Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 1980/1981 season. 08:13 - Jan 20 with 3975 viewsSitfcB

What the hell happened towards the end of the season to not win the league? Lost 7 out of the last 10?

Did the scheduling finally catch up with us?
Plus injuries?

Looks like George Burley missed most of the season? That would’ve been a big factor?

Never really researched it, shamefully.

Seeing the Clive Tyldesley chart made me feel gutted we missed out on the Champions of England tag again and I wasn’t born until 1992 so god knows how it felt to those around at the time? Was it guttering?

Although obviously the UEFA Cup Win would’ve sweetened it!

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

The 1980/1981 season. on 08:25 - Jan 20 with 3199 viewsPJH

Fatigue, injuries-winning the UEFA Cup was and is in some ways just a consolation prize.

Thijssen, Mariner and Gates missed games towards the end of the season. Mills missed a few games, Burley's season finished in January.

A truly great team but not much in reserve-squads were not big because only one sub in domestic football.

When we won at Villa Park in mid April the title was still in our hands but lost 4 of the 5 league games after that although the last one was irrelevant.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2021 8:26]
The 1980/1981 season. on 08:26 - Jan 20 with 3194 viewsJimmyJazz

It was a very strange end to the season, and the sharp decline in our fortunes was just around the corner. The UEFA cup win sweetened things a little, although there was a sense of relief that we had actually won something. If we had lost the final, the season would have ended up as a huge disappointment.

The problem was the FA Cup, we beat Villa in the third round which meant they had no fixture congestion at the end of the season and won the league.

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

The 1980/1981 season. on 08:38 - Jan 20 with 3149 viewsChurchman

We just ran out of steam with so many games. Villa had few injuries, no cup runs and no European trips. The loss of Burley was really important. Steve McCall was a good player who couldn’t have done more, but he wasn’t GB and some of the balance went out of the team.

We came close to winning the lot. So close and we were that good. A lot better than Villa. We finished second the following season and deservedly so. Liverpool had the edge over us, but nobody did 1980/81. The league title would have been a fitting reward for that team, but there it is. It was a pleasure to see them play.
The 1980/1981 season. on 08:43 - Jan 20 with 3130 viewsbluefunk

To add to the other responses, we were the best team in England that year and possibly Europe, with a fully fit squad (although squad means something very different now). Injuries to key players, and a brutal schedule meant we were punished for success.

We beat Villa 3 times that season, but simply didn’t have enough left in the tank to beat Middlesbrough and Southampton and take the title. I remember watching on TV as Villa fans danced on the pitch at Highbury as news of our defeat at Middlesbrough filtered through to them.

Was it gutting, of course it was, but also it hadn’t become clear that that was our last shot, and we’d become so used to success that I don’t think it dawned on me that the club were going to fold like a pack of cards. And fold it did, Robson gone, the team was unpicked as players were tempted elsewhere. - and annoyingly, of those only Muhren and Wark (edited) exceeded the heights they achieved with Town (again so different to now)

And though I’m grateful to have had that success, it merely serves to emphasise the state of the club currently
[Post edited 20 Jan 2021 9:00]
The 1980/1981 season. on 08:51 - Jan 20 with 3102 viewsFtnfwest

As others have said, fixture pile up and injuries. Most of our players played 20 plus games more than their Villa counterparts, which is practically half a season extra in the same period. I read a stat years ago that villa only used 14 players the whole season so didn't suffer much from injuries (Shaw briefly i think).
As to how it felt - big 'highs' and big 'lows' really. The day of the semi final defeat was one of the worst but so was Bosko Jankovic (RIP) day. The team put the last ounce of energy into the 1st leg of the UEFA final and held on in the second. Was a great night, although couldn't go as no one would take me (only 15 at time) so had to listen on radio - updates not commentary - imagine that now!
The 1980/1981 season. on 08:53 - Jan 20 with 3089 viewsFtnfwest

The 1980/1981 season. on 08:43 - Jan 20 by bluefunk

To add to the other responses, we were the best team in England that year and possibly Europe, with a fully fit squad (although squad means something very different now). Injuries to key players, and a brutal schedule meant we were punished for success.

We beat Villa 3 times that season, but simply didn’t have enough left in the tank to beat Middlesbrough and Southampton and take the title. I remember watching on TV as Villa fans danced on the pitch at Highbury as news of our defeat at Middlesbrough filtered through to them.

