Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
You voted for it, you live with it 13:02 - Jan 18 with 3725 viewspointofblue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55706114

Getting sick and tired of the whining now. They were warned what would happen if Leave won and the sector called out for it anyway. Now they’re moaning about the result? Might make me sound unsympathetic but tough.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2021 13:02]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:06 - Jan 18 with 1965 viewsnoggin

Scotland voted remain.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:06 - Jan 18 with 1965 viewsfooters

I'm dumbfounded that people in the fishing industry seem unaware that a very large percentage of UK fishermen's catches are not in UK waters and that fish and shellfish tend to go off fairly quickly. How stupid do you have to be? Or do they think all the lovely European fish will migrate to Brexit Britain, or that fish will somehow be exempt from new border controls?

Maybe the people on here who were spouting off about the benefits for fishing towns could tell us where we're going wrong here.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:07 - Jan 18 with 1944 viewsDanTheMan

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:06 - Jan 18 by noggin

Scotland voted remain.

Didn't the fishing industry campaign for Leave though?

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:09 - Jan 18 with 1927 viewsnoggin

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:07 - Jan 18 by DanTheMan

I don't know but I remember interviews with Scottish fisherman who were very much in the remain camp.

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:09 - Jan 18 with 1919 viewsStokieBlue

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:06 - Jan 18 by noggin

Scotland voted remain.

Yes Scotland did but the Scottish fishing industry in general didn't.

From the Times:

"Fishing communities bucked the trend north of the border by voting strongly in favour of leaving the EU, despite 62 per cent of the population of Scotland backing Remain.

It was hoped that leaving the European Union would give fishermen exclusive access to the waters off the UK, securing a bright future for the Scottish fleet, which has struggled to cope with stringent EU quotas."

An important distinction in this case.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:17 - Jan 18 with 1858 viewsnoggin

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:09 - Jan 18 by StokieBlue

Yes Scotland did but the Scottish fishing industry in general didn't.

From the Times:

"Fishing communities bucked the trend north of the border by voting strongly in favour of leaving the EU, despite 62 per cent of the population of Scotland backing Remain.

It was hoped that leaving the European Union would give fishermen exclusive access to the waters off the UK, securing a bright future for the Scottish fleet, which has struggled to cope with stringent EU quotas."

An important distinction in this case.

SB

Ah ok, well then yes, they deserve their current woes.

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:18 - Jan 18 with 1851 viewsfactual_blue

They want compensation, but they're just being shellfish.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:19 - Jan 18 with 1832 viewsMetal_Hacker

Living in Sheffield I seem to remember watching the "local " news and most of the East Coast (Grimsby ,Hull etc ) were up for leaving

Sorry but reap what you sew and all that

Poll: If it were one or the other

Login to get fewer ads

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:20 - Jan 18 with 1819 viewsjeera

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:19 - Jan 18 by Metal_Hacker

Living in Sheffield I seem to remember watching the "local " news and most of the East Coast (Grimsby ,Hull etc ) were up for leaving

Sorry but reap what you sew and all that

I can't decide if that's a fishing net pun.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:23 - Jan 18 with 1815 viewsBlueBadger

I mean, thank god an industry that is totally dependant on getting its product to market quickly didn’t wholesale throw its weight behind something that was obviously going to cause more paperwork and delay. I mean that would have been REALLY f*cking stupid.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2021 13:25]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:25 - Jan 18 with 1786 viewsjaykay

it will be the farmers next.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:27 - Jan 18 with 1782 viewslongtimefan

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:09 - Jan 18 by noggin

I don't know but I remember interviews with Scottish fisherman who were very much in the remain camp.

I remember radio interviews with Scottish fishermen who’s accents were so broad I could barely understand them. They were Leavers to a man though.
You voted for it, you live with it on 13:27 - Jan 18 with 1782 viewsfactual_blue

julia mummery, whose family seem to control Lowestoft-based fishing, was a brexit party MEP.

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:28 - Jan 18 with 1775 viewsfactual_blue

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:20 - Jan 18 by jeera

I can't decide if that's a fishing net pun.

Also, reaping and sowing aren't fishing activities.

