Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Furlough looks like it's been extended past April 11:53 - Jan 21 with 2129 viewshype313

And the first thing you read/see is "told you, the great reset is happening and "get prepared for universal basic income"

Why do certain types of society have to always think something sinister is going on, or am I being naïve!

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 12:24 - Jan 21 with 2017 viewsJ2BLUE

I think the argument that UBI is coming has some merit but not as part of some great conspiracy. I just think America sending out cheques (sorry America, your English is unacceptable) is something the people will demand once they get a taste for it and if America does it then we'll surely follow.

I don't believe America or the UK can ever repay our debt. There's a great series on Youtube called Hidden Secrets of Money where this was predicted a while back. Looks like we're now entering the money printing (or in 2021 creating digital currency and having the central banks buy their own government's debt - yes I know they are independent before anyone says) era and with Democrats controlling the US it will surely begin. Harris is on record as saying the cheques should continue until the pandemic is over. Then what? The many millions of Americans struggling who vote Democrat are going to be happy with that help withdrawn?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 12:40 - Jan 21 with 1961 viewsmonytowbray

Imagine being told the government will stick a grand (potential stab in the dark figure) in your bank each month regardless of what you do.

Imagine thinking that’s a bad thing?!

I question anyone who doesn’t support UBI and their brain/heart capacity.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2021 15:06]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 12:41 - Jan 21 with 1943 viewsmonytowbray

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 12:24 - Jan 21 by J2BLUE

I think the argument that UBI is coming has some merit but not as part of some great conspiracy. I just think America sending out cheques (sorry America, your English is unacceptable) is something the people will demand once they get a taste for it and if America does it then we'll surely follow.

I don't believe America or the UK can ever repay our debt. There's a great series on Youtube called Hidden Secrets of Money where this was predicted a while back. Looks like we're now entering the money printing (or in 2021 creating digital currency and having the central banks buy their own government's debt - yes I know they are independent before anyone says) era and with Democrats controlling the US it will surely begin. Harris is on record as saying the cheques should continue until the pandemic is over. Then what? The many millions of Americans struggling who vote Democrat are going to be happy with that help withdrawn?

The economy and markers running the world has failed the majority. Sadly those it does benefit have most the power to keep it that way until we say enough is enough.

They just keep kicking the can down the road, making it worse and acting like there is no alternatives.

TWTD never forgets…

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 13:00 - Jan 21 with 1883 viewsBlueBadger

Done properly, universal basic income could be quite good thing.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 13:03 - Jan 21 with 1862 viewsmonytowbray

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 13:00 - Jan 21 by BlueBadger

Done properly, universal basic income could be quite good thing.

It’s the future.

TWTD never forgets…

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 13:13 - Jan 21 with 1843 viewsJ2BLUE

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 13:03 - Jan 21 by monytowbray

It’s the future.

Oh believe me I would LOVE it. I'd just like it to be feasible. It might well be but i've yet to be convinced. To be able to work 20-50% less making money for some rich person/shareholders and be able to use that time to volunteer for an actual good cause close to your heart would be amazing.

Truly impaired.

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 13:26 - Jan 21 with 1796 viewsipswich78

I'm at capitalist at heart, but I find the idea of a Universal Basic Income absolutely fascinating. Imagine having a basic level of income that simply 'allows' you to live. The stress that would take away for the everyday person would be incredible. If you 'choose' not to work and that's enough money for you then fine, however if you want to earn more go for it...

The future is AI and Robots... more and more jobs will be removed from society so we need to completely review how we work, live and get rewarded financially.

Is it right? Is it wrong, I am not going to remotely pretend I am clever enough to say so but I do believe it's a conversation that needs to be had.

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 13:29 - Jan 21 with 1772 viewsElderGrizzly

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 12:24 - Jan 21 by J2BLUE

America are sending out cheques because they have no Govt backed furlough scheme effectively.

That $600 cheque was it.
Login to get fewer ads

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 13:37 - Jan 21 with 1741 viewsJ2BLUE

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 13:29 - Jan 21 by ElderGrizzly

America are sending out cheques because they have no Govt backed furlough scheme effectively.

