Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should we stop using the term “rights”? 16:24 - Jan 19 with 2549 viewsCrawfordsboot

Reading a range of articles recently it strikes me that the use of terms like workers rights, my rights or your rights as an individual, the right for organisations to hire and fire etc. Is socially divisive and by definition confrontational.

Having to claim rights pits the individual person or corporation in possession of rights against some other party. At its crudest this is worker against boss or one political party against another.

What if we were to redefine most of these rights issues as responsibilities both of the individual and of the collective.

Society has a responsibility to look after all its members
A company has responsibilities for and towards all its employees
Employees have responsibilities to the employer
I have responsibilities to my neighbours.
My neighbours have responsibilities to me

We could start teaching social and individual responsibilities in schools as part of a core curriculum.

Would this change the mindset or am I just cracking up in lockdown? Or both!
Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 16:28 - Jan 19 with 2002 viewsHerbivore

You need both rights and responsibilities.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 16:30 - Jan 19 with 1994 viewsCrawfordsboot

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 16:28 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

But unfortunately we hear a lot about rights but very little about responsibilities.
Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 16:33 - Jan 19 with 1979 viewsmonytowbray

You aren’t wrong. Although I think it’s not a subject that can easily be drilled down to a few paragraphs.

The core problem is most people don’t realise having the “right” to do something doesn’t mean you should. It’s not the smoking gun many think it is as a defence.

If one’s “right” infringes on the well being of someone else’s “rights” then the law and/or moral dilemma is being ignored.

See; eating animals, freedom of speech, buying from legal businesses who utilise modern slavery, etc.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 16:34]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 16:35 - Jan 19 with 1957 viewsbluelagos

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 16:30 - Jan 19 by Crawfordsboot

But unfortunately we hear a lot about rights but very little about responsibilities.

Conformity through shaming mate, that's the new way ;-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 16:37 - Jan 19 with 1946 viewsmonytowbray

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 16:35 - Jan 19 by bluelagos

Oh you went out for a bike ride in the countryside you say?

TWTD never forgets…

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 16:39 - Jan 19 with 1933 viewsDanTheMan

It's the very old and effective way!

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 16:40 - Jan 19 with 1925 viewsCrawfordsboot

But without the religion 😉
Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 16:45 - Jan 19 with 1916 viewsKropotkin123

It is not other's responsibility to ensure I am human, it is my right. My human right... I get the point though, we should call them human lefts, as the right don't give a flying proverbial about them.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Login to get fewer ads

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 16:46 - Jan 19 with 1914 viewsbluelagos

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 16:40 - Jan 19 by Crawfordsboot

But without the religion 😉

Happy to ditch that, along with the monarchy.

Anyhow - back to your point, I think, based on quite a few years in the commercial world, most employers would fck over anyone and anything to make a profit. Be that staff, customers, the environment. They would do it in a nanosecond and they would be do it as hard and as brutally as they could.

There is a reason why they put execs on profit based remuneration, to stop their consciences getting in the way of maximising their profits.

On that happy note, I see the Tories are looking at removing some of the EU worker protections. Who'd have thought it eh?

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 16:49 - Jan 19 with 1905 viewsmonytowbray

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 16:46 - Jan 19 by bluelagos

Happy to ditch that, along with the monarchy.

Anyhow - back to your point, I think, based on quite a few years in the commercial world, most employers would fck over anyone and anything to make a profit. Be that staff, customers, the environment. They would do it in a nanosecond and they would be do it as hard and as brutally as they could.

There is a reason why they put execs on profit based remuneration, to stop their consciences getting in the way of maximising their profits.

On that happy note, I see the Tories are looking at removing some of the EU worker protections. Who'd have thought it eh?

Humans aren’t that far from basic evolution in the “primitive” animal kingdom. We let these people breed and force that attitude on their kids, that strain of humanity continues.

Which is frustrating as we’ve evolved to act beyond instinct. How do you fix it? Capitalism has become a curse, arguably it always was. We’ve never found a balance of harmony among each other and the wider planet/cosmos. As a species we f*cking suck balls. Global society has made it worse.

If re incarnation is real and I get a choice I’m coming back as an octopus, they are bad ass.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 16:51]

TWTD never forgets…

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 16:52 - Jan 19 with 1890 viewsbluelagos

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 16:49 - Jan 19 by monytowbray

Humans aren’t that far from basic evolution in the “primitive” animal kingdom. We let these people breed and force that attitude on their kids, that strain of humanity continues.

Which is frustrating as we’ve evolved to act beyond instinct. How do you fix it? Capitalism has become a curse, arguably it always was. We’ve never found a balance of harmony among each other and the wider planet/cosmos. As a species we f*cking suck balls. Global society has made it worse.

If re incarnation is real and I get a choice I’m coming back as an octopus, they are bad ass.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 16:51]

What makes you think you get a choice when it comes to reincarnation?

I'd be a cat if we did. Eat, shag, sleep...repeat.

