Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by 09:45 - Jan 18 with 1742 viewsKeno

A quick "how is everyone" and a reminder that, although some of may appear to be are complete eejits, this is a little community so please post or PM someone if you need a friend to talk to, and ear to rant in or just because ....

How's y'all doing?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 09:49 - Jan 18 with 1474 viewsSwansea_Blue

Appearances aren't deceptive in most cases

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 09:54 - Jan 18 with 1457 viewsKeno

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 09:49 - Jan 18 by Swansea_Blue

Appearances aren't deceptive in most cases

tis true, you've met Hoppy then?

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 09:57 - Jan 18 with 1454 viewsBluefish

You are a top man Keno.

I think week 3 will really see the reality bite for many. Home school with work becomes even more of a challenge. I have another meeting with the Head at ours tonight but I got him to send a message last week to really emphasise the fact that we just need parents to do their best. This isn't a competition to judge parents it is about mucking in where we can to provide support. Do not sacrifice your health over it but do communicate with teachers and do give time where you can. Everyone is struggling in many ways and it is taking its toll on all of those around you, even those that seem to be doing great and loving life. Teachers are parents too and they are not immune to this.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 10:05 - Jan 18 with 1446 viewsMetal_Hacker

All good thanks Keno

Little man off to secondary school after recent closure last week cause of snow up in Yorkshire but he's back now anyway but I do feel for those with children at home.We're fortunate that Mrs MH works for the NHS and classed as a key worker so we have the privilege being able to send him to school...and believe me we see it as a privilege as we're both working from home AGAIN currently

I was furloughed from March - August of last year and had to "re-interview" for my job again late August .Fortunately I must have bluffed my way through that process and find myself for now , still employed

Quite a stressy job BUT sales numbers are through the roof right now so all is good from that perspective

For those furloughed and having kids at home.....I know and feel your pain and worry BUT there is light at the end of the tunnel and like Keno intimates , don't suffer in silence

It's crazy times for sure but keep in there it'll get better !

Poll: If it were one or the other

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 10:11 - Jan 18 with 1435 viewshoppy

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 09:54 - Jan 18 by Keno

tis true, you've met Hoppy then?

Thanks... I resemble that comment!

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 10:17 - Jan 18 with 1418 viewsclive_baker

You're a good man Keno, how are you?

I consider myself to be one of the lucky ones, I don't have school age kids, my employment has thus far remained unscathed and the switch to full time WFH has been easy for someone who was doing it regularly before anyway. I've got more free time, more money, and I'm less exhausted from an unreliable commute. Putting those benefits to best use is another question though, I want to make the most of the time, although I'm going easy on myself while the weather is cold.

There's been more pressure on my wife in the hospital work environment in her job, but she's in good spirits. My daughter isn't school age so while care is harder, it's not impossible thanks to the support bubbles that exist. We've stuck to the rules throughout, and the compromises we've had to make feel relatively 1st world problem. I've lost holidays and a few quid, but nothing I'll lose sleep about and my family are all in good health.

I really do feel like a massive fraud for complaining while so many are much harder hit, but it's becoming a struggle. The monotony of it all, it feels like groundhog day at my desk, and I've started to question the pointlessness of it all. I think the majority of jobs are pretty pointless when you really break it all down, but mine especially. The whole industry is so unimportant in the grand scheme of things. I've lost all motivation for work and when I think back to the hours I was doing, travel, being away from home for long periods abroad etc I'm almost embarrassed by all that. I think this experience might trigger some sort of career change, which is a positive thing I guess. I need to think that through a bit more.

I think I'm generally doing OK mentally, and I wonder too if the media constantly reminding us that its tough for people's mental health becomes self fulfilling after a time. I don't mean to cause any offence to anyone with that, its a complex subject, and at the risk of sounding like a keep calm and carry on, stiff upper lip type, I see regular affirmations that our mental health is shot. I watched that Paddy McGuinness NYE programme on TV (it was pants) and within the first 10 minutes he had reminded me over 5 times how sh1t 2020 was and aren't we all glad to see the back of it. It was a bit like 'yeah, I get it'.

Anyhoo, I hope everyone is doing OK too. Hang in there.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 10:23 - Jan 18 with 1402 viewsIpswichKnight

Morning all, it’s a typical January start to the week here cold and grey doubt we’ll get much proper sunny daylight. We did get onto the Army ranges yesterday for a long walk which was good especially as they are now closed again until February ( so the army can use them! ).

I can hear the wife teaching her year 13’s at the moment.
Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 10:31 - Jan 18 with 1387 viewsKeno

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 10:17 - Jan 18 by clive_baker

You're a good man Keno, how are you?