That $600 cheque was it.

The next one is $2000 isn't it? Point still stands that they'll want more and the Democrats will likely give it to them, especially as it has high level support.

Would be good to get the ball rolling anyway if it's viable.

Truly impaired.

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 13:37 - Jan 21 with 1737 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 12:40 - Jan 21 by monytowbray

Imagine being told the government will stick a grand (potential stab in the dark figure) in your bank each month regardless of what you do.

Imagine thinking that’s a bad thing?!

I question anyone who doesn’t support UBI and their brain/heart capacity.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2021 15:06]

The Finns trialled but ultimately decided against pursuing it for now.

Switzerland proposed UBI some years back, but citizens voted against it. Interesting article here:

https://www.ft.com/content/7c7ba87e-229f-11e6-9d4d-c11776a5124d

Ultimately, I'm open minded about it, but would like to see it trialled extensively elsewhere before we lurched into it.

I think there would be a lot of resistance to it, perhaps being viewed as a pseudo-communistic policy, and indeed many people have a lot invested in the status-quo.
Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 13:40 - Jan 21 with 1715 viewsJ2BLUE

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 13:37 - Jan 21 by SuperKieranMcKenna

The Finns trialled but ultimately decided against pursuing it for now.

Switzerland proposed UBI some years back, but citizens voted against it. Interesting article here:

https://www.ft.com/content/7c7ba87e-229f-11e6-9d4d-c11776a5124d

Ultimately, I'm open minded about it, but would like to see it trialled extensively elsewhere before we lurched into it.

I think there would be a lot of resistance to it, perhaps being viewed as a pseudo-communistic policy, and indeed many people have a lot invested in the status-quo.

Switzerland rejected it because they have referendums on anything which reaches enough support. The proposed level was vastly over any realistic level and the people who pushed the idea had no idea how to fund it.

Other studies have shown it has no effect on people's desire to work and can be a very good thing for mental health.

Truly impaired.

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 13:41 - Jan 21 with 1701 viewsElderGrizzly

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 13:37 - Jan 21 by J2BLUE

The next one is $2000 isn't it? Point still stands that they'll want more and the Democrats will likely give it to them, especially as it has high level support.

Would be good to get the ball rolling anyway if it's viable.

Hopefully it will be $2,000.

The point I was getting at is having sporadic lump sums given doesn't really help, as you never know what is coming next, or if it will come at all. Especially when it is so political over there.

The one thing this Government has got nearly right is the furlough scheme and protection for the vast majority of businesses/employees. And yes, I know there are a lot of people still not helped!
Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 13:48 - Jan 21 with 1662 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 13:40 - Jan 21 by J2BLUE

Switzerland rejected it because they have referendums on anything which reaches enough support. The proposed level was vastly over any realistic level and the people who pushed the idea had no idea how to fund it.

Other studies have shown it has no effect on people's desire to work and can be a very good thing for mental health.

Yes all of that is covered in the piece.

Personally I think the advancement in AI will be largely offset with the creation of new jobs, it certainly has parallels with the industrial revolution.
Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 13:54 - Jan 21 with 1632 viewsipswich78

Jon Richardson does a really introducing podcast titled 'Jon Richardson and the Futurenauts - How To Survive The Future' - On one of the episodes (this one I think: https://www.globalplayer.com/podcasts/episodes/7DrbHU8/) they discuss the whole concept of a Universal Basic Income and where it has been trialled etc.

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 14:24 - Jan 21 with 1561 viewsDarth_Koont

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 13:26 - Jan 21 by ipswich78

I'm at capitalist at heart, but I find the idea of a Universal Basic Income absolutely fascinating. Imagine having a basic level of income that simply 'allows' you to live. The stress that would take away for the everyday person would be incredible. If you 'choose' not to work and that's enough money for you then fine, however if you want to earn more go for it...

The future is AI and Robots... more and more jobs will be removed from society so we need to completely review how we work, live and get rewarded financially.

