Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone have experience of selling an old phone? 13:36 - Jan 18 with 956 viewsITFCson

My old phone - iPhone XR is now surplus to requirements. 64B.

It is only 18 months old and perfect working condition, it does however have a couple of light cracks on the screen and a chip in the corner.
Any ideas please on the approx value and where best to sell?

Thanks
Anyone have experience of selling an old phone? on 13:38 - Jan 18 with 939 viewslongtimefan

That’s a very low Ram capacity variant
Anyone have experience of selling an old phone? on 13:39 - Jan 18 with 944 viewsJohnny_Boy

Sell it privately & ‘in person’. Think you will definitely get more money than from CEX.
Avoid posting it - it’s an absolute nightmare if the person doesn’t receive it.
Use Gumtree for instance to list & compare prices of other similar phones.
Meet in a public place, don’t use your address.

And as Bluebeat says, remember to factory reset the bloody thing & remove SIM card.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2021 15:00]
Anyone have experience of selling an old phone? on 14:14 - Jan 18 with 880 viewsBLUEBEAT

And don’t forget to wipe/return to factory settings so no chance of any private data being obtained.

Poll: W or W

Anyone have experience of selling an old phone? on 14:21 - Jan 18 with 868 viewsBehind_Enemy_Lines

You can use the CEX site on what valuation they sell theirs for, better still Facebook marketplace not only will give you an idea but should sell quickly and they can come to you cash on delivery. Be careful of people wanting you to post it, paying you money from one account then asking you to return monies so they can pay you from another account.
Anyone have experience of selling an old phone? on 14:32 - Jan 18 with 857 viewsGiant_Midget

I've tended to sell mine to Mazuma or CEX in the past, saves the hassle of having to deal with potential scammers and time wasters via ebay, Gumtree etc.

That said, I just checked the value of my current phone and the difference in buy and selling price on CEX is huge. I'd be tempted to sell privately next time.
Anyone have experience of selling an old phone? on 15:36 - Jan 18 with 789 viewsipswich78

- Make sure you completely remove APPLE ID
- Wipe the phone (reset to factory settings)
- List on Facebook marketplace or similar for a cash on collection sale, ignore all the people who want you to post it (put it's collection only in the ad)
- Person turns up, collects phone and pay you by cash / bank transfer

Easy.

Price wise depending if it's locked to a network or not... I'd say put it up for about £240 and see what happens. For an easy life, quick money in the bank look at somebody like Music Magpie.

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

Anyone have experience of selling an old phone? on 15:58 - Jan 18 with 767 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Anyone have experience of selling an old phone? on 16:05 - Jan 18 with 759 viewsCoastalblue

Anyone have experience of selling an old phone? on 15:58 - Jan 18 by BryanPlug

I'd never sell a phone on ebay, there's a well known scam whereby the buyer says it's a fake, ebay makes you refund them and they return the phone, except of course it's not the phone, it's a fake.

Just not worth the potential hassle imo.

Edit: Sounds like I'm aggressively shooting you down there, I didn't mean to, just wanted to mention the potential pitfalls of an ebay sale.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2021 16:11]

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone have experience of selling an old phone? on 17:05 - Jan 18 with 704 viewsjeera

Anyone have experience of selling an old phone? on 16:05 - Jan 18 by Coastalblue

I'd never sell a phone on ebay, there's a well known scam whereby the buyer says it's a fake, ebay makes you refund them and they return the phone, except of course it's not the phone, it's a fake.

Just not worth the potential hassle imo.

Edit: Sounds like I'm aggressively shooting you down there, I didn't mean to, just wanted to mention the potential pitfalls of an ebay sale.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2021 16:11]

Yes, Joe was saying the same on here a couple of weeks or so ago.

Happened to someone he knows I'm sure he said.

Solid warning there.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Anyone have experience of selling an old phone? on 17:10 - Jan 18 with 694 viewsipswich78

Anyone have experience of selling an old phone? on 15:58 - Jan 18 by BryanPlug

You'd get more on MusicMagpie than your pricing suggestions (depending if it's unlocked and if not to which network it is locked). The market seems quite volatile on the XR so I would be inclined to send it to a recycling company for ease.

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

Anyone have experience of selling an old phone? on 19:39 - Jan 18 with 635 viewsblueprint

How many songs can you store with 64b ? That’s a lot less memory than a Sinclair ZX81
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024