Was it gutting, of course it was, but also it hadn’t become clear that that was our last shot, and we’d become so used to success that I don’t think it dawned on me that the club were going to fold like a pack of cards. And fold it did, Robson gone, the team was unpicked as players were tempted elsewhere. - and annoyingly, of those only Muhren and Wark (edited) exceeded the heights they achieved with Town (again so different to now)

And though I’m grateful to have had that success, it merely serves to emphasise the state of the club currently

mind you we lost the title on the last weekend the following year as well so 80-81 wasn't our last shot. Injuries really cocked that season up though, Thijssen etc
The 1980/1981 season. on 08:54 - Jan 20 with 3084 viewsmikeybloo88

It was guttering...and we played like a load of drains at the end.

Seriously though, we had no strength in depth so we felt our injuries more than Villa. We were the best footballing team in the country in terms of skill and flair and if we'd been able to field our first eleven for 90% of he games, we'd have probably won it. Villa were solid, functional and effective and didn't get beaten easily...I think they were mentally tougher overall.

Our football was a joy to behold and I feel privileged to have seen it all from 1978 to 1982...and it's still a source of pride to me that so many neutrals at the time wanted us to win it and many still make reference even today to that team...we definitely left a mark on that era.
The 1980/1981 season. on 08:56 - Jan 20 with 3057 viewsBlueyandCrazy

Indeed the Burley injury was critical. Steve McCall did a sterling job and was a very decent squad player, as was an even half fit Beattie that season. The problem was beyond that we didn't have much strength and the number of games caught up with us.

What a season though, but as the other posters state, whilst it was a relief then just to win the UEFA cup, we didn't fully appreciate the significance of missing out on the rest; we thought we'd just go again - we did for Robson's last season, but then that was it.....really.

Once Robson had gone, the Board needed to fund the Pioneer Stand; the players had respected Ferguson as a coach, but didn't see him as a manager, and also took the opportunity to look for bigger paydays elsewhere.....

Not sure I agree that Muhren was the only one who went on to greater success; Butcher (although he stayed for another 5 years in fact), went on to further success with Rangers and England, Wark had a great season or two with Liverpool, before injury meant he lost his place (can't then forget his comebacks at Itfc!).

Poll: Worst ever ITFC manager

Login to get fewer ads

The 1980/1981 season. on 08:59 - Jan 20 with 3034 viewsbluefunk

The 1980/1981 season. on 08:56 - Jan 20 by BlueyandCrazy

Indeed the Burley injury was critical. Steve McCall did a sterling job and was a very decent squad player, as was an even half fit Beattie that season. The problem was beyond that we didn't have much strength and the number of games caught up with us.

What a season though, but as the other posters state, whilst it was a relief then just to win the UEFA cup, we didn't fully appreciate the significance of missing out on the rest; we thought we'd just go again - we did for Robson's last season, but then that was it.....really.

Once Robson had gone, the Board needed to fund the Pioneer Stand; the players had respected Ferguson as a coach, but didn't see him as a manager, and also took the opportunity to look for bigger paydays elsewhere.....

Not sure I agree that Muhren was the only one who went on to greater success; Butcher (although he stayed for another 5 years in fact), went on to further success with Rangers and England, Wark had a great season or two with Liverpool, before injury meant he lost his place (can't then forget his comebacks at Itfc!).

Good point re Wark I will edit
The 1980/1981 season. on 09:01 - Jan 20 with 3035 viewsChurchman

The 1980/1981 season. on 08:54 - Jan 20 by mikeybloo88

It was guttering...and we played like a load of drains at the end.

Seriously though, we had no strength in depth so we felt our injuries more than Villa. We were the best footballing team in the country in terms of skill and flair and if we'd been able to field our first eleven for 90% of he games, we'd have probably won it. Villa were solid, functional and effective and didn't get beaten easily...I think they were mentally tougher overall.

Our football was a joy to behold and I feel privileged to have seen it all from 1978 to 1982...and it's still a source of pride to me that so many neutrals at the time wanted us to win it and many still make reference even today to that team...we definitely left a mark on that era.

