Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TWTD Hive Mind question - how do you pronounce "controversy" 17:26 - Jan 19 with 478 viewsKeno

do you say Con-tro-versy

or Con-trov-esy

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

TWTD Hive Mind question - how do you pronounce "controversy" on 17:28 - Jan 19 with 468 viewsArnoldMoorhen

The second for me, but when saying "con-trov-er-sial" it is more like the first.
TWTD Hive Mind question - how do you pronounce "controversy" on 17:29 - Jan 19 with 465 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yes.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

TWTD Hive Mind question - how do you pronounce "controversy" on 17:38 - Jan 19 with 440 viewsBrianTablet

TWTD Hive Mind question - how do you pronounce "controversy" on 17:29 - Jan 19 by Swansea_Blue

Yes.

Liar.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

TWTD Hive Mind question - how do you pronounce "controversy" on 17:42 - Jan 19 with 437 viewsKeno

TWTD Hive Mind question - how do you pronounce "controversy" on 17:38 - Jan 19 by BrianTablet

Liar.

come on, be nice lets not create a controversy

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

TWTD Hive Mind question - how do you pronounce "controversy" on 17:48 - Jan 19 with 430 viewsbluelagos

You need to ask?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

TWTD Hive Mind question - how do you pronounce "controversy" on 18:05 - Jan 19 with 414 viewshomer_123

Gimme a C
Gimme an O
Gimme an N

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

TWTD Hive Mind question - how do you pronounce "controversy" on 18:11 - Jan 19 with 406 viewsfactual_blue

Absolutely.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

TWTD Hive Mind question - how do you pronounce "controversy" on 18:15 - Jan 19 with 398 viewsFixed_It

Ooohh - controversial!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Login to get fewer ads

TWTD Hive Mind question - how do you pronounce "controversy" on 18:46 - Jan 19 with 380 viewseireblue

I have found some examples of usage through the ages.

I think it is fairly conclusive.

TWTD Hive Mind question - how do you pronounce "controversy" on 22:50 - Jan 19 with 332 viewsfactual_blue

TWTD Hive Mind question - how do you pronounce "controversy" on 17:42 - Jan 19 by Keno

come on, be nice lets not create a controversy

I can't find a clip, but there was many many years ago a Two Ronnies sketch in which they were on a discussion programme called Controversy. They agreed on every topic raised, so there was no controversy. As the programme ended with the words 'so it's good night from Controv-ersy', they then started bitterly disagreeing about the pronunciation of the word.

(Following the word's latin roots, it's 'contro-versy'. Probably. Or not.)

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024