I consider myself to be one of the lucky ones, I don't have school age kids, my employment has thus far remained unscathed and the switch to full time WFH has been easy for someone who was doing it regularly before anyway. I've got more free time, more money, and I'm less exhausted from an unreliable commute. Putting those benefits to best use is another question though, I want to make the most of the time, although I'm going easy on myself while the weather is cold.

There's been more pressure on my wife in the hospital work environment in her job, but she's in good spirits. My daughter isn't school age so while care is harder, it's not impossible thanks to the support bubbles that exist. We've stuck to the rules throughout, and the compromises we've had to make feel relatively 1st world problem. I've lost holidays and a few quid, but nothing I'll lose sleep about and my family are all in good health.

I really do feel like a massive fraud for complaining while so many are much harder hit, but it's becoming a struggle. The monotony of it all, it feels like groundhog day at my desk, and I've started to question the pointlessness of it all. I think the majority of jobs are pretty pointless when you really break it all down, but mine especially. The whole industry is so unimportant in the grand scheme of things. I've lost all motivation for work and when I think back to the hours I was doing, travel, being away from home for long periods abroad etc I'm almost embarrassed by all that. I think this experience might trigger some sort of career change, which is a positive thing I guess. I need to think that through a bit more.

I think I'm generally doing OK mentally, and I wonder too if the media constantly reminding us that its tough for people's mental health becomes self fulfilling after a time. I don't mean to cause any offence to anyone with that, its a complex subject, and at the risk of sounding like a keep calm and carry on, stiff upper lip type, I see regular affirmations that our mental health is shot. I watched that Paddy McGuinness NYE programme on TV (it was pants) and within the first 10 minutes he had reminded me over 5 times how sh1t 2020 was and aren't we all glad to see the back of it. It was a bit like 'yeah, I get it'.

Anyhoo, I hope everyone is doing OK too. Hang in there.

I'm ok, just kind of plodding through it!!

I'm glad I dont have to home school kids, I can imagine how stressful that must be

In a lucky as I have worked from home for years so I have a routine around that, although I miss being able to be out and about seeing clients.

Enjoying the guilty pleasure of Magnum PI I the evenings at the moment!!

Login to get fewer ads

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 10:45 - Jan 18 with 1369 viewsSteve_M

Morning Keno, and everyone else for that matter.

It's a lovely morning, bright and not too cold. I went for a walk before work and even had the window open in my living room for 30 minutes to get some fresh air. On top of that England comfortably finished off the Test in Sri Lanka.

Town won too and, whilst there are certainly issues with Saturday's performance, Evans clearly isn't going to sack Lambert until this season is over so we might as well enjoy the win.

Work might be painful today though, will have to see how that goes.....

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 10:57 - Jan 18 with 1352 viewsfactual_blue

I've just claimed my state pension!

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 11:09 - Jan 18 with 1334 viewsPendejo

Healthy, happy, less wealthy by the day.

Youngest offspring, final A level year of 6th form, continues to Zoom class. She's also one of a group of Volunteer Police Cadets who have been set a virtual challenge; walk from London to Moscow - 10,000 steps per day everyday for next 90 days.

Oldest offspring is moving into the house she and her boyfriend have bought (& renovated) in Cambridge, both got good jobs that continue largely untouched, albeit WFH.

Oldest male offspring decided to change his hairstyle from 4 different colours across hair and garden gnome like beard to all off. I hated the beard but to go all off... He works in a call center, so customer contact but luckily not f2f.

Youngest male offspring (unemployed) has lived in his cave pretty much as he does now for many years, the only difference being less people out and about when he goes walking.

I want to go to football, however crap, and have a few beers with fellow Ipswich supporting comrades before my money runs out and I have to claim UC.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 11:12 - Jan 18 with 1334 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Morning.
Another nice day for work in another lovely garden.
Mrs Pinewood is working away all week again, so just the trusty hound for company until Friday evening. Daylight hours are getting longer and a few bulbs are rearing their heads quite oblivious to the cluster f*ck going on in the world. This cheers me somewhat, and the hope that slowly, but surely things will get better.
Appreciate I’m luckier than many, so am at least thankful for that.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 11:29 - Jan 18 with 1319 viewsKeno

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 11:12 - Jan 18 by StochesStotasBlewe

Morning.
Another nice day for work in another lovely garden.
Mrs Pinewood is working away all week again, so just the trusty hound for company until Friday evening. Daylight hours are getting longer and a few bulbs are rearing their heads quite oblivious to the cluster f*ck going on in the world. This cheers me somewhat, and the hope that slowly, but surely things will get better.
Appreciate I’m luckier than many, so am at least thankful for that.

what type is the trusty hound?

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 11:33 - Jan 18 with 1314 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 11:29 - Jan 18 by Keno

what type is the trusty hound?

Golden Retriever.

