Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This could get interesting 23:53 - Jan 18 with 1404 viewsStokieBlue

The Lords have inserted an amendment into the Trade Bill which would mean that the UK courts could decide if a country was committing genocide (rather than international courts) and thus withdraw any trade deals done with that country. It seems to be specifically aimed at China but obviously would have scope to cover any other countries as well.

It seems to have some Tory backbench support as well as support from Labour (who tabled the amendment).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/18/rebels-aim-to-insert-genocide-amen

I am assuming the Tories will still get it past but they are going to have to stand up and argue against a UK court being able to declare a genocide.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This could get interesting on 00:41 - Jan 19 with 1306 viewsHARRY10

The Commons could simply vote to reject the amendment, and vote to pass the Bill as it originally stood
This could get interesting on 08:22 - Jan 19 with 1135 viewsStokieBlue

This could get interesting on 00:41 - Jan 19 by HARRY10

The Commons could simply vote to reject the amendment, and vote to pass the Bill as it originally stood

Thanks, perhaps surprisingly to you I'm aware how the commons operates.

You've missed my point though.

If they do that then they are stating that the UK courts aren't really as important as international courts (which goes against everything they said with brexit).

Furthermore they would be less implicitly stating that they are more worried about trade deals that genocide given this would give the UK courts the ability to block the deals and they don't want to give them that power as it's more likely they will declare herbicide than and international court and all that goes on around them.

SB
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 8:44]

This could get interesting on 08:42 - Jan 19 with 1088 viewsGeoffSentence

This could get interesting on 08:22 - Jan 19 by StokieBlue

If they do that then they are stating that the UK courts aren't really as important as international courts (which goes against everything they said with brexit).

Furthermore they would be less implicitly stating that they are more worried about trade deals that genocide given this would give the UK courts the ability to block the deals and they don't want to give them that power as it's more likely they will declare herbicide than and international court and all that goes on around them.

SB

Already they are trying to water it down.

Amendment tabled. High court can rule on genocide, but a minister must then arrange for a debate calling on the government to take action which could include revocation ofva trade deal.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

This could get interesting on 08:46 - Jan 19 with 1078 viewsStokieBlue

This could get interesting on 08:42 - Jan 19 by GeoffSentence

Already they are trying to water it down.

Amendment tabled. High court can rule on genocide, but a minister must then arrange for a debate calling on the government to take action which could include revocation ofva trade deal.

It's really not a good look to be trying to find ways to allow trade with a country which has been determined to be committing genocide by the UK courts.

SB

This could get interesting on 08:56 - Jan 19 with 1050 viewsGeoffSentence

This could get interesting on 08:46 - Jan 19 by StokieBlue

It's really not a good look to be trying to find ways to allow trade with a country which has been determined to be committing genocide by the UK courts.

SB

it's about 'taking back control' apparently. We didn't take it back from the EU just to give it to our own courts.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

This could get interesting on 08:58 - Jan 19 with 1041 viewsBluefish

This could get interesting on 08:22 - Jan 19 by StokieBlue

SB

You are rather prickly lately. Is all OK?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

This could get interesting on 09:13 - Jan 19 with 1000 viewsfooters

I wonder if Yemen would breach a 'genocide' threshold too?

It's an interesting move, but one I sincerely doubt will get through with this lot in.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

This could get interesting on 09:18 - Jan 19 with 982 viewsStokieBlue

This could get interesting on 08:58 - Jan 19 by Bluefish

You are rather prickly lately. Is all OK?

Don't think it was prickly, it was pointing out that he had missed the entire point and that his response was rather condescending.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

This could get interesting on 11:39 - Jan 19 with 870 viewsjeera

This could get interesting on 09:18 - Jan 19 by StokieBlue

Don't think it was prickly, it was pointing out that he had missed the entire point and that his response was rather condescending.

SB

That means speaking down to people Fishers.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

This could get interesting on 11:43 - Jan 19 with 854 viewsBluefish

This could get interesting on 11:39 - Jan 19 by jeera

That means speaking down to people Fishers.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

This could get interesting on 20:25 - Jan 19 with 711 viewsStokieBlue

So it was defeated and we can still do trade deals with genocidal regimes.

Meanwhile, the US, who everyone has rightly been bashing for the last few years declared China a genocidal regime.

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024