Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone with an interest in Nigeria 15:16 - Jan 17 with 746 viewsbluelagos

might find this worth a watch. Local army shooting of unarmed protesters protesting against police (SARS) brutality back in October. The evidence is fairly compelling but as ever, those responsible seem immune to being held accountable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-africa-55682375

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Anyone with an interest in Nigeria on 15:26 - Jan 17 with 710 viewsfabian_illness

Always been interested in your background with Nigeria, but never been rude enough to ask outright.
Anyone with an interest in Nigeria on 15:50 - Jan 17 with 683 viewsbluelagos

Anyone with an interest in Nigeria on 15:26 - Jan 17 by fabian_illness

Always been interested in your background with Nigeria, but never been rude enough to ask outright.

Will send a pm

Anyone with an interest in Nigeria on 16:01 - Jan 17 with 670 viewsjeera

Anyone with an interest in Nigeria on 15:50 - Jan 17 by bluelagos

Will send a pm

You never send me PMs.

Only emails claiming to be a relation.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Anyone with an interest in Nigeria on 16:03 - Jan 17 with 671 viewsjeera

I saw that and did note it didn't get a lot of coverage here.

I also noted there was [yet] another mass kidnapping recently, although thankfully I think a number of the victims were recovered.

Scary place mate,

Anyone with an interest in Nigeria on 16:27 - Jan 17 with 651 viewsbluelagos

Anyone with an interest in Nigeria on 16:03 - Jan 17 by jeera

I saw that and did note it didn't get a lot of coverage here.

I also noted there was [yet] another mass kidnapping recently, although thankfully I think a number of the victims were recovered.

Scary place mate,

Scary? Far worse places Jeera.

Statistically Kenya and Nairobi are way worse - but don't have the same reputation. Must be all those emails ;-)

Anyone with an interest in Nigeria on 16:33 - Jan 17 with 637 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I heard only last week Boko Haram raided another school killing 7 and kidnapping another 7.

Does that get a lot of coverage in the media there?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Anyone with an interest in Nigeria on 16:37 - Jan 17 with 624 viewsbluelagos

Anyone with an interest in Nigeria on 16:33 - Jan 17 by Nthsuffolkblue

I heard only last week Boko Haram raided another school killing 7 and kidnapping another 7.

Does that get a lot of coverage in the media there?

I'm in Suffolk mate. Not lived in Nigeria since Jan 2015.

But yeah, will be headline news of course.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2021 16:37]

Anyone with an interest in Nigeria on 16:38 - Jan 17 with 617 viewsjeera

Anyone with an interest in Nigeria on 16:27 - Jan 17 by bluelagos

Scary? Far worse places Jeera.

Statistically Kenya and Nairobi are way worse - but don't have the same reputation. Must be all those emails ;-)

I'd say anywhere where school children go missing by force of arms is a pretty scary place.

I don't know the ins and outs of that situation though and won't pretend to.

We will discuss it over a beer or 4 sometime I hope.

I had an old friend who worked in East Africa for 7 years, for a kid's charity. She was based in Nairobi but the work took her across a few countries around the Eastern side which included Somalia and time spent in Mogadishu itself. She would say it was intimidating at first but soon learnt there are rules one can live by.

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone with an interest in Nigeria on 16:44 - Jan 17 with 595 viewsbluelagos

Anyone with an interest in Nigeria on 16:38 - Jan 17 by jeera

I'd say anywhere where school children go missing by force of arms is a pretty scary place.

I don't know the ins and outs of that situation though and won't pretend to.

We will discuss it over a beer or 4 sometime I hope.

I had an old friend who worked in East Africa for 7 years, for a kid's charity. She was based in Nairobi but the work took her across a few countries around the Eastern side which included Somalia and time spent in Mogadishu itself. She would say it was intimidating at first but soon learnt there are rules one can live by.

Tbf - my view is very Lagos centric. Spent very little time in the North where BH operate.

But your friend's comments I would very much echo. Once you know what you are doing it is fine. Just need to be sensible and not take stupid risks.

Anyone with an interest in Nigeria on 17:02 - Jan 17 with 572 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Anyone with an interest in Nigeria on 16:44 - Jan 17 by bluelagos

Tbf - my view is very Lagos centric. Spent very little time in the North where BH operate.

But your friend's comments I would very much echo. Once you know what you are doing it is fine. Just need to be sensible and not take stupid risks.

Or not be a school child?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Anyone with an interest in Nigeria on 17:07 - Jan 17 with 562 viewsbluelagos

Anyone with an interest in Nigeria on 17:02 - Jan 17 by Nthsuffolkblue

Or not be a school child?

Listen Nigeria has it's problems. Clearly.

What annoys me is when expats over play the risk to them without recognising Nigerians have it worse, way worse.

So Police brutality, used to get plenty of police intimidation but was never shot at by them. Armed robberies, locals got it worse as they had no security to protect them. Malaria, expats had access to medicine and a driver to get them quickly to hospital, many Nigerians didn't. And fraud, biggest victims of Nigeria's infamous 419s are Nigerians. Always have been. And you make a valid point about the threat from BH.

So yeah, it is dangerous - but way, way more dangerous for the locals than a well protected expat (Which is the point I was trying to make)

Anyone with an interest in Nigeria on 17:14 - Jan 17 with 547 viewsElderGrizzly

I have team members in Port Harcourt and Abuja, so thanks for this.

I was in Lagos last year and until the virus hit, was off to see them mid-point last year.
Anyone with an interest in Nigeria on 18:15 - Jan 17 with 491 viewsjeera

Anyone with an interest in Nigeria on 17:07 - Jan 17 by bluelagos

Listen Nigeria has it's problems. Clearly.

What annoys me is when expats over play the risk to them without recognising Nigerians have it worse, way worse.

So Police brutality, used to get plenty of police intimidation but was never shot at by them. Armed robberies, locals got it worse as they had no security to protect them. Malaria, expats had access to medicine and a driver to get them quickly to hospital, many Nigerians didn't. And fraud, biggest victims of Nigeria's infamous 419s are Nigerians. Always have been. And you make a valid point about the threat from BH.

So yeah, it is dangerous - but way, way more dangerous for the locals than a well protected expat (Which is the point I was trying to make)

In that case, just to make sure there's no misunderstandings, I wasn't referring to us either.

I did mean the locals.

That makes much more sense all round now and am glad you spelled that out.

Anyone with an interest in Nigeria on 18:21 - Jan 17 with 484 viewsbluelagos

Anyone with an interest in Nigeria on 18:15 - Jan 17 by jeera

In that case, just to make sure there's no misunderstandings, I wasn't referring to us either.

I did mean the locals.

That makes much more sense all round now and am glad you spelled that out.

Can defo bore you over a beer. Remember to ask me about Tommy - possibly the most disturbing / funny / scary incident of all time. Just not suitable for a family forum.

Anyone with an interest in Nigeria on 18:22 - Jan 17 with 482 viewsjeera

Anyone with an interest in Nigeria on 18:21 - Jan 17 by bluelagos

Can defo bore you over a beer. Remember to ask me about Tommy - possibly the most disturbing / funny / scary incident of all time. Just not suitable for a family forum.

I shall look forward to the day it's possible.

Cheers in advance.

Anyone with an interest in Nigeria on 22:23 - Jan 17 with 409 viewsMillsey

Worked out there for 30 years you’d be surprised what doesn’t get into international news
Still loved it though 👍
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024