Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cinemas 15:06 - Jan 18 with 858 viewsMookamoo

Joint letter from various industry figures urging support for cinemas
https://www.cinemauk.org.uk/2021/01/leading-uk-film-figures-support-call-for-gov

Can't help thinking they've not done themselves any favours by holding back a lot of the big releases over the summer when cinemas were actually open. I know the financial impact of reduced seating is massive, but at least they would have helped the cinema chains tick over and ensure they will be there once this is all over.

I for one won't be sad to see the back of Cineworld anyway. Terrible cinema experience.
Cinemas on 15:10 - Jan 18 with 820 viewsSteve_M

It was the studios rather than the cinemas that held back releases wasn't it?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cinemas on 15:11 - Jan 18 with 813 viewstractorboy1978

I think the cinema industry was heading towards hard times before COVID so this could be the final nail. You've got to think that online streaming platforms like Netflix are going to be the way forwards with films going straight out into the comfort of people's own front rooms.
Cinemas on 15:30 - Jan 18 with 774 viewsBluefish

The showcase near me has just closed for good. It was always going to happen but it is still sad. It was one of the old school big cinemas out of town. Probably groundbreaking when it came out but hasn't had any investment since. The chairs were shocking and so dated

It was always I wonder how many people would be in the huge room for each film. Quite often about 4

Since then we have the odeons opening up with the big recliners and room for about 20 people and the game changed. Even the showcase opened their own de luxe then in town to rival their own out of town effort

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Cinemas on 18:37 - Jan 18 with 686 viewsJ2BLUE

You don't like Cineworld? So go to the other one. Why wish for Cineworld to go and lose those jobs? Better it remains a cinema supporting the local restaurants than become like the Odeon.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Cinemas on 18:56 - Jan 18 with 662 viewsvapour_trail

Cinemas on 15:10 - Jan 18 by Steve_M

Yes that’s correct. The biggest issues cinemas had when back open, was the lack of content.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Cinemas on 19:27 - Jan 18 with 625 viewsMookamoo

Cinemas on 15:10 - Jan 18 by Steve_M

Yes it was. I can't remember the directors penning a similar letter in the summer criticising their employeers for restricting content in order to maximise returns once cinemas could be at maximum capacity.

As an industry, there is more than enough money out there to support themselves and all the independent cinemas.

Simultaneous streaming and cinema releases are the only real way forward anyway. Perhaps Cineworld should be allowed to die.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024