Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good win in the cricket 08:27 - Jan 18 with 520 viewsIpswichKnight

Good work from England knocking off the remaining runs this morning. 5 consecutive wins away from home now which is some going especially as this team was really under prepared.

Still some issues though, I don’t think Sibley has the technique to open in India he is offering an edge to left arm and leg spinners. What do you do if Lawrence scored 100’s and 50 between now and opening test in India can you drop him?

Think England might play 3 spinners in next test with Ali coming in for Curran, don’t think they will change the top 6. Anderson and Stone will open the bowling.
Good win in the cricket on 11:00 - Jan 18 with 444 viewsSaleAway

I think Sibley will get another chance in the next test... but if he fails then, you have a potential for Burns to return to the top in India... Crawley also has work to do as well, as also failed twice. On the plus side. Bairstow looked solid, Lawrence made a good start, and you still have stokes and Pope to come back for India, so there's good competition for batting places.

On the bowling front, spinners got better each day, which is definitely a bonus, as they needed to. We were lucky SL didn't turn up in the first innings. Pace bowlers were ok, although they didn't threaten, Broad and Curran did pick up a few wickets, and between them, they kept the RR under control, which is the main job on a pitch like that.

Be interesting to see if the weather picks up, and the ground dries out for the next test, if we might see some reverse, as there was no movement, natural or reverse for any of the pacers.

Should be noted that for us to win thefirtst test of a series, with only 1 day of warm up cricket, is a great effort though.

Should also be tempered with the knowledge that Sri lanka really aren't very good, and that a 2nd level india team is currently going toe to toe with Australia, so we're going to need ot go up a level if we want to compete in India

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Good win in the cricket on 11:27 - Jan 18 with 430 viewsIpswichKnight

Another 50 runs and it could have been a lot trickier. We are helped that most English players are now much better at playing spin compared to even 5-10 years ago. Only other batsman they have in the squad is Foakes and I doubt he’ll get picked until the rotation policy kicks in India and Butler gets a game off.

Shows practice really helps! Spinners got better and better as the game went on think it’s the best performance from English spinners in Asia since Embury and Underwood in the early 80’s ( also against Sri Lanka ).

We could go with same style bowling attack and replace Curran with Woakes but I like the left arm of Curran.

India will be hard for us they are a superb team even without there best players!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024