Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should we stop using the term “rights”? 16:24 - Jan 19 with 2548 viewsCrawfordsboot

Reading a range of articles recently it strikes me that the use of terms like workers rights, my rights or your rights as an individual, the right for organisations to hire and fire etc. Is socially divisive and by definition confrontational.

Having to claim rights pits the individual person or corporation in possession of rights against some other party. At its crudest this is worker against boss or one political party against another.

What if we were to redefine most of these rights issues as responsibilities both of the individual and of the collective.

Society has a responsibility to look after all its members
A company has responsibilities for and towards all its employees
Employees have responsibilities to the employer
I have responsibilities to my neighbours.
My neighbours have responsibilities to me

We could start teaching social and individual responsibilities in schools as part of a core curriculum.

Would this change the mindset or am I just cracking up in lockdown? Or both!
Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 20:17 - Jan 19 with 518 viewsjeera

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 20:13 - Jan 19 by factual_blue

Read Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari.

'Rights' and 'Responsibilities' are nothing more than creations of the human mind. They aren't absolute and vary greatly over time and distance.

But absolute necessities if a civilised society is to remain so.

I say civilised, of course I mean that rather fancifully given so many people have their 'rights' stomped over on a regular basis.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 20:18 - Jan 19 with 518 viewsJ2BLUE

Disagree. Completely unnecessary and any move away from rights is something I can only see going one way and it won't be in favour of the people.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 20:26 - Jan 19 with 508 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 17:00 - Jan 19 by bluelagos

Yeah, but history shows that as people get older, they swing right. And as they older, they are more likely to vote.

So I don't share your optimism tbh. This current bunch of inept crooks are still getting 40 odd % in the polls ffs.

That's the message the media gives consistently, but I don't agree with it.

What is ignored is the effect of specific events on different generations. WW2 and National Service had a big impact on a generation.

Thatcher, Teacher's Strikes, Alternative Comedy and Spitting Image have shaped those of us going into our 50s now. On the other side of the coin, increased home ownership and Privatisation made an impact on those 10 years older and above.

The huge increase in the numbers going into Higher and Further Education will have a massive impact on those younger than you and I. There is a correlation between educational level and voting patterns.

Nearly everybody younger than 30 takes Equal Rights on every front, gender, race, sexuality etc, as an absolute given.

Brexit will shape the attitudes of most of those under 50 for years to come.

The change is coming.
Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 20:50 - Jan 19 with 489 viewsfactual_blue

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 20:17 - Jan 19 by jeera

But absolute necessities if a civilised society is to remain so.

I say civilised, of course I mean that rather fancifully given so many people have their 'rights' stomped over on a regular basis.

In the same vein, 'civilised' is a concept that changes with time and distance. For example, the civilisations of the Far East neither sought nor wholly embraced the arrival of Western Civilisation. Who are either of us to judge our culture is better than another? What I think people mean when they say their culture is superior is that they're uncomfortable with different norms.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 21:00 - Jan 19 with 477 viewsjeera

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 20:50 - Jan 19 by factual_blue

In the same vein, 'civilised' is a concept that changes with time and distance. For example, the civilisations of the Far East neither sought nor wholly embraced the arrival of Western Civilisation. Who are either of us to judge our culture is better than another? What I think people mean when they say their culture is superior is that they're uncomfortable with different norms.

Fine, civilised is the wrong word.

Co-exist without slaughtering each other on a daily basis.

And having a bit of respect regardless of one's [perceived] 'status'.

Supporting those weaker, without defence, of greater need.

There's a lot of us crammed into ever decreasing spaces and there needs to be rules, and within those rules, people need to have rights.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 21:00 - Jan 19 with 476 viewsHerbivore

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 20:50 - Jan 19 by factual_blue

SUQ

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 21:12 - Jan 19 with 473 viewsBlueBadger

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 20:18 - Jan 19 by J2BLUE

Disagree. Completely unnecessary and any move away from rights is something I can only see going one way and it won't be in favour of the people.

The only 'right's we should move away from are the 'far' rights.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 21:27 - Jan 19 with 456 viewsEireannach_gorm

I assume Trump will be removing this by Executive Order.

'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.'
Login to get fewer ads

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 21:53 - Jan 19 with 446 viewsfactual_blue

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 21:00 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

SUQ

Fair enough.

balls

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 21:54 - Jan 19 with 446 viewsSuffolkPOSH

The OP reminds me of something i read about 30 years ago:

We live in a ME society not a WE society.
Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 22:19 - Jan 19 with 436 viewsCrawfordsboot

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 20:13 - Jan 19 by factual_blue

Read Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari.

'Rights' and 'Responsibilities' are nothing more than creations of the human mind. They aren't absolute and vary greatly over time and distance.

Good point
Great writer
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 22:22]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024