Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” 22:46 - Jan 19 with 4216 viewsElderGrizzly

Lessons to learn from Israel...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/19/single-covid-vaccine-dose-in-israe
“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 10:18 - Jan 20 with 732 viewslongtimefan

“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 10:09 - Jan 20 by StokieBlue

I've not seen that.

They certainly said they were basing the Oxford single dose delay on non-public data.

SB

Yep. That was also stated in the same interview but he emphasised the Moderna data as it was also an mRNA vaccine.
Rate, yes that's what I meant..... on 10:18 - Jan 20 with 734 viewsBloots

As always, there are massive variations in..... on 10:07 - Jan 20 by DanTheMan

Wasn't it the death rate being reported, not the death toll?

I'd also argue that even if it was 6th, that's till pretty bad given our resources and geographical location.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2021 10:07]

....I'm not downplaying anything, it's a fooking disaster, but 6th in Europe doesn't have the same shock effect as 1st in the world.

That's my point really.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

As always, there are massive variations in..... on 10:22 - Jan 20 with 727 viewsElderGrizzly

As always, there are massive variations in..... on 10:14 - Jan 20 by giant_stow

No, not becasue British is best - because they're in post, calling the shots and the picture is still very unclear.

In any case, I'm sure our bods are looking around at others - they don't need message-boarders to light the way.

Nor trying to light the way, just debating an evolving story where our country appears out of step with everyone else in the world.
Rate, yes that's what I meant..... on 10:39 - Jan 20 with 689 viewsDanTheMan

Rate, yes that's what I meant..... on 10:18 - Jan 20 by Bloots

....I'm not downplaying anything, it's a fooking disaster, but 6th in Europe doesn't have the same shock effect as 1st in the world.

That's my point really.

Fair enough, wasn't sure if it was wires crossed over two different statistics.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 10:45 - Jan 20 with 674 viewsShineyblueknives

“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 05:04 - Jan 20 by Ryorry

IF the Pfizer vaccine is only 32% effective for the over 60s & even that degree of immunity such as it is lasts for only 21 days, and if no 2nd jab within Pfizer's recommended time frame of 3-4 weeks were available, then speaking as an over 70s with underlying health conditions that first jab would be completely pointless as far as I'm concerned - I'd never risk stopping shielding & going out for a couple of weeks if I was still 68% unprotected by a vaccine.

Personally I would prefer to have one of the other jabs which have a higher efficacy rate.

Would you have coitus with a dirty diseased prostitute whilst wearing only 32% of a condom?

Poll: How many of the remaining games do you think town can win

When of course.... on 10:51 - Jan 20 with 658 viewsBloots

Rate, yes that's what I meant..... on 10:39 - Jan 20 by DanTheMan

....that is the whole issue with everything.

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

What a world.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Rate, yes that's what I meant..... on 10:53 - Jan 20 with 653 viewsElderGrizzly

Rate, yes that's what I meant..... on 10:39 - Jan 20 by DanTheMan

“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 10:53 - Jan 20 with 660 viewsTrequartista

“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 23:52 - Jan 19 by Trequartista

I haven't mentioned safety at all as i am satisfied that has been covered. The "gamble" i mention is the assumption the Pfizer vaccine will do things that wasn't tested in their trials.

As i said, i think on the balance of probability the assumptions will prove correct and we will save hundreds of lives.

A final point that i haven't mentioned which provides comfort is that the 52% efficacy quoted by Pfizer is over the whole 3 week period between doses. Now an immune response doesn't actually start until day 10, so the efficacy figure they had for the final week between doses (days 15-21) is 89%.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 23:54]

The final point I made here has been re-iterated this morning by Sir Patrick Vallance, the 52% Pfizer trial data figure is misleadingly low because it includes the 0% period before an immune response is expected - it is really 89%.

The trial data is random ages of people whereas in Israel it is only older people hence the lower number. I am confident that is also in reality much higher for the same reasons above.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2021 10:55]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Login to get fewer ads

“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 10:57 - Jan 20 with 644 viewsStokieBlue

“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 10:53 - Jan 20 by Trequartista

The final point I made here has been re-iterated this morning by Sir Patrick Vallance, the 52% Pfizer trial data figure is misleadingly low because it includes the 0% period before an immune response is expected - it is really 89%.

