Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More Tory culture war nonsense 08:22 - Jan 17 with 4824 viewsHerbivore

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55693020

This bit in particular is impressive:

"Mr Jenrick added that he had noticed an attempt to set a narrative which seeks to erase part of the nation's history, saying this was "at the hand of the flash mob, or by the decree of a 'cultural committee' of town hall militants and woke worthies"."

Mob, militants, 'woke' people. Not really the kind of language that a cabinet minister should be using about people that he and his party should at least be pretending to govern for and represent. The constant description of BLM protestors as a 'mob' is dog whistle racism at its finest. The notion that those who think slavery was bad are 'woke' and a threat to our history, when actually things like the Colston statue incident actually made more people aware of a portion of our history, is utterly ridiculous. This use of woke as an insult is also pretty pathetic, when generally it's applied mainly to be people who think things like racism and homophobia are bad.

Down with Robert Jenrick (another who manages to stand out as deeply awful and unimpressive amongst the worst cabinet we've ever had), down with the Tory government, and down with anyone who voted for them.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:23 - Jan 17 with 1232 viewsleitrimblue

I completely agree with the line 'Britain should not try to edit or censor it's past'. Perhaps we could have a famine induced genocide day when we celebrate the millions killed by famine under British rule in India and Ireland? Or
perhaps a murder of unarmed civilian's by our brave British soldiers statue celebrating Croke park, bloody Sunday or the Amritsar massacre? My personal favorite would be a stamp depicting how the UK was first permanently populated by small bands of European Mesolithic Hunter gatherers and how our genetics and earliest history and culture is shared with the rest of Northern Europe
More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:29 - Jan 17 with 1215 viewslowhouseblue

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:15 - Jan 17 by m14_blue

“I read the linked article about what was actually proposed rather than your hysterical straw manning. what is proposed is very sensible - a proper process for the local community to decide if something should go or stay. the rest, i'm afraid, is in your rather fetid imagination.”

I’d say that’s a view on the OP to be honest. Anyway, you do you.

"what is proposed is very sensible - a proper process for the local community to decide if something should go or stay". i'm content with that thanks.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:29 - Jan 17 with 1216 viewseireblue

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:11 - Jan 17 by lowhouseblue

what was the process before tower hamlets removed the statute of robert milligan? from the reporting it seems that there was no process. (this is just an example from a very quick google search and i'm not expressing a view on the rights and wrongs of that removal).

“The removal came after the Canal and River Trust charity, which owns the land where the statue was located, said it would organise its “safe removal” following a petition launched by local Labour councillor Ehtasham Haque.”

And why should a Minister get a veto?

Seems that democratically local elected councils are following due process and responding to the thoughts of locals.

Not entirely sure why there needs to be new laws, with a ministerial veto. If statues are currently being removed by democratically elected councils responding to the community.
I can’t see any wide spread misuse of statues local councils.

Could there be another reason behind introducing unnecessary legislation, with a ministerial veto?

Statue endeared by local lefty council giving into baying woke hoards overturned by the the Tory Minister preserving all that is great about British history and tradition.

Hmmmmm......
More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:30 - Jan 17 with 1218 viewsGuthrum

More Tory culture war nonsense on 10:28 - Jan 17 by tractordownsouth

"Woke" is just a catch all term for anything that right-wingers don't like but can't articulate why they don't like it - it's meaningless. On twitter I've seen numerous stuff described as woke - Sadiq Khan's fireworks with an NHS and EU logo, a Tory MP sending a tweet condemning homophobia, Labour and Marcus Rashford voicing concern over the free school meal stuff.

The irony of this is that the same people who talk how about right wing genuine concerns should be taken seriously, are the same ones that dismiss any left wing worries as "woke."

Any UK politician who uses that word as an insult should immediately be sacked, recalled and never voted for again. It's just a coded version of "Libtard" and implies in the speaker a distain for any form of empathy or compassion.

If our politicians lack those virtues, then how are they going to take care of our lives and livelihoods?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:32 - Jan 17 with 1201 viewslowhouseblue

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:29 - Jan 17 by eireblue

“The removal came after the Canal and River Trust charity, which owns the land where the statue was located, said it would organise its “safe removal” following a petition launched by local Labour councillor Ehtasham Haque.”

Seems that democratically local elected councils are following due process and responding to the thoughts of locals.

Not entirely sure why there needs to be new laws, with a ministerial veto. If statues are currently being removed by democratically elected councils responding to the community.

