Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife 15:14 - Jan 20 with 3019 viewshomer_123

She informed me that for this evenings dinner we are having pie (chicken, ham and leeks) - fair enough - no problems with that.

I've just nipped down to the kitchen for a mid afternoon cuppa (and a slice of homemade carrot cake) to see her rolling out Jus Roll puff pastry and lay it on top of a dish full of chicken, ham and leeks.

I pointed out to her that, in fact, this means it's not a pie at all - merely a puff pastry topping for a chicken, ham and leek casserole. The best part of any pie is the side and bottom, obviously!

Suffice to say, an argument ensued (one of those ones that escalates all too quickly and you are not sure why or how) - I'm now back in the office upstairs with no tea and wearing some carrot cake.

I'm right though, aren't I - it's not a fecking pie is it!?
[Post edited 20 Jan 2021 15:29]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:16 - Jan 20 with 1458 viewsFixed_It

We are never right. Even when we are. You should know that by now.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:18 - Jan 20 with 1436 viewsfooters

Ah, the old pie debate. As someone who's not particularly fond of pastry, I'm happier with just the lid at home; but at the football or something you'd definitely need the proper full-pastry pie.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:19 - Jan 20 with 1428 viewsWeWereZombies

How about a compromise option? Tell her it is a pot pie:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/puff-pastry-chicken-potpie/

Hopefully she can find some home grown ingredients to add....

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:19 - Jan 20 with 1424 viewsHerbivore

Still counts as a pie, imo. I'm with Marge on this one I'm afraid.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:20 - Jan 20 with 1407 viewsstantheman

I proudly made my wife a gluten free meat pie the other day, at her request, and she said was ok but it had too much pastry. It was a pie. What did she expect?
So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:20 - Jan 20 with 1418 viewsfactual_blue

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:16 - Jan 20 by Fixed_It

We are never right. Even when we are. You should know that by now.

Happy wife, happy life.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:21 - Jan 20 with 1409 viewsGuthrum

The real mistake is using puff pastry for a pie rather than short crust.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:21 - Jan 20 with 1398 viewsHerbivore

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:20 - Jan 20 by stantheman

I proudly made my wife a gluten free meat pie the other day, at her request, and she said was ok but it had too much pastry. It was a pie. What did she expect?

With gluten free pastry less is definitely more.

Login to get fewer ads

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:24 - Jan 20 with 1366 viewshomer_123

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:21 - Jan 20 by Guthrum

The real mistake is using puff pastry for a pie rather than short crust.

I feel had I gone down this route - the carrot cake stains would be the least of my concerns.

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:26 - Jan 20 with 1341 viewsstantheman

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:21 - Jan 20 by Herbivore

With gluten free pastry less is definitely more.

But the pastry, in my opinion, was a damn site better than some gluten free options you can buy. Used a recipe that I saw online and it was better than some normal pastry options that I have had or bought. Hey ho.
So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:26 - Jan 20 with 1351 viewshomer_123

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:19 - Jan 20 by Herbivore

Still counts as a pie, imo. I'm with Marge on this one I'm afraid.

It's been mis-sold to me - is there some cheapskate firm of solicitors I can contact?

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:27 - Jan 20 with 1351 viewsSpruceMoose

This is simple. A pie is a filling entirely encased in pastry.

What you describe is a stew or soup with a lid. It's as much a pie as a hot dog is a sandwich.

Also, premade pastry? Lazy wench.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:28 - Jan 20 with 1341 viewshomer_123

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:27 - Jan 20 by SpruceMoose

What you describe is a stew or soup with a lid. It's as much a pie as a hot dog is a sandwich.

100% mate!

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:41 - Jan 20 with 1280 viewsMetal_Hacker

Plain and simple...it's a stew with a lid

Poll: If it were one or the other

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:44 - Jan 20 with 1266 viewsGeoffSentence

Yeah, you should be able to hold a pie in your hand and eat it that way. You'd have a job doing that with the topped off casserole.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:48 - Jan 20 with 1247 viewsFtnfwest

Its a pie, i'll have it if you don't want it
So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:49 - Jan 20 with 1239 viewsFtnfwest

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:27 - Jan 20 by SpruceMoose

unless it's a Shepherds pie
So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:49 - Jan 20 with 1240 viewshype313

You're right, it's just pure laziness not to put pastry around the side and bottom.

I'll leave you to tell her that though...

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:50 - Jan 20 with 1226 viewsHerbivore

What about shepherd's pie, cottage pie, and fish pie?

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:51 - Jan 20 with 1226 viewsfooters

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:49 - Jan 20 by Ftnfwest

unless it's a Shepherds pie

Or a cottage pie. Or a fish pie.

God, this is all so confusing.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:51 - Jan 20 with 1225 viewsSpruceMoose

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:50 - Jan 20 by Herbivore

What about shepherd's pie, cottage pie, and fish pie?

Stew with a mash lid.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:51 - Jan 20 with 1226 viewstextbackup

mine currently cant work, so shes asked if she can start taking wallpaper off in some rooms that'll get decorated etc.....
"yep that's fine, just don't do the front room, as it's a bit soul destroying looking at every room needing work, I can atleast relax in there"

the same day, maybe 3 hours later, started taking paper off in front room.

why even have a voice

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 16:02 - Jan 20 with 1188 viewsMedwayTractor

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:44 - Jan 20 by GeoffSentence

Yeah, you should be able to hold a pie in your hand and eat it that way. You'd have a job doing that with the topped off casserole.

Alternative wording of this pie definition:

Assuming that it lasts long enough to go cold, could you cut a slice & pick it up to eat it out of your hand? If the answer is no, it's not pie.

[I did read another version of this definition, something to do with "could you put a slice of it in your pocket", but that's too messy to contemplate and, besides, I don't much fancy a fluff topping.]

That leaves shepherd's pie as the exception which, in this case, breaks the rule, but then what do you expect from those who spend their working lives out in the fields with just a dog and sheep for company. NFN, I suppose.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 16:03 - Jan 20 with 1183 viewsearlsgreenblue

But are you sure it’s not a “tart” ?
So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 16:03 - Jan 20 with 1180 viewsHerbivore

So, just had a massive disagreement with the wife on 15:51 - Jan 20 by SpruceMoose

Stew with a mash lid.

You've got this one wrong, friend.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024