The trial data is random ages of people whereas in Israel it is only older people hence the lower number. I am confident that is also in reality much higher for the same reasons above.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2021 10:55]

Raising the efficacy percentage by including younger people doesn't provide any extra protection to the older people so it's equally as misleading to quote that single figure.

If what you are saying were true it would be the vaccine is least effect with one dose for the people who need it the most.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 11:05 - Jan 20 with 609 viewsDebsyAngel

“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 05:04 - Jan 20 by Ryorry

IF the Pfizer vaccine is only 32% effective for the over 60s & even that degree of immunity such as it is lasts for only 21 days, and if no 2nd jab within Pfizer's recommended time frame of 3-4 weeks were available, then speaking as an over 70s with underlying health conditions that first jab would be completely pointless as far as I'm concerned - I'd never risk stopping shielding & going out for a couple of weeks if I was still 68% unprotected by a vaccine.

I feel the same way - I am once more worried sick that these vaccines are not going to help, why oh why does this country always have to do it another way to what the actual manufacturers say? No use vaccinating millions if it's not going to be much protection.

Are we only getting the Pfizer ones and not the Oxford ones here at all? Don't seem to hear much news that the Oxford jab is being used, and thought that was due here on 4 January?
“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 11:59 - Jan 20 with 582 viewsTrequartista

“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 10:57 - Jan 20 by StokieBlue

Raising the efficacy percentage by including younger people doesn't provide any extra protection to the older people so it's equally as misleading to quote that single figure.

If what you are saying were true it would be the vaccine is least effect with one dose for the people who need it the most.

SB

There are two different points getting muddled here. Raising the efficacy figure by comparison of not including the days where no response is expected is valid. Raising the efficacy figure by comparison of Israel data with trial data is fair because of age differences but would be misleading because it is older people we are currently vaccinating with the Pfizer jab in the uk.

So I agree with your point but it is not the point Vallance is making.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 13:09 - Jan 20 with 559 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 11:59 - Jan 20 by Trequartista

There are two different points getting muddled here. Raising the efficacy figure by comparison of not including the days where no response is expected is valid. Raising the efficacy figure by comparison of Israel data with trial data is fair because of age differences but would be misleading because it is older people we are currently vaccinating with the Pfizer jab in the uk.

So I agree with your point but it is not the point Vallance is making.

Apologies is this has already been covered, but some good news, drowned out in all the negativity (by the media, not necessarily here):

https://www.ft.com/content/943c8ca9-0c92-4366-8ab4-b569a1e123b8

If you are pay-walled, studies show the Pfizer vaccine to be effective against the 'new variant'.
“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 16:17 - Jan 20 with 494 viewsJ2BLUE

Edit: Ignore me, I got that wrong.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2021 16:18]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Rate, yes that's what I meant..... on 16:19 - Jan 20 with 490 viewsStokieBlue

Rate, yes that's what I meant..... on 10:53 - Jan 20 by ElderGrizzly

1820 deaths today, another record high by a long way :(.

Can't see it staying below 2000 over the next week or so, it's awful.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 16:26 - Jan 20 with 469 viewsN2_Blue

“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 22:48 - Jan 19 by Plums

I just saw Sky report this too. It would be very untypical of our excellent government to screw up good news wouldn’t it?
My parents had dose one last week and are booked in for dose two on 31st March. Really hoping that happens.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 22:49]

My parents have also just received 1st dose. I don't think they have a date for the 2nd and I'm concerned they'll either have to wait too long or they'll have a shorter of Pfizer one when it comes to needing the 2nd shot.

I'm still not convinced it was a good idea to change the time period of dosing. I get the need to vaccinate as many people as possible quickly but i'll feel they have jeopardised the protection of many people who think they well have good protection when they don't in reality.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 16:35 - Jan 20 with 459 viewsChurchman

“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 09:25 - Jan 20 by bluelagos

I think he was referring to the honesty of their reporting generally rather than specifically in this instance.