Or was I supposed to say her at no 23

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 11:41 - Jan 18 with 1303 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I'm up a poo-filled tributary to a river without a rowing implement.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 13:41 - Jan 18 with 1267 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Struggling a bit now with the solitude of WFH.

Was okay for the most part, but struggling now that the gyms are shut. Normally go to kickboxing 2 or 3 times a week, and that gave me something to look forward to and some human interaction.

Also missing not being able to get a haircut, and am looking more like Toad from Super Mario every day...
Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 13:43 - Jan 18 with 1260 viewsKeno

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 11:33 - Jan 18 by StochesStotasBlewe

Golden Retriever.

Or was I supposed to say her at no 23

Nice!

I have two Welsh Springers, current fast asleep

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 13:44 - Jan 18 with 1257 viewsKeno

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 11:41 - Jan 18 by The_Flashing_Smile

I'm up a poo-filled tributary to a river without a rowing implement.

sorry Dolls

TWTD is always here to cheer you up!!

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 13:45 - Jan 18 with 1250 viewsKeno

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 13:41 - Jan 18 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Struggling a bit now with the solitude of WFH.

Was okay for the most part, but struggling now that the gyms are shut. Normally go to kickboxing 2 or 3 times a week, and that gave me something to look forward to and some human interaction.

Also missing not being able to get a haircut, and am looking more like Toad from Super Mario every day...

Not easy if you are used to getting out a bit

Do you have folks about you can talk to whether that be on the phone or zoom or something

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 13:52 - Jan 18 with 1239 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 13:45 - Jan 18 by Keno

Not easy if you are used to getting out a bit

Do you have folks about you can talk to whether that be on the phone or zoom or something

The Mrs is around in the evening. I guess it's much harder for those that live alone.

There's a lot of interactions with colleagues, video calls/mobile/messenger. Just not quite the same is it.

I think one good thing to come out of this is it has made me realise I should make more effort to see family when we are able to do so!

Hope all is well at your end.
Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 14:17 - Jan 18 with 1227 viewsCoastalblue

Back to work tonight for another 6 day shift, though having the weekend off was a nice occasional treat. I have a slight optimism that things might slowly start to improve with the world, and my part in it now.
I dearly want to get back to doing something I love to pay the bills, but realistically that's likely to be next year rather than this so am just trying to get the most out of what I'm doing now. (I don't actually dislike the work I'm currently doing but it doesn't really pay enough and I can't say I look forward to it)

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 14:19 - Jan 18 with 1219 viewsKeno

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 13:52 - Jan 18 by SuperKieranMcKenna

The Mrs is around in the evening. I guess it's much harder for those that live alone.

There's a lot of interactions with colleagues, video calls/mobile/messenger. Just not quite the same is it.

I think one good thing to come out of this is it has made me realise I should make more effort to see family when we are able to do so!

Hope all is well at your end.

I'm ok, as I said plodding through it

blimey things must be bad if you are talking to the Mrs!! (haha)

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 14:24 - Jan 18 with 1217 viewsclive_baker

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 14:17 - Jan 18 by Coastalblue

Back to work tonight for another 6 day shift, though having the weekend off was a nice occasional treat. I have a slight optimism that things might slowly start to improve with the world, and my part in it now.
I dearly want to get back to doing something I love to pay the bills, but realistically that's likely to be next year rather than this so am just trying to get the most out of what I'm doing now. (I don't actually dislike the work I'm currently doing but it doesn't really pay enough and I can't say I look forward to it)

"I dearly want to get back to doing something I love to pay the bills".

I hear you. That's a definite positive that's come out of this situation for me, a chance to step out of the rat race and take a more holistic view of things. It's very hard when you're in that routine of work...pay the bills...holiday in the summer if you can...repeat, to think beyond that and realise that work is a huge part of our lives, we should really enjoy it as much as possible and I'm definitely guilty of it being a means to an end.

It's really exciting and energising to scribble down ideas and theorise about what that alternative might look like, I've started the process recently.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 14:25 - Jan 18 with 1213 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 13:44 - Jan 18 by Keno

sorry Dolls

TWTD is always here to cheer you up!!

I lost my creative partner as well as my job! She got offered her dream job as a creative director at a computer game company, so I've got to find a new partner before a new job! Unless I decide to do something else. Uncertain times right now.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 14:31 - Jan 18 with 1200 viewsKeno

Groundhog week!! another Monday clicks by on 14:25 - Jan 18 by The_Flashing_Smile

I lost my creative partner as well as my job! She got offered her dream job as a creative director at a computer game company, so I've got to find a new partner before a new job! Unless I decide to do something else. Uncertain times right now.

ouch!! that not a good situation especially at a time like this!!

Any ideas on what you could do?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024