Is it right? Is it wrong, I am not going to remotely pretend I am clever enough to say so but I do believe it's a conversation that needs to be had.

It’s pretty inevitable as the value of the vast majority of human work is dropping rapidly.

To me UBI is just an extension of the same progress that made us provide free education and healthcare, a benefit system, 2 day weekend, maximum hours, workers’ rights, a minimum wage etc. Although needs to be said that the UK is backsliding and more resistant to this progress than our more enlightened European neighbours.

UBI feels like a major step but with that’s more down to the greatly accelerated technical advances within a generation.

Pronouns: He/Him

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 14:33 - Jan 21 with 1537 viewsStokieBlue

UBI has to happen at some point, although it's going to be very expensive to ensure everyone has an amount that allows them to live but that shouldn't be an obstacle to it happening.

Will be a lot of complaints from some areas of course.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 14:56 - Jan 21 with 1490 viewsSpruceMoose

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 13:26 - Jan 21 by ipswich78

We need to start planning for a more and more automated world.

3.5 million people work as truck drivers in the US. What are they going to go and do when self driving trucks inevitably become a reality? Who will they blame when they lose their jobs? How will they react when they can no longer provide for their family? Now think of all the other jobs that could in time be replaced by automation. It'll be a major issue.

There are going to be tens of millions of people looking for jobs, the kind of jobs that are either so incredibly highly skilled they won't get a look in, or of such poor quality that automation can't handle it.

Work needs to not be the main focus of living. We need a radical shift in what we consider to be a worthwhile way to spend our short time on the Earth.

A shift towards quality of life away from productivity, having more leisure time, enjoying more time to spend with one another, extra time to volunteer and help others, more time to be creative, more time to innovate, more time to educate yourself and others, more time to build and strengthen our communities and relationships - all of these things should be prioritised in our future societies.

They'll tell you it is a fantasy, but it doesn't have to be.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2021 15:07]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 15:07 - Jan 21 with 1454 viewsmonytowbray

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 13:13 - Jan 21 by J2BLUE

Oh believe me I would LOVE it. I'd just like it to be feasible. It might well be but i've yet to be convinced. To be able to work 20-50% less making money for some rich person/shareholders and be able to use that time to volunteer for an actual good cause close to your heart would be amazing.

The costs to police a system would be cheaper than our current benefits.

We are wasting money to feed people on bureaucracy. I don't think people realise that's most of government summed up to a tee.

TWTD never forgets…

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 15:10 - Jan 21 with 1441 viewsmonytowbray

The problem we have is the benefits system is a trap that prevents people from working.

Single parents can't afford to work minimum wage with childcare costs. Disabled people can only work X hours of they have their benefits cut. Plenty of examples.

It's a ceiling that UBI could smash.

TWTD never forgets…

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 15:10 - Jan 21 with 1435 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 14:33 - Jan 21 by StokieBlue

UBI has to happen at some point, although it's going to be very expensive to ensure everyone has an amount that allows them to live but that shouldn't be an obstacle to it happening.

Will be a lot of complaints from some areas of course.

SB

If it is accompanied by making less pointless stuff, the end of throw away fashion and incentivisation to make things that are not designed to break then it is fine IMHO.....however if it is simply to grease the wheels of continued rampant consumerism then count me out.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 15:12 - Jan 21 with 1422 viewsSpruceMoose

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 15:10 - Jan 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

If it is accompanied by making less pointless stuff, the end of throw away fashion and incentivisation to make things that are not designed to break then it is fine IMHO.....however if it is simply to grease the wheels of continued rampant consumerism then count me out.

Can I have your share then? I want to buy more fake TV remotes that make farting noises and disposable plastic drinking straws!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Furlough looks like it's been extended past April on 16:11 - Jan 21 with 1357 viewsSwansea_Blue

IT'S THE STORM! TRUMP AND SUNAK HAVE HAD A FACE SWAP.

Good. Has Sunak closed the holes yet around the self-employed? It was borderline criminal to leave those out of the original scheme. Or at least a very clear demonstration of where this govt's priorities lie.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024