It’s exactly what I meant. Quite frankly, if people want to believe every headline and piece of bad news, they will. Until the people who know about this sort of thing have looked at it and the evidence is out there, I prefer not to speculate and put fear into people unnecessarily.
“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 16:43 - Jan 20 with 452 viewsDebsyAngel

“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 16:26 - Jan 20 by N2_Blue

My parents have also just received 1st dose. I don't think they have a date for the 2nd and I'm concerned they'll either have to wait too long or they'll have a shorter of Pfizer one when it comes to needing the 2nd shot.

I'm still not convinced it was a good idea to change the time period of dosing. I get the need to vaccinate as many people as possible quickly but i'll feel they have jeopardised the protection of many people who think they well have good protection when they don't in reality.

My Dad received a letter today for having the Oxford one at Two Rivers next Tuesday - I am glad, but I thought older people who had health issues were getting the Pfizer one?? He is 79 and has a lot of health issues.

Cannot understand how a friend of mine and his wife, who live in Luton has had theirs done - he is only 52 and has diabetes and epilepsy, but I thought he would be in the same category as me with my mild asthma and thyroid issues.
“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 16:48 - Jan 20 with 441 viewsJ2BLUE

“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 16:43 - Jan 20 by DebsyAngel

My Dad received a letter today for having the Oxford one at Two Rivers next Tuesday - I am glad, but I thought older people who had health issues were getting the Pfizer one?? He is 79 and has a lot of health issues.

Cannot understand how a friend of mine and his wife, who live in Luton has had theirs done - he is only 52 and has diabetes and epilepsy, but I thought he would be in the same category as me with my mild asthma and thyroid issues.

Think i'd prefer the Oxford one as it seems the better bet at the moment.

Truly impaired.

“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 16:56 - Jan 20 with 426 viewsN2_Blue

“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 16:48 - Jan 20 by J2BLUE

Think i'd prefer the Oxford one as it seems the better bet at the moment.

based on?

“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 16:58 - Jan 20 with 421 viewsJ2BLUE

“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 16:56 - Jan 20 by N2_Blue

based on?

Errrrr...based on the doubts over the effectiveness of one dose of Pfizer and the actual manufacturer saying they disagree with our plan. Oxford/AstraZeneca are on board with the alternative dosing and the data suggests it's up to 90% effective at avoiding bad cases of the disease.

Truly impaired.

“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 17:08 - Jan 20 with 391 viewsN2_Blue

“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 16:58 - Jan 20 by J2BLUE

Errrrr...based on the doubts over the effectiveness of one dose of Pfizer and the actual manufacturer saying they disagree with our plan. Oxford/AstraZeneca are on board with the alternative dosing and the data suggests it's up to 90% effective at avoiding bad cases of the disease.

erm...'doubts' so no actual evidence as yet then.

And didn't the original trial data show Pfizer having a better efficacy than Oxford initially. The drawback was the transport issues rather that the efficacy, When all factors are considered it maybe they have similar efficacy....but currently no one actually knows or can provide evidence to back up any such claims.

Way more data rather than just some reports from Israel are needed before one can say what the dosage regime may have.

Personally i'd rather have the Pfizer vaccine but with having the doses no longer than 6 weeks apart...which some people are getting.

“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 17:15 - Jan 20 with 382 viewsJ2BLUE

“One Pfizer dose is not as effective as we hoped” on 17:08 - Jan 20 by N2_Blue

erm...'doubts' so no actual evidence as yet then.

And didn't the original trial data show Pfizer having a better efficacy than Oxford initially. The drawback was the transport issues rather that the efficacy, When all factors are considered it maybe they have similar efficacy....but currently no one actually knows or can provide evidence to back up any such claims.

Way more data rather than just some reports from Israel are needed before one can say what the dosage regime may have.

Personally i'd rather have the Pfizer vaccine but with having the doses no longer than 6 weeks apart...which some people are getting.

No which is why I said 'seems to be' rather than 'is proven to be'.

Pfizer are not supportive of how we're using their own vaccine.

Truly impaired.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024