Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Light of the World 22:31 - Jan 20 with 961 viewsjeera

Getting a slot on TOTP '81.

Oh, as I type, they've skipped the London Town track they'd started to play and jumped to Beggar and Co spin-off.

Their loss.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Light of the World on 09:39 - Jan 21 with 832 viewsGlasgowBlue

They kept doing that. Playing a track in the background then going with a completely different performance straight after.

Good to se LOTW had a number album in the soul charts this year. Although there are only two of the originals left in the band, Gee Bello and Nat Augustin with Mel Gaynor from Simple Minds joining them on drums.

Breeze McKrieth, Kenny Wellington, David Baptiste still playing as Beggar & Co as well as performing and recording in the BritFunk Association, alongside members Hi-Tension and Central Line, and they also had a number one album this year with Full Circle. Bluey is still in going strong with Incognito.

If you get a chance to see the BritFunk Association live when things get back to normal, I’d highly recommend it.

I still reckon this is the most energetic and joyful performances you’ll ever see from a band on Top of the Pops.

R.I.P. Paul ‘Tubs’ Williams and Chris Etinne.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2021 9:42]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Light of the World on 09:48 - Jan 21 with 813 viewsbrazil1982

I enjoyed that last night, especially spotting Boy George dancing! A great year for music.
Light of the World on 10:45 - Jan 21 with 791 viewsWarkystache

Anyone ever been in the audience for TOTP? I had an opportunity in 1993 (student in London) but they wanted you there for 12pm so filming could start at 2, and it was Kd Lang and a load of Stock Aitken and Waterman types miming so we went to lectures instead.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Light of the World on 01:52 - Jan 23 with 712 viewsjeera

Light of the World on 09:39 - Jan 21 by GlasgowBlue

They kept doing that. Playing a track in the background then going with a completely different performance straight after.

Good to se LOTW had a number album in the soul charts this year. Although there are only two of the originals left in the band, Gee Bello and Nat Augustin with Mel Gaynor from Simple Minds joining them on drums.

Breeze McKrieth, Kenny Wellington, David Baptiste still playing as Beggar & Co as well as performing and recording in the BritFunk Association, alongside members Hi-Tension and Central Line, and they also had a number one album this year with Full Circle. Bluey is still in going strong with Incognito.

If you get a chance to see the BritFunk Association live when things get back to normal, I’d highly recommend it.

I still reckon this is the most energetic and joyful performances you’ll ever see from a band on Top of the Pops.

R.I.P. Paul ‘Tubs’ Williams and Chris Etinne.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2021 9:42]

I loved the original Light of the World album and it was one of my first 'grown-up' albums as it were, for a kid anyway. It was raw and energetic and absolutely epitomised the grassroots jazz-funk scene.

Later, I played the Round Trip album relentlessly. I was more familiar with the songs and it appealed to a wider audience yet still wasn't really well known on the commercial market as such. None of my friends knew who they were but liked the sound, but it also wasn't out of place when there were adult visitors to our home too.

I'd stick that on and people would listen, friends of my mum [and her chap], family, friends of theirs... a wonderful listen at the time. And yet, no one knew who they were.

Talented bunch of people and although I did follow up with some B&Co and Incognito, it didn't do the same for me in the same way as LOTW.

I still have those old records knocking around.

Yes, sadly and untimely end for Tubbs and Etienne.

Gee Bello had the most amazing voice and he did a bit of cover for George Michael on his Australian tour when he was hit with a bout of laryngitis I believe. I think Tubbs may also have been involved on that tour as a backing musician but I'm not sure without looking it up. He was certainly employed by Michael at some point.

I don't have a turntable so will have to dig out a bit of their stuff one night online and indulge a little.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024