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 16:55 - Jan 19 with 1888 viewsParsley

On the curriculum point, I think most teenagers are more aware of their social and individual responsibilities than many adults
Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 16:55 - Jan 19 with 1882 viewsmonytowbray

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 16:52 - Jan 19 by bluelagos

What makes you think you get a choice when it comes to reincarnation?

I'd be a cat if we did. Eat, shag, sleep...repeat.

I don’t think we have any say to be fair.

And that’s even if it’s real. Have you seen Soul yet though? That nailed my closest theory on any afterlife based on what science hasn’t sussed yet. A giant consciousness recycling machine.

TWTD never forgets…

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 16:56 - Jan 19 with 1878 viewsmonytowbray

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 16:55 - Jan 19 by Parsley

On the curriculum point, I think most teenagers are more aware of their social and individual responsibilities than many adults

Look at that red country on the 18-24 vote in the last election. Change is inevitable.

TWTD never forgets…

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 17:00 - Jan 19 with 1860 viewsbluelagos

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 16:56 - Jan 19 by monytowbray

Look at that red country on the 18-24 vote in the last election. Change is inevitable.

Yeah, but history shows that as people get older, they swing right. And as they older, they are more likely to vote.

So I don't share your optimism tbh. This current bunch of inept crooks are still getting 40 odd % in the polls ffs.

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 17:00 - Jan 19 with 1858 viewsHerbivore

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 16:30 - Jan 19 by Crawfordsboot

Neoliberalism gonna neoliberalism, bro.

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 17:08 - Jan 19 with 1839 viewsmonytowbray

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 17:00 - Jan 19 by bluelagos

Yeah, but history shows that as people get older, they swing right. And as they older, they are more likely to vote.

So I don't share your optimism tbh. This current bunch of inept crooks are still getting 40 odd % in the polls ffs.

I dunno, I’ve found most people I associate with have used climbing up the ladder as a chance to be the voice they never had at the bottom of the pile. Even if it is at times a bit NeoLib and greenwashed capitalism in the process.

My only regret as I approach a decade in my current career is not speaking up more against some of the crappy bosses/businesses I’ve worked under.

But you are correct and maybe my optimism is misplaced. I’ve worked with plenty of “intelligent” people who thought Boris Johnson was wonderful before he showed his true colours as an inept racist corrupt PM.

TWTD never forgets…

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 18:13 - Jan 19 with 1787 viewsfactual_blue

As a left-handed person, I find these constant references to good things being 'right' deeply offensive.

Left-handed People Matter.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 18:19 - Jan 19 with 1760 viewsazuremerlangus

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 16:28 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

And they need to be written the other way round.

Responsibilities come first...

Work before play

Duty before privileges

and so on
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 18:24]

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 18:26 - Jan 19 with 1740 viewsmonytowbray

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 18:19 - Jan 19 by azuremerlangus

Work before play

Duty before privileges

and so on

When work pays and privileges are equal that system only serves to oppress though.

TWTD never forgets…

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 18:27 - Jan 19 with 1740 viewsHerbivore

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 18:19 - Jan 19 by azuremerlangus

Work before play

Duty before privileges

and so on

Where is my right to play enshrined?

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 18:30 - Jan 19 with 1735 viewsfactual_blue

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 17:08 - Jan 19 by monytowbray

I dunno, I’ve found most people I associate with have used climbing up the ladder as a chance to be the voice they never had at the bottom of the pile. Even if it is at times a bit NeoLib and greenwashed capitalism in the process.

My only regret as I approach a decade in my current career is not speaking up more against some of the crappy bosses/businesses I’ve worked under.

But you are correct and maybe my optimism is misplaced. I’ve worked with plenty of “intelligent” people who thought Boris Johnson was wonderful before he showed his true colours as an inept racist corrupt PM.

On a point of order, he'd established himself as inept, racist and corrupt long before he became PM.

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 18:39 - Jan 19 with 1712 viewsmonytowbray

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 18:30 - Jan 19 by factual_blue

On a point of order, he'd established himself as inept, racist and corrupt long before he became PM.

Well yeah but the last year and a half he wore it like a badge of honour.

TWTD never forgets…

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 19:31 - Jan 19 with 1671 viewsDarth_Koont

I think you’re right that responsibilities have largely been ignored. But that’s tied up with the mantra of liberty, free and de-regulated markets, opportunity etc. You go too far with that and that’s when responsibility leaves the building.

Herbivore’s right that you need both. And there’s a balance. Rights vs. Responsibility. Liberty vs. Equality. Too often we seem to have a debate about competing rights or liberties but that’s mainly because it’s all out of kilter and everyone is scrabbling around for what they can get.

Pronouns: He/Him

Should we stop using the term “rights”? on 20:13 - Jan 19 with 1616 viewsfactual_blue

Read Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari.

'Rights' and 'Responsibilities' are nothing more than creations of the human mind. They aren't absolute and vary greatly over time and distance.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024