Could there be another reason behind introducing unnecessary legislation, with a ministerial veto?

Statue endeared by local lefty council giving into baying woke hoards overturned by the the Tory Minister preserving all that is great about British history and tradition.

Hmmmmm......

you think a petition is due process? really?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:34 - Jan 17 with 1187 views26_Paz

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:32 - Jan 17 by lowhouseblue

As you said at the start there really is just no point. They have just proved your point and reverted to abuse. They are incredibly blinkered but they just can’t see it.

The Paz Man

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:34 - Jan 17 with 1191 viewsm14_blue

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:29 - Jan 17 by lowhouseblue

"what is proposed is very sensible - a proper process for the local community to decide if something should go or stay". i'm content with that thanks.

Jesus wept.

You must realise that when you have to resort to being so disingenuous that you don’t really have an argument. What I don’t understand is why you’re doing it, I don’t even think you really disagree with most people on this yet you’re taking this weird line.

It’s bizarre.
More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:34 - Jan 17 with 1198 viewsGuthrum

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:23 - Jan 17 by leitrimblue

I completely agree with the line 'Britain should not try to edit or censor it's past'. Perhaps we could have a famine induced genocide day when we celebrate the millions killed by famine under British rule in India and Ireland? Or
perhaps a murder of unarmed civilian's by our brave British soldiers statue celebrating Croke park, bloody Sunday or the Amritsar massacre? My personal favorite would be a stamp depicting how the UK was first permanently populated by small bands of European Mesolithic Hunter gatherers and how our genetics and earliest history and culture is shared with the rest of Northern Europe

That's it, really. They themselves are promoting a bowdlerised and jingoistic - in reality downright inaccurate - version of the nation's history.

Login to get fewer ads

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:38 - Jan 17 with 1172 viewseireblue

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:32 - Jan 17 by lowhouseblue

It is one council that you have found.

That was asked to remove the statue, by a charity, after a petition.

The council did not decide to remove it.

So there is no widespread evidence that councils are initiating and removing statues without consultation.

Why does the process need a ministerial veto?
More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:38 - Jan 17 with 1174 viewsGuthrum

More Tory culture war nonsense on 09:14 - Jan 17 by lowhouseblue

planning permission and consultation with the local community before a monument in a public place is moved seems very sensible to me. so let the abuse commence.

The irony in Colston's case being that a large section of the local community (and council) had been trying to get the statue removed for years, blocked by a few powerful groups.

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:40 - Jan 17 with 1163 viewsSpruceMoose

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:34 - Jan 17 by 26_Paz

As you said at the start there really is just no point. They have just proved your point and reverted to abuse. They are incredibly blinkered but they just can’t see it.

Still desperately searching for a mate to back you up I see? I'd move on. Lowhouse may be wrong a lot, but he's nowhere near being in the sane category as you.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:40 - Jan 17 with 1166 viewslowhouseblue

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:34 - Jan 17 by m14_blue

Jesus wept.

You must realise that when you have to resort to being so disingenuous that you don’t really have an argument. What I don’t understand is why you’re doing it, I don’t even think you really disagree with most people on this yet you’re taking this weird line.

It’s bizarre.

the line i'm taking is that it's right have a democratic and transparent local process to discuss and decide upon monuments in public spaces. what was proposed in the article therefore seems sensible. what bit of that is weird?

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:43 - Jan 17 with 1158 viewseireblue

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:34 - Jan 17 by 26_Paz

I haven’t abused Lowhouse.

I have asked him some questions.

If you are going to accuse people of abuse have the decency and courage to state who is doing the abuse, or report the person using the abuse button.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2021 12:45]
More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:43 - Jan 17 with 1161 viewslowhouseblue

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:38 - Jan 17 by Guthrum

The irony in Colston's case being that a large section of the local community (and council) had been trying to get the statue removed for years, blocked by a few powerful groups.

but opinion is often going to be divided in a community. a proper process won't always lead to removal. perhaps the process in bristol was flawed and it wasn't transparent or responsive to the majority local view - if so that actually reinforces the case for having an established and legally robust process that must be followed.

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:48 - Jan 17 with 1140 viewsm14_blue

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:40 - Jan 17 by lowhouseblue

the line i'm taking is that it's right have a democratic and transparent local process to discuss and decide upon monuments in public spaces. what was proposed in the article therefore seems sensible. what bit of that is weird?

Most people would understand that, and many (including me) would agree with it.

