ did more to educate and inform people on this subject last year than Jenrick has ever done. And didn’t the statue end up in the local museum as part of a display on slaver history?

Yes but it's not educating people about the right history.

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:56 - Jan 17 with 1664 viewsEwan_Oozami

Reiterating an already existing process is not Government, it is "Know your place, proles" propaganda and should be seen as such....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

More Tory culture war nonsense on 10:18 - Jan 17 with 1619 viewsSwansea_Blue

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:53 - Jan 17 by Herbivore

Yes but it's not educating people about the right history.

That’s part of the problem. These nationalist populists don’t want to admit that the world is complex and we did both bad and good stuff in the past. Anyone who dares point this out is a traitor. Someone coined a phrase about it: Ladybird book history. Everything was all nice and sunny in the past, with lashings of lemonade. I can’t remember who it was now, but sounds like something Rafael Behr would say.

More Tory culture war nonsense on 10:28 - Jan 17 with 1597 viewstractordownsouth

"Woke" is just a catch all term for anything that right-wingers don't like but can't articulate why they don't like it - it's meaningless. On twitter I've seen numerous stuff described as woke - Sadiq Khan's fireworks with an NHS and EU logo, a Tory MP sending a tweet condemning homophobia, Labour and Marcus Rashford voicing concern over the free school meal stuff.

The irony of this is that the same people who talk how about right wing genuine concerns should be taken seriously, are the same ones that dismiss any left wing worries as "woke."

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024