They used 13 players, I believe. I don’t think they were mentally tougher at all. They just played far fewer games with no European travel and we ran out of steam. Leagues were a lot more competitive and pitches heavier too in those days. Few easy games for the top boys then, unlike now.
The 1980/1981 season. on 09:01 - Jan 20 with 3031 viewsmikeybloo88

We can console ourselves with the thought that many club's fans never get to see their team play football of that quality, so we were blessed. The only time since then that I've been in any way similarly moved was the 00/01 season, but good as it was, the football quality wasn't at the level of Sir Bobby's great team.
The 1980/1981 season. on 09:03 - Jan 20 with 3021 viewsFixed_It

There was some solace in the fact that just about everyone realised that were were the best team in the country - and possibly Europe too. Losing the FA Cup semi to City at Villa Park was totally gutting - Beattie went off with a broken arm and the writing was on the wall. We just ran out of steam due to the number of games that chasing the treble entailed. Nobody would have begrudged us winning the lot, and as others have said, most neutrals were in awe of us at that time - we were most people's second favourite team. Great days - made even greater by living in Naaridge at the time!
[Post edited 20 Jan 2021 9:03]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

The 1980/1981 season. on 09:09 - Jan 20 with 2992 viewsmikeybloo88

The 1980/1981 season. on 09:01 - Jan 20 by Churchman

They used 13 players, I believe. I don’t think they were mentally tougher at all. They just played far fewer games with no European travel and we ran out of steam. Leagues were a lot more competitive and pitches heavier too in those days. Few easy games for the top boys then, unlike now.

My impression at the time was that they had more players who weren't afraid to play rough...McNaught, Bremner, Withe....and a manager who came over as a tough nut and one for the dark arts so perhaps that why I thought they were mentally tougher. You are right of course that it was primarily number of games and injuries that were key...
[Post edited 20 Jan 2021 9:14]
The 1980/1981 season. on 09:19 - Jan 20 with 2945 viewshoppy

The 1980/1981 season. on 09:09 - Jan 20 by mikeybloo88

My impression at the time was that they had more players who weren't afraid to play rough...McNaught, Bremner, Withe....and a manager who came over as a tough nut and one for the dark arts so perhaps that why I thought they were mentally tougher. You are right of course that it was primarily number of games and injuries that were key...
[Post edited 20 Jan 2021 9:14]

Villa did then win the European Cup the following season, which, had we managed to hold on and win the league, think arguably we could have also managed to do (despite the way we went out of the uefa cup to Alex Ferguson’s Aberdeen)

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

The 1980/1981 season. on 09:21 - Jan 20 with 2944 viewsitfcjoe

The 1980/1981 season. on 09:19 - Jan 20 by hoppy

Villa did then win the European Cup the following season, which, had we managed to hold on and win the league, think arguably we could have also managed to do (despite the way we went out of the uefa cup to Alex Ferguson’s Aberdeen)

And when Villa had to try and combine a European run with a league campaign they finished 11th the following season

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The 1980/1981 season. on 09:22 - Jan 20 with 2943 viewsKeno

reading this thread makes me want to cry partly for what we missed back then but also for the reality of what we have become

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

The 1980/1981 season. on 09:28 - Jan 20 with 2916 viewsFtnfwest

The 1980/1981 season. on 09:22 - Jan 20 by Keno

reading this thread makes me want to cry partly for what we missed back then but also for the reality of what we have become

i think we just need to be happy that it happened old bean. For some it never does.....ahem
The 1980/1981 season. on 09:33 - Jan 20 with 2898 viewsFtnfwest

The 1980/1981 season. on 09:03 - Jan 20 by Fixed_It

There was some solace in the fact that just about everyone realised that were were the best team in the country - and possibly Europe too. Losing the FA Cup semi to City at Villa Park was totally gutting - Beattie went off with a broken arm and the writing was on the wall. We just ran out of steam due to the number of games that chasing the treble entailed. Nobody would have begrudged us winning the lot, and as others have said, most neutrals were in awe of us at that time - we were most people's second favourite team. Great days - made even greater by living in Naaridge at the time!
[Post edited 20 Jan 2021 9:03]

i think for a month or two prior to the end of season decline we could justifiably lay claim to being the best side in europe. There weren't any stand out teams in the european cup that year. Liverpool won it by drawing twice against bayern munich in the semi and squeaking past madrid in the final which was a dreadful game plus had a poor season domestically.
The 1980/1981 season. on 13:53 - Jan 20 with 2556 viewsJimmyJazz

The 1980/1981 season. on 09:28 - Jan 20 by Ftnfwest

i think we just need to be happy that it happened old bean. For some it never does.....ahem

Indeed, i'm about the same age as you. So in our teens we had already seen the best we would ever experience, taken it for granted a bit.