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:29 - Jan 18 with 1777 viewsfooters

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:27 - Jan 18 by factual_blue

julia mummery, whose family seem to control Lowestoft-based fishing, was a brexit party MEP.

I think from a Lowestoft POV it's a question of revenge.

The greasy spoon cafe on Lowestoft docks is called, wait for it, The Europa.

Maybe it was all their floppy toast and overcooked sausages which are to blame for all this.

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:30 - Jan 18 with 1763 viewsfactual_blue

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:29 - Jan 18 by footers

I think from a Lowestoft POV it's a question of revenge.

The greasy spoon cafe on Lowestoft docks is called, wait for it, The Europa.

Maybe it was all their floppy toast and overcooked sausages which are to blame for all this.

Did they not have a floppy sausage?

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:32 - Jan 18 with 1756 viewsfooters

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:30 - Jan 18 by factual_blue

Did they not have a floppy sausage?

The night after landing the catch I'm sure my father and grandfather did.

Well, there are at least three ocassions where they didn't. But you wouldn't have the pleasure of conversing with me if they had.

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:47 - Jan 18 with 1702 viewsSwansea_Blue

They were quite vocal, yes. The Scottish Fishermen’s Federation (same people who wrote to Johnson a couple of days ago as they were surprised BJ's promises didn't hold true!) was fiercely pro-Brexit.

They seem to be waking up to the fact they've been played though. Which is good. The more who belatedly realise that Brexit was a con, the sooner we'll be able to rejoin (maybe).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:49 - Jan 18 with 1687 viewsStokieBlue

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:47 - Jan 18 by Swansea_Blue

They were quite vocal, yes. The Scottish Fishermen’s Federation (same people who wrote to Johnson a couple of days ago as they were surprised BJ's promises didn't hold true!) was fiercely pro-Brexit.

They seem to be waking up to the fact they've been played though. Which is good. The more who belatedly realise that Brexit was a con, the sooner we'll be able to rejoin (maybe).

Why would the EU have us back? I would assume that rejoining would mean taking the EUR and having a clause whereby we couldn't just decide to leave again for X number of years.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:50 - Jan 18 with 1677 viewsMattinLondon

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:18 - Jan 18 by factual_blue

They want compensation, but they're just being shellfish.

Now that we are out of the EU, can eurosceptic fishermen still blame their woes on mussels?
You voted for it, you live with it on 13:53 - Jan 18 with 1645 viewsSwansea_Blue

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:49 - Jan 18 by StokieBlue

Why would the EU have us back? I would assume that rejoining would mean taking the EUR and having a clause whereby we couldn't just decide to leave again for X number of years.

SB

For the same reason that they didn't want us to go I suspect; we're all better of in many ways as part of the EU. I'm fairly sure they'd take a pragmatic view rather than hold any grudges. For sure, they'd want some assurances though!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

You voted for it, you live with it on 14:03 - Jan 18 with 1596 viewsgordon

Data on Scottish Fisherpeople's attitude to Brexit here - apparently 93% intended to vote to leave the EU. At least they can take comfort in the fact that the fish are happier now.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40152-018-0090-z
You voted for it, you live with it on 14:05 - Jan 18 with 1587 viewsBlueBadger

You voted for it, you live with it on 14:03 - Jan 18 by gordon

Data on Scottish Fisherpeople's attitude to Brexit here - apparently 93% intended to vote to leave the EU. At least they can take comfort in the fact that the fish are happier now.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40152-018-0090-z

Just out of interest, does the rule 'if it's in British waters, it belongs to Britain' also apply to refugees?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

You voted for it, you live with it on 14:06 - Jan 18 with 1576 viewsgordon

You voted for it, you live with it on 13:49 - Jan 18 by StokieBlue

SB

I don't think we'll ever rejoin the EU, but the single market / customs union have got to be a possibility.

Although definitely agree that the EU ought to just tell us to sod off unless there's clear evidence that our politics / public is no longer susceptible to populist nonsense.
You voted for it, you live with it on 14:07 - Jan 18 with 1576 viewsgordon

You voted for it, you live with it on 14:05 - Jan 18 by BlueBadger

Just out of interest, does the rule 'if it's in British waters, it belongs to Britain' also apply to refugees?

Yes but the problem is that the new paperwork makes it very difficult to get them to market fresh.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024