The controversial bit of your posts, which you keep omitting from your quotes, was the aggressive rebuttal of Herbivore’s comments about a culture war. Now you accept the language was unnecessarily inflammatory and not befitting of a government minister it seems that you probably agree with him after all, that’s what’s weird.

I know you find ‘the left’ posters on here annoying but they really aren’t the enemy.
More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:49 - Jan 17 with 1134 viewseireblue

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:43 - Jan 17 by lowhouseblue

but opinion is often going to be divided in a community. a proper process won't always lead to removal. perhaps the process in bristol was flawed and it wasn't transparent or responsive to the majority local view - if so that actually reinforces the case for having an established and legally robust process that must be followed.

Why the need for a Ministerial veto?
More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:50 - Jan 17 with 1133 viewsSwansea_Blue

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:30 - Jan 17 by Guthrum

Any UK politician who uses that word as an insult should immediately be sacked, recalled and never voted for again. It's just a coded version of "Libtard" and implies in the speaker a distain for any form of empathy or compassion.

If our politicians lack those virtues, then how are they going to take care of our lives and livelihoods?

They’re seemingly not interested in our lives and livelihoods (e.g. Covid response and Brexit, to give just two examples). But you’re right, we should expect better standards and there should be consequences for those who don’t meet them and do not serve us.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:50 - Jan 17 with 1136 viewsjaykay

not to worry , just seen this family have got their tory school lunch

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:56 - Jan 17 with 1107 viewslowhouseblue

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:48 - Jan 17 by m14_blue

Most people would understand that, and many (including me) would agree with it.

The controversial bit of your posts, which you keep omitting from your quotes, was the aggressive rebuttal of Herbivore’s comments about a culture war. Now you accept the language was unnecessarily inflammatory and not befitting of a government minister it seems that you probably agree with him after all, that’s what’s weird.

I know you find ‘the left’ posters on here annoying but they really aren’t the enemy.

i rebutted herbivore's stuff when he became abusive - as is always his way. i've said that jenrick using the word 'woke' was imflammatory stupid and divisive. but then equally the op claiming that the word 'mob' is racist is just hysterical nonsense.

to me the interesting bit was the government announcing a change to the planning process - which on the face of it i support.

herbivore is routinely abusive and he doesn't do reasoned discussion - so yes i responded to that.

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:58 - Jan 17 with 1101 viewslowhouseblue

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:49 - Jan 17 by eireblue

Why the need for a Ministerial veto?

some monuments also have national significance i guess. removing the churchill statue, for example, would seem to me to raise issues of national significance not just local.

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:59 - Jan 17 with 1106 viewsfactual_blue

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:34 - Jan 17 by Guthrum

That's it, really. They themselves are promoting a bowdlerised and jingoistic - in reality downright inaccurate - version of the nation's history.

mark francois would be REALLY upset if he read what proper historians have for decades been writing about the ability of British troops in WW2.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

More Tory culture war nonsense on 13:00 - Jan 17 with 1098 viewsm14_blue

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:56 - Jan 17 by lowhouseblue

i rebutted herbivore's stuff when he became abusive - as is always his way. i've said that jenrick using the word 'woke' was imflammatory stupid and divisive. but then equally the op claiming that the word 'mob' is racist is just hysterical nonsense.

to me the interesting bit was the government announcing a change to the planning process - which on the face of it i support.

herbivore is routinely abusive and he doesn't do reasoned discussion - so yes i responded to that.

Ok.

Jenrick’s use of that language is hardly a case of him going rogue though, it’s part of a pattern by the government and other Tory MP’s, they’re creating a culture war for their own ends.
More Tory culture war nonsense on 13:20 - Jan 17 with 1054 viewsHerbivore

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:29 - Jan 17 by lowhouseblue

Wilfully dishonest as well as wilfully blind-eyed it seems.

More Tory culture war nonsense on 13:22 - Jan 17 with 1050 viewsHerbivore

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:29 - Jan 17 by eireblue

Hmmmmm......

This is the sort of centralised government interference that Paz hates. I'm looking forward to him letting us know just how cross he is at the Tories for needlessly expanding state interference.

More Tory culture war nonsense on 13:22 - Jan 17 with 1056 viewsBlueBadger

More Tory culture war nonsense on 12:59 - Jan 17 by factual_blue

mark francois would be REALLY upset if he read what proper historians have for decades been writing about the ability of British troops in WW2.

Or, for that matter, what Spike Milligan had to say on the subject...
[Post edited 17 Jan 2021 14:02]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024