It's strange but I even stopped following football so closely for the next 3-4 years afterwards. That was more due to my age - other things to spend money on, my mate who I went to the football with left to join the army - but also a strange sense of disillusionment with football starting kicking in.

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

The 1980/1981 season. on 14:43 - Jan 20 with 2496 viewsbluebudgie

The 1980/1981 season. on 13:53 - Jan 20 by JimmyJazz

Indeed, i'm about the same age as you. So in our teens we had already seen the best we would ever experience, taken it for granted a bit.

It's strange but I even stopped following football so closely for the next 3-4 years afterwards. That was more due to my age - other things to spend money on, my mate who I went to the football with left to join the army - but also a strange sense of disillusionment with football starting kicking in.

indeed we were the best in Europe as the journalists of Europe voted Ipswich Town the best in Europe that season 80/81 .And in my opinion we would defiantly have been European champions the next year as believe it or not it was easier to win the European cup than the UEFA cup as the UEFA cup had teams that finished 2,3 and forth in the competition and had a few more rounds. Obviously seeing the state of my beloved Ipswich Town now makes me weep, but I still feel privileged for those halcyon days.
The 1980/1981 season. on 17:09 - Jan 20 with 2392 viewsshady

Yes, We were like a boxer on the ropes.
Just too exhausted to compete, and injury ravaged.
Many players played when they really shouldn't have.
The Beat's case is well known.

I was at most games that season home and away and it was just so tiring
and I was only a spectator.

Many memories from which I'll pick a couple.
We took about 18,000? to Villa Park for a FA Cup semi,
but at the same venue, a few days later less than a thousand for a 'Title decider.'

Moral of the story: throw all cup games and concentrate on the league.
Oh, that may have worked better last century.

Even the penultimate game against 'Boro away, we were so close:
We were cruising at 1-0 and just trying to see the game out without expending
too much of our energy reserves.
'Boro were on their end of season hols and really were not trying that hard,
Sadly one of their foreigners hadn't read the script.
Also at that match with so much at stake; less than a thousand of us were there.
And some from their accents, were not from Suffolk. Northern Glory Hunters!
Although I know many of our supporters had already given up all hope by then,
as we were needing snookers.

And can you believe this.
I can't remember the actual prices, others may enlighten us with the details.
It was incredibly cheap to buy match tickets.
Even at the time I felt not only privileged to watch us at such a cheap rate.
Those were the days.
The 1980/1981 season. on 00:13 - Jan 21 with 2157 viewsTheBoyBlue

That we are disappointed that we didn't win the league too and indeed the treble is staggering considering the size of our club. No club of comparable size (in England at least) has achieved what we did. And not just that season. It was the pinnacle of a sustained period where we were not only one of the best in the country but Europe too.

It is the only thing that helps me come to terms to where we are. People say it is history and it is and it shouldn't serve to hamper the club sorting ourselves out right now, but honestly, what is the point of being as successful as we were - and indeed with Alf Ramsey - if we can't enjoy looking back on it, especially when that lot up the road - for all that they have been the better team for years and deserve their 'success' for how well they've been run - have got absolutely nowhere near it.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

The 1980/1981 season. on 07:08 - Jan 21 with 2071 viewspeterleeblue

The Easter weekend did for us in the end.
A home defeat v Arsenal followed by a 1-0 loss to "them" up the road.

I guess as others have suggested we simply burned out.

It begs the question would we swap the Robson era to have more seasons of consequence now. Say be a West Brom, Palace, Leeds or even dare I say it a Norwich. For me its a no but I bet there is a whole generation who would.
The 1980/1981 season. on 08:26 - Jan 21 with 2007 viewsChrisd

The 1980/1981 season. on 09:19 - Jan 20 by hoppy

No disgrace losing to Fergie’s Aberdeen side at the time, they were a tremendous squad which they ultimately proved winning the 1983 Cup Winner’s Cup against Real Madrid.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2021 15:15]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

The 1980/1981 season. on 08:33 - Jan 21 with 1986 viewsPJH

The 1980/1981 season. on 08:26 - Jan 21 by Chrisd

No disgrace losing to Fergie’s Aberdeen side at the time, they were a tremendous squad which they ultimately proved winning the 1983 Cup Winner’s Cup against Real Madrid.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2021 15:15]

That is true, they were a very good team.

I still look back at our 1980/81 with mixed emotions because there is the pride I feel for how good that team was but there is still disappointment that we ONLY won one trophy because three were